Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

My take would be that the engineers created all life. Look at it this way, there are various stages of the alien cycle shown in the film, so I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that it's the same process for seeding earth with humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I dont think a blockbuster has caused this much confusion since Tim Burtons Ape film!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tom BJJ

David: “Why did your people make me?”
    Holloway: “We made you because we could,”
    David: “Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?”

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

piece of **** movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I enjoyed the film but there was a few niggly bits. The female lead was a Christian who was also trying to find an alien source of life on our planet. This is at odds with her scientific background and there should have been conflict around it but there isn’t. A character asks hers (about aliens seeding life on the planet) ‘How do you know?’ and she answers ‘I don’t …..but it’s what I choose to believe’. This is a ridiculous statement for a professional scientist to make and it just doesn’t ring true.

The film is a bit too reminiscent of the original Alien, trying to recreate some of the atmosphere is fine, actually stealing plot points is not (android trying to infect human for Weyland Corp., alien in ship at the end, strong female lead being the only survivor). I think the film should have tried a more original plot.

Good points though; Fassbender is superb (as always), special effects were great and the monsters are genuinely creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

al28283 wrote: »
    piece of **** movie

care to offer to something more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

care to offer to something more?

Why should he expand on his view? The film certainly did not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Why should he expand on his view? The film certainly did not ;)

A discussion forum should have more than comments of "I liked it" or "I thought it was sh*te"- most people on the thread seem to grasp that

comments like the above add nothing to the discussion of a film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

he saw that we had created in our own image which is a huge insult as the engineers feel they are our gods, so he got pissed and killed David and the others. This is also the reason they wanted to destroy us as Jesus came and started a shift towards a mono God world, in other words we stopped worshiping the engineers.

Actually the shift to Monotheism started way before Jesus turned up but that's beside the point. I agree though that he saw David and realised humanity had started to create life in its image, so he ripped his head off.

And, did anyone else notice the sexual imagery in the scene with the giant facehugger? When the facehugger impregnates him he kinda relaxes on him like a guy who has just finished. Really disturbing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

And, did anyone else notice the sexual imagery in the scene with the giant facehugger? When the facehugger impregnates him he kinda relaxes on him like a guy who has just finished. Really disturbing.

Not to mention shoving the tentacle down the engineer's throat and the fact the tentacle-monster's mouth looked like a vagina (particularly when it was still a baby).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Actually the shift to Monotheism started way before Jesus turned up but that's beside the point. I agree though that he saw David and realised humanity had started to create life in its image, so he ripped his head off.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention shoving the tentacle down the engineer's throat and the fact the tentacle-monster's mouth looked like a vagina (particularly when it was still a baby).

Its like ye never even saw the Alien movies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Have you watched any of the Alien movies? Sticky, oozy substances and stylised oral rape by phallic objects are pretty common to the franchise

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh I'm well aware of that, fear of male rape/penetration, phallic symbols, male birth yadda yadda :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

I went to see it the other night. Haven't been that disappointed since Shrek 2. Good effects and the 3D element was pretty cool. Terrible plot. Wooden acting. If I'd done my research and seen that the writer was the douchebag who wrote episodes of "Lost" then I could have saved myself a few bob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Does the giant facehugger die after he shot his load? or does he have some epic battle with the proto alien.

For me a lot of the problems lie in the subtleness of the film, I only realised a lot of things in it by reading this thread which is not a good way to figure outta a film. I never copped that the alien cobra thing was just the worms in the ground that had become contaminated by the goo leaking. Makes sense now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

tricky D wrote: »
    The interaction between her and Janek mentions robot and she then does a sharp turn telling him top be in her room in 10. Then he sings something 'if you can't with the one you want, love the one your with'.
    On Steven Still's harmonica...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

he saw that we had created in our own image which is a huge insult as the engineers feel they are our gods, so he got pissed and killed David and the others. This is also the reason they wanted to destroy us as Jesus came and started a shift towards a mono God world, in other words we stopped worshiping the engineers.
    Which is ludicrously Christian-centric. 2000 years ago, Christianity was a tiny Jewish cult.

bullvine wrote: »
    Does the giant facehugger die after he shot his load? or does he have some epic battle with the proto alien.

Dead I reckon and besides it planted the proto alien in the engineer, them fighting makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just heading in for a second viewing. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

If I'd done my research and seen that the writer was the douchebag who wrote episodes of "Lost" then I could have saved myself a few bob!
    There were actually 2 writers for Prometheus, Damon Lindelof and some other guy I never heard of. Lindelof came in at Scott's request to re-write the existing script by the other guy. While Scott didn't write anything, he certainly had input into the ideas used in the script.

But at the end of the day this is Ridley Scott's film - the writers delivered his vision of the film and he was obviously satisified with the script so you can blame him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

rednik wrote: »
    Just heading in for a second viewing. :eek:

Um, why?? Saw this last night - as my 11-year-old would say: "Nice story - needs more dragons n stuff..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I enjoyed it actually, really nice visuals in 3D. Not the most well crafted plot of course, but I think this film is pure escapism.

Science Fiction always requires a considerable suspension of belief. If you are a hardcore cynic then you should avoid nonsensical chewing gum like this.

A modest 6/10 for me.

Savman wrote: »
    I enjoyed it actually, really nice visuals in 3D. Not the most well crafted plot of course, but I think this film is pure escapism.

Science Fiction always requires a considerable suspension of belief. If you are a hardcore cynic then you should avoid nonsensical chewing gum like this.

A modest 6/10 for me.

Why should Scientists and Astronaughts not be held to a level of behaviour, that would you expect from a college first year? Simple BioHazard precautions should have been applied at least.

Oh I have watched them- I was just pointing out this common feature of the films. The Alien franchise is actually about fear of sex and pregnancy- that's why its full of men getting impregnated and has a strong female lead and the heads of the xenomorphs look like penises as well as their internal mouths.

Of course I've seen them :rolleyes: its just that it was only a minor detail and none of the people I went to see the films noticed it

Why should Scientists and Astronaughts not be held to a level of behaviour, that would you expect from a college first year? Simple BioHazard precautions should have been applied at least.

Lesson number 1 of space travel- don't touch the space cobra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Really enjoyed it. I had a few issues, but they were more with the behaviour of the characters rather than big questions left unanswered. I much prefer ambiguous hints to an AvP type affair where they lay it all out.

One thing that annoyed me was this...
    Not sure if we're still using spoilers at this stage but just in case...
    There was zero procedure. Even entering into the hollow, the two lead scientists went first. I'd have expected a security detail to head in first, at the very least, and leaving weapons behind because a word or two was said... say whaaaaat?!

Then the space cobra moment, they were all terrified of any sign of life, then they see a freaky and pretty aggressive creature and they're all "oh let's pet it."

Also, how did David sneak a jar back on board without any quarantine. They were decontaminating the loading bay after the storm, so why just let people stroll on unchecked.

All that lark kinda jarred me more than the alien threat. Thought that was straight forward enough.

Haven't read through all of the pages, but it's interesting that Holloway was having a very similar reaction (at least in appearance) to the SJ at the start. Could be that ingestion of the black goo has a different effect than submersion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I'm back: I unsubscribed from this thread way way back when more detailed information and trailers begun to leak out. I intentionally put myself into a blackout, avoiding like the plague any hints, spoilers, suggestions, innuendo or otherwise; for once in my life I wanted to see this film cold and with no foreknowledge of even the smallest of surprises. Whilst I saw the first trailer & the obvious visual evidence this was a film set in the Xenomorphs' universe, I wanted to be ignorant of just how much. Boy, was I glad to do just that; I didn't believe we'd actually go down the rabbit hole that much.

I saw it tonight, in 3D (awful btw), and ha; before I logged back into boards, I knew in my gut it would have generated masses of discussion and dissection. I wasn't wrong, not by half! I'm actually taken aback by just how much detail people are going into divining the inner mysteries of this movie - a lot of people themselves acting like David or Dr Shaw: an insatiable desire to know the meaning of life (or in this case, the movie) for better or worse.Missing the wood for the trees a little bit, perhaps?

I will say one thing & it's worth pointing out ...

Outside of any standard critique of whether the film was good or not (it was good, I loved it, a worthy film inside or outside the franchise), I believe Prometheus has successfully achieved one simply thing: it has given the moribund Alien mythology a well-needed kickstart, and a kickstat back into the meaningful, symbolic territory the original Scott film occupied.

It went back to its roots (literally!) and explored the origin of the species in the most thoughtful, meaningful & intricate ways possible; and most impressively, without cheapening the creature that terrorised the crew of the Nostromo. If anything, it's tonally & symbolically a companion piece to that first film, with all the accompanying sexual imagery and themes. It's amazing to think that Prometheus shares a common bloodline with Aliens Vs. Predator: Requim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

pixelburp wrote: »
    So I'm back: I unsubscribed from this thread way way back when more detailed information and trailers begun to leak out. I intentionally put myself into a blackout, avoiding like the plague any hints, spoilers, suggestions, innuendo or otherwise; for once in my life I wanted to see this film cold and with no foreknowledge of even the smallest of surprises. Whilst I saw the first trailer & the obvious visual evidence this was a film set in the Xenomorphs' universe, I wanted to be ignorant of just how much. Boy, was I glad to do just that; I didn't believe we'd actually go down the rabbit hole that much.

I saw it tonight, in 3D (awful btw), and ha; before I logged back into boards, I knew in my gut it would have generated masses of discussion and dissection. I wasn't wrong, not by half! I'm actually taken aback by just how much detail people are going into divining the inner mysteries of this movie - a lot of people themselves acting like David or Dr Shaw: an insatiable desire to know the meaning of life (or in this case, the movie) for better or worse.Missing the wood for the trees a little bit, perhaps?

I will say one thing & it's worth pointing out ...

Outside of any standard critique of whether the film was good or not (it was good, I loved it, a worthy film inside or outside the franchise), I believe Prometheus has successfully achieved one simply thing: it has given the moribund Alien mythology a well-needed kickstart, and a kickstat back into the meaningful, symbolic territory the original Scott film occupied.

It went back to its roots (literally!) and explored the origin of the species in the most thoughtful, meaningful & intricate ways possible; and most impressively, without cheapening the creature that terrorised the crew of the Nostromo. If anything, it's tonally & symbolically a companion piece to that first film, with all the accompanying sexual imagery and themes. It's amazing to think that Prometheus shares a common bloodline with Aliens Vs. Predator: Requim.

Sorry but your last paragraph reads like psuedo literary/intellectual rationalising B.S. tbh. Might want to correct the typo of the very last word too ;)

Lindelof weaved an intricate web off illogical, convulated, scientifically illiterate nonsense that not only cheapens the original but makes a mockery of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Calibos wrote: »
    Sorry but your last paragraph reads like psuedo literary/intellectual rationalising B.S. tbh. Might want to correct the typo of the very last word too ;)

Go for the ball, not the player; not sure though why it offends you that I might have seen parallels with Alien, a film whose sexual imagery is common cinematic lore. Hell the very design is sexual, thanks to the raving genius of HR Giger. Prometheus wasn't coy about drawing those parallels in the various creatures, both in their design and appearances, so it's not really a reach for pseudo-intellectualism to explore that avenue. Fair enough if you don't agree, or think the film was generally rubbish, but don't have a go at my post because some people want to read more into the themes and imagery than you care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 waterglass305

I just watched Prometheus and it was brilliant, I loved the atmosphere, music and the special effects were amazing.
    I'm going to talk about the film so major spoiler alert!
    I know it's gotten a lot of bad reviews but I don't see how it's bad, it doesn't give all the answers but if you sit down and think about it most of it makes sense. Also they want to make a sequel so any unanswered questions should be answered in that film.

I really hope a sequel comes out of this where we see the Space Jockeys home-world and get some idea of who they are.

The planet the movie is set on is LV-223 whereas Alien is set on LV-426, so the creature created at the end of the film cannot be a Xenomorph and you can clearly see the mural depicting a xenomorph so the Space Jockeys must've already created the xenomorph prior to the film.

As for the black goo it must be a biological weapon that either created the xenomorph or something that was derived from the xenomorph as some sort of by-product.
    I personally see the huge military potential in such a weapon, plant the stuff onto a planet, let it destroy the civilization then terraform it.

I was thinking, remember the Space Jockey at the start who died and seeded Earth, well what if he was exiled there and the substance he drank was some poison to punish him (to me he looked a bit surprised by what happened). Maybe that's why they want to destroy us, we are a mistake and are an embarrassment. Maybe?

What really got me was the Space Jockeys; they're meant to be ALIENS not fracking humans.
    In general I hate the aliens-seeded-Earth-with-life plot and we are the end result, it's cheesy and a complete load of bull! (especially from an evolutionary point of view.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly am baffled by some of the more extreme negative reactions to it. It's a flawed film with a frustrating third act (and what I'd still refer to as the worst script in terms of dialogue I've come across in some time) but still an interesting ones in various ways. Going by some responses you'd swear it was a flop on the scale or The Room or some other standard-bearer of awfulness. Completely at odds with what I, and several others experienced in the cinema over the last week: a curious, visually hypnotic and thematically ambitious (over-ambitious, perhap) film.

I've said it before, but I'd rather all Hollywood films had at least the ambition to provoke and intrigue that Prometheus does. Harmless fare like The Avengers is all well and good, and serves its limited purpose, but honestly I'm glad Prometheus received the resources to try something somewhat different. I've little doubt that thematically and stylistically The Dark Knight will blow it out of the water on every practical level, but give me a film that tries (and occasionally succeeds) in being distinctive and ambitious over dumb fun any day of the week.

I would wonder what people might have been expecting? Some people elsewhere have suggested the lineage of the Alien films misled some folks into believing this film would be more Aliens than what they got - gunning down spooky things jumping out of cupboards, rather than a bunch of astronauts searching for Gods, whilst having crisis pregnancies. In that sense, it might go some way to explain the hatorade being drunk.

That and the fact the internet, as a crowd, loves to give things a good kicking when they don't match up to the hype or expectation.

I listened to Mark Kermode's review after & I agree when he likened it with Star Trek & Contact (in a good way); that it's a 'proper' sci-fi film with big ideas & isn't afraid to use them; and should be applauded for that. A flawed movie for sure, but it was gratifying to watching something that had ambition in its themes.

Wait I don't think we are meant to use spoiler tags anymore- we passed that a long time ago. So I think we can spoil all we want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,709 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually fully agree with Kermode's review, and I wouldn't tend to have much time for him as a reviewer. It's a film I certainly wouldn't gush about - cautious enthusiasm would be chosen approach to critiquing this film - but nor is it one I feel nitpicking to death is fair. And, being perfectly honest, if you had the patience - I certainly don't - pretty much every Hollywood film could be dismantled in the same way, which completely sucks the fun out of cinema criticism to me.

Yes there's gaps in logic. Yes some of the execution feels off. And yes it's not as tense as Alien. Doesn't mean I didn't get alot out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Maybe it's just easier to destroy then to create when critiquing but reading through this thread one of the common themes for me is that the people who have issues with the film go into specifics as to why they disliked it where as the people who enjoyed it just talk in nebulous terms about themes and imagery and how pretty it all looks and ignore its flaws completely . This is absolutely their right of course but for the rest of us more blue collar Brett and Parker types it can be kinda infuriating , for us themes and imagery are all well and good, but only when coupled with a logical coherent plot and decent characterisation such as in the original film. Fact is I'd love to have my views on the films numerous flaws challenged or at the very least have prometheus enjoyers explain the reason why they don't matter to them but I don't think it's gonna happen tbh.

Fact is I'd love to have my views on the films numerous flaws challenged or at the very least have prometheus enjoyers explain the reason why they don't matter to them but I don't think it's gonna happen tbh.

Alright. You asked for it (although to suggest that us 'defenders' have 'ignored' the flaws is downright inaccurate).

It's been a long time since a blockbuster was preceded by so much fervor and hype. Indeed, many who were aware of Prometheus' legacy has been keeping track of it for a years now, when the rumour mill was only barely operational. The Internet kicked into spoiler overdrive over the last year: while some (myself included) attempted to navigate the minefield of pre-release information unscathed, others eagerly sought out every last scrap of information about the supposed 'Alien prequel' that they could. Even the potential for a 'PG-13' rating from the MPAA inspired furious retorts and conjecture on forums web-wide. But, finally, Prometheus has arrived: the bubble of hype has finally burst. Sure, curiosity remains about its box office potential (an increasingly rare 'R' rated blockbuster whose title doesn't make its franchise legacy immediately apparent). But only one question ultimately matters now: can it live up to that extreme hype and its beloved predecessors?

So, is Prometheus worth all the hubbub? In short: mostly. In long: it's a mess, but a fascinating one. Visually, it's a treat. Ridley Scott and his production team may have over considered the slick futuristic technology on display (I certainly lusted for the grimy industrialisation of Alien on a few occasions) but there are frequent moments of surrealism and mysterious beauty that truly wow. Thematically, it's bountiful in its willingness to explore big ideas. Darwinisim, objectivism, spirituality, the very nature of scientific discovery and curiosity: this is not a shallow film. Let us raise a glass to the science-fiction of big ideas, for once given the budget and production values it deserves. A blockbuster financially, but with oodles more ambition than anything else to come out of the Hollywood production line in recent times. Not to say it's a film devoid of pulpy thrills: a mid-film surgical diversion is the brilliant burst of intensity the film needs.

That said, its flaws are undeniable. While the ever wonderful Noomi Rapace impresses (finally shedding the potentially restrictive dragon tattoo) and a chilling, sinister performance from Michael Fassbender dominates, the supporting characters aren't up to much (barring the occasional moment of understated comic gold from Idris Alba). For every moment of visual wonder, there's one that veers too close to silliness. The script is clunky throughout: the dialogue struggles as it bluntly attempts to verbalise the film's thematic core, and its easily the film's weak link from beginning to end. The odd musical score simply doesn't work, with an inappropriate jingle repeated at the strangest of junctures. And the third act is an uncomfortable marriage between the film's intellectual ponderings and the demands of mainstream genre filmmaking. It's a mess, most definitely, but one that succeeds in engaging and provoking a little more often than it infuriates.

It really is a film that has its ups and downs. It's a film of contradictions: contradictions arguably represented by the Space Jockeys themselves. At times, I thought they were brilliantly creepy creations, but at others I thought they were unconvincing: far too obviously guys in makeup. But still, there were many haunting images throughout. The awakening disembodied head and its subsequent gooey explosion. The mystery and understated hostility of the alien environment. The powerful waterfall of the film's prologue. For once, the effects budget seems to have been put to good use, and although I remained unimpressed by the neon hues of the good ship Prometheus, it's still undoubtedly visually arresting. The tonal identity and pacing of the film are unique and fascinating. The med pod sequence is surely amongst Hollywood's great set pieces: violent, terrifying, unusual, intense. A perfect blend of directorial flair, inventive cinematography, passionate acting and inspired set design. It's not the only moment when the film's various elements come together beautifully, but it's one of the most thrilling.

Not too sure about the penis monster, though.

Thematically, I cannot praise the film enough. While I don't want to over-elevate the film's insight or importance, this is closer to 2001 or Solaris substance-wise than it is to its direct predecessors - not putting it up on a pedestal with those greats, but it strives for similar insight. It's altogether rare to see a film of this budget-scale with the bravery to explore bigger issues. It is a frequently provocative film about the nature of human curiosity, and our (potentially futile) search for fulfilling or definitive answers. Speeding off into space at the end of the film, Shaw embarks on an infinite quest for answers. On those terms, Prometheus operates as a wholly self-contained film - any lingering questions need no answering, because at its very core the film is about that search for the unanswerable. That said, there were times when the film did suggest that it was a simple Christian allegory - not least because the sole survivor is a self-proclaimed true believer (as the clunky dialogue is so keen to inform us at length). While it takes some interesting liberties with those particular spiritual ponderings (including Christian ideals co-existing with scientific ones), it may leave a sour taste for some while very much appealing to others.

With Damon Lindelof of Lost fame in tow, the film will (and already has) been accused of being too ambiguous. I couldn't disagree more: in fact, the film is almost too blunt in revealing its links to Alien films past and overemphasising unimportant plot points. Was all the stuff between Theron and her 'dad' really necessary (particularly that god-awful aged make-up)? Why do the characters so frequently verbalise the film's grand philosophical concerns? Couldn't some of the mysteries have remained, well, more mysterious?

For me, the film's real problems lie in the final act. The 'noble sacrifice' of the surviving crew felt too predictable and riddled with cliche. The Weyland subplot felt like filler, while the characters' deaths had little impact, emotionally or otherwise. The tentacle monster / face-hugger ancestor (something almost out of the more questionable anime out there) exists on the wrong side of ludicrous, and its final confrontation with the surviving Space Jockey was silly. The real clunker was the epilogue, though, when the film's relationship with the Alien quadrilogy is made abundantly clear with a Xenomorphy cameo. It felt like an unnecessary reinforcement of the more subtle, provocative hints of the film's legacy presented earlier. Scott and Lindelof (and his co-writer), in a break from tradition, seems all too willing to answer questions that don't need answering. It's almost as if they don't trust the audience to put the puzzle pieces together themselves. Perhaps the link to Alien is what will ultimately doom the film's long and short term reception.

That said, Prometheus is still a film with an extremely distinct identity. For that alone it is worthy of applause. Separated from its mythical predecessors, it stands on its own in various important ways. It even occasionally resonates with various themes and iconography of Alien films past in altogether subtle and rewarding. Dare I suggest it even has more smarts than Aliens or the later franchise entries ever had? It's not every summer you get a blockbuster so deeply individual and thematically complex. The film is a success in a wide variety of ways, even if its failings frequently frustrate. Overall, it's a brave, fascinating experiments that - allowing for some of its more suspect and unsuccessful artistic decisions - has a plethora of rewards for the viewer. Prometheus is unwieldy, flawed, eccentric, thrilling, mysterious, blunt, thought-provoking, silly, exciting: and it's certainly the the best film about Xenomorphs since James Cameron slapped an 's' onto the end of Alien. In a film that tracks the evolution of the infamous menace, it's apt that it has evolved a stale franchise into something that feels new. A film where the viewer should embrace the flaws and all, and they may just emerge moderately impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Saw this film tonight and I'm disappointed to the point that I wont be recommending it to anyone that hasnt already seen it.

Things like the ice cold nature of Vickers towards the rest of the crew seemed pointless but then again Lindelof's work is full of this kind of shíte and doesnt deserve any analysis. People are questioning whether she was human or a robot but does it matter? In the end it was irrelevant. He thinks putting in things that dont make sense or dont have any effect on the outcome are things that the audience will thank him for not explaining but just shows him up as a pretentious hack imo.

As other people have pointed out, the "scientists" were unbelievably reckless with their own safety and the safety of those around them. David putting them in harms way wasnt surprising but his behaviour was never scrutinised by the crew which was done in other Alien films very well. Generally speaking, the themes explored in the film are an incoherent mess, another great trait of Lindelof's work.

Alright. You asked for it (although to suggest that us 'defenders' have 'ignored' the flaws is downright inaccurate).

It's been a long time since a blockbuster was preceded by so much fervor and hype. Indeed, many who were aware of Prometheus' legacy has been keeping track of it for a years now, when the rumour mill was only barely operational. The Internet kicked into spoiler overdrive over the last year: while some (myself included) attempted to navigate the minefield of pre-release information unscathed, others eagerly sought out every last scrap of information about the supposed 'Alien prequel' that they could. Even the potential for a 'PG-13' rating from the MPAA inspired furious retorts and conjecture on forums web-wide. But, finally, Prometheus has arrived: the bubble of hype has finally burst. Sure, curiosity remains about its box office potential (an increasingly rare 'R' rated blockbuster whose title doesn't make its franchise legacy immediately apparent). But only one question ultimately matters now: can it live up to that extreme hype and its beloved predecessors?

So, is Prometheus worth all the hubbub? In short: mostly. In long: it's a mess, but a fascinating one. Visually, it's a treat. Ridley Scott and his production team may have over considered the slick futuristic technology on display (I certainly lusted for the grimy industrialisation of Alien on a few occasions) but there are frequent moments of surrealism and mysterious beauty that truly wow. Thematically, it's bountiful in its willingness to explore big ideas. Darwinisim, objectivism, spirituality, the very nature of scientific discovery and curiosity: this is not a shallow film. Let us raise a glass to the science-fiction of big ideas, for once given the budget and production values it deserves. A blockbuster financially, but with oodles more ambition than anything else to come out of the Hollywood production line in recent times. Not to say it's a film devoid of pulpy thrills: a mid-film surgical diversion is the brilliant burst of intensity the film needs.

That said, its flaws are undeniable. While the ever wonderful Noomi Rapace impresses (finally shedding the potentially restrictive dragon tattoo) and a chilling, sinister performance from Michael Fassbender dominates, the supporting characters aren't up to much (barring the occasional moment of understated comic gold from Idris Alba). For every moment of visual wonder, there's one that veers too close to silliness. The script is clunky throughout: the dialogue struggles as it bluntly attempts to verbalise the film's thematic core, and its easily the film's weak link from beginning to end. The odd musical score simply doesn't work, with an inappropriate jingle repeated at the strangest of junctures. And the third act is an uncomfortable marriage between the film's intellectual ponderings and the demands of mainstream genre filmmaking. It's a mess, most definitely, but one that succeeds in engaging and provoking a little more often than it infuriates.

It really is a film that has its ups and downs. It's a film of contradictions: contradictions arguably represented by the Space Jockeys themselves. At times, I thought they were brilliantly creepy creations, but at others I thought they were unconvincing: far too obviously guys in makeup. But still, there were many haunting images throughout. The awakening disembodied head and its subsequent gooey explosion. The mystery and understated hostility of the alien environment. The powerful waterfall of the film's prologue. For once, the effects budget seems to have been put to good use, and although I remained unimpressed by the neon hues of the good ship Prometheus, it's still undoubtedly visually arresting. The tonal identity and pacing of the film are unique and fascinating. The med pod sequence is surely amongst Hollywood's great set pieces: violent, terrifying, unusual, intense. A perfect blend of directorial flair, inventive cinematography, passionate acting and inspired set design. It's not the only moment when the film's various elements come together beautifully, but it's one of the most thrilling.

Thematically, I cannot praise the film enough. While I don't want to over-elevate the film's insight or importance, this is closer to 2001 or Solaris substance-wise than it is to its direct predecessors - not putting it up on a pedestal with those greats, but it strives for similar insight. It's altogether rare to see a film of this budget-scale with the bravery to explore bigger issues. It is a frequently provocative film about the nature of human curiosity, and our (potentially futile) search for fulfilling or definitive answers. Speeding off into space at the end of the film, Shaw embarks on an infinite quest for answers. On those terms, Prometheus operates as a wholly self-contained film - any lingering questions need no answering, because at its very core the film is about that search for the unanswerable. That said, there were times when the film did suggest that it was a simple Christian allegory - not least because the sole survivor is a self-proclaimed true believer (as the clunky dialogue is so keen to inform us at length). While it takes some interesting liberties with those particular spiritual ponderings (including Christian ideals co-existing with scientific ones), it may leave a sour taste for some while very much appealing to others.

With Damon Lindelof of Lost fame in tow, the film will (and already has) been accused of being too ambiguous. I couldn't disagree more: in fact, the film is almost too blunt in revealing its links to Alien films past and overemphasising unimportant plot points. Was all the stuff between Theron and her 'dad' really necessary (particularly that god-awful aged make-up)? Why do the characters so frequently verbalise the film's grand philosophical concerns? Couldn't some of the mysteries have remained, well, more mysterious?

For me, the film's real problems lie in the final act. The 'noble sacrifice' of the surviving crew felt too predictable and riddled with cliche. The Weyland subplot felt like filler, while the characters' deaths had little impact, emotionally or otherwise. The tentacle monster / face-hugger ancestor (something almost out of the more questionable anime out there) exists on the wrong side of ludicrous, and its final confrontation with the surviving Space Jockey was silly. The real clunker was the epilogue, though, when the film's relationship with the Alien quadrilogy is made abundantly clear with a Xenomorphy cameo. It felt like an unnecessary reinforcement of the more subtle, provocative hints of the film's legacy presented earlier. Scott and Lindelof (and his co-writer), in a break from tradition, seems all too willing to answer questions that don't need answering. It's almost as if they don't trust the audience to put the puzzle pieces together themselves. Perhaps the link to Alien is what will ultimately doom the film's long and short term reception.

That said, Prometheus is still a film with an extremely distinct identity. For that alone it is worthy of applause. Separated from its mythical predecessors, it stands on its own in various important ways. It even occasionally resonates with various themes and iconography of Alien films past in altogether subtle and rewarding. Dare I suggest it even has more smarts than Aliens or the later franchise entries ever had? It's not every summer you get a blockbuster so deeply individual and thematically complex. The film is a success in a wide variety of ways, even if its failings frequently frustrate. Overall, it's a brave, fascinating experiments that - allowing for some of its more suspect and unsuccessful artistic decisions - has a plethora of rewards for the viewer. Prometheus is unwieldy, flawed, eccentric, thrilling, mysterious, blunt, thought-provoking, silly, exciting: and it's certainly the the best film about Xenomorphs since James Cameron slapped an 's' onto the end of Alien. In a film that tracks the evolution of the infamous menace, it's apt that it has evolved a stale franchise into something that feels new. A film where the viewer should embrace the flaws and all, and they may just emerge moderately impressed.

Thank you for the prompt and comprehensive reply Ultimate, this was more what I was looking for , and while I don't agree that attempting big ideas and impressive art design make up for its many flaws I can at least see where you are coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Was the captain human or an android?
    • Didn't seem so bothered about the 2 (idiot?) human crew who got lost (were they fed bad directions back? Maybe I was too hard on idiot geologist. Hell, maybe Dave was being a dick and ensuring they'd get out of the wrong side of the stasis tube by tampering with his dreams. He could have been studying the planet for weeks if he delayed the proximity alert, then carefully built up a plan based on recon of the planet. Which would actually explain the location to land that makes little sense otherwise (why land where its about to go to nighttime otherwise?)
    • Consider that he's seen communicating with the 2 lost (and confirmed as humans by their deaths) scientists. And he don't give a damn. And he acts more human that the cold daughter of the industrialist. Isn't "no human is that human" a reoccuring theme in Aliens, as much as "the androids go a bit nuts". Certainly didn't get in Dave's way once he was told to "Try harder" at any stage.
    TIRED. NEED SLEEP.

Maybe it's just easier to destroy then to create when critiquing but reading through this thread one of the common themes for me is that the people who have issues with the film go into specifics as to why they disliked it where as the people who enjoyed it just talk in nebulous terms about themes and imagery and how pretty it all looks and ignore its flaws completely . This is absolutely their right of course but for the rest of us more blue collar Brett and Parker types it can be kinda infuriating , for us themes and imagery are all well and good, but only when coupled with a logical coherent plot and decent characterisation such as in the original film. Fact is I'd love to have my views on the films numerous flaws challenged or at the very least have prometheus enjoyers explain the reason why they don't matter to them but I don't think it's gonna happen tbh.

Johnny_ultimate has already put it far better than I, and went to more effort to do so hehe, but speaking as someone who is unapologetic about loving Prometheus (though it should be noted that I only saw the thing last night so maybe given time to gestate my enthusiasm might cool) I still saw and registered some of the flaws people are pointing out, though frankly some of the nitpicking is so farcical & pedantic they're beyond comment; I chose to ignore them as I enjoyed the movie as a whole, rather than the sum of its parts. I guess ultimately it depends on how willing or otherwise you are to put aside things you see as wrong in the movie for the sake of the overall theme/message/story (though I don't know where in this thread you mention your personal list of flaws)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Honestly am baffled by some of the more extreme negative reactions to it. It's a flawed film with a frustrating third act (and what I'd still refer to as the worst script in terms of dialogue I've come across in some time) but still an interesting ones in various ways.

Alien isn't my favourite movie, it annoyed the hell out of me back when I first saw it, and I've only watched it a couple of times since. I love Aliens.

But the people who were most excited about Prometheus are the people who love Alien. They were hoping for something even better, with today's effects.

Instead, they got a flawed film with a frustrating third act and the worst dialogue in years, of course they have a negative reaction.

I would have loved it except for the idiocy of the trained crew. Seriously there were just too many points where I was broken out of the story by a "Wait a moment, they would not do that" happening. One or two I can accept but when it happened every 5 minutes it got very jarring and took all manner of suspense out of the story.

Visually it was stunning, the sound was amazing (not so much the music) but the environmental sound, the premise was interesting but scripted as a mess.

A discussion forum should have more than comments of "I liked it" or "I thought it was sh*te"- most people on the thread seem to grasp that

comments like the above add nothing to the discussion of a film

It was a joke comment about the film not even bothering to explain itself properly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I would have loved it except for the idiocy of the trained crew.

In fairness, this was my reaction to "Alien" all those years ago, so at least it's consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bloody hell that was the cinematic equivalent of an Emerson Lake and Palmer song.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Re-watched Alien, the theme is consistent and Prometheus is tied into it pretty well upon first glance. At least the crew of Alien were just joe soaps who were sent, involuntarily, to answer what they thought was a distress call. They were ill-prepared and not trained for such an eventuality, so some level of dumb-ness can be excused.

In Prometheus, they are explorers on some rich guy's wage bill going in search of Alien life forms on a distant planet, so you would assume they would have been better organised and prepared for a possible hostility. There is a few facepalm moments when they first land and go exploring that are just inexplicably ignorant, like thinking a Space Cobra would be a friendly creature that you could feed treats to and take home to your kids would be one example. I also agree that they didn't seem too well prepared for the inevitable contamination, Theron's awful character aside.

I still enjoyed Prometheus for what it was, because perfect movies are few and far between.

Re-watching Aliens atm, there's a huge difference in how they approach the planet and it's inhabitants (obviously because they are gung-ho marines).

pixelburp wrote: »
    Johnny_ultimate has already put it far better than I, and went to more effort to do so hehe, but speaking as someone who is unapologetic about loving Prometheus (though it should be noted that I only saw the thing last night so maybe given time to gestate my enthusiasm might cool) I still saw and registered some of the flaws people are pointing out, though frankly some of the nitpicking is so farcical & pedantic they're beyond comment; I chose to ignore them as I enjoyed the movie as a whole, rather than the sum of its parts. I guess ultimately it depends on how willing or otherwise you are to put aside things you see as wrong in the movie for the sake of the overall theme/message/story (though I don't know where in this thread you mention your personal list of flaws)

Saw this last night and given the pedigree of the man behind the camera I was expecting a hell of a lot better , for me it's up their Jockeying with Phantom Menace as one of the biggest letdowns ever .

In the following spoiler filled tl;dr I'll attempt to break down why I think the movie failed.

The prologue

We witness a flying saucer drop off one of the engineers (the titular Prometheus perhaps) on what we are to assume is prehistoric earth . He produces I guess what amounts to a thermos of the black goo(Promethean fire stolen from the gods) from his cloak and downs it before disintegrating into the waterfall. Assuming this is meant to be hundreds of million years ago the conclusions we are to draw from this I guess is that it kicks off some sort of genesis effect with the dinosaurs ,sabretooth cats and woolly Mammoths all being stepping stones on the way to what we are today much like the various Aliens we see in this film are stepping stones on the way to the gigeresque Aliens we know and love. So far so good , here's the rub tho for me with this sequence if we are to draw the obvious analogy that this was a rebel promethean Engineer going against his fellow God's would it not have been wiser to have him land or crash land in a one man craft/escape pod rather then to leave us with the impression he had been simply dropped off.

The crew

Has there ever been a more poorly selected crew ? did Weyland screen these people at all for his trillion dollar mission ? they run the gamut from incompetent to downright stupid . We have a mohican sporting geologist only in it for the money(obv meant to be an analogue of the blue collar Brett and parker) and a Biologist who upon the discovery of a very obviously dead engineer decides he wants to go back to the ship rather then help examine it yet when faced with an actual living and aggressive alien he gets touchy feely ??? An alien lets remember they came upon when traveling west to avoid the possible life sign reading to their east. Which brings me to them being lost in the first place , upon entering the temple Geologist guy launches his mapping probes and then later we see him, when prompted for directions look at his wrist where presumably he is wearing the prometheus equivalent of a pip boy and points in the direction they should go . How then do these two brain trusts get lost ? even if geologist guy wasn't getting a live feed from his probes they could surely just call the ship and ask them to direct them out , but then who is to say there was even anybody on the bridge monitoring their progress anyways . The gross stupidity of Shaw and Holloway whether its with the removing of the helmets or failure to mention the squid baby in the med lab has been well documented so I'll spare you my ramblings on that front but suffice to say it's retarded.

The Engineers

I'd imagine I wasn't the only one disappointed that these guys turned out to be essentially 12 foot tall versions of Watchmens Dr Manhattan and not the Iconic Elephantine creatures we always imagined but that's essentially what this film was like for me , just one rug pulled out from under me after another.
    In the engineers we have a species literally hundreds of millions of years old yet their grand plan to wipe out humanity and undo the rebel(promethean) engineers handy work is ridiculously convoluted, rather then simply nuking us from orbit(It's the only way to be sure afterall) they decide to make repeat visits over the course of millennia to lay the groundwork for the sort of overly elaborate trap favored by bond villians. Their plan one assumes was that when we reached spacefaring age we would follow their bread crumbs to their bioweapons lab, they would capture the crew infect them and send them back to earth , but something goes wrong there is an outbreak(caused by other rebel Engineers?) and they are wiped out before we even arrive scuppering their entire plan , a plan that was 50,000 years in the making. Moving onto their technology, here we have a race of aliens space faring for hundreds of millions of years yet Weylands holographic technology ****s all over theirs and their ship ignition sequence is started by an engineer playing the ocinara of time tune.

The movie was neither scary nor profound in the way i think they were aiming for from the way they marketed it. The aliens various forms were not scary in the least which would be fine if they had nailed the profound angle, but they didn't . The alien lifecycle in the originals was convoluted enough in this it is damn near incomprehensible from what i can gather its either

Goo infects human>human has squid baby> squid baby infects human/engineer> giger xenomorph .

or

Goo infects human and he becomes a yoga expert on steroids(geologist guy)

God I hate the goo it reminded me of the needless complication that was the black oil in the x-files mythology why couldn't he just keep it your simple generic grey aliens.

While I wasn't surprised to see questions left unanswered at the end or left up in the air for a sequel, this is Damon " it was never about the mythology" Lindeloff afterall, I was surprised at how emotionally flat this film was for me, say what you will about how Lindeloff and co screwed us on the mythological aspects of lost but it was always an emotional rollercoaster . Where were those Cathartic lostesque moments in this film, moments that may have made up for at least some of the films many flaws.

Sorry for the tl:dr lol

And tbh that isn't even that comprehensive I could have gone on but I posted that at like 3 am and just didn't have the energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Dempsey wrote: »
    Saw this film tonight and I'm disappointed to the point that I wont be recommending it to anyone that hasnt already seen it.

Things like the ice cold nature of Vickers towards the rest of the crew seemed pointless but then again Lindelof's work is full of this kind of shíte and doesnt deserve any analysis. People are questioning whether she was human or a robot but does it matter? In the end it was irrelevant. He thinks putting in things that dont make sense or dont have any effect on the outcome are things that the audience will thank him for not explaining but just shows him up as a pretentious hack imo.

As other people have pointed out, the "scientists" were unbelievably reckless with their own safety and the safety of those around them. David putting them in harms way wasnt surprising but his behaviour was never scrutinised by the crew which was done in other Alien films very well. Generally speaking, the themes explored in the film are an incoherent mess, another great trait of Lindelof's work.

Couldn't agree more. The film reeks of pseudo-intellecutalism... even the name of the film!!

It's awfully easy to make an incohrent muddled story with open ended questions and pretend it is something worthier than it is. No, in actual fact... its just plain bad story telling.

In terms of theme and ambition I liked the movie a lot, i might even go see it again, but I could say the same about Avatar. It (and Avatar) ultimately failed in those ambitions though. Take away the ambitious themes and the visual flair and all you have is a 2nd rate b-movie script wise.

TDK is the only big budget blockbuster I can think of in recent years that managed to address themes on the same level while still managing to be a truely compelling film. Its a shame, because there's still a lot to love in Prometheus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sandyfordboi

I went to see Prometheus yesterday evening and not being a massive alien fan i thought it was one of the better films i have went to in a while and as stated by a few people it raised loads of interesting points on say creationism v atheism and Darwinism!

One thing i saw was why would the engineers create us only for to come to earth and destroy us? well here are few ideas i have on that.

1) maybe they where carrying out an experiment on earth to see if they would be able to adapt to the conditions there as something was wrong with there home world? but maybe conditions at home changed so they didn't feel the need to pursue the experiment?

2) the engineers on the planet where a rogue group of their race that went against the ideas of the rest of their species and simply wanted to just wipe out the work that was done by their own species so they could have their own planet?

there just two ideas that i thought of after watching the film and for me i hope that a sequel is made just to answer some of the many questions the film threw up!

Advertisement