Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme metal fans show yourself now....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Links234 wrote: »
    This wouldn't have been in The Shelter, which was part of Vicar Street at the time?

Nope, Nancy Spains in Cork. It might even have been 12 years ago as I think I was under age. I remember the support lads were great crack, one of them gave me a can from his plastic bag of tinnies after I bought a CD: Dew Scented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Well then it was the same tour, because Dew Scented supported them when I saw them in Dubland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Min999

Passenger wrote: »
    If you want to meet Metalheads in Dublin then attending gigs is the best place to meet them. To find out what gigs are on then check out Dublin Metal Events on Facebook. There also a couple bars that play Metal notably Fibber Magee's on Parnell St. and Bruxelles on Harry St. Fibbers focuses more on live music and Bruxelles will have DJ's Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Don't bother with with Club Hell or Gypsy Rose if you're specifically looking for Metal as those bars tend to cater for Rock and the more mainstream side of things. ;)
    Thanks for the tips! I hope there will be a lot of gigs in the summer:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Min999 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I would like to know are Irishmen friendly especially metalheads? I always thought so but recently I have found information that Irish people communicate only with Irish and there is obvious dislike to non-Irish, is it true? Also, I would like to know are there some metalshops in Dublin where I can buy merch? I'm planing to go to Ireland in 2 months so I'll appreciate any information. Here are some extreme from my country (Ukraine)

a bit strange you didn't mention Drudkh if you are from Ukraine. Best band from there to my knowledge, and quite well known here, too (I remember seeing Drudkh albums in Tower Records on Grafton street back in 2006, specifically labeled "black metal from Ukraine", haha).
    we'll have Inquisition playing in July, if you are still going to be here.
    ITV has a nice range of underground albums, you shouldn't have issues with that.
    most Irish are friendly, and metalheads are even friendlier.

feel free to pm me if you have more questions, I speak russian.

XVII wrote: »
    a bit strange you didn't mention Drudkh if you are from Ukraine. Best band from there to my knowledge, and quite well known here, too (I remember seeing Drudkh albums in Tower Records on Grafton street back in 2006, specifically labeled "black metal from Ukraine", haha).
    we'll have Inquisition playing in July, if you are still going to be here.
    ITV has a nice range of underground albums, you shouldn't have issues with that.
    most Irish are friendly, and metalheads are even friendlier.

feel free to pm me if you have more questions, I speak russian.

I'm not a big fun of Drudkh, and it seems to me that this band is more popular abroad than here. Probably, it was exotic for that time:D That's what I wanted to hear:D
    Here is my favourite song from Drudkh

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Min999 wrote: »
    I'm not a big fun of Drudkh, and it seems to me that this band is more popular abroad than here. Probably, it was exotic for that time:D That's what I wanted to hear:D
    Here is my favourite song from Drudkh

I did post Hate Forest earlier in this thread, also a Ukrainian band, shares some members of Drudkh. Blood of Kingu and Rattenfanger some of their other exploits. Well worth checking out.

I did post Hate Forest earlier in this thread, also a Ukrainian band, shares some members of Drudkh. Blood of Kingu and Rattenfanger some of their other exploits. Well worth checking out.
    Hate Forest is not bad one but how about Nokturnal Mortum?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FarOn

Seriously good albums imo.

Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare
    Misery Index - The Killing Gods
    The Anciients - The Anciients
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Portal - Vevexoid

Extreme metal fan from Tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Any death or black metal fans out there? lets discuss gods favourite music :p

Currently listening to Rotting Christ a lot lately, superb band and Bolt Thrower as always.

Haven't listened to RC but Bolt Thrower are a fantastic band. Perfect blend of brutality and grooviness, with some of the best death riffs of all time IMO. Managed to get one of their t-shirts for a bargain at Hellfest this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Wouldnt be a fan of modern death/extreme metal so much as the early and mid 90's
    The earlier stuff, like Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Wouldnt be a fan of modern death/extreme metal so much as the early and mid 90's
    The earlier stuff, like Death, Deicide, Morbid Angel and so on.

I'd agree with this. Too many of the modern bands are just bad ripoffs of great bands from the 90s.

Also a lot of bands have been sucked into the more extreme than thou mentality and have forgotten about making an actual song. Bands like Morbid Angel and Deicide were heavy as **** but still made riffs that would stick in your head. So many albums I listen to nowadays don't have a single hook to make the songs memorable.

I'd disagree with the above, the latest Behemoth album was terrific. It's extreme, but there's melody and groove and good riffs,

And, has anyone heard the new Triptykon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yep, the new Behemoth is the best thing they've done since Demigod IMO. Death and Black metal is in the best state it's been in years and years and if you can't find any good new bands in these styles, you simply aren't looking hard enough. Bands are both breaking new barriers in experimentation and paying excellent homages to the old school ways that the old school bands just can't replicate anymore. There's always going to be a lot of fluff bands who try these and fail miserably but the gems among the rough make it all worthwhile.

The new Triptykon is excellent! Not as slow and dirgey as the debut album but still dark as f*ck.

yep, the new Behemoth is the best thing they've done since Demigod IMO. Death and Black metal is in the best state it's been in years and years and if you can't find any good new bands in these styles, you simply aren't looking hard enough. Bands are both breaking new barriers in experimentation and paying excellent homages to the old school ways that the old school bands just can't replicate anymore. There's always going to be a lot of fluff bands who try these and fail miserably but the gems among the rough make it all worthwhile.

The new Triptykon is excellent! Not as slow and dirgey as the debut album but still dark as f*ck.

I don't listen to anywhere near as much black metal as I used to, but one band that has just gone from strength to strength is Enslaved, they're incredible and just keep getting better and better! Riitiir just blew me sideways it's such a good album.

yep Enslaved are fantastic! really liked their newest album.

not really like enslaved but Aosoth have to be one my favourite recent black metal bands. They don't need any effects or keyboards to create a truly palpable haunting atmosphere that washes over you

And death metal wise Dead Congregation have been my undisputed kings of old school style death metal since their debut album in 2008. They just released the follow-up this year and it is monumental.

Dead Congregation are supporting Primordial at their upcoming Redemption festival in the Academy in November...have been waiting for them to play here for years and to say I am ridiculously excited is an understatement! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I don't listen to anywhere near as much black metal as I used to, but one band that has just gone from strength to strength is Enslaved, they're incredible and just keep getting better and better! Riitiir just blew me sideways it's such a good album.

Aye, they are superb. One of the more interesting bands to emerge out of the BM scene though many of the more kvlt bands/fans nowadays would scoff at Enslaved's BM credentials as they appear to have jettisoned the BM aesthetic for a more progressive sound. Vertebrae was the most recent album I have of theirs and it is fantastic. Been meaning to get RIITIIR as I heard plenty of good things about it.

I hold Satyricon in high regard. They have that drone I love about black metal (quite a ways away from stuff like Mayhem.) Dark Medieval Times is a masterpiece and quite probably one of the genre definers, and when I hear their latest stuff they still knock things out of the park on occasion.

I love this.

I also support the Enslaved love. What I've heard has been great and I really need to give their more proggy stuff a listen. Any recommendations on where to start for their more "advanced" stuff?

Satyricon were terrific when they played in Dublin :D

As for Enslaved, you could pretty much dip in anywere, but their last album RIITIIR is just exceptional.

• Advertisement

I am jealous of seeing Satyricon live.

Passenger wrote: »
    Aye, they are superb. One of the more interesting bands to emerge out of the BM scene though many of the more kvlt bands/fans nowadays would scoff at Enslaved's BM credentials as they appear to have jettisoned the BM aesthetic for a more progressive sound. Vertebrae was the most recent album I have of theirs and it is fantastic. Been meaning to get RIITIIR as I heard plenty of good things about it.

I'm not sure anyone could legitimately scoff at Enslaved's credentials, because they're pretty much had a fairly progressive slant since ELD onwards, and Monumension is considered one of their best albums and that's very progressive indeed, so it's certainly not like they've just started incorporating those elements. To scoff at them for their progressive sound would be to scoff at their entire musical careers bar the first two albums. Sure, they added Herbrand Larson who does some clean vocals, but even before that Grutle did clean vocals himself.

RIITIIR is awesome, and their previous Ethica Odini is spectacular as well, I'd highly recommend it!

But yeah, I'm kinda wondering where 'extreme' begins and ends for some people, 'cos for me I like a lot of death or black metal bands, but generally with some different elements thrown into the mix. Hmm, where would Strapping Young Lad fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

As for Enslaved, you could pretty much dip in anywere, but their last album RIITIIR is just exceptional.

I like Enslaved up to Ruun.

Ruun and Isa were probably the albums I listened to most although Hordanes Land would be where I'd go first these days.

Strapping Young Lad's City album is the definition of extreme in my opinion. well definitely in terms of all out insane aggression anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Here here. I think a lot of them have really stopped caring about image and broken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

You people are a disgrace.

Advertisement