Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you assess my diet?

• 19-05-2014 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Hey, hope this is the right place to post this!

I'd like someone knowledgeable to review my diet.
    Female. Run about 40 miles a week. Vegetarian.

This is a fairly good day.

What I ate today
    1 x coffee

Breakfast:
    Smoothie with raw cocoa powder, 3 fresh fruits, maca powder, chia seeds, greek yogurt, honey.
    mixed nuts -handful

Lunch:
    Apricots - handful
    3 bean wrap

Dinner:
    Large mixed salad including spinach, tomatoes and Camembert
    Beetjuice .5L
    Water x 2.5 litres

Mixed nuts - handful
    few pieces of dark chocolate

Anything obvious I'm missing out on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anything obvious I'm missing out on?

Not a whole lot of protein there. Fat could be lacking too depending on portion size

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Some good stuff in there, fats and protein might be an issue. What time of day do you run? What's recovery like? Goals? How do you feel in general?

What's a bad day look like? Whats a bad day look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Mellor wrote: »
    Not a whole lot of protein there. Fat could be lacking too depending on portion size

Cheers for the reply.
    I'd have maybe 3 snacks of nuts to up the protein intake. Portions of meals would be fairly average.
    What fats would you suggest that would be good?

siochain wrote: »
    Some good stuff in there, fats and protein might be an issue. What time of day do you run? What's recovery like? Goals? How do you feel in general?

What's a bad day look like? Whats a bad day look like?

I run all times of the day, sometimes morning before food, sometimes after lunch, sometimes later. I might finish at 8pm some nights.
    I run every day but never have 2 hard days in a row so recovery is managed very well.
    Goals? Well, I'm not marathon training this year but speed training so would have 2-3 hard sessions a week and the rest if very very easy recovery paced running and my goal is to get faster over 5 and 10k distances. I'd always eat something within 20 mins of finishing a hard run.

I feel I'm lacking a bit in something. Not quite sure at the moment. I had bloods done a few times last year and all was perfect except for b12 which I take a supplement for now. I think I might need to get them done again.

A bad day would be not too bad really. I'd have almost everything on there most days except might have a take-away one or two nights but it'd be a Thai with loads of green vegetables and tofu so not the worse. The odd time I'd get a pizza but that's the exception. I'd have half a bottle of wine once or twice a week along with the take-away so that'd be considered bad I guess...
    As I said, I just feel a bit lacking... so could need more protein. I just feel like I'd like to get a big juicy steak into me so am looking for the equivalent for a veggie! Probably not possible:(
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

My boss does similar miles to you and the odd half marathon, he doesn't eat meat and is age 50. I got him to start using coconut oil in coffee and when cooking, more olive oil in salads, avocados, coconut milk soups and his times and recovery improved a lot.

That's just one example I have several competitive cyclists who reduced the amount of processed carbs they use and replaced with good fats like above and really benifited.

How's your iron levels ?

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    My boss does similar miles to you and the odd half marathon, he doesn't eat meat and is age 50. I got him to start using coconut oil in coffee and when cooking, more olive oil in salads, avocados, coconut milk soups and his times and recovery improved a lot.

That's just one example I have several competitive cyclists who reduced the amount of processed carbs they use and replaced with good fats like above and really benifited.

How's your iron levels ?

Ok I'll try the coconut oil and other suggestions above! Avocados are a good idea and I can add to my salads. Thanks!
    B12 tends to be a bit low unless I take a supplement which I am currently taking. I haven't had bloods done since pre-DCM last year (October) so maybe need to get these checked again as the intensity of my training has increased in the last few months so should get iron checked.
    Many thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ososlo wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply.
    I'd have maybe 3 snacks of nuts to up the protein intake. Portions of meals would be fairly average.
    What fats would you suggest that would be good?

Avocado, coconut, nuts, olive oil, butter.
    Basically plenty of natural fats and avoid too many heavily refined or process fats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Do you eat eggs or dairy, or are you vegan? I'm vegetarian too and this would be a standard day for me:

Breakfast

Eggs x 3, scrambled (sometimes boiled) with cheese, spinach and tomato.
    Bowl of Greek yoghurt with walnuts/almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seed.
    Large spoonful of whole nut butter.

Lunch

Diced avocado salad with beetroot and EVOO (tomato, spinach, broccoli, pine nuts, red onion, cucumber, mayo)

Dinner

Quinoa with Spiced Chickpea and Lentil/Beans, Hape of veg (asparagus, broccoli, spinach, cabbage - green is good!) cooked with real butter and occasionally good protein meat subs (Quorn etc).

All supplemented with a steady supply of water and one or two coffee/teas throughout the day.

This works for me and I feel pretty good.

Yes I eat eggs but don't care for milk. Your diet is very impressive! I got some good ideas from your sample day above! Thanks!

I got all the coconut products today and some avocados so will try these for a while and report back.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions folks!

Advertisement