Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xylitol - where to buy & have you baked with it?

Options
  • 18-05-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is buying Xylitol in Dublin.
    Where do you get it and at what cost?

Also has anyone baked with it?
    Looking at maybe using it in Cupcakes etc.

And a 3rd question:
    Just wondering if any nutritionists out there might comment re it pros and cons especially in relation to children.

Thanks All

SN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Bought some in Nourish in the GPO arcade during the week - 250g for about €3/4. Haven't used it yet though so can't answer your baking question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I bought it as I thought I would need it for GF baking but odlums and dove GF flour are 1-1 replacements without needing it, so I haven't used it yet...
    I think they do it in superquinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

bluewolf wrote: »
    I bought it as I thought I would need it for GF baking but odlums and dove GF flour are 1-1 replacements without needing it, so I haven't used it yet...
    I think they do it in superquinn

Xylitol is sugar replacement.
    Snap Happy wrote: »
    Hi All,

Also has anyone baked with it?
    Looking at maybe using it in Cupcakes etc.

And a 3rd question:
    Just wondering if any nutritionists out there might comment re it pros and cons especially in relation to children.

It is less sweet so you need to add more of it. It also prevents yeast growth so you need to go chemical route (self-raising, baking powder, soda etc). Taste is slightly different and IMVHO it does not work with many types of cakes for example brownies. On other hand it is alchol so it has this nice cooling sensation on tongue, which would work with mint taste, jelly and other light stuff really good.

You need to get accustomed to xylitol, so start with small servings - otherwise it can cause diarrhea. On positive side it prevents tooth decay. In general it is safe for children.

More expensive but with less gastric side effects alternative is erythritol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry was thinking of the other x, xantham :o

Advertisement