Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Healthy' Cake?

Options
  • 16-05-2014 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

There is something of a craze among some of my friends atm for 'healthy' baking- cakes and biscuits made without sugar, dairy, gluten. Typically they include nuts and nut butters, bananas, raw cocoa nibs, eggs, chickpeas, small amounts of honey/maple syrup. Most of them are reasonably tasty but seem really calorie dense, although I suppose they would be more nutritious than their flour/butter/sugar/chocolate counterparts.

So is there any such thing as healthy cake or are we just fooling ourselves and would we be as well eating the marginally tastier 'real' sweets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nothing wrong with being calorie dense if they taste fine and have good ingredients. Of all the ingredients you listed they would contain quite a lot of nutrients. Some might argue against the honey/maple syrup but I definitely wouldn't worry about a bit of honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    There is something of a craze among some of my friends atm for 'healthy' baking- cakes and biscuits made without sugar, dairy, gluten. Typically they include nuts and nut butters, bananas, raw cocoa nibs, eggs, chickpeas, small amounts of honey/maple syrup. Most of them are reasonably tasty but seem really calorie dense, although I suppose they would be more nutritious than their flour/butter/sugar/chocolate counterparts.

So is there any such thing as healthy cake or are we just fooling ourselves and would we be as well eating the marginally tastier 'real' sweets?

I don't think anybody is fooling themselves.
    but that said eating a mountain of nutbutter cake will lash the calories into you. So managing that is key.

I'd think the scare of flour/butter/sugar/chocolate cakes is hype.

If you bake a cake from scratch and don't shovel it into you (I do shovel btw) , the negative effects will be minimal.
    buying mass produced cakes with additives is a different story imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Additives bad

Sugar fine.

(I disagree)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Depends on the cake I suppose, and calories will probably still be high enough as you still need fat to bind the stuff. I think if they both taste nice I might go for the ones with better ingredients but either way they're still a treat and still need to remain occasional
    I use GF flour if I use flour anyway but it's not "healthier" imo, just stops a stomach ache :)

Advertisement