Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Irish Education system be reformed

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I thought those extra points awarded for high grades in higher level maths only applied to math based subjects. Why would you have a problem with this, its not as if they are taking your place on that course. Language courses don't need these boosts as you can enter one of them for around 200-300 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

pieye wrote: »
    If you absolutely surround someone in a language they learn a lot faster than a couple of hours a week, passion can help, but an complete emerson is hardly something an education system can create.

If we're talking language, yes, but the kids in my scenario are not by any means immersed. Danish kids, for example, generally speak Danish outside of English lessons, not English.

There is a practical need to learn English - mainly better understanding of English-language entertainment - but a lot of them enjoy speaking English as well and are eager to learn.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    If we're talking language, yes, but the kids in my scenario are not by any means immersed. Danish kids, for example, generally speak Danish outside of English lessons, not English.

There is a practical need to learn English - mainly better understanding of English-language entertainment - but a lot of them enjoy speaking English as well and are eager to learn.

I think a lot of it might be the media etc though - english is fashionable, all over MTV, movies, etc etc. I had to giggle at the amount of texts being sent in english to "viva" in germany[that's the name of that silly teenager tv station right?], because it's cool to do.
    That makes it easier to immerse yourself in, and more attractive to learn. It's also so widely recognised, whereas here we can just yap our native tongue in so many countries and they'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Yeah, American tv shows and movies are generally subtitled in Denmark rather than dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've always wondered why people want so much focus on applying a subject to real life, everyday situations. This seems to be the undeveloped solution to every issue in a subject.

Especially in maths. I can't imagine how it would work. I've always assumed maths in school was about learning to do maths and not trying to better yourself.

Sure if you want to focus on applications you can do Applied Maths. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement