Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I may take Tuesday off actually, I've a massage scheduled for that day so would probably make some sense not to be running afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday

5 Miles @ 9:22

Wet and windy, feeling a bit sluggish, bit of a struggle if I'm honest. One of those runs to just get through and move on. It felt slow and labored but the pace and HR look normal so I guess it was ok.

10 Miles tomorrow, last longish run of this training cycle. One last chance to go through the pre race routine.

Saturday

10 Miles Easy @ 9:20 m/m

Last longish run before the big day. It was windy as hell out there today, but nice sunshine also. Going uphill into the wind was a real struggle, I really hope we don't face that wind in 8 days time.

Very little left to do at this stage. Organise logistics for the day, transport etc. Pick up some food and recovery drinks for the bag. Get a massage on Tuesday and try and get good quality sleep over the next week.

Anything else?

Lap pace times show the effect of the wind I think:

1. 9:57
    2. 9:24
    3. 9:36
    4. 9:47
    5. 8:44
    6. 8:56
    7. 9:00
    8. 8:59
    9. 9:43
    10. 9:10

Sunday

Rest

Monday

6 Miles with 6 x 300m Strides

I've been pretty wound up all day, quite stressed and generally feeling the effects of the reduced mileage and no running Sunday. It was good to get out again this evening, went with 6 miles including 6 x 300m Strides at 10K pace or thereabouts.Feel much better for having done that.

Off for a sports massage tomorrow so a good chance I wont run tomorrow after that.

Hoping to drum up some support for this breakfast run on Sunday morning, whether I'm allowed partake or not. Let me know if you are interested!

Tuesday

No running but got a sports massage done and a day closer to the 27th

Wednesday

5 Miles with 3 @ M-Pace

Last proper run before the big one, went with 1E+3M+1E

Felt good and no issues holding the Marathon pace. I feel pretty much ready at this stage, just a matter of getting to the start line at this stage.

• Advertisement

Thursday

4 Miles Very Easy

Not long to go now. 4 easy miles nothing too strenuous.

Planning on heading to the expo early enough on Saturday and maybe do this breakfast run Sunday morning.

This week seems like it's taking longer than the previous 17 weeks. Hurry up.

Friday

3 Miles Easy (9:34 m/m)

A bit emotional doing this run, ran variations of this route so many times and this was the last time doing it for some time. One more run up Fortfield road to go obviously.

Anyway, rest up tomorrow, maybe do a leg loosener on Sunday, maybe not.

Saturday

DCM Breakfast Run 3.1 Miles @ 10m/m

This was a whole lot of fun and I'd encourage anyone to try it in future years. There was a whole lot of flags and foreign visitors enjoying the run. We stopped halfway to watch a re-enactment of the battle of Clontarf and ended up at the Premium level of Croke Park (seems about the only way I'll end up on the premium level). There was a breakfast of Tea/coffee, water, OJ, Yoghurt, cereal bar, muffin etc, a free T-shirt and even a band playing. Well worth the drive over.

I'm now planting myself on the coach for the afternoon in anticipation of tomorrow. Was very exciting seeing the times come in from Frankfort, hopefully we get some nice times tomorrow too.

Mileage for the year:

Jan|0
    Feb|53
    Mar|111
    Apr|154
    May|121
    Jun|93
    Jul|213
    Aug|233
    Sep|261
    Oct|153(+26.2)

I think this shows that training has gone well over the course of the year and in particular over the course of the Marathon training cycle.

My mileage for the year stands at 1389.1. A far cry from the 471 miles I logged last year.

So as I tick over 1400 miles tomorrow I'm hoping the 209 runs, over 221 hours, 8 races and 4 PB's will stand to me as the going gets tough as it inevitably will.

I'd just like to thank everyone who has read, thanked and given feedback on this log, it's truly been a long and winding road, hopefully it will end in an enjoyable and rewarding run tomorrow followed by putting a few faces to usernames afterwards.

/training_cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Good luck Adrian, you deserve a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I second that! If any of the novices deserves an excellent day tomorrow it's you. The way you have put in the miles and hit all the sessions along the way makes me jealous... I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be passing me at some point late in the race tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, don't think I'll be passing you, 3:45 is the very upper end of my ambition, reckon 3:48 probably more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm now planting myself on the coach for the afternoon in anticipation of tomorrow. Was very exciting seeing the times come in from Frankfort, hopefully we get some nice times tomorrow too.

That's some coach - but really they should know better than to have you use up your energy like that. ;)

Best of luck tomorrow mate.

Dublin City Marathon Race Report

Well I started out way too fast, struggled in the middle and just about hung on for the finish. But enough about the pub, what about the race?

I started in the second wave, ended up being quite a few mins behind the 3:50 pacers as it was quite congested as we lined up. I wasn't bothered by that though as I was thinking I'll run at my planned pace and catch them slowly.

Almost a mini disaster at the start line as my Garmin wouldn't start up, just stuck at the loading screen. This hasn't happened since February and it worked fine earlier that morning. A bit of panic but it was good to go by the time we were off, but I'd missed any chance of moving up to the pacers.

Miles 1-5(8:57,8:11,8:28,9:02,8:47) :

The first mile or so went by in a bit of a blur. It was all very congested, the pace was set by the group as a whole and not much to do but go at that pace. After that the congestion eased a bit, I could see the pacers off in the distance, just settled in to a comfortable pace and was happy enough with were I was. I eased off a bit once we hit parkgate street and into the park as I knew it was going to be a tough section. There was a tough cross wind at this stage and I found it hard to find protection in the wide open spaces of the Phoenix Park.

Miles 6-10(8:36,8:31,8:06,8:26,8:16)

Once we exited the park I started to really enjoy the race and feel like the marathon was truly on and this was what all the training had been about. The crowds around Castleknock were fantastic. I was closing on the 3:50 Pace group at this stage and the downhill section here seemed quite busy with not much room.

When we went back into the park there was literally no room as I was now in the 3:50 Pace group, I absolutely hate running in crowds like this so decided to get past them as best I could. I realize now that this may have been a mistake but I would not have enjoyed this run at all in those crowds. After passing the pacers the congestion eased and I settled down again. In retrospect these miles were too fast and probably caused problems later on.

Miles 11-15(8:47,8:19,8:28,9:08,8:45)

After the park and heading towards Chapelizod I slowed it down for the hill up towards Inchicore. This was preplanned, and it was a good move I think. I really enjoyed the section just after this from Inchicore down towards Dolphins Barn. Once we went over the bridge though things started to get tougher.

Up through Crumlin the wind was very much a factor, again it was difficult to find a group to shelter behind and it was a long hard slog, just a section to get through without doing too much damage, I slowed the pace considerably there and this probably helped in the last few miles. Turning left towards Walkinstown was even worse and that road seemed longer than anytime I've ever ran it. As expected the crowds around here were amazing and it helped immensely.

Miles 16-20(8:20,8:37,8:23,8:22,8:40)

Hitting that roundabout was a huge confidence boost. I know this area very well and that road down towards KCR is very pleasant to run on. My prerace plan had me picking up the pace here but I was wary of doing too much here as I was now beginning to feel tired and a little concerned to be honest. I was still thinking in terms of 3:45 though so tried to keep with the plan. I had friends and famil positioned on KCR so tried to look not too wreaked at this point but I was starting too feel it a little bit at this stage.

Up past KCR towards Terenure, time to dig in. Again the crowds were fantastic and I stuck at it around here. There were a lot of people walking at this stage and it was all I could do to just keep going and keep putting one foot in front of the other. It was around here I started counting the miles to go rather than the miles gone.

Miles 21-26.2(8:57,9:17,8:41,9:00,9:17,9:15,3:48)

Really started to flag at this stage, realized that 3:45 wasn't happening. Past Milltown, big crowd there but couldn't get much going. Turned right towrds Clonskeagh, I knew this wouldn't be plesant. I was struggling badly but still passing loads and loads of people, seemd like everyone was walking on this section for what ever reason. Grabbed a bottle of lucozade sport, couldnt get the ****er open, threw it away. Got up to Roebuck, stragely looking forward to this climb, practiced it many times. I was quite strong up the hill, no thoughts of walking. Got down onto the N11, still seemed like a long way to go and really felt terrible here. People shouting "3 miles to go" or whatever, not really helpful as I know we haven't come up to 23 miles yet. Right at Nutley lane, on auto pilot at this stage and feel like I'm going backwards. Dig in now.

Along ballsbridge, utterly deflated as the 3:50 pacers go past. I have thoughts of staying with them but realise it's not happening. I try to keep them in sight, realizing I've started a good bit behind them and 3:50 is still a possibility.

Turning right onto Shelbourne road I catch sight my my brother, wasn't epxecting hom to be there, this is a big boost and only 1 mile to go. Start to get a bit emotional, thinking of all the training runs. Get through this last bit. The crowds are amazing on the home stretch but it's hard to take it all in. Realise I'm going to hit 3:49:xx, stangle that last bit of energy and finish strong. Pace is 8:00m/m for that last 0.5 miles.

Over the line. Overjoyed but barely able to move. That was tough, tougher than I thought it would be and longer that I thought it would be but thoroughly enjoyable and very rewarding. The post race atmosphere was great, I nearly collapsed at the barrier and a guy behind me taps me on the shoulder, shakes my hand and say "Well Done" and sounds like he really meant it. It was a great feeling.

I was initially disappointed to miss my "A" target but seeing how most seemed to struggle yesterday I'm delighted to have come in under 3:50.

Hit mcGrattans afterward and met a fair few boardsies. Never got around to eating anything though. It was good craic in there and was great to put faces to names.

Now time to sign up for a race, Jingle Bells anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done Adrian, great debut performance on what was a very tough day. Congrats:)

Well done Adrian, great debut performance on what was a very tough day. Congrats:)

Thanks OP. The more time passes the happier I am with the performance. I don't think there was much more time to be gained no matter how I ran it.

It was a huge learning experience though. I feel if I stayed with the 3:50 pacers I may have had a slightly easier time in the last 4 miles, but then reading all the race reports I haven't seen too many people have a comfortable last few miles.

I'll certainly be back for another crack at the distance. I'll need to regroup a little before thinking about another marathon cycle though. Hopefully hit a good HM time in the first half of 2015 and take it from there.

Just looking at my overall position at each of the timing mats(any excuse for another table):

|Time|Pos
    10K|54:31|4220
    Half|1:53:17|4982
    30K|2:41:06|4277
    Finish(Gun)|3:49:52|3315
    Finish(Chip)|3:49:23|3375

Looks like a lot of people passed me between Castelknock and Dolphins Barn and I passed nearly 1000 people between 30K and the finish.

This seems to suggest that while I struggled a bit towards the end it was nothing compared to what some people went through.

I think overall the above points to a decent if not perfect pacing job over the course of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Time to throw yourself into a new challenge - coming up with a new log title :)

Indeed, I'll have to do that over the next while alright!

Whoo, shiny new log, well new title at least. I believe I've the only log with a Samuel Beckett quote as it's title.

Just need to do some running now so I've something to put in it.

Monday

5.4 Miles @ 9:43 m/m

Well after 27 days of inactivity (and probably drinking on all of them) I'm back on the wagon.

Nice easy 5+ miles this evening. I went out after 9 and suffered from a bit of stitch early on. Other than that no real issues. It certainly felt good to be out running again, including a reprise of Cromwellsfort Road and Kimmage Road from the marathon route. Oh the memories.

Thinking about going for a parkrun on Saturday as a bit of a pace/tempo session before the 5K race the following weekend.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Rest

Wednesday

6.3 Miles @ 9:47 m/m

Still going with the easy runs to get back into it. I don't know how much fitness I've lost over the last month or so, probably a little bit.

I found it hard to get motivated to get out last night. It was proper cold. Went with a base layer and long sleeve top along with a beanie hat. I thought that setup worked well. I think I could do with gloves at the start but they would annoy me after a few miles.

For this week I'll continue to take a day on/day off and see how that works. Hopefully hit 25-30 miles this week though that may be a bit optimistic.

Thursday

Another rest day. I say rest, I mean a lot of eating, drinking and more eating, and staying up till 5am watching American Football.

Friday

6 Miles @ 9:44 m/m

Nice run this evening. It was actually a lot milder than I thought it was going to be so I was probably over dressed but it was the first run I really enjoyed since getting back into it. Possibly due to the weather, possibly due to my body getting over the shock of being back running again.

Saturday

10.1 Miles @ 9:07

I accept that this was too fast, I was wearing headphones and not really checking the pace, I went too fast at times and my avg HR is higher than it should be for an easy effort run.

But I'm happy to get out and get a longish run in. I feel I'm getting back ito the swing of things at this stage.

And I promise to keep the easy runs easy from now on.

Weekly totals:

27.9 miles
    4 Runs

Sunday

Rest

Monday

6.2 Miles @ 9:18 m/m

Went out last night for a run, easy pace with 8 x 20 second strides thrown in at the end. It was a good run. I find in the dark I very rarely bother to check the pace. Pretty much running by feel the whole way. Paces ranged from 8:48 to 9:34. Average HR was 139 (75%).

Tuesday

5K Pace Session - 6.5 Miles @ 9:07 m/m

2 Mile Warm up
    5*2 min @ 5K Pace with 2 mins Recovery
    2 Mile Cool down

5K Paces:

1. 7:25
    2. 7:16
    3. 7:16
    4. 7:14
    5. 7:20

Something of a session done, felt good to get some faster paces into the legs. It was a bit of an eye opener doing these paces again as I now realise how much this 5K race is going to hurt on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Tuesday

5K Pace Session - 6.5 Miles @ 9:07 m/m

2 Mile Warm up
    5*2 min @ 5K Pace with 2 mins Recovery
    2 Mile Cool down

5K Paces:

1. 7:25
    2. 7:16
    3. 7:16
    4. 7:14
    5. 7:20

Something of a session done, felt good to get some faster paces into the legs. It was a bit of an eye opener doing these paces again as I now realise how much this 5K race is going to hurt on Saturday.

Just looking at your STRAVAR link there. How do you find doing the session around town - are u on da footpaths or have you some loops which r better for running dan dodging walkers etc?

Just looking at your STRAVAR link there. How do you find doing the session around town - are u on da footpaths or have you some loops which r better for running dan dodging walkers etc?

That's a loop near where I live that's around 2 miles long that doesn't have many people walking on it and no major junctions either so it's not too bad.

I'd prefer to use a park but really too dark at the moment unless I get a head torch.

Wednesday

60 mins Easy Running - 6.3 Miles @ 9:35 m/m

Cold one this evening, hat and gloves out for this, I'm getting soft I think. Anyway the run was fine, I think my runners are on the way out though, starting to feel it in the legs a bit too much.

Didn't check the watch at all but the paces were pretty consistent.

9:28
    9:32
    9:39
    9:32
    9:33
    9:40

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

That's a loop near where I live that's around 2 miles long that doesn't have many people walking on it and no major junctions either so it's not too bad.

I'd prefer to use a park but really too dark at the moment unless I get a head torch.

i find it kinda awkawrd to run wit da headtorch. just find that u end up concentratin on da torch rather than the run. Dats a nice loop u have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You legend you! Fantastic result! Well done:D

Advertisement