Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dónal versus Dónall

Options
  • 26-09-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I've seen both spellings used. Are both valid and are they pronounced differently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

1. Ta
    2. Nil

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

GRMA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Domhnaill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Is it the same story with Iasón and Iasan??

Both pronounced similarly-i.e. "EEaSun".
    I use both spellings,as I have seen it written both ways,so I hope I am correct.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

efb wrote: »
    Domhnaill

That would be the Tuiseal Ginideach of the name. As a first name, it wouldn't be slenderised with that letter "i" at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

BarraOG wrote: »
    I've seen both spellings used. Are both valid and are they pronounced differently?
    Single broad L and double broad L are pronounced the same in Munster and Connacht, different in Ulster.

(fyi, single slender L and double slender L are pronounced the same in Munster, different in Connacht and Ulster)

Non-native speakers don't tend to make this distinction. In fact most non-native speakers don't even know that slender and broad L are different sounds ....

You might find pronunciations on forvo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

efb wrote: »
    Domhnaill

Domhnall
    DOMHNALL, genitive -aill, Donall, Donald, (Daniel); Old Irish — Domnall, from Celtic *Dumno-valo-s, world-mighty, *Dubno-valo-s, mighty in the 'deep'; one of the most ancient and popular of Irish names, still in use in every part of the country, but generally anglicised Daniel; also one of the most popular names in Scotland, where it is anglicised Donald. Only one saint of the name is mentioned in the Irish martyrologies; his feast was kept on 26th April Latin — Domnaldus, Donaldus.

Angliscation to Daniel was quite common so for example:
    Mac Domhnaill can be anglisced as McDonnell, McDonald, McDaniel

A good example perhaps is Daniel O'Donnell ;)

dubhthach wrote: »
    Domhnall

Angliscation to Daniel was quite common so for example:
    Mac Domhnaill can be anglisced as McDonnell, McDonald, McDaniel

A good example perhaps is Daniel O'Donnell ;)
    Dónall Ó Domhnaill......bhfuil an ceart agam?

Seasan wrote: »
    Dónall Ó Domhnaill......bhfuil an ceart agam?

Domhnall Ó Domhnaill

Dónall Ó Dónaill

Of course technically speaking the O'Donnell's are poeticaly known as "Clann Dalaigh" as they descend from Dalach (died 870)
    U870.3

Dalach m. Muirchertaigh, dux Generis Conaill, a gennte sua iugulatus est.

The O'Donnell's been descendants of his grandson Domnall Mór (Old. Irish spelling)
    [CLANN DALAIG]

54. (Page 19, col. a). Do craebhscailedh cloinne Dalaigh o Domhnall
    mor m Eccnechain anuas. Ri ceneil Conuill an Domhnall sin. As e
    do chum gnathuighthi et sochar Conullach, et as e do islicch a ndochar
    et a n-angnathuigthi ar Dia et do chuaidh a n-ord manach lieth i nEss
    Ruaidh. Et robadh ri leithe Cuinn e conuigi sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Cad é an NuaGhaeilge ar Malachy? Dé réir Donnchadh Ó Corráin, is é Máel Máedoc nó Máel Seachnall an bun-ainm ach an bhfuil leagan Gaeilge níos nua-aoisí ná sin?

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Cad é an NuaGhaeilge ar Malachy? Dé réir Donnchadh Ó Corráin, is é Máel Máedoc nó Máel Seachnall an bun-ainm ach an bhfuil leagan Gaeilge níos nua-aoisí ná sin?

Brón orm faoin chéad phost-léigh mé é go fíor-mhícheart!!

Maelsheachlainn?
    Nó Maolsheachlainn?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

endacl wrote: »
    1. Ta
    2. Nil
    ALT GR abú!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

BarraOG wrote: »
    As mentioned by deirdremf, some dialects pronounce L and LL differently.

Brón orm faoin chéad phost-léigh mé é go fíor-mhícheart!!

Maelsheachlainn?
    Nó Maolsheachlainn?

Máel Máedóc ainm an naomh i sean Ghaeilge, sa "nua Ghaeilge": Maelmhaedhoc

Máel Sechnaill i sean Ghaeilge
    mar shampla:
    Máel Sechnaill mac Máele Ruanaid -- ard rí Éireann - d. 862
    Máel Sechnaill mac Domnaill -- ard rí Éireann - d.1022 (Máel Sechnaill Mór)
    Mael Sechnaill Got mac Mael Sechnaill -- rí Mí (1022-1025)

Ó lár an 11ú feicimid "Máel Sechlainn" so mar shampla:
    Conchobar ua Mael Sechlainn (Rí Mí -- 1030-1073), garmhac do "Máel Sechnaill Mór"
    Ó MAOILSHEACHLAINN—I—O Mulshaghlen, O Melaghlin, (MacLaughlin, MacLoughlin, &c., Ó Loughlan, Ó Loughlin); 'descendant of Maolsheachlainn' (servant of St. Secundinus); the name of a once celebrated Meath family, of the race of Niall of the Nine Hostages, who derive their descent from Maelsheachlainn, or Malachy II, King of Ireland, who was dethroned by Brian Boru and died in the year 1022. The clan-name of the O Melaghlins and their co-relatives was Clann Cholmain. Before the Anglo-Norman invasion they were kings of Meath, but after that period their power greatly declined. Meath was granted to Hugh de Lacy, and for many centuries the O Melaghlens were confined to the barony of Clonlonan in Westmeath. They were, however, one of the five Irish families who had the privilege of using English laws. In the reign of James I they were again stripped of a considerable portion of what remained of their ancient patrimony; and so completely had this ancient and once powerful family been ruined by the confiscations of the 17th century that in the attainders of 1691 there appears but one person of the name, Maolseachlin O Melaghlin, of Lough Mask, Co. Mayo. The name is now everywhere disguised under the anglicised forms of MacLaughlin, MacLoughlin, &c.

Alt faoin naomh Sechnall/Sechlann:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secundinus

Tá leabhar agam le scríobhneoir darb ainm Maolmhaodhóg Ó Ruairc,agus leabhar eile ón t-údar darb ainm Maolsheachlainn Ó Caollaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Esel wrote: »
    ALT GR abú!
    Bhí mé ar mo phóca. Ní raibh mé go mbeadh eochair ALT GR!

Tá brón orm....

:(

endacl wrote: »
    Bhí mé ar mo phóca. Ní raibh mé go mbeadh eochair ALT GR!

Tá brón orm....

:(

Bhuel sa iPhone ní gcaithfidh tú ach "brú" a chuir ar na "cnaipe":

iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-type-accented-characters_1.png

Domhnall Ó Domhnaill

Dónall Ó Dónaill

B'fhéidir nach bhfuil "Dónall" le h-úsáid ag Daniel O'Donnell fhèin mar leagan Gaeilge ar a ainm pearsanta fhéin ar chor ar bith!!
    Féach ar an liosta seo a leanas:

http://www.ireland-information.com/heraldichall/irishboysnames.htm

B'fhéidir nach bhfuil "Dónall" le h-úsáid ag Daniel O'Donnell fhèin mar leagan Gaeilge ar a ainm pearsanta fhéin ar chor ar bith!!
    Féach ar an liosta seo a leanas:

http://www.ireland-information.com/heraldichall/irishboysnames.htm

Indeed, but my point was more about historic "Interpretatio romana" where certain names were mapped onto an english name where no connection actually exist.

Mar shampla:
    Donncha -> Dennis
    Áine -> Anne
    Dónal/Domhnall -> Daniel (Mac Dómhnaill ó Clann Ceallaigh == McDonnell, McDaniel ⁊ McDonald i mBéarla)
    Aodh -> Hugh
    Cathal -> Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If Donal is Daniel, then what's Donald?

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If Donal is Daniel, then what's Donald?

How Seán Connery would say the name ;) historically Donald is scottish angliscation thence the McDonalds of the isles are "Mac Domhnaill" (in Irish) though in Gáidhlig the name is: "Mac Dhòmhnaill". Generally that surname is angliscaed as "McDonell" in Ireland (for example McDonnells of Monaghan, or even McDonnell's in places like Wicklow with Gallowglass origin)

Woulfe mentions the following latin forms of the name:
    Domnaldus, Donaldus

It's probable that thus the angliscation Donald is influence by the Latin form (terminal d)

Indeed, but my point was more about historic "Interpretatio romana" where certain names were mapped onto an english name where no connection actually exist.

Mar shampla:
    Donncha -> Dennis
    Áine -> Anne
    Dónal/Domhnall -> Daniel (Mac Dómhnaill ó Clann Ceallaigh == McDonnell, McDaniel ⁊ McDonald i mBéarla)
    Aodh -> Hugh
    Cathal -> Charles

Tá ceist agam faoin leagan Gaeilge ar m'ainm féin.
    Tà dhá litriú ann-"Iasón" agus "Iasan".
    (foghraítear "EEaSon" nó "EEaSun" ar an dhá cheann.)

Creid nó ná chreid,bíonn cuma deacracht ag Gaeilgeoirí eile an ainm beag seo a rá in iomlán ceart-agus ceapaim go mbraitheann sé ar an litriú.
    Mar sin,bíonn "Iasón" le h-úsáid agam uaireanta,agus uaireanta eile úsàidim "Iasan"....mar a dúirt mé-braitheann sé.
    An bhfuil cead agam é sin a dhèanamh?

Iasón an leagan traidisiúnta, an leagan atá aigesna filí.

Domnaldus, Donaldus

It's probable that thus the angliscation Donald is influence by the Latin form (terminal d)
    Más ea, an é "Filius Donaldi" an leagan Laidine? An bhfuil 'Filius' in inead "Mac" le feiscint ins na lamhsríbhinní nuair a bhí an Laidean á húsáid ag an scríbhneoir?

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    Más ea, an é "Filius Donaldi" an leagan Laidin? An bhfuil 'Filius' in inead "Mac" le feiscint ins na lamhsríbhinní nuair a bhí an Laidean á húsáid ag an scríbhneoir?
    U612.1

Mors Aedho Alddain filii Domnaill, regis Temro.

U666.1

Mors Ailella Flainn Esso filii Domnaill filii Aedho filii Ainmereach.
    U612.1

Death of Aed Allán son of Domnall, king of Temair.

U666.1

Death of Ailill Flann Esa, son of Domnall son of Aed son of Ainmire.

(fīlius m (genitive fīliī))

Níl aon Laidin agamsa, feicim Donaldus/Donaldi (nominative/genitive ?) ar an leathanach seo

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldus_Tusk

(fīlius m (genitive fīliī))

Níl aon Laidin agamsa, feicim Donaldus/Donaldi (nominative/genitive ?) ar an leathanach seo

http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donaldus_Tusk
    GRMA a dhubhthaigh. Nach ait an rud é gur scríobhadh "fīliī" mar aistriú do "Mac" cé gur sa tuiseal ginideach atá "fīliī" agus "mac" sa tuiseal ainmneach. An bhfuil míniú ag éinne? Ní saineolaí Laidine mise, b'fhéid gur fearr an t-eolas atá ag duine éigint anso.

How Seán Connery would say the name ;) historically Donald is scottish angliscation thence the McDonalds of the isles are "Mac Domhnaill" (in Irish) though in Gáidhlig the name is: "Mac Dhòmhnaill". Generally that surname is angliscaed as "McDonell" in Ireland (for example McDonnells of Monaghan, or even McDonnell's in places like Wicklow with Gallowglass origin)

Domnaldus, Donaldus

In Scotland, or at least in some dialects of Gaelic, Domhnall is pronounced Domhnallt, I'd say this is where the final "d" in Donald comes from.

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    GRMA a dhubhthaigh. Nach ait an rud é gur scríobhadh "fīliī" mar aistriú do "Mac" cé gur sa tuiseal ginideach atá "fīliī" agus "mac" sa tuiseal ainmneach. An bhfuil míniú ag éinne? Ní saineolaí Laidine mise, b'fhéid gur fearr an t-eolas atá ag duine éigint anso.
    Tá seo coitianta go leor sa nGaeilge.

Fionn Mac Cumhaill Mhic Tréanmhór
    Oisín Mac Fhinn Mhic Chumaill

deirdremf wrote: »
    Tá seo coitianta go leor sa nGaeilge.

Fionn Mac Cumhaill Mhic Tréanmhór
    Oisín Mac Fhinn Mhic Chumaill
    Amadán 'sea mise gan dabht! GRMA a dheirdremf!

Bhí séimhiú ann sa tuiseal tabharthach fadó leis:

ó Shéamas Mhac Mhathúna

Chonac i gcúpla leabhar Mumhan é, ach n'fheadar cad é tuiseal tabharthach an fhocail "Mac" nuair a bhí tabharthach ag na hainmfhocailibh fireanna.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nach mbíonn sé fós mar sin i nGaeilge Uladh? (i. tógann an tuiseal tabharthach séimhiú, agus tógann aidiacht séimhiú leis?)

Advertisement