Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hide (chat thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

whyulittle wrote: »
    A few firsts of the season today with Swifts at the house, and Whitethroat, Small Copper and Four-spotted Chaser at the local bog. No sign of any Cuckoos though unfortunately.

I haven't seen any of those species here yet, but did hear a Cuckoo today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Perhaps the end of the Irish Corncrake. Department of Agriculture in their wisdom want to restrict delayed mowing grant to any farmer in GLAS. Since virtually most farmers in Corncrake areas are in GLAS, no farmer will be eligible for the delayed mowing grant. No incentive to delay mowing so most corncrake will be killed in mowing. All my efforts might be for nothing. What a kip of a Country..........................
    Department of agriculture after softening their stance! Who would have thought it!!! Keeping the pressure on them. The Irish Corncrake cannot be lost:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

discovered this clump of hair on my lawn this morning..is it from an animal?

hair.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »
    discovered this clump of hair on my lawn this morning..is it from an animal?

hair.jpg

It's like cow or horse hair gathered by a bird for nesting material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Swifts seem to have arrived in the Naas area over the Weekend - also a lot of Whitethroats about too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

2 fledgling Sparrows in the garden this afternoon, I suspect the Starling babies are on their way soon too can hear them in a nest a few houses down from me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Are swallow numbers down all over the country on other years?
    I know they're back here and talking to other people in wexford they seem to be down too.

I wonder what caused it?
    Was it the cold weather in spain as they were migrating here?
    Perhaps?

Because there was a big number leaving here last autumn but not returning.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Are swallow numbers down all over the country on other years?
    I know they're back here and talking to other people in wexford they seem to be down too.

I wonder what caused it?
    Was it the cold weather in spain as they were migrating here?
    Perhaps?

Because there was a big number leaving here last autumn but not returning.

Much too early to tell yet.

CORNCRAKE calling from my nettles!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

What is the call like? I noticed a low growl/chirrup from stony wet patches of rushes and nettle-patches yesterday but no birds breaking cover or flying so puzzled.

Fantastic! Delighted to hear that. :)

Chisler2 wrote: »
    What is the call like? I noticed a low growl/chirrup from stony wet patches of rushes and nettle-patches yesterday but no birds breaking cover or flying so puzzled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8aLM-5Ob48
    sounds like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I drove through a huge swarm of those large black St Marks Fly's yesterday - never seen anything like it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interestingly, the males eyes are divided by a groove and have separate connections to the brain. This allows the males to use the upper eye part to look out for females and the lower part to monitor their position in relation to the ground, allowing them to hover in the same position. - See more at: https://www.buglife.org.uk/bugs-and-habitats/st-marks-fly#sthash.TxxihHuW.dpuf
    They must be a reincarnation of those lads that hang around outside the chipper shop on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

It's like cow or horse hair gathered by a bird for nesting material.

It's funny you mention that because I see birds all the time picking up dog hair for their nests. I have 2 german shepherds, who shed a lot so the birdies are loving the hair for insulation. It's so funny to see them picking up one hair at a time in their beaks. To me, the hairs look absolutely teeny weeny and they only pick up a few at a time but I suppose compared to their size, it's probably like a blanket when combined with all their other materials.

I live in the countryside and have huge trees all around my property so there's loads of birds here. In the past week, I've seen a number of eggs on the ground below trees where I know birds are nesting.
    It's so sad:( The shells are so so delicate. I know it's the circle of life and nature just being nature but it's still sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Is there anything better than sitting on a rainy day and listening to all the birds singing away to each other? Bliss.
    I literally cannot read or watch enough things about why birds sing and what it all means and all that stuff. It fascinates me.

I love when there's just one bird sitting up on a really high tree going through all of his/her songs on a loop.

Edit to add: it's a Blackbird up at the top of the tree singing! I find that really strange because I always think of them being ground birds, maybe I'm wrong on that? He/she was up there singing for about 20 minutes, came down and got a snack (doing that hilarious run and dead stop they do :pac:) and then back up for some more singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

At a wetlands site today, an amazing amount of Dragonflies and in particular Damselflies about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Anyone notice a scarcity of cuckoo this year ? Been to several suitable scrubland / farmland / bog sites over past few weeks and no cuckoos. I've heard just 3 this season so far, all on sites where heard last year as well but not hearing them in other habitats which would appear to be suitable

• Advertisement

Yep, went to Boora today specifically looking for them, but no joy.

EDIT: Oh yes, but I did hear my first Sedge Warblers of the year! Love them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Heard one on the Burren over a couple days last week and one here at home (north Wicklow) the other day, first time for many years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Saw one yesterday at Kilbride camp in North Wicklow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Have been doing some survey work on bogs last week and heard at least one cuckoo on every one of them!

Have been doing some survey work on bogs last week and heard at least one cuckoo on every one of them!

many breeding curlew?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

many breeding curlew?

In short, no! Though surveying this season didn't start as early as we'd all have liked. Likely that many nests lost already.

• Advertisement

In short, no! Though surveying this season didn't start as early as we'd all have liked. Likely that many nests lost already.

:( Terrible. I know of pair on nest in Kildare. Otherwise nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

I came across a hummingbird hawk moth yesterday evening. What an amazing creature.

Just incredible to see and hear.

I came across a hummingbird hawk moth yesterday evening. What an amazing creature.

Just incredible to see and hear.

I saw one last evening too. Fantastic creatures! I managed to get a shot, but the light was fading fast, so it's not the best to be honest. It was foraging on Bush Vetch. They've visited my garden several times over the years, and seem to love my Red Valerian.

34721926311_96b5e008f3_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Hotei wrote: »
    I saw one last evening too. Fantastic creatures! I managed to get a shot, but the light was fading fast, so it's not the best to be honest. It was foraging on Bush Vetch. They've visited my garden several times over the years, and seem to love my Red Valerian.

Nice.
    Id imagine they are hard to get a photo of. I had no camera but have gone back to check a few times since.

Red Valerian it is then.

Hotei wrote: »
    Nice.
    Id imagine they are hard to get a photo of. I had no camera but have gone back to check a few times since.

Red Valerian it is then.

Thanks vistafinder.
    If the light is good, and you have your camera set to sports mode, you can get decent enough shots. Of course, where and when the subject turns up is another thing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Springwatch starts tomorrow Monday 8pm BBC2.

Two flybys past the house by a Kestrel today; even one was unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

heard a discussion on the local radio station about the wildlife in the grounds of johnstown castle [ just outside wexford ] .They have recently got photos [ night vision cameras i pressume] of a 'pine martin', it said that all mammals that can be found in ireland have now bee seen on the estate , i dont know over what period of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

[Sorry if this is a thick question]

Any fawns in the Phoenix Park? Noticed some pics in my FB feed from abroad with some that cant be a month old and google tells me now is the season?

Might be a good opportunity with some long glass next week if so.

Saw four Red Kites while on the M11 on Tuesday, one at Ashford, two at Redcross and one at Arklow...got me idly thinking why have they not spread northwards? I have seen one at Delgany some time ago and one here at the home farm near Greystones during the initial release period.
    The countryside west of the M11 would seem ideal .. Do Kites and Buzzards share territory? The latter have become well established here over many years and is the only reason I can think of that might curtail the Kites expansion in this direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Hi Zoom4m8, I have seen one regularly at Windgates just outside of Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Is there any record of Red Kites being spotted in the Phoenix park?

I think I might have see one near St Mary's Hospital last Sunday. I regularly see buzzards in the park and initially thought that's what it was but this bird had more of a forked tail than the fan tail of a buzzard and didn't seem as big.

I know kites are found in Wicklow and north county Dublin but would it be possible that one would be spotted so close to Dublin city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

ED E wrote: »
    [Sorry if this is a thick question]

Any fawns in the Phoenix Park? Noticed some pics in my FB feed from abroad with some that cant be a month old and google tells me now is the season?

Might be a good opportunity with some long glass next week if so.
    Saw a doe with a fawn in the park near Chapelizod gate last Sunday

Hi Zoom4m8, I have seen one regularly at Windgates just outside of Bray.

I'm not far from Windgates and would use the road from time to time, same goes for the Killruddery estate but all I see are Buzzards, maybe a visit to Specsavers is called for!

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    the only reason I can think of that might curtail the Kites expansion in this direction.
    I was thinking the same thing myself, but I don't know if anyone has done any research on it.

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing myself, but I don't know if anyone has done any research on it.

Experience in the UK has shown buzzards and red kites will often share their territories and they usually don't have a problem with each other at feeding stations.

It's still very early days and less than 10 years since the first successful breeding in Ireland following the reintroduction project.

There does appear to be overlap in the uk though I'd consider the feeding stations an artificial environment and not necessarily a true indication of tolerance.
    Ten years is certainly early days but the expansion from their 'hq' in Avoca has been rapid and to me at least appears to have stopped roughly around Ashford in the north.
    Because they have been so successful I would have thought that at this stage there would be pressure on available breeding territories.

I'd consider the feeding stations an artificial environment .
    You might be onto something there. Aren't they still being fed at Avoca? Perhaps the kites are not comfortable with flying any further from the feeding station? A sort of "range anxiety" like electric car owners apparently suffer from. :)

recedite wrote: »
    You might be onto something there. Aren't they still being fed at Avoca? Perhaps the kites are not comfortable with flying any further from the feeding station? A sort of "range anxiety" like electric car owners apparently suffer from. :)

I don't think they've been fed for years? To the best of my knowledge the feeding was only done around the time of releases to ensure the birds had a good start.

From what I've heard before Red Kites are slow at expanding their range. Look at the Woodpeckers for comparison - they started off in Wicklow in the very recent past too and are now breeding in several counties, with sightings in plenty more counties too!

Good point..maybe the Kites are slow to expand and as very social birds are probably not very territorial , anyway I've asked a couple questions in the Red Kite section of the Eagle site so I'll see what they have to say..
    Open to correction but I don't think they are feeding now right enough..
    Re Woodpeckers, I've had a bird here in the garden a couple of days ago that I'm convinced was a Woodpecker , he flew over head near me but with the sun in my eyes it was difficult to make out the markings, I resorted to keeping the bins beside me at mealtimes as with the hot weather we would have the sliding doors open in the kitchen.. Every time I heard him I would rush out to have a look but the little bugger made sure he was well out of sight in the middle of a large conifer.
    He apoears to have gone now, maybe just as well, I think the other was half was considering having me committed ...:rolleyes:

I've had a bird here in the garden a couple of days ago that I'm convinced was a Woodpecker
    I got a great view of one in the garden last winter. he was scooting up the trunk of a tree like a treecreeper, then when he got to the top he would glide down to the base of the next one. That's in Delgany, not too far away from you. Never saw him again though; they don't seem to hang around in one place for long.

Good to hear they have been seen in this neck of the woods..( 'cuse the pun..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Rosahane

My wife may have spotted a kite last week between Kill and Ardclough. We were driving along and she was watching what she initially thought was a Buzzard until when we were passing almost underneath it she saw the V tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Collite eucalyptus plantation about two years old, like walking thru some alien planet or something, really fast growing, I posted on here about them when they where planted about two years. The leaves are untouched by wildlife,
    strange pale red and greens , and they look sick but they not just the way the leaves and branches hang

Anyone know how long the harvest cycle is or how big they get?
    Some of the tallest ones there are nearly 20 feet I guess.

[IMG][/img]Kc6LugW.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IAuOtKJ.jpg

• Advertisement

They look like eucalyptus should look. Normally they are thinned at 5 or 6 years old and then finally at 15 years old. The height depends on the variety planted. They are a valuable source for bees and other pollinating insects.

Advertisement