Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs Advice

Options
  • 14-10-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Howaya lads, finally got around to getting myself a desktop and was wondering if you could help me out.

Unfortunately the computer and the router aren't in the same room, it's directly above it.
    Connection wise I get about 75Mbps down with ping around 10 when I'm plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. I get around 45-50Mbps down and ping of about 25 on the wireless.

What I was wondering is, is what kind of speed is lost between the the router and the computer via the homeplugs?

I realise that it's different for every house, but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of some figures for the average Irish household? I do believe the house was built in the 70/80s.

(I could be dreaming but we might have had the house rewired when we got an extension done a few years ago, what kind of difference would modern wiring make?)

Basically I don't want to bother investing in a set of homeplugs if it's not really going to make a difference compared to a cheaper wireless card.

I've heard of people running a CAT5 cable through the ceiling but I'm not sure I could convince herself to let me start drilling holes around the place.

Thanks, you guys are the go to for any tech questions, always helpful and informative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to predict exactly what kind of performance you'll get with homeplugs. It depends a lot on the house and also the brand/quality of the homeplugs. We had a discussion in this thread. If you're getting 45-50mb/s with wifi, I'd say cheap homeplugs won't do much better. Possibly worse. Maybe borrow some from a friend if you can, just to see how they do.

If you don't mind spending a bit, these seem to be the best homeplugs around at the moment:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-650-Plus-Starter/dp/B00HLY65YI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1411722506&sr=1-2&keywords=devolo+dlan+650

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

There's some great up to date info in this thread on homeplugs mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MyNameIsEoghan

Cheers lads, some good info there.

Until I'm in better digs with good wiring I might as well just grab a little usb wireless adaptor.

Would anyone have any particular recommendations or does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

I've heard of people running a CAT5 cable through the ceiling but I'm not sure I could convince herself to let me start drilling holes around the place.

I was in your situation, and ended up going the drilling route. The room I was aiming for had a fitted wardrobe, so I drilled into it from below and set up the switches/etc inside, away from prying eyes. Couple of U nails into the skirting boards and you end up with a very neat job.

In my case, i asked my landlord while he was over and he was happy to do the job for me. From his point of view, he'd prefer do it himself than let me knock holes in the place. And for my "herself", she was happy to have less cables running up the stairs.

I'm loathe go no near a drill in case I make a mess of it or hit something important.

I know I keep switching and changing but I followed up a line of inquiry and found out that the whole house was rewired about 7 years ago, would you think that'd be recent enough to warrant a set of homeplugs?

If not I'll just pick up a USB adaptor.

Actual homeplugs wise there's a pair of TP-Link 500MB ones one the go for cheap enough, I have plug sockets to spare so that's grand.

The Devolo ones are probably a bit better but I don't know if they'd be worth the heftier price tag. Maybe I'm wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

7 Years is fine, just get a set from maplin or another place who do no quibble returns within 30 days, and test them for yourself.

The tp-links are grand, I know people using them with no issues.

Ethernet>Homeplug>Wireless as far as gaming goes.

Cheers for that, it's always nice to get a bit of confirmation before you dive in and purchase something.

I'll try and get them this weekend and will let you all know how they're working out.

Thanks again, lads.

You're always a great help.

Advertisement