Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Homepluigs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got these for myself recently and they work perfectly. Though I needed it to be wifi too. You can get these non wifi too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DHB2T44/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0XJD13ASHEMKFN4110K4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Know anyone who has Eircom? http://www.eircom.net/accessories/homeplugs/homeplugs/plug2/

The ones you linked would be faster (also has a 1000mb port, as opposed to a 100mb port that I linked to), but the ones I linked to comes with a standard one, and a wireless one.

As for your WiFi router and horizon, what have you tried? You may just need to turn off DHCP on one box.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I got these for myself recently and they work perfectly. Though I needed it to be wifi too. You can get these non wifi too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DHB2T44/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=mobile-1&pf_rd_r=0XJD13ASHEMKFN4110K4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=507564347&pf_rd_i=mobile

Well, it sounds like TP-link with gigabit connection is the one to get. Horizon box gives me 20-50 mbit depending where I am in the house, so I really only want the homeplugs for my desktop PC (which of course is the furthest possible distance from the router).

Any idea what speeds you actually get with the wired portion of any of these? From what I've read it seems to be hugely variable depending on the house and the wiring. Was hoping to at least get near 100 mbit.

the_syco wrote: »
    Know anyone who has Eircom? http://www.eircom.net/accessories/homeplugs/homeplugs/plug2/

The ones you linked would be faster (also has a 1000mb port, as opposed to a 100mb port that I linked to), but the ones I linked to comes with a standard one, and a wireless one.

As for your WiFi router and horizon, what have you tried? You may just need to turn off DHCP on one box.

Don't know anybody with eircom. I tried plugging my wifi router into the horizon box, and I tried turning off DHCP on my router. Didn't work. The horizon box doesn't have a real service menu like a proper router. Just an option to 'join an external network' - I tried that too but it just meant that the horizon box no longer function as an modem (so no internet at all then).

Luck100 wrote: »
    Any idea what speeds you actually get with the wired portion of any of these? From what I've read it seems to be hugely variable depending on the house and the wiring. Was hoping to at least get near 100 mbit.
    Aye, although it does depend a lot on your house and wiring, the newer homeplugs have better technology that increases speed.

I suppose the important questions are how old your house is, and do you only have the one fuse board?

• Advertisement

my router
    What's the make & model?

Aye, although it does depend a lot on your house and wiring, the newer homeplugs have better technology that increases speed.

I suppose the important questions are how old your house is, and do you only have the one fuse board?

I think the house was built in the 70's. Only one fusebox. But homeplug will be connecting ground floor to attic.

What's the make & model?

I think it's a Cisco. It's a pretty cheap wifi N router, but I was getting nearly 100 mbit with it before I got the **** horizon box. I was able to set up the old UPC modem in bridge mode, which doesn't seem to be an option with horizon.

I'm going to give the Cisco another shot this weekend, I think I just didn't configure it correctly. I turned off DHCP but I forgot to give it a static IP. Going to try following this recipe:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/3494655/how-set-up-router-as-repeater/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I got some of these for my brother in law as he lives in a solid brick bungalow and wifi can't get to over half the place even though it's only small.

TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

i tried them in my house before i gave them to him and they weren't any faster than the 200Mbps ones i had been using previously, which was only around 50Mbps sustained transfer, only going from one room to the next downstairs, which I was disappointed with considering it's not a cheaply built house and didn't have far to go, i had expected to improve (i.e. double at least) the speed of the 200Mbps ones.

I just ran gigabit ethernet up the wall into the attic and back down the other wall to where i needed it in the end as i was getting 50Mbps over wifi anyway so it was pointless, so if there's any way you can do that, it's the only reliable way to get the full whack of speed in most houses in my experience, and that's after trying 4 different wifi routers and 3 different homeplugs in 4 different houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, it sounds like TP-link with gigabit connection is the one to get. Horizon box gives me 20-50 mbit depending where I am in the house, so I really only want the homeplugs for my desktop PC (which of course is the furthest possible distance from the router).

I got those for my consoles. To get wifi and direct connection for ps4/ps3/wii u. Now PS4 speed test is total bollox and as accurate as weather casting in Ireland, but it shows about 30-40mbit connection when I directly connect it to ps4. Test on Phone with wifi when connected to homeplug gets about 25-30mbit.

I did not knew you could order those so cheaply off eircom if you got broadband with them. I payed like 70eu for my ones. :mad:

• Advertisement

After reading some more reviews, the Devolo 650+ plugs look like they take the performance crown. Not the cheapest but it looks like they've recently cut the price on Amazon.
    We test in four different locations of the home - the distances are straight line, not wiring lengths.

1. 2m between adapters, ground floor, same ring main.
    2. 9m between adapters, ground floor, same ring main.
    3. 5m between adapters, 1st floor, same ring main.
    4. 15m from the main adapter in the garage, not the same ring main, a single spur from the main consumer unit.

Our tests are as follows:
    1. 2 x 1GB files simultaneously transferred.
    2. 2 x 100MB files simultaneously transferred.
    3. 2 x 1GB files successively transferred.
    4. 10 x 100MB files successively transferred.
    5. 100 x 5MB files successively transferred.
    6. 1000 x 10KB files successively transferred.
    7. 1000 x 1MB files successively transferred.

The simultaneous test results shown are the maximum throughput speed, whilst the successive tests results are shown as an average speed.

4de4dbf98f6a44f70047a19cb6c95093_8732.jpg

https://www.avforums.com/review/devolo-dlan-650-triple-powerline-review.10439

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-650-Plus-Starter/dp/B00HLY65YI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1411722506&sr=1-2&keywords=devolo+dlan+650

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

From my own experience, I have a set of the TP-Link Gigabit ones.

Router downstairs, at other side of house, me upstairs - ~8-15Mb/s
    Router downstairs, at same side of house, me upstairs - ~50-70Mb/s

Old house, no idea when built. Different ring main (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I have 120Mb UPC Internet line and Devolo dLAN 200 AVplus (Pass-Thru + Filter) and their Cockpit application tells me i have 160Mb to the router but when i run a test on speedtest.upc.ie i get 60Mb. So it looks like Devolo is telling me lies. When i plug the laptop directly to router i have full 120Mb. So my Devolo 200Mb is telling me i have 160Mb but reality is 60Mb.
    I've tried different location in the house and was getting about 140Mb to 166Mb on Cockpit application but test on speedtest.upc.ie was giving constant 60Mb -66Mb

My conclusion is that Cockpit application is overoptimistic or just telling lies :)

I would like to hear if anyone has done same test? Especially with Devolo dLAN 500 or Devolo dLAN 650 Plus

I have 120Mb UPC Internet line and Devolo dLAN 200 AVplus (Pass-Thru + Filter) and their Cockpit application tells me i have 160Mb to the router but when i run a test on speedtest.upc.ie i get 60Mb. So it looks like Devolo is telling me lies. When i plug the laptop directly to router i have full 120Mb. So my Devolo 200Mb is telling me i have 160Mb but reality is 60Mb.
    I've tried different location in the house and was getting about 140Mb to 166Mb on Cockpit application but test on speedtest.upc.ie was giving constant 60Mb -66Mb

My conclusion is that Cockpit application is overoptimistic or just telling lies :)

I would like to hear if anyone has done same test? Especially with Devolo dLAN 500 or Devolo dLAN 650 Plus

My impression is that the speed rating for homeplugs specifies the total bandwidth available between all points, so you need to immediately divide by two for duplex. So the 200mb plugs will never give more than 100mb in one direction. The other factor is that most plugs (like your 200mb ones) only have 100mb ethernet outputs, so you can never pull more than 100mb anyway. Some of the new ones (like the Devolo 650+) have gigabit ethernet, so you can actually get over 100mb if the powerline will support it.

I wonder if Cockpit is giving the full duplex bandwidth (so you could never achieve more than half its value on a one-way transfer). No doubt it is also a raw bandwidth before error correction coding, which will reduce the bandwidth available for transfers.

My impression is that the speed rating for homeplugs specifies the total bandwidth available between all points, so you need to immediately divide by two for duplex. So the 200mb plugs will never give more than 100mb in one direction. The other factor is that most plugs (like your 200mb ones) only have 100mb ethernet outputs, so you can never pull more than 100mb anyway. Some of the new ones (like the Devolo 650+) have gigabit ethernet, so you can actually get over 100mb if the powerline will support it.

I wonder if Cockpit is giving the full duplex bandwidth (so you could never achieve more than half its value on a one-way transfer). No doubt it is also a raw bandwidth before error correction coding, which will reduce the bandwidth available for transfers.

Well that makes a lot of sense! i did not even consider that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have two devolo 650+ ones, and devolo cockpit is telling me I'm getting 500Mbps, but get 160Mbps (as measured on Network Meter gadget on my desktop) average on large file transfers over my network from my HTPC on the same floor only one room away.

Alun wrote: »
    I have two devolo 650+ ones, and devolo cockpit is telling me I'm getting 500Mbps, but get 160Mbps (as measured on Network Meter gadget on my desktop) average on large file transfers over my network from my HTPC on the same floor only one room away.

Thanks for those numbers, I'd actually be pretty happy to get 160 Mbps.

i'm really undecided here. I like Devolo 650+ plugs as i'm familiar with Devolo but i see wireless router like Asus RT-N66U can in theory give move bandwidth for less cost and its more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i'm really undecided here. I like Devolo 650+ plugs as i'm familiar with Devolo but i see wireless router like Asus RT-N66U can in theory give move bandwidth for less cost and its more convenient.

They really fill two different roles, which you need is decided by what the issue is in your premises, range or throughput.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the speed you'll get from a router is very much dependent on the speed of your wireless card, distance, walls and construction of your house as well as many other factors, plus router manufacturers are almost as imaginative with their speed ratings for wifi as homeplug manufacturers are. :)

I have a 300Mbps router and wifi card and I still only get about 50Mbps sustained transfer rates at best from the next room, but then again, it's about the same with both 200Mbps OR 500Mbps homeplugs too, so it's not much different whichever I use, hence my reasons for running gigabit ethernet cables instead. :)

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    manufacturers are almost as imaginative with their speed ratings for wifi as homeplug manufacturers are. :)

HAHAHA , totally agree!! :) a good rule of thumb seams to be to take any claim by manufacturer and divide it by 8 to get more realistic expectation. :)

Advertisement