Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people beep L drivers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I wouldn't be too concerned if I thought someone was asleep at the lights I might give a quick beep, they might not have known that you stalled, if they were sitting on the horn (possibly poor choice of phrasing there) then they're probably a just a jerk in which case there's not much you can do, you'll meet plenty of jerks on the road on any given day, just be happy that this one isn't actively trying to cause you to crash.

In saying all that people get way to offended when they're beeped these days, I've on many occasions beeped my horn to make another car aware of my presence and avoid a crash only to have them behave like I have personally insulted and wronged them, just be aware that sometimes when people beep at you it's for your own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

if some donkey beeps me to speed up, i slow down. cause thats the way i roll ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Duiske wrote: »
    Unless you think that the vast majority of drivers who currently hold a full license had their applications for driving tests sitting in the huge backlog of 1978, then your above description of the vast majority of other drivers is nothing more than a vast over-exaggeration.

That is incorrect. Up until the late 1960s or perhaps even later there was no test at all.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    That is incorrect. Up until the late 1960s or perhaps even later there was no test at all.

Edit 1964.
    Anyone who got a license before then did not have any test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

^^^^ jeesus for the third time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

M three wrote: »
    You have some type of death stare but yet lack the ability to drive a car without the benefit of an instructor??

full license driver beside me .... mr assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Viper_JB wrote: »
    In saying all that people get way to offended when they're beeped these days, I've on many occasions beeped my horn to make another car aware of my presence and avoid a crash only to have them behave like I have personally insulted and wronged them, just be aware that sometimes when people beep at you it's for your own good.

I'd agree with that. While I do think that there are some very inconsiderate tossers out there who'd honk their horns at their own mother if she looked at them sideways, some times it is done for a damm good reason. To alert another driver that they are doing something incorrect and/or dangerous.

When I was learning to drive and indeed for a while after I passed my test, I made the typical mistakes that an inexperienced driver makes. I had the bejazus scared out of me more than once by another driver honking his horn at me. That promptly snapped me out of the 'it's all about me, me, me' bubble that I think a lot of newbies drive around in. I became more aware of my surroundings and other drivers, and just a better driver all around, because other drivers sometimes let me know they weren't impressed with how I was driving. It may have ticked me off at the time, but I am a better driver because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

L plates are a curse. Drivers see them as a bloody challenge. Cant wait to get the feckers off. Ive been tailgated at 120Kmph for no reason. Had people coming towards me cut out across of me when they are turning right.

But in general. Tailgating at low speeds happens regularly by some incompetent asshole drivers. Literally so close they may as well get in a we could have a chat.

Needless overtaking. Ive had people try to overtake me coming up to red lights... and fail. I am not a slow driver, they just see the L plate and think they have to get passed or get frustrated because I just wont disappear.

Ignore them, turn up the music and you'll get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

kingtut wrote: »
    Well seeing as people don't seem to realise that driving with L plates if you are not a learner driver is illegal

That's not true.

What about family members sharing a car? - e.g. son takes lessons in the evenings, father takes the car to work during the day.

Taking L plates on and off is a pain.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    That's not true.

What about family members sharing a car? - e.g. son takes lessons in the evenings, father takes the car to work during the day.

Taking L plates on and off is a pain.

I passed my test about 8 years ago but drive with L plates for the last year because my wife is learning.
    Definitely a lot of drivers treat you differently just because of the plates in an irresponsible and immature way. I get a lot of bullying behaviour from other drivers. Shocking how obnoxious so many drivers are in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

HurtLocker wrote: »
    L plates are a curse. Drivers see them as a bloody challenge. Cant wait to get the feckers off. Ive been tailgated at 120Kmph for no reason. Had people coming towards me cut out across of me when they are turning right.

As a learner, where could you legally have been doing 120?

mitosis wrote: »
    As a learner, where could you legally have been doing 120?

Cork is a wonderful county :D
    N40 Cork
    6AUp0pQ.png

N40 Cork
    6AUp0pQ.png

A few years back lots of stretches of n roads, such as n4 and n7 were 120 kph before being upgraded to motorway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 drivewithclive

They are everywhere im afraid!! You should read the EDT lesson info and syllabus on Driving Calmly. .......outlines how to react to people like them.....not easy! and takes practice! !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 drivewithclive

magnetic L plates the way to go! !

ezra_pound wrote: »
    I passed my test about 8 years ago but drive with L plates for the last year because my wife is learning.
    Definitely a lot of drivers treat you differently just because of the plates in an irresponsible and immature way. I get a lot of bullying behaviour from other drivers. Shocking how obnoxious so many drivers are in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭josip

N40 Cork
    6AUp0pQ.png

Hurtlocker, what's the source for that photo? It looks like it was taken from the driver's side of a HGV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

josip wrote: »
    Hurtlocker, what's the source for that photo? It looks like it was taken from the driver's side of a HGV.

Google maps strret view see the ball type shadow on the road thats the dome that housed their camera equipment on top of their car.

Google maps strret view see the ball type shadow on the road thats the dome that housed their camera equipment on top of their car.

They street viewed Cork?

josip wrote: »

Ohh! You're trying to catch me out! Nice try Guard :D Maybe it was the passenger of the vehicle holding the camera in front if the driver or a dash cam. Or maybe the phone was placed on the dash or cellotaped to the screen and never held by the driver.

.. Ans:Google Street View, and I've over thought this haven't I :D

If I was a guard I would have posted "Heavy Goods Veh-icle" :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Cork's a great place to drive. Absolutely love it. Backroads from Ballincollig to Carrigadrohid are 80kph despite the fact that driving that fast would definitely result in deaths in that area. I drove an s80 around the place at around 40-55kph, still not feeling all that safe.

Cork is like the autobahn of ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Cork's a great place to drive. Absolutely love it. Backroads from Ballincollig to Carrigadrohid are 80kph despite the fact that driving that fast would definitely result in deaths in that area. I drove an s80 around the place at around 40-55kph, still not feeling all that safe.

Cork is like the autobahn of ROI.

You know, you're right - aside from the Model Farm Road, no speed traps to speak of, relatively light traffic, good roads everywhere. It's like a puuure daycint Black Autobahn awright, biy! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Car cut out at the lights earlier, as you do, I have seen full license drivers do it.

I didnt even get a chance to start the car and i have some tool behind beeping me out of it, how is that helping?

Its not helping you but its helping the insecure man child driving his penis extension...

jimgoose wrote: »
    You know, you're right - aside from the Model Farm Road, no speed traps to speak of, relatively light traffic, good roads everywhere. It's like a puuure daycint Black Autobahn awright, biy! :cool:

Say its not so? I drive that road a couple times a week. Traffic goes at 70km/h no problem. Never meet a camera yet. On that road. Although a person has warned me of them standing across from Nangles. Where and how often do you think it is?

But it limits really are guides on most roads once you know what you're doing. :)

Advertisement