Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do people beep L drivers?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Car cut out at the lights earlier, as you do, I have seen full license drivers do it.

I didnt even get a chance to start the car and i have some tool behind beeping me out of it, how is that helping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Some people are just A-holes, but in this case I'd give the other driver the benefit of the doubt and say that they didn't realize you stalled and thought you missed the light change.

Don't give unnecessary beepers a second thought, just take your own time if you ever stall and realize that most drivers will understand and give you the time you need. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if it was a little beep it could have been a little nudge from them to see that the lights had gone green, incase you missed it since you are an L driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Because of pure, downright pig ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Car cut out at the lights earlier, as you do, I have seen full license drivers do it.

I didnt even get a chance to start the car and i have some tool behind beeping me out of it, how is that helping?

How did they know you had stalled? Maybe they thought you might be texting someone. A beep might draw your attention to the green light.

Of course, some people are ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I hated it, and come across it more than once. In fact, once my instructor actually got out of the car and approached the man and lectured him on how his insensitivity and noise pollution could result in me making a mistake that could cause an accident.

Especially since he was beeping at me for absolutely no reason. Straight road, no traffic, I was doing the speed limit, and he was right up my hole. I even put the hazard lights on TWICE to indicate to him to be careful (as if the huge sign on the roof of the car or the sticker in the back window wasn't obvious enough).

Drivers generally dont give a monkeys if you are learning or not, and it seems to be an unwritten rule that the ignorant ones should never have been given a licence in the first place :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The only time I would ever beep a learner driver would be if they are a sheer incompetent (or just started) and they are on a main road at rush hour

FFS go to a parking lot like the rest of us did!

Other than that, we were all learners once, so I avoid beeping where at all possible (other than to warn of hazard or something)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The only time I would ever beep a learner driver would be if they are a sheer incompetent (or just started) and they are on a main road at rush hour

I'd say that's the absolute worst time to beep a new potentially nervous driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd say that's the absolute worst time to beep a new potentially nervous driver.

I would agree. My first lesson was in the hard shoulder of a main road, by a licensed instructor, I didn't go to a parking lot until I was learning reversing and parking. A lot of people probably don't remember how stressful it is to have impatient people beeping at you when you're already panicking about running 7 people over as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think people are doing a "friendly" beep in case you didn't see the green. If I ever do one of them, I always look into the car in front to see if they're daydreaming/texting/doing somthing that's distracting them.
    If the car directly behing can see they're trying to get into gear and they have a big L on the back of the car there's only one excuse for beeping - they're an asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

Happened to me...

Beeping just makes it worse, way more stress and pressure on the new driver which may lead to several more stalls.
    Then again you do need that kind of experience on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Between the beepers and the ones who are in the wrong lane and blame you because you have a big L shaped target on your windscreen, you just have to have a lot of patience :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Because some people don't think, have no patience, and were born expert drivers. Take no notice. Smile and wave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭dartup

its to correct your bad driving,it means learn to use the clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

dartup wrote: »

Sometimes the best of us have two left feet and ten thumbs. Using the horn to intimidate novices out on the road is ten-times-worse driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

A question on behalf non l drivers that get beeped at, Do the beepers ever consider that there may be a senior citizen/ person with a weak heart behind the wheel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dartup wrote: »

This forum is for constructive feedback, not snide remarks. Do not post in this forum if you do not have anything worth while to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

http://youtu.be/iBxloSkObYc - Dara O'Briain's excellent take on this topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

It is because they seem to think that learner drivers are a nuisence even though they were learner drivers themselves. I actually remember an article about L drivers being beeped at, so this does not seem to be a one-off thing around here.
    Pure ignorant idiots, who think they are better the L drivers because they passed the text.
    But to be honest all the proper rules and instructions go out off some driver's heads once they get their full license, I know a few people who just do their own thing once they obtain their full license. I'd say some of them would be more dangerous than the L drivers.

My mother told me when I was learning is when someone beeps or comes up too you too close, just stay calm and realise that your not at fault here, it's that driver's fault for coming up to you too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

because they are the worst of human vermin .

seems to mainly be older dudes who got free licenses , and also uptight bints.

i usually give em the stare in rear view when stopped , and they tend to fcuk off back alot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'll just leave this here.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Learners should avoid rush hour traffic when at the early stage of their learning process. They should avoid crowded stressful locations like schools, shopping centre car parks, city centre locations etc until well advanced into their learning process.

I blame the driving instructors in all this, putting learners into difficult situations well before they are fully able to cope.

We have a very limited and very fast set of lights at one of the exits on our Estates which I have to use. If a driver is good and expeditious at the lights 3 or 4 cars can get out on the green. If someone is slow then only 1 gets out. The cycle for the next green can be as long as 3 or 4 minutes. There is a hill at this exit and also you have to make a left or right turn up further hills. This seems to baffle a lot of drivers as they emerge unduly slowly preventing following traffic from emerging in good time. Inevitably a tailback occurs sometimes 30-40 cars long which can take 10-12 minutes to clear.

There are at least 3 or 4 driving instructors in our estate who use this exit with a learner under instruction at most inopportune times and I do not like meeting them at this exit.

However I avoid making any form of contact with them, beeping or otherwise, as it is futile to do so.

Perhaps the Gardai should have a friendly chat with the instructors about avoiding busy times and full capacity junctions at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

doolox wrote: »
    Learners should avoid rush hour traffic when at the early stage of their learning process. They should avoid crowded stressful locations like schools, shopping centre car parks, city centre locations etc until well advanced into their learning process.

I blame the driving instructors in all this, putting learners into difficult situations well before they are fully able to cope.

We have a very limited and very fast set of lights at one of the exits on our Estates which I have to use. If a driver is good and expeditious at the lights 3 or 4 cars can get out on the green. If someone is slow then only 1 gets out. The cycle for the next green can be as long as 3 or 4 minutes. There is a hill at this exit and also you have to make a left or right turn up further hills. This seems to baffle a lot of drivers as they emerge unduly slowly preventing following traffic from emerging in good time. Inevitably a tailback occurs sometimes 30-40 cars long which can take 10-12 minutes to clear.

There are at least 3 or 4 driving instructors in our estate who use this exit with a learner under instruction at most inopportune times and I do not like meeting them at this exit.

However I avoid making any form of contact with them, beeping or otherwise, as it is futile to do so.

Perhaps the Gardai should have a friendly chat with the instructors about avoiding busy times and full capacity junctions at peak times.

I'd be really interested in knowing what the Gardai would give you as a reply.

The truth is that as much as driving around a parking lot can be beneficial, it comes to a point where its usefulness reaches a plateau and the learner driver will need to take to the road - dealing with things such as traffic, junctions, sloping starts and so on can't be learnt in parking lots.

Other drivers should simply be mature and have patience - and be grateful that the vast majority of them, in Ireland, didn't even need to sit a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Were you with an instructor? If so why are they letting you drive on the road if you are letting the car stall?
    See this a lot, there are plenty of quiet industrial and business parks where someone could practise their driving skills first.
    Too many people going onto the road before they have the skills to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

DaDumTish wrote: »
    because they are the worst of human vermin .

seems to mainly be older dudes who got free licenses , and also uptight bints.

i usually give em the stare in rear view when stopped , and they tend to fcuk off back alot .

You have some type of death stare but yet lack the ability to drive a car without the benefit of an instructor??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

H3llR4iser wrote: »

Other drivers should simply be mature and have patience - and be grateful that the vast majority of them, in Ireland, didn't even need to sit a test.

Unless you think that the vast majority of drivers who currently hold a full license had their applications for driving tests sitting in the huge backlog of 1978, then your above description of the vast majority of other drivers is nothing more than a vast over-exaggeration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    A question on behalf non l drivers that get beeped at, Do the beepers ever consider that there may be a senior citizen/ person with a weak heart behind the wheel?

I really don't think that's in any way relevant
    Beeping happens all the time whether it's aimed at you or not and if you are medically unfit to drive, that's a bigger issue than beeping at someone who is missing a green or going around a roundabout the wrong way or whatever

Beeping at a stalling L: rudeness
    beeping because they thought you were daydreaming: understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭S Barrett

I always give L drivers a chance. Remember, we were in that position ourselves. The best way to respond to fools like that is to just nod your head in disappointment. That really drives them mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

from 55 seconds in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Well seeing as people don't seem to realise that driving with L plates if you are not a learner driver is illegal it is impossible to tell if they are a learner driver or not (seeing as the vast majority of drivers on our roads can't drive) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kingtut wrote: »
    Well seeing as people don't seem to realise that driving with L plates if you are not a learner driver is illegal

Fairly certain it isn't

Advertisement