Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U21 Football 2015

• 18-04-2015 5:12pm

Absolutely woeful by Dublin went from 5 up to 2 down with basically only a point or two this half.

All started by needless indiscipline, Tipp get a free out by the sideline and they decide to let the ref move it in by blocking... Free pointed, kick out too short, another point and game back on.

Think whoever wins the next game wins it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thought Tipp showed great heart and got some fine scores in the second half,fair play to them on reaching the final.

Deserved in the end but I think that free being brought in was a turning point as it wasn't scoreable and lead to two points in a minute.

I've no time for needless indiscipline like that, it was going to be kicked to a 50/50 and they just had to keep in the way to give the ref an easy decision.

Mind blowing stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I think you should change the title to something like "Under 21 football 2015- Dublin v Tipperary semi-final". The way you have titled it, one would think it was aboput the entire U-21 c'ship.

I think you should change the title to something like "Under 21 football 2015- Dublin v Tipperary semi-final". The way you have titled it, one would think it was aboput the entire U-21 c'ship.

There was a second semi final following that game and a final to come so why would I do that?.

There wasn't an U21 thread and I didn't feel like posting to the Dub/Tipp threads.

Anyway... Disgraceful swing by the Roscommon CB there, took offence to being pressured aggressively so swung an elbow around.
    Fell to the ground then holding his face to mask it and make it look like they were equal victims.

My god he's an embarrassment, same lad just took a dive holding his face before jumping back up within a second and having a go at a Tyrone player.
    Should consider himself lucky to be out there but he seems to want to draw further attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Ouch for no.9 there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Filthy from the Tyrone midfielder there. Knew what he was at. If the referee could see replays he might have got Red.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Filthy from the Tyrone midfielder there. Knew what he was at. If the referee could see replays he might have got Red.

Yea it's an unusual one.

It's not far from being an elbow.

A yellow doesn't do justice for the dig received.

That would be a good example of something maybe a sin bin would be useful for... Scrap the black card and use that too for those that fall along the same lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Tyrone getting away with a lot out there

Yea it's an unusual one.

It's not far from being an elbow.

A yellow doesn't do justice for the dig received.

That would be a good example of something maybe a sin bin would be useful for... Scrap the black card and use that too for those that fall along the same lines.

Yeah, when a guy swings an elbow at a vulnerable guy in the air, which splits a guys nose open gets the same punishment as a Jersey pull it's bizarre.

Just saw the other incident with elbows. Disgraceful from the Roscommon player. The tackling from the Tyrone player was hard and borderline illegal, but you elbow a guy it should be a red card. The dive is embarrassing and saves his bacon I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Well done to Tipp. Great win and by far the better team. All the best in the final

Another punch there from Tyrone number 7 on Murtagh. Murtagh goes down looking to get the red card.

Diving and striking aplenty.

Another punch there from Tyrone number 7 on Murtagh. Murtagh goes down looking to get the red card.

Diving and striking aplenty.

Good shots of it all... He certainly brought it on himself. I actually found it a bit awkward how he initiated the touching initially.
    I had to rewind to see the blow, was a closed fist with about 6 inches of forward momentum.

Certainly should have been at least one red here... I think the two for Tyrone even out the Roscommon one as that had more force and his dive saved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭threeball

Gael85 wrote: »
    Tyrone getting away with a lot out there

Extremely cynical for an u21 team. Constantly blocking the quick free, dragging down and nasty fouls are overshadowing their footballing ability.

threeball wrote: »
    Extremely cynical for an u21 team. Constantly blocking the quick free, dragging down and nasty fouls are overshadowing their footballing ability.

They were the most cynical and dirty Minor team a few years ago. I'll never forget their Quarter Final against Kerry in 2013. They had 2 sent off and should have had more and managed to scrape a draw and won in extra time. Its ugly football, but it's effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I hope to god that Tipp win in the final. Whatever that second game was it wasn't football. Unbelievably cynical from Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

2 underdogs win the semi-final and on the day it was the two better sides. Tipperary making huge strides and unlike their minor win over Dublin in 2011 this was fully deserved. Showed great character to finish strongly after Dublin had levelled it.

Roscommon will probably feel they didn't do themselves justice today but Tyrone are far more used to playing in those claustrophobic games and deserved their win. The officials were very poor in general though and didn't help the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Tyone only care for the result.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Tyone only care for the result.

Symptomatic of the entire counties approach to football since their senior team came to prominence in the early 2000s. They've brought playing on the edge to a whole new level and largely over the edge without repercussions. From puke football, to canavans drag down to the filth on display today its time to finally enforce the rules on this sh1t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Symptomatic of the entire counties approach to football since their senior team came to prominence in the early 2000s. They've brought playing on the edge to a whole new level and largely over the edge without repercussions. From puke football, to canavans drag down to the filth on display today its time to finally enforce the rules on this sh1t.

Yes, we can't have a the better team winning a match, that won't do at all. It was an open game of football, I think Tyrone wanted it more...they were written off by everyone. I felt Roscommon were just waiting for something to happen, and it never did. And Canavan's drag down?? Do you mean Sean Cavanagh? Are you seriously confusing Peter Canavan with Sean Cavanagh? Muppet.

• Advertisement

Yes, we can't have a the better team winning a match, that won't do at all. It was an open game of football, I think Tyrone wanted it more...they were written off by everyone. I felt Roscommon were just waiting for something to happen, and it never did. And Canavan's drag down?? Do you mean Sean Cavanagh? Are you seriously confusing Peter Canavan with Sean Cavanagh? Muppet.

No problem with the better team winning the match which tyrone were and I already alluded to that but I do have a problem with the cynical way they achieve it. Either way if you get so butt hurt over a simple name error (it was obvious what I meant) that you have to resort to name calling then it says more about your level of debate than mine. How dare anyone have an opinion contrary to yourself. And yes Tyrone teams have been and still are by all accounts cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Hershall

Was at the game in sligo Tyrone had the homework done on roscommon closed out their big name players and gave ros a lesson on how to close out a game also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Paddico

Anyone know where the Final will be played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

They were the most cynical and dirty Minor team a few years ago. I'll never forget their Quarter Final against Kerry in 2013. They had 2 sent off and should have had more and managed to scrape a draw and won in extra time. Its ugly football, but it's effective.

That's a game that will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons. It was really sad to see a minor team play the game that way -felt sorry for the Kerry lads that day as they got absolutely no protection from the officials and they were trying to play the game the right way.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    That's a game that will live long in the memory for all the wrong reasons. It was really sad to see a minor team play the game that way -felt sorry for the Kerry lads that day as they got absolutely no protection from the officials and they were trying to play the game the right way.

World's smallest violin playing for Kerry footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Forgotten password 99

Paddico wrote: »
    Anyone know where the Final will be played?

Pairc tailteann,Navan.

Very impressive stuff from our u21s so far. Their spirit never flinches it would seem,

We are missing alot of the team who would have been minor 3 year ago and many of those would have won the all ireland minor in 2011.

This is the team who played the minor munster final v Kerry in 2012

E Comerford; T O’Donoghue, J Feehan, L Egan; K Fahey, D Fitzelle, B Maher; S O’Brien, P Quirke; J Lonergan, J McGrath, G Henry; J Shelly, I Fahey, C Kennedy.
    Subs: D Cass for T O’Donoghue (36); J Maher for G Henry (52); T Kirwan for J McGrath (56); TJ Ryan for J Shelly (58).

I think Colin O'Riordan may have missed this game due to injury iirc.

Colman Kennedy of the famous goal in 2011, Greg Henry, Dylan Fitzelle, Philip Quirke, John Mcgrath, Tom Kirwan are all unavailable at present due to injury or other commitments. TJ Ryan has been unable to make the same impression he did as a minor too so doesnt really start too much these times. He particularly stood out against Meath in 2011 in that quarter final in Portlaoise. Jack Shelly has more or less committed to hurling, Dylan Fitzelle seems to have disappeared from the GAA landscape which is an awful waste of talent although his club have become some what of a wasteland considering they were SHC contenders in the 90s and even appeared in an All ireland club final one time. Colman and Greg Henry who were previously playing u19 for Cork City are now studying in the USA for the year. Philip Quirke who is probably my favourite player to watch of the whole lot has been dogged with injury as has the highly determined Tom Kirwan (from Brendan Cummins club down in Ballybacon/Ardfinnan) who done the cruciate this year.

I havent seen Tyrone too much to make a fair judgement on them but if they are as robust as people suggest then i think we may find it very very difficult. We may come up short on this occasion in such a case although these lads never cease to amaze me such is the spirit they have

World's smallest violin playing for Kerry footballers.

To quote the manic street preachers, "if you tolerate this, then your children will be next"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

First time in GAA history two teams beginning with 'T' meet in an AI final?

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    First time in GAA history two teams beginning with 'T' meet in an AI final?

Absolutely. Well we dont get to many football finals until recent times that is and Tyrone dont get to many hurling finals with the greatest of respect to them. Plus the fact both of us are the only counties who begin with 'T' so yes its a rarity. Incidentally are there other examples of counties who begin with the same letter that appeared in finals? In english that is. Kerry and Kilkenny for example both begin with 'C' as Gaeilge.

Clare v Cork in the all ireland hurling final in 2013 spring to mind. The same counties met in a football Munster final in 2012.

Terrific sportsmanship here which encompasses the spirit of the GAA. The UCD contingent of the Tipp and Dublin players stood shoulder to shoulder during a minutes silence in memory of Dave Billings who passed away in the last week

345798.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Pairc tailteann,Navan.

If playing it in one of the worst county grounds in the country is the best respect that the GAA can give it, then this competition should be binned to be honest.

As the picture above shows, the majority of these lads are playing college football anyway.

Jampip wrote: »
    If playing it in one of the worst county grounds in the country is the best respect that the GAA can give it, then this competition should be binned to be honest.

As the picture above shows, the majority of these lads are playing college football anyway.

The time of evening the throw in is at is absolutely ridiculous too to be quite honest for both counties. Whatever about 4 o'clock, 6 is silly given the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Buncha Fives

Very impressive stuff from our u21s so far. Their spirit never flinches it would seem,

We are missing alot of the team who would have been minor 3 year ago and many of those would have won the all ireland minor in 2011.

This is the team who played the minor munster final v Kerry in 2012

E Comerford; T O’Donoghue, J Feehan, L Egan; K Fahey, D Fitzelle, B Maher; S O’Brien, P Quirke; J Lonergan, J McGrath, G Henry; J Shelly, I Fahey, C Kennedy.
    Subs: D Cass for T O’Donoghue (36); J Maher for G Henry (52); T Kirwan for J McGrath (56); TJ Ryan for J Shelly (58).

I think Colin O'Riordan may have missed this game due to injury iirc.

Colman Kennedy of the famous goal in 2011, Greg Henry, Dylan Fitzelle, Philip Quirke, John Mcgrath, Tom Kirwan are all unavailable at present due to injury or other commitments. TJ Ryan has been unable to make the same impression he did as a minor too so doesnt really start too much these times. He particularly stood out against Meath in 2011 in that quarter final in Portlaoise. Jack Shelly has more or less committed to hurling, Dylan Fitzelle seems to have disappeared from the GAA landscape which is an awful waste of talent although his club have become some what of a wasteland considering they were SHC contenders in the 90s and even appeared in an All ireland club final one time. Colman and Greg Henry who were previously playing u19 for Cork City are now studying in the USA for the year. Philip Quirke who is probably my favourite player to watch of the whole lot has been dogged with injury as has the highly determined Tom Kirwan (from Brendan Cummins club down in Ballybacon/Ardfinnan) who done the cruciate this year.

I havent seen Tyrone too much to make a fair judgement on them but if they are as robust as people suggest then i think we may find it very very difficult. We may come up short on this occasion in such a case although these lads never cease to amaze me such is the spirit they have

Real pity that all those players aren't available, Colman Kennedy is a massive loss I was sure I seen his name on a team list for the seniors earlier in the league or maybe it was last year. Quirke was some player at minor level, his performance in the second half of the 2011 all-ireland was unreal. I had heard a while ago that Fitzelle wasn't playing football or hurling anymore, its amazing considering he holds all ireland medals at minor level in both sports and I am pretty sure he was actually on the U-21 football team two years ago!!

Was looking at the Tipp minor football team playing on in the first round of Munster championship on TG4 the other night, the opposition (Waterford) wasn't hectic but it looks like a serious strong team again so obviously Tipp are continuing the good work and they avoid Cork/Kerry until a Munster final which is a big help and should gaurntee them a minimum of an all-ireland quarter final. One player I did notice missing from the minor team though was Alan Tynan, I remember he scored eight points against Cork in the minor championship two years ago and he was still only an U-16 player at the time, he looked like a super talent...is he concentrating on the hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Real pity that all those players aren't available, Colman Kennedy is a massive loss I was sure I seen his name on a team list for the seniors earlier in the league or maybe it was last year. Quirke was some player at minor level, his performance in the second half of the 2011 all-ireland was unreal. I had heard a while ago that Fitzelle wasn't playing football or hurling anymore, its amazing considering he holds all ireland medals at minor level in both sports and I am pretty sure he was actually on the U-21 football team two years ago!!

Was looking at the Tipp minor football team playing on in the first round of Munster championship on TG4 the other night, the opposition (Waterford) wasn't hectic but it looks like a serious strong team again so obviously Tipp are continuing the good work and they avoid Cork/Kerry until a Munster final which is a big help and should gaurntee them a minimum of an all-ireland quarter final. One player I did notice missing from the minor team though was Alan Tynan, I remember he scored eight points against Cork in the minor championship two years ago and he was still only an U-16 player at the time, he looked like a super talent...is he concentrating on the hurling?

I heard he has recently rejoined the minor footballers aswell as being a part of the minor hurlers. It was well documented that he played outhalf for Roscrea who won the Leinster colleges recently also.

• Advertisement

Would many Neutrals come to this would you think?

I think we'll be out numbered 2:1 by Tyrone support, maybe more.

Gone very quite on here.

Where are those Tyrone lads for some banter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Kennedy as mentioned playing soccer, on a scholarship so unavailable to a large degree
    Alan Tynan has been centrally involved in rugby. He is in school in Cistercian Roscrea and won Leinster Schools Cup so would have been unavailable as concentrating on that
    Gone very quite on here.

Where are those Tyrone lads for some banter :D
    Its not that quiet:D
    Should get much more attention with final this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd go. Didn't get to the Dublin game was at most of the other games, but I saw it on TV and Tip were well worth the win.

I thought the ref was very strict all round, I'd say it will be a similar deal Saturday week.
    Good piece in the indo today.
    SFC champs by 2020 in Tip.

Better start watching them now so and it's only up the road.

Kennedy as mentioned playing soccer, on a scholarship so unavailable to a large degree
    Alan Tynan has been centrally involved in rugby. He is in school in Cistercian Roscrea and won Leinster Schools Cup so would have been unavailable as concentrating on that

Its not that quiet:D
    Should get much more attention with final this weekend.

I believe Colman and Greg Henry are both on college soccer apprentice ships in the US. Funnily, given their sporting ability, they were both on the books at Cork City FC but couldn't break into the seniors.
    Goes to show the soccer quality Cork City have at the moment.
    I've heard rumors that Fitzelle fell out with his club.

Other names from the minor team of 2012 are Lorcan Egan, Tom Kirwan and John Egan. No idea where these lads are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I believe Colman and Greg Henry are both on college soccer apprentice ships in the US. Funnily, given their sporting ability, they were both on the books at Cork City FC but couldn't break into the seniors.
    Goes to show the soccer quality Cork City have at the moment.
    I've heard rumors that Fitzelle fell out with his club.

Other names from the minor team of 2012 are Lorcan Egan, Tom Kirwan and John Egan. No idea where these lads are.
    Kirwan has been struggling with injuries I believe. Think it was mentioned somewhere both are gone to US..

I'm surprised Tipp aren't favourites for this. I would have thought the team that knocked Dublin out would be odds on to lift the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭zetecescort

looks a desperate day in Dublin. water splashing up when players are running in places

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Kick and a stamp on Cathal McShane there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Good game so far.Tyrone's finishing has been poor whereas Tipperary's forward line have been excellent taking most of the chances they get.

The surging runs from Tipp's big midfielder and centre forward has made a huge difference to them they look impossible to stop when they get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

aveytare wrote: »
    Kick and a stamp on Cathal McShane there

You just imagined you saw that, teams outside Ulster never do stuff like that. If a Tyrone player did that you can be sure the red card wouldn't be long coming out.

Looks like two people took heart attacks in the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Tyrone are really taking the piss with the amount of time they've taken at half time.

Ref should have thrown the ball in without them on the field.

Someone been treated by paramedics in stand,seemed to suffer a heart attack just on half time whistle,that's what's causing the delay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Someone been treated by paramedics in stand,seemed to suffer a heart attack just on half time whistle,that's what's causing the delay

Didn't know that.

You would think TG4 would announce something as serious as that in English for the majority of viewers who's Irish isn't very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Don't think I've ever seen that before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement