Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Rankings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

To me it's a nonsensical system. The result of one league game in March could possibly turn the rankings upside down and this is supposed to say something meaningful about the current strength of individual teams!

I have yet to hear an even slightly convincing argument as to why Galway should get 9 times as many ranking points as Kilkenny for a win on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Martin567 wrote: »
    To me it's a nonsensical system. The result of one league game in March could possibly turn the rankings upside down and this is supposed to say something meaningful about the current strength of individual teams!

I have yet to hear an even slightly convincing argument as to why Galway should get 9 times as many ranking points as Kilkenny for a win on Sunday.

I'll respond to your narrow approached example with a narrow approached example which will nonetheless explain it perfectly- lets say by some miracle Sligo defeat Kilkenny in the championship; by your logic a Kilkenny win over Sligo should be worth as much to Kilkenny as a Sligo win over Kilkenny would be worth to Sligo. And that would be truly nonsensical.

Put simply, a lower ranked team beating a higher ranked team is worth more than a higher ranked team beating a lower ranked team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

Martin you're getting too bent out of shape and negative about this. I'm sure the ranking system needs tweaking but he has to be careful not to tweak it and cause a worse anomaly. Wonder what price Galway(-8) is on sunday. Pretty big I'd say as its fairly unlikely to happen. Probably greater than a 10-1 shot. And if they did manage it they'd move marginally above KK and either continue with good results to stay there and justify it or slip back behind them quickly as this freak victory was found out for what it was. Ranking systems can be weird at times. Golf ranking can throw up some crazy stuff. Luke donald being #1 for a good while springs to mind. It's good that you're pointing out potential flaws but there's no need to be so dismissive of the thing

Hanalei wrote: »
    I'll respond to your narrow approached example with a narrow approached example which will nonetheless explain it perfectly- lets say by some miracle Sligo defeat Kilkenny in the championship; by your logic a Kilkenny win over Sligo should be worth as much to Kilkenny as a Sligo win over Kilkenny would be worth to Sligo. And that would be truly nonsensical.

Put simply, a lower ranked team beating a higher ranked team is worth more than a higher ranked team beating a lower ranked team.

First off, it's not my "narrow approached example". It's yours, from your earlier post. I just took the details from it and pointed out the flaws.

Secondly, Galway are not Sligo. They hammered Kilkenny in the Leinster Final in 2012 and almost won the All Ireland. They also defeated Kilkenny in the 2013 league and have won at Nowlan Park several times over the years. Are they really such a lower ranked team that they need to receive 9 times the reward for a win on Sunday than Kilkenny would get? If Galway win by 8 pts on Sunday, they will overtake Kilkenny in these rankings. Surely this is enough to highlight how farcical it is that a possibly temporary lower ranking is enough to give them such a massively inflated bonus for victory?

As for Sligo, if they ever meet Kilkenny it will be because they have made massive strides in the game. If that ever happens, it will be 15 v 15 and it makes no sense to give them a greater number of ranking points for victory in the same match.

As I've already explained in detail, all this system does is compress the ranking points of all the teams into a much narrower range. Given how volatile this system is and how it can all change on the result of one match, it makes no sense whatever to be compensating teams to a factor of 9 simply because they are supposedly lower ranked!

BobSloane wrote: »
    Martin you're getting too bent out of shape and negative about this. I'm sure the ranking system needs tweaking but he has to be careful not to tweak it and cause a worse anomaly. Wonder what price Galway(-8) is on sunday. Pretty big I'd say as its fairly unlikely to happen. Probably greater than a 10-1 shot. And if they did manage it they'd move marginally above KK and either continue with good results to stay there and justify it or slip back behind them quickly as this freak victory was found out for what it was. Ranking systems can be weird at times. Golf ranking can throw up some crazy stuff. Luke donald being #1 for a good while springs to mind. It's good that you're pointing out potential flaws but there's no need to be so dismissive of the thing

Golf rankings are excellent in my opinion. They are completely performance related and nobody gets compensated for being lower ranked. Whether Tiger Woods or Shane Lowry wins the Open, they get the same number of ranking points. More recent results are weighted higher than older ones.

There was no anomaly in Luke Donald being ranked No 1. He was the most consistent player in the world in 2011 and the rankings reflected that.

• Advertisement

There was no anomaly in Luke Donald being ranked No 1. He was the most consistent player in the world in 2011 and the rankings reflected that.

Although he was ranked number 1 I don't ever remember him going off in a major as favourite - which seems unusual if he was the best player in the world at the time. But I agree that I also like the golf rankings for the most part.

With regard to the hurling the lower ranked teams should definitely get more points for beating a higher ranked team. Maybe a 9x difference seems excessive but thats just a function of their current ranking points - plus the fact that kk are playing at home. If it was in galway the points difference would only be 2.07 instead of 8.07. Maybe this is an area that needs adjustment but have you anything helpful to contribute with regard to this adjustment? Calling the whole thing nonsensical because if galway win by >8 points in nowlan park they leapfrog kk seems a bit harsh to me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hanalei, you seem to have PMs turned off here. Some friends of mine run the site livegaelic.com (Fireball07 writes on there), they'd love for you to write an article or 2 about your ranking system. Would you be interested? Drop me a line at kevkehoe at gmail dot com and I can put you in touch

Although he was ranked number 1 I don't ever remember him going off in a major as favourite - which seems unusual if he was the best player in the world at the time. But I agree that I also like the golf rankings for the most part.

With regard to the hurling the lower ranked teams should definitely get more points for beating a higher ranked team. Maybe a 9x difference seems excessive but thats just a function of their current ranking points - plus the fact that kk are playing at home. If it was in galway the points difference would only be 2.07 instead of 8.07. Maybe this is an area that needs adjustment but have you anything helpful to contribute with regard to this adjustment? Calling the whole thing nonsensical because if galway win by >8 points in nowlan park they leapfrog kk seems a bit harsh to me

I don't mean to sound harsh but I fundamentally disagree with any compensation being given to a supposedly lower ranked team. This goes against everything that sport is supposed to represent. Every team has only 15 players. The NHL D1 for the last two years has been incredibly open with every team capable of beating every other team. This being the case, any ranking system should award exactly the same points to every team for a victory.

If one or more teams are higher ranked than others, they will have gained their higher rankings through performances on the field. It is up to the others to raise their performances to match that and they shouldn't be patronised by making up some compensation. In the example given,at best the likely outcome would be about 60:40 in favour of a Kilkenny win and probably closer than that. Galway are no minnow facing into a lions den. It makes no sense whatever that they would receive 9 times the ranking points reward for even a one point win that Kilkenny would for the same victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hanalei, you seem to have PMs turned off here. Some friends of mine run the site livegaelic.com (Fireball07 writes on there), they'd love for you to write an article or 2 about your ranking system. Would you be interested? Drop me a line at kevkehoe at gmail dot com and I can put you in touch

I was also going to strongly encourage you to do this.... I think it would be really interesting to see something like this updated over a few weeks, just to see how it progresses.

After putting all the work into getting it to this stage, it would almost be a shame not to make full use of it!

I don't mean to sound harsh but I fundamentally disagree with any compensation being given to a supposedly lower ranked team. This goes against everything that sport is supposed to represent. Every team has only 15 players. The NHL D1 for the last two years has been incredibly open with every team capable of beating every other team. This being the case, any ranking system should award exactly the same points to every team for a victory.

If one or more teams are higher ranked than others, they will have gained their higher rankings through performances on the field. It is up to the others to raise their performances to match that and they shouldn't be patronised by making up some compensation. In the example given,at best the likely outcome would be about 60:40 in favour of a Kilkenny win and probably closer than that. Galway are no minnow facing into a lions den. It makes no sense whatever that they would receive 9 times the ranking points reward for even a one point win that Kilkenny would for the same victory.

There are no prizes or trophys for being top of the ranking table. What you are suggesting sounds more like a longterm league. The ranking system hanalei has drawn up is more akin to how chess rankings work. Take the example of Clare. They are currently AI champions and are one of the best teams in the country. I think they went 4 or 5 years without winning a match in munster and spent a lot of their time in division 2. Yet according to hanalei's ranking system they are no 2 in the country. If a system like you are suggesting was used I feel they would rank a lot lower - maybe i'm wrong. This might seem fairer to you put would not accurately reflect their real current standing. This would be a much worse anomaly imo than the what if galway win by more than 8 points in nowlan park on sunday anomaly. Kilkenny could remain no 1 for years based on what the 4 in a row team did because of the points they would have accumulated in that time - even if they were obviously not the actual best team in the country any more.

btw KK are 1/7 and galway 5/1 with PP on sunday. If you really think galway are about 40% to win I suggest you lump on them at this outrageous price

• Advertisement

Bob, I agree with you on several points. Clare won the 2013 All Ireland and so should be ranked close to, if not the very, top. Anything Kilkenny did three, four or 5 years ago has very little relevance to how teams should be ranked in 2014.

There are only a very small number of hurling teams who even play in the senior championship every year. Surely ranking these in a logical and fair manner does not have to be so complicated. The world golf rankings were mentioned above. It too has its critics but it still manages to rank hundreds of players in a manner that is scrupulously fair and logical and doesn't have to resort to artificially handing out different numbers of ranking points to different players depending on where they happened to be ranked at the time.

Applying this system to hurling would be very simple. Have a constantly running two year ranking. I think two years is ideal, not too long and not too short. As we are now two weeks into the 2014 league, the first two weeks of the 2012 league would be eliminated. To reflect reality, championship would have a much higher weighting than the league. Also, 2013 results would have at least a 50% higher weighting than those for 2012.

The above would ensure that Clare are appropriately ranked and that Kilkenny would not remain on top indefinitely based on past victories. It is not perfect as some things are still arbitrary (2 years, weightings, etc). But it is simple and logical. Most importantly of all, it is fair as every team would pick up the same number of points for a win or a draw. That is the fundamental flaw with the other system. Giving teams inflated bonuses for being the lower ranked team which can then enable them to become the higher ranked team is unfortunately a flaw which invalidates the entire thing.

As for the match on Sunday, 5/1 for Galway is an outrageous price. I've seen enough Kilkenny/Galway games over the years to know that Kilkenny seldom win easily. Off the top of my head, I would say that Galway have won at least one out of every three games between the sides at Nowlan Park over the last 15-20 years and they certainly have that good a chance if not more so on Sunday. They are a very strange team whose form fluctuates wildly from game to game but I would never write them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Bob, I agree with you on several points. Clare won the 2013 All Ireland and so should be ranked close to, if not the very, top. Anything Kilkenny did three, four or 5 years ago has very little relevance to how teams should be ranked in 2014.

There are only a very small number of hurling teams who even play in the senior championship every year. Surely ranking these in a logical and fair manner does not have to be so complicated. The world golf rankings were mentioned above. It too has its critics but it still manages to rank hundreds of players in a manner that is scrupulously fair and logical and doesn't have to resort to artificially handing out different numbers of ranking points to different players depending on where they happened to be ranked at the time.

Applying this system to hurling would be very simple. Have a constantly running two year ranking. I think two years is ideal, not too long and not too short. As we are now two weeks into the 2014 league, the first two weeks of the 2012 league would be eliminated. To reflect reality, championship would have a much higher weighting than the league. Also, 2013 results would have at least a 50% higher weighting than those for 2012.

The above would ensure that Clare are appropriately ranked and that Kilkenny would not remain on top indefinitely based on past victories. It is not perfect as some things are still arbitrary (2 years, weightings, etc). But it is simple and logical. Most importantly of all, it is fair as every team would pick up the same number of points for a win or a draw. That is the fundamental flaw with the other system. Giving teams inflated bonuses for being the lower ranked team which can then enable them to become the higher ranked team is unfortunately a flaw which invalidates the entire thing.

As for the match on Sunday, 5/1 for Galway is an outrageous price. I've seen enough Kilkenny/Galway games over the years to know that Kilkenny seldom win easily. Off the top of my head, I would say that Galway have won at least one out of every three games between the sides at Nowlan Park over the last 15-20 years and they certainly have that good a chance if not more so on Sunday. They are a very strange team whose form fluctuates wildly from game to game but I would never write them off.

This does not make sense.

The points available for a win to bring you up the golf rankings depend on the quality of the field that you beat - that is the same principle used in rugby but applied to an individual sport.

You don't get the same points for winning the Mayo Open as for winning the U.S Open.

One out of three in Nowlan Park?

Godge wrote: »
    This does not make sense.

The points available for a win to bring you up the golf rankings depend on the quality of the field that you beat - that is the same principle used in rugby but applied to an individual sport.

You don't get the same points for winning the Mayo Open as for winning the U.S Open.

One out of three in Nowlan Park?

My post doesn't make sense!!!!

Pot, kettle, black. I'm scratching my head here!

My post doesn't make sense!!!!

Pot, kettle, black. I'm scratching my head here!

Well I will explain it again.

The points available for a win in rugby depend on the quality of the opposing team.
    The point available for a win in golf depend on the quality of the opposing players. Have a look at this to see how the event rating is calculated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_World_Golf_Ranking

In essence, the principle is the same as that used in the hurling rankings which is why I am so confused by your post.

The other point that intrigues me is Galway's success over the last 20 years in Nowlan Park, I hadn't realised it was so good. How many matches have been played there between the two teams?

Godge wrote: »
    Well I will explain it again.

The points available for a win in rugby depend on the quality of the opposing team.
    The point available for a win in golf depend on the quality of the opposing players. Have a look at this to see how the event rating is calculated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_World_Golf_Ranking

In essence, the principle is the same as that used in the hurling rankings which is why I am so confused by your post.

The other point that intrigues me is Galway's success over the last 20 years in Nowlan Park, I hadn't realised it was so good. How many matches have been played there between the two teams?

Thanks for the link but I'm very familiar with how the golf ranking system works. Unfortunately you're confusing it and misrepresenting what I'm saying.

You said above that a player will not receive the same points for winning the "Mayo Open" as he will for winning the US Open. In the same way, a hurling team would not get the same points for winning a Div 4 game as a Div 1 game. I didn't explicitly state that earlier but I didn't think I needed to.

In golf, the ranking points available for a particular event will be dependent on the strength of the field. Once the field is set, x points will go to the winner. It doesn't matter where the winner was ranked before the start, he will get the same total of x points. If golf applied the system you are suggesting, the 10th ranked player would get a greater number of points for winning than the 1st ranked player as a victory for him would represent a greater achievement. This does not happen.

If hurling were to adopt an exactly similar system to golf, each individual match would have a set number of ranking points applied to it based on the average rankings of the two competing teams. Whichever team won would then get that set number of points. The main problem I see with that scenario is that the top teams would, on average, always be playing for greater points in every match simply because they are the top teams. A sort of self-fulfilling situation. But it is still a valid option. If Tiger Woods plays in a golf tournament, the ranking points applied will be greater. Those increased points will then be available to Tiger just like any other player.

The NHL results over the last two years have shown that every team is capable of beating every other team with only very small margins separating them. Each team plays every other team so they've played the same matches at the end. It is utterly wrong to try to pretend that there is some big gap there and a Kilkenny/Galway analogy with the US Open/"Mayo Open" is very misleading. The proposed system here is giving an 800% bonus to Galway for winning what is likely to be a very close match! If Galway are really so inferior that they deserve such a bonus, how can it possibly make sense that they then use that huge bonus to become the higher ranked team?

20 years was just an arbitrary time frame. I presume there have been 10 games between the sides in Nowlan Park in that time. Galway won there in 2010 and also in either 2004 or 2006. It wouldn't surprise me if their success rate was better than 33%. They have also won the last two home league game between the sides. In the last five games between the sides in league and championship over the last two years, there have been two wins each and one draw.

In response to anyone who believes what I have done is "nonsense", all I'll say to you is go away and create your own system and I'll tell you what I feel about your system. Very easy to criticise, but believe you me it's not so easy to create and impliment a system of your own.

Even this isn't my own, all I have done is implemented a system the IRB have used for years.

As for being extremely pedantic on the Kilkenny v Galway example, and this talk of Galway receiving 800% extra points; it's so easy to produce statistics to suit one's own agenda, bare statistics mean nothing.

Focusing on that example is ridiculous. Why? Because to focus on the impact of just one game on the rankings is entirely missing the point. The rankings are designed to reflect a teams overall consistency, focusing on individual games misses the point.

I've run it on 9 years of results, and overall it has been fairly close at all stages, I've seen how the rankings have evolved after each championship and league season and it has always given a reasonably accurate reflection on where teams stand.

Final words I'll say on the Kilkenny v Galway game this weekend.

First of all, I think we'd all agree that Kilkenny are around the 1st/2nd best team, and that Galway are somewhere between 4th/7th.

Secondly, we'd all agree that Kilkenny are favourites ahead of this game, particularly given that they have home advantage.

Now lets look at the 5 possible outcomes based on my ranking system.

• Kilkenny win 8+
    • Kilkenny win 1-7
    • draw
    • Galway win 1-7
    • Galway win 8+
    Now lets look at the points exchange in those 5 cases, ranked in order of points exchange;

1. KK 1-7 (0.19 points exchanged from GY to KK)
    2. KK 8+ (0.29 points exchanged from GY to KK)
    3. draw (0.81 points exchanged from KK to GY)
    4. GY 1-7 (1.81 points exchanged from KK to GY)
    5. GY 8+ (2.71 points exchanged from KK to GY)
    Now think of the points as almost a rating of how likely an event is to happen, the more likely an outcome the smaller the points exchange.

Galway are not expected to win this game. And the points on offer reflect this. The points on offer should not be the same for the same reason bookies give different odds on different outcomes. Whether one likes it or not, the likelyhood of an event occurring IS significant.

This system is what it is, I never claimed it was perfect but calling it nonsense is a bit of a slap in the face and if you feel that strongly about it then by own means, create your own and come back here with the results.

Anyway, I've enjoyed a lot of the more constructive criticisms and debate in this thread. Lets see how it develops over the league campaign before making any final judgements!

KevIRL wrote: »

Hi KevIRL, I'd be glad to but I'm going to be quite busy for the next 5/6 weeks with work and college, I'd be happy to contribute then if they don't mind waiting and are still interested at that stage!

Hanalei,

I don't in any way think what you have done is nonsense and I apologise if it seemed like that in any way. That was never my intention. It's obvious that you put an awful lot of work into it and your enthusiasm is obvious.

However, my criticism was entirely constructive. One read of your detailed example from the beginning of the thread and the problem with the system as it currently operates was very obvious. As I said earlier, the overall is only an amalgamation of the individual. If there is a problem with the individual, there will be a problem with the overall.

I've already elaborated further where other people misunderstood the point I was making in earlier posts. My point has been consistent all the way through. To take the golf analogy;If Tiger Woods is battling with the 100th ranked player in the world down the final few holes of a Major, most people will agree that Tiger is the more likely winner. Bookies odds will confirm this, pretty emphatically I would guess. But the winner will get 100 ranking points irrespective of which of them it is. That is logical and fair. Anything else would simply be wrong.

Constructive criticism is just that, constructive. It's not personal! I shouldn't have said it was a nonsensical system. I was probably a bit frustrated with other people misunderstanding the fundamental point I was making.

I never said it was easy to create a perfect system. I'm sure it's not. But telling me to go off and make a better one is not the point. That's like saying somebody should not be entitled to have an opinion on how good a new film is unless they're capable of producing a better one themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

@Martin567
    I think you've made your feelings pretty clear at this stage....

There are only a very small number of hurling teams who even play in the senior championship every year. Surely ranking these in a logical and fair manner does not have to be so complicated....

..... Have a constantly running two year ranking. I think two years is ideal, not too long and not too short. As we are now two weeks into the 2014 league, the first two weeks of the 2012 league would be eliminated. To reflect reality, championship would have a much higher weighting than the league. Also, 2013 results would have at least a 50% higher weighting than those for 2012.

The NHL results over the last two years have shown that every team is capable of beating every other team with only very small margins separating them. Each team plays every other team so they've played the same matches at the end.

Hey, this will probably be my last post on this as I've little to add that I haven't said already. I think you have made a good contribution to this thread fwiw. I probably won't be able to convince you that a lower ranked team should get more points for beating a higher ranked team even though I think for this to work effectively that would have to be the case, so I'll try:). This seems to be the biggest stumbling block for you. I'm sure hanelei would agree that going back to 2005 for ranking purposes is a bit pointless in 2014 but he did say he just started there because thats where his concrete data started.

Now you want the teams to get the exact same reward for beating each other - and cite the league as good reason for this. In div 1 all the teams seem capable of beating each other and play an equal number of games. This is almost true but not quite as some will play knockout stages and some will play a relegation play off. But I wouldn't get too bogged down about this extra game or two. The real problem is the championship.

Most posters in this thread, yourself included feel that the championship games should have a stronger weighting. But unlike the league the teams can have very different roads to travel. I'll take two teams from last year. Limerick and Clare. Limerick could have won the all ireland by playing four matches, two of them were played at home. And if they made the final they would have played the same team they played earlier. Thats 4 games, 2 at home, against a total of 3 teams.

Now lets look at Clare who they met in the semi final. They beat Waterford, lost to Cork, then beat Laois, Wexford and Galway before beating Limerick in the semi and then cork in the final. That 7 games(really 8 as the final was replayed), none at home(some counties just wont get to play home championship games) against 6 different teams.

This is nowhere near the easily comparable league games where everyone plays each other with an equal number of home and away games. And don't forget everyone wants the championship games to be given a stronger weighting.

Think again of Limerick last year. Going into the Tipp game Lim were probably ranked 6-8 Tipp probably 2-3. Limerick need extra acknowlegment because if there is just a flat score even after winning munster + ai semi and final they will probably still only be ranked around 4th or 5th - and yet be unbeaten all ireland champions. Tipp could win 2 qualifers and go out in the quarter final and end the year almost as far ahead of Limerick as they started - despite losing to them(and someone else) and Limerick getting to the final or even winning it! Now that would be an anomaly!

One more thing is the number of years to be used in the ranking system. You suggest two but I think three would be better- for no particular reason tbh. Well probably down to data points. Maybe with a weighting of 50% for last year, 30% for two years ago, 20% for three years ago or something like that.

tldr; give the lower ranked teams more ranking points when they beat a higher ranked team imo

• Advertisement

A very well-articulated post that sums up most of the points, I think. I agree with it wholeheartedly.

Hey, this will probably be my last post on this as I've little to add that I haven't said already. I think you have made a good contribution to this thread fwiw. I probably won't be able to convince you that a lower ranked team should get more points for beating a higher ranked team even though I think for this to work effectively that would have to be the case, so I'll try:). This seems to be the biggest stumbling block for you. I'm sure hanelei would agree that going back to 2005 for ranking purposes is a bit pointless in 2014 but he did say he just started there because thats where his concrete data started.

Now you want the teams to get the exact same reward for beating each other - and cite the league as good reason for this. In div 1 all the teams seem capable of beating each other and play an equal number of games. This is almost true but not quite as some will play knockout stages and some will play a relegation play off. But I wouldn't get too bogged down about this extra game or two. The real problem is the championship.

Most posters in this thread, yourself included feel that the championship games should have a stronger weighting. But unlike the league the teams can have very different roads to travel. I'll take two teams from last year. Limerick and Clare. Limerick could have won the all ireland by playing four matches, two of them were played at home. And if they made the final they would have played the same team they played earlier. Thats 4 games, 2 at home, against a total of 3 teams.

Now lets look at Clare who they met in the semi final. They beat Waterford, lost to Cork, then beat Laois, Wexford and Galway before beating Limerick in the semi and then cork in the final. That 7 games(really 8 as the final was replayed), none at home(some counties just wont get to play home championship games) against 6 different teams.

This is nowhere near the easily comparable league games where everyone plays each other with an equal number of home and away games. And don't forget everyone wants the championship games to be given a stronger weighting.

Think again of Limerick last year. Going into the Tipp game Lim were probably ranked 6-8 Tipp probably 2-3. Limerick need extra acknowlegment because if there is just a flat score even after winning munster + ai semi and final they will probably still only be ranked around 4th or 5th - and yet be unbeaten all ireland champions. Tipp could win 2 qualifers and go out in the quarter final and end the year almost as far ahead of Limerick as they started - despite losing to them(and someone else) and Limerick getting to the final or even winning it! Now that would be an anomaly!

One more thing is the number of years to be used in the ranking system. You suggest two but I think three would be better- for no particular reason tbh. Well probably down to data points. Maybe with a weighting of 50% for last year, 30% for two years ago, 20% for three years ago or something like that.

tldr; give the lower ranked teams more ranking points when they beat a higher ranked team imo

Lots of excellent points there and I would agree with almost all of them. In particular, the differing routes that teams can take through the championship certainly does complicate things. My own preference would be to have a greater weight attached to the All Ireland Final than the semi finals, for the semis than the quarters, etc, all the way down. Nevertheless, it would take a lot of tweaking and it would be hard to arrive at a system that would satisfy everyone.

My particular difficulty with the one proposed here originally is that a truly robust system, designed to give an accurate picture at any one point, should not have the potential to be affected so drastically by a relatively insignificant league game in March.

Expanding it out, I believe that the stronger teams will not get the appropriate credit for their performances under this system. If a team wins 7 or 8 matches in succession against the teams immediately below them by 10 points or more, the ranking points they gain will be almost entirely wiped out by a single 1 point defeat. This will bring them back far closer in the rankings to every team and not just the team they have lost against. The reduced points available to the top team(s) for winning (and increased penalty for losing) would indicate to me that they are being measured against their own previous excellence rather than against the standard of the other teams. This is similar to the golf handicap system whereby the winner of the weekend competition is not the person with the best score but rather the person with the best score relative to their own previously established standard. While this may be appropriate in the context of a fun competition, nobody should think that the competition result says anything about the actual standards of the players involved.

So while I can see that the shorter/easier routes some teams might get in the championship should be factored in somehow, care would still be needed.

I think this has been a very interesting discussion. Most people will probably be glad that I can't think of anything else to add!;)

Lots of excellent points there and I would agree with almost all of them. In particular, the differing routes that teams can take through the championship certainly does complicate things. My own preference would be to have a greater weight attached to the All Ireland Final than the semi finals, for the semis than the quarters, etc, all the way down. Nevertheless, it would take a lot of tweaking and it would be hard to arrive at a system that would satisfy everyone.

My particular difficulty with the one proposed here originally is that a truly robust system, designed to give an accurate picture at any one point, should not have the potential to be affected so drastically by a relatively insignificant league game in March.

Expanding it out, I believe that the stronger teams will not get the appropriate credit for their performances under this system. If a team wins 7 or 8 matches in succession against the teams immediately below them by 10 points or more, the ranking points they gain will be almost entirely wiped out by a single 1 point defeat. This will bring them back far closer in the rankings to every team and not just the team they have lost against. The reduced points available to the top team(s) for winning would indicate to me that they are being measured against their own previous excellence rather than against the standard of the other teams. This is similar to the golf handicap system whereby the winner of the weekend competition is not the person with the best score but rather the person with the best score relative to their own previously established standard. While this may be appropriate in the context of a fun competition, nobody should think that the competition result says anything about the actual standards of the players involved.

So while I can see that the shorter/easier routes some teams might get in the championship should be factored in somehow, care would still be needed.

I think this has been a very interesting discussion. Most people will probably be glad that I can't think of anything else to add!;)

The real question is whether the rankings at significant times of the year accurately reflect the general consensus. we will have to wait and see

Expanding it out, I believe that the stronger teams will not get the appropriate credit for their performances under this system. If a team wins 7 or 8 matches in succession against the teams immediately below them by 10 points or more, the ranking points they gain will be almost entirely wiped out by a single 1 point defeat. This will bring them back far closer in the rankings to every team and not just the team they have lost against. The reduced points available to the top team(s) for winning would indicate to me that they are being measured against their own previous excellence rather than against the standard of the other teams. This is similar to the golf handicap system whereby the winner of the weekend competition is not the person with the best score but rather the person with the best score relative to their own previously established standard. While this may be appropriate in the context of a fun competition, nobody should think that the competition result says anything about the actual standards of the players involved.

It has been an interesting discussion, with points well-argued from all quarters.

I do see where you are coming from, and I don't think anyone is claiming that this system is perfect. A bit of tweaking could make it an even more accurate reflection of where teams are at.

But, at the same time, it's not like the rankings have any real bearing- people always have opinions at where different teams stand at different times, this is just an opibion formed from statistics. But I do think that this system gives a more accurate reflection than most.

I just can't help but thinking that a system that doesn't weight weaker teams performance would give an inaccurate ranking for a team that shows a serious sign of improvement in a short space of time... perhaps like Galway in 2012 or Dublin last year. They would have been hindered by previous poor form, and would sit below where they truly lie.

Fireball07 wrote: »

I just can't help but thinking that a system that doesn't weight weaker teams performance would give an inaccurate ranking for a team that shows a serious sign of improvement in a short space of time... perhaps like Galway in 2012 or Dublin last year. They would have been hindered by previous poor form, and would sit below where they truly lie.

My preference would be for a running two year ranking system with the greatest weight being given to the most recent championship. Under such a system, Galway in 2012 and both Dublin & Clare would get due credit in the rankings for their performances fairly quickly.

My preference would be for a running two year ranking system with the greatest weight being given to the most recent championship. Under such a system, Galway in 2012 and both Dublin & Clare would get due credit in the rankings for their performances fairly quickly.

If you ever get time, I would be interested in seeing how your ranking system would work out, in comparison to Hanalei's.

I'd definitely accept that as a valid potential weakness of the system I used, however the flip side to that is consistent actual improvement is the only way to make gains in this system.

Dublin are a good example, they started to emerge as a strong team around 2008/09, and had a good championship run in 2009. However they didn't break into the top 6 until 2011 when they won the league and a solid championship moved them to 4th.

In 2009/10 I think they reached no higher than 8th, and I'd imagine that there are plenty who would have argued that they were at least a top 6 team in that period

General unrelated point: One reason I felt this would be a good system to use on hurling is that there is a strong similarity between hurling counties and rugby countries in terms of there being a core top 9 or so teams followed by a second tier of another 10 or so teams and a third tier below. Kilkenny are effectively the New Zealand equivalent, Tipperary are the South Africa, Cork are the Australia, Waterford are like Ireland and so on :p

If you ever get time, I would be interested in seeing how your ranking system would work out, in comparison to Hanalei's.

Thanks but it's unlikely I ever will. I do genuinely want to apologise again to Hanelei for derailing this thread somewhat. I understand that a lot of detailed work went into it and I would probably have been equally offended if someone came in and questioned the whole basis of that work.

With all the detail presumably on a spreadsheet, a bit of tweaking in a few places might not take too long. In particular, I would look at the double whammy of deducting points from the loser of a game. The better a team has been, the more they have to lose in any one game, which seems unfair.

Thanks but it's unlikely I ever will. I do genuinely want to apologise again to Hanelei for derailing this thread somewhat. I understand that a lot of detailed work went into it and I would probably have been equally offended if someone came in and questioned the whole basis of that work.

With all the detail presumably on a spreadsheet, a bit of tweaking in a few places might not take too long. In particular, I would look at the double whammy of deducting points from the loser of a game. The better a team has been, the more they have to lose in any one game, which seems unfair.
    Stop it, no need to be apologising :P, I got a bit bent out of shape over the use of the word "nonsense" but you can't be blamed for my sensitivities, I know you didn't mean any offense.

And I'll just echo Fireball07's statement that I too would be very interested in seeing your proposed system, hopefully you might find the time. I'd suggest maybe just trialling it on McCarthy Cup counties only to start with.

• Advertisement

In particular, I would look at the double whammy of deducting points from the loser of a game. The better a team has been, the more they have to lose in any one game, which seems unfair.

Yeah for sure that looks a bit dodgy
    Expanding it out, I believe that the stronger teams will not get the appropriate credit for their performances under this system. If a team wins 7 or 8 matches in succession against the teams immediately below them by 10 points or more, the ranking points they gain will be almost entirely wiped out by a single 1 point defeat. This will bring them back far closer in the rankings to every team and not just the team they have lost against. The reduced points available to the top team(s) for winning (and increased penalty for losing) would indicate to me that they are being measured against their own previous excellence rather than against the standard of the other teams

I agree with you here in principle - but the thing is 7 or 8 games in the hurling season is maybe the whole season for a lot of teams. There are teams every year that play 5 league games and 2 or 3 championship games. I expect a ranking system that has a chance of keeping with the times to be quite volatile! One game, especially a championship game should make a pretty big difference. Weighing the championship games(ie munster final worth more than first round qualifier) as you suggested is probably neccessary as well. Another tricky proposition though. Looking forward to following the ranking and seeing what adjustments are made and what affect they have. Well done on being a good devils advocate type for the thread. You've changed my mind a bit on a few things

Advertisement