Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What JRPG are you currently playing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Final Fantasy 9 sidequest discovered after 13 years

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-28-final-fantasy-9-sidequest-discovered-after-13-years

Didn't know where to put this - think its quite cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Playing Devil Survivor Overclocked at the moment. It's quite fun but the character designs are really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

megaten wrote: »
    Playing Devil Survivor Overclocked at the moment. It's quite fun but the character designs are really bad.

They're worse again in the sequel! Theres a girl who looks like she's got a wardrobe under her jumper.

Make sure to talk to every character every time you get an opportunity. It affects the options you have later in the game. I didn't realise this on my first playthrough and was limited to the paths I could take. The sequel is much clearer on this feature with you ranking up colleagues akin to Persona 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Plugging away at Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, quality game, really enjoying it. Got Persona 4 and Disgaea 3, for after it, and a few Final Fantasy saves I need to cut through.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm almost 14 hours into Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2. Currently rocking a heal slime in my party, with an angel slime in the reserves to gain some levels before I start using it in the active party. I'm in the level just after the ice level (there's always an ice level!)

• Advertisement

Etrian Odyssey IV is really addictive.

About 15 hours into Trails in the Sky. Lovely isn't a word I'd normally use to describe a game but it seems to suit this one. Such a pleasant experience all round. Well paced, excellent script and a nice balance between combat/plot/character development. The dialogue really makes it special, hopefully the sequel(s) get the same localisation team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It reminds me of Grandia, it's got the same upbeat atmosphere of adventure and likeable characters.

I played about 10 hours and couldn't really get into it. I'll probably give it another go though since were definitely getting the sequel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It reminds me of Grandia, it's got the same upbeat atmosphere of adventure and likeable characters.

I'm wondering how I completely forgot about that series, definately one I'll be looking into re-playing.

Did Grandia 2 have box art with (at least here) an airship on the front of it or am I thinking on a different game? Having a serious bout of nostalgia here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I'm wondering how I completely forgot about that series, definately one I'll be looking into re-playing.

Did Grandia 2 have box art with (at least here) an airship on the front of it or am I thinking on a different game? Having a serious bout of nostalgia here.

No,I think you might be thinking of skies of arcadia?on the gamecube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

No,I think you might be thinking of skies of arcadia?on the gamecube.

Indeed I am :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's another up beat adventure RPG that I love :) Wish there were more made like it and less RPGs trying to emulate the melodrama of FFVII (which worked because in that game because between the melodrama it had it's own charming adventure going on).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved Skies of Arcadia back when i Dreamcast. Would love to have given the Gamecube version a go, as i remember they reduced tge amount of random battles they had in it, which was one of my gripes with it originally. Loved the ship to ship battles though.

Still slowly plugging along at Etrian Oddessy IV. I don't know how similar it is to the earlier games but I really like it.
    I think for the first time I actually have a vague understanding of how to approach stuff like skill trees and the like since everything is laid out so clearly.
    For a game thats just a bunch of grids it has a fantastic sense of adventure.
    I've been playing it far more than soul hackers which I was looking forward too much more.

On the Final Chapter of Trails in the Sky. Surprised that this 4th chapter is the final one. I'm 25+ hours in and expected to be only half way through! Only starting to get the hang of the Orbments and the characters are only level 23.

Very enjoyable game though. Looking forward to the sequel.

I played the first one, it's one of the best games I've ever played. The newer ones apparently offer more freedom to go offand do siequests whereas 1 and 2 are just one big dungeon.

The map is such a simple addition but it adds so much to the game. Basically the map is your story and it's you creating it. It makes the whole thing feel more personally. That and it's just a damn fine game. Just a shame the music has gone orchestrated. While it's great music, Yuzo Koshiro's NEC PC-88 music from the rest of the series sounds far more distinctive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I didn't realise there were so many games in the trails series :eek:

Not heard anything about it but it's made by the NIS main team so should be quality.

I'll just leave what I got today here:

277538.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice,makes me want a 3ds more and more.Thats not been released in Europe ?

I think its the same gameplay as Zettai Hero Project on PSP if you played that.

megaten wrote: »
    I think its the same gameplay as Zettai Hero Project on PSP if you played that.

I haven't no, similar to disgea?

Only in terms of visuals. It a turn based rogue like except every time you die the levels you gained increase your base stats you you end up stronger the next run.

Think I'll give it a shot :D

That's only what ZHP was like. I don't know anything about this new one except it in the same vain.

You reminded me I need to pick up ZHP :)

SMTIV isn't out yet in Europe but I have a US 3DS. It's not all roses in NTSC land, we have to wait longer for Bravely Default :(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You reminded me I need to pick up ZHP :)

SMTIV isn't out yet in Europe but I have a US 3DS. It's not all roses in NTSC land, we have to wait longer for Bravely Default :(

Ahhhhhh sure god love ye :-D

Look what came today :-D

[IMG][/img]20131101_220609_zpsfc5d8206.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

this looks just like a mini FF D: now i am interested. haven't played any jrpg for ages (or any rpg for that matter).

what the hell is mistwalker up to nowadays, last time i heard they made some iOS TD game (that comes with uematsu music...?)....

Advertisement