Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MInt 17.2 crashes when Chrome and Libreoffice are open

Options
  • 23-07-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Found a strange issue and wondering if anyone has seen it or can help me with it.

When editing a document in Libreoffice Writer while having a couple of tabs open in Google Chrome (not Chromium), Chrome begins to slow down and I notice that certain areas of the display do not render properly. For example if you select some text on a webpage and right-click on that text the dialog box that pops up is all black. Same with bookmark menus.

From there on it gets slower and slower and eventually the system as a whole freezes.

I've a few extensions in Chrome so I disabled all of them but the issues still crops up. It never happens with Firefox...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How much RAM do you have? And how much is being used when the system starts to slow down? Chrome is an absolute memory hog, and on systems without large amounts of RAM, it will cause slow-downs

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

"free -h" in a terminal will tell you if memory is your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I've 4gb of RAM installed and about 1.2gb free when Chrome is open with Libreoffice in the background.

I'm not sure where the issue is coming from really considering I have memory available...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you run the apps from a terminal command the output might give some indication of what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

dmesg results? overheating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Anything in /var/crash ?

No overheating. Can you tell me what dmesg is please? I'm not familiar with that term...still learning my way around the lingo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

http://www.linuxnix.com/2013/05/what-is-linuxunix-dmesg-command-and-how-to-use-it.html

I normally pipe it into a text file to examine more closely.
    Dmesg > file.txt

Lads I reckon it might one of the extensions in Chrome that is causing the issue. For example, when I open Chrome and hover over one of the bookmarks the dialogue box that usually pops up to give you the list of bookmarks in that bookmark folder just appears black. Some of the other folders do render correctly though. Same when you copy&paste and right click, box pops up but no options in it, just black.

Now, if I go to Incogito mode, where no extensions are running, they all render correctly.

I didn't think I had that many extensions though. I have Google Cast, Docs, Keep, Play Music, Sheets, Slides (all Google products), Pocket, uBlock, Videostream and Zenmate. They never caused any issues before but maybe an update to one of them has.

Advertisement