Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shortage of IT staff?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

After the .COM bust in 01 the numbers joining IT plumetted
    The dotCom bubble saw a huge number of people entering IT, many of whom were ultimately ill suited to it, but demand was so high that the market took them anyway. With the bust, I remember all but a fraction were able to find any work and many retrained and moved into other industries (ironically many in construction related jobs).

It was a difficult year or two; more difficult than now, I suspect, as the recession there was centred on IT. Thank God for B2G work, at the time, is all I'd say.
    It is cyclical and it means that there is a shortage of Graduates coming out right now but in the next 2/3 years it will be significantly better.
    You tend to find people enter courses geared towards a particular industry when that industry is already in a boom. This can often mean that by the time they graduate, the boom is over - which is what I saw with people graduating in 2001 and suspect is the case with those graduating in the last few years.

The problem, other than people entering industries for financial rather than vocational reasons, is that they don't think ahead when they enter a four year undergraduate course. At 18, this is forgiveable, but you'd think that their parents or career guidance teachers might be a little bit more copped on.
    The problem with people doing post grads is they are one year courses to learn stuff others learnt in four years experience is definetly better than a post grad imo there is stuff you can't learn in aclass room.
    Having come from a non-CS background originally and having done a CS postgrad much, much later, I have come to the conclusion that both are important. Experience is in practical terms probably more important overall from a commercial point of view, however you often don't learn much of the underlying theory behind CS on the job, or why certain things are done in a certain way rather than another.

Formal education does this and also teaches a lot of best practices that you may not pick up on the job (or may not be followed in many companies).

Given this, over the years, I'd probably have to say that the best developers I've worked with have almost never started out as such. Typically they will have tended to be university educated, but in other fields, such as geology or even English literature and only subsequently went into IT and studied CS at a postgrad level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Over the years most of the people I've worked in IT, did not do CS as their primary degree. They would have degrees in other areas. As such most of them wouldn't get past the minimum requirements filter from agency despite decades of experience.

OwenM wrote: »
    It doesn't state the skills gap is in IT graduates. My take is that 49% graduates have a skills gap in IT - e.g. - business/arts graduates cannot use powerpoint - map a network drive - configure an email client.
    Which is why things like the ECDL are so important (although I don't think it goes beyond the basics). There's a huge percentage of the population who literally have only rudimentary computer skills; they can only use a few applications and their understanding of maintenance is limited to rebooting and defragging their machine. They're the ones who play MS Solitaire on Windows.

It's not that they're our parent's or grandparent's generation either; I've seen people much younger than me like this, but it's not an IT industry problem as a more overarching societal issue.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Over the years most of the people I've worked in IT, did not do CS as their primary degree. They would have degrees in other areas. As such most of them wouldn't get past the minimum requirements filter from agency despite decades of experience.
    I don't think HR departments in the English-speaking World are that blinkered, TBH. Certainly they can be in countries such as Germany or Italy, but Anglophone nations are a lot more flexible. Even in countries that are less flexible though, any primary degree with a CS postgrad (MSc, PgDip or even a cert from a good school) will easily be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Hey now... my boss (experienced developer) likes to play Solitaire while stuff is building :D

On another point, most of the people I work with don't have CS degrees. They do however have physics/maths degrees! Clearly not the same as business degree holders.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Hey now... my boss (experienced developer) likes to play Solitaire while stuff is building :D
    It's a work, rather than personal machine though ;)

By that I meant people who's IT skills are so limited that they literally cannot download and install something new, limiting them to whatever has already been installed on the machine.
    On another point, most of the people I work with don't have CS degrees. They do however have physics/maths degrees! Clearly not the same as business degree holders.
    You'll get a lot of people from the other sciences going into IT - geology is one field that I've seen a few developers coming from originally, for example. You'll also see some coming from the humanities or finance, but they're fewer in number.

IT isn't unusual in this regard; I've lost count of how many management consultants I've known who originally did degrees in engineering or lawyers who have degrees in philosophy or history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

OwenM wrote: »
    It doesn't state the skills gap is in IT graduates. My take is that 49% graduates have a skills gap in IT - e.g. - business/arts graduates cannot use powerpoint - map a network drive - configure an email client.

Ah I see what you mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

[QUOTE=The Corinthian;78978220
    geology is one field that I've seen a few developers coming from originally, for example. [/QUOTE]
    Geologists undergo training to ensure survival in the field under conditions with no support,a hostile environment and the possibly of dealing with ferocious rabid sheep - ie I found it perfect a foundation for working in IT :)

I don't think HR departments in the English-speaking World are that blinkered, TBH. Certainly they can be in countries such as Germany or Italy, but Anglophone nations are a lot more flexible. Even in countries that are less flexible though, any primary degree with a CS postgrad (MSc, PgDip or even a cert from a good school) will easily be accepted.

Its not HR depts, its the agencies doing the filtering.

Its not HR depts, its the agencies doing the filtering.

Yes very true. It depends if you come up on a databse or not. Sometimes the title of a course you have done and buzz words in your CV/Cover Letter/profile can have a bearing on how you be spotted by agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The problem, other than people entering industries for financial rather than vocational reasons, is that they don't think ahead when they enter a four year undergraduate course. At 18, this is forgiveable, but you'd think that their parents or career guidance teachers might be a little bit more copped on.
    I think it's harsh to blame parents - my parents, for example, didn't go to university and as far as they're concerned anyone with a degree is a borderline genius. Guidance teachers, now that's a different matter. I can only speak from my own personal experience, but the "career guidance teacher" in my school was more of a counselor than anything else - her career advice was next to useless.

But on the more general point of booms dictating where the graduates come from - absolutely true. I remember in the late 90's kids being strongly encouraged to opt for electronic engineering and computer science, as that's were all the jobs were at the time (in Intel, Analog Devices and the like). But by the time they were graduating with their degrees in say '03 or '04, many found graduate engineering positions hard to come by. I would love to see secondary school kids being told to forget about the prevailing economic conditions when they're completing their CAO applications (or UCAS here in the UK) and focus on what they actually want to do - we'd hopefully have a much more balanced workforce as a result.

Unless they all decided that their sole ambition was to win X Factor. But we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Actually speaking of most people only entering these courses while the industry is booming, Myparents didn't think I made a good choice when I started college because all they ever heard was about the loss of jobs from IT Giants like Dell and HP and other Manufacturing operations in Ireland, it is noly in the last year or so people have realised the difference.

djpbarry wrote: »
    ...I would love to see secondary school kids being told to forget about the prevailing economic conditions when they're completing their CAO applications (or UCAS here in the UK) and focus on what they actually want to do - we'd hopefully have a much more balanced workforce as a result.

Unless they all decided that their sole ambition was to win X Factor. But we'll cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

I think you get a lot of people doing trendy courses then, and the colleges push people at these course to fill seats IMO without there being jobs for that number of graduates. I remember all the multimedia courses back in the day.

Heaven forbid people would study something they find interesting... The guys that got into IT for the money are the ones that hate their jobs and burn out.

I think you get a lot of people doing trendy courses then, and the colleges push people at these course to fill seats IMO without there being jobs for that number of graduates. I remember all the multimedia courses back in the day.

Ya Multimedia was starting to boom in my time when I started college. Different story at the moment due to a tougher jobs market in the area but still a variety of courses in different areas of multimedia. Its all about the mobile programming and apps. Very hard to get into web programming and graphic design without a certain level of experience even if you have the skills and qualifications to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Heaven forbid people would study something they find interesting... The guys that got into IT for the money are the ones that hate their jobs and burn out.

I've seen a few burnouts in my time (a road I suspect I'm well on the way down now :(), and I'd suggest the opposite - put "interested" people in jobs that suppress/frustrate those "interests" and that's where the problems begin. The guys that are in it for the money just do their 9 to 5, and don't give a sh1t as to what they deliver...

D.

Heaven forbid people would study something they find interesting... ...

Its ok if people choose something knowing making a living at it will be difficult. But in my experience there little focus in schools and college in passing on an awareness of the financial implications, or choosing a career that will sustain your interest. The flip side of burnout is someone has to take other jobs they don't like, as their dream job won't support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Software development isn't just a job. That's why I like it so much! The money's nice too though...

Actually speaking of most people only entering these courses while the industry is booming, Myparents didn't think I made a good choice when I started college because all they ever heard was about the loss of jobs from IT Giants like Dell and HP and other Manufacturing operations in Ireland, it is noly in the last year or so people have realised the difference.
    I think most people still don’t know the difference. A lot of people don’t appreciate the scale and complexity of the operation at Intel, for example, and liken it to Dell.

Its ok if people choose something knowing making a living at it will be difficult. But in my experience there little focus in schools and college in passing on an awareness of the financial implications...
    Forget the financial implications, I’d like to see students have it drummed into them that a degree, regardless of the field, doesn’t guarantee anything in the jobs market.

dazberry wrote: »
    I've seen a few burnouts in my time (a road I suspect I'm well on the way down now :(), and I'd suggest the opposite - put "interested" people in jobs that suppress/frustrate those "interests" and that's where the problems begin. The guys that are in it for the money just do their 9 to 5, and don't give a sh1t as to what they deliver...

D.

Yes this can happen, but people are always free to switch to another employer. Switching to a completely different career however is more difficult and probably involves a big pay cut. The 9-5 guys fall behind because they don't upskill.

Working as a software developer is an amazing career, and lets you work in many disparate industries all over the world (software is needed everywhere these days). Definitely not gonna be short on choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dazberry wrote: »

D.

Plus eleventy billion!

As a natural born problem solver, give me a problem that can not be solved within the scope of the environment(as in killing everyone you work with is not an option), and smoke will soon be coming from my ears. When this happens continually everyday its no wonder so many IT people burnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

So just of curiosity, do most people in this thread work for banks and other big institutions? Or small software shops? Or freelance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Small software shop in the financial sector with big clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

So just of curiosity, do most people in this thread work for banks and other big institutions? Or small software shops? Or freelance?
    Consultancy firm mix of clients some very small some quite large.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

eCommerce, plenty of clients, some small, some large.

Advertisement