Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakfast Ideas for Work

• 24-02-2015 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I eat my breakfast in work in the morning. We've a kitchen, but all there is to cook something is a microwave (and a toaster).

Am bit stuck...every second morning I have (micowaved) scrambled eggs OR 2 slices of toasted McCambridges, OR 2 weetabix.

Fruit make me hungrier (I eat more veg more than fruit anyways).

The thing is, I dont like porridge (the texture/consistency-gloopy) and apparently its amazing to keep you full. I also dont eat nuts (so granola out the window).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

How about oatflakes and yoghurt. You can add fruit to that.

You can toast the oats and bring them into work with you or just have them plain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

could make some bacon the night before and just reheat it on some toast with a bit of cheese and that would be different

You could make mini egg muffins, add whatever you like, smoked salmon, ham. These are filling and you could have them with toast or a pitta

You could make porridge scones and have one of those with Jam and greek yogurt . These do not taste like porridge at all!! More like a lovely brown bread

You would potentially have 6 different breakfasts then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Porridge scones?!

Tell us more! :D

No prob

Butter up 6 places in a muffin tin

360g oats
    500g natural yogurt
    1 tsp of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda is what I have)
    1 egg

Mix all this together. Roll into 6 different portions, and into each hole of the muffin tray. Into the oven, about 30-35 mins on gas 5.

You can thank me later!! They are LOVELY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

No prob

360g oats
    500g natural yogurt
    1 egg

Mix all this together. Roll into 6 different portions, and into each hole of the muffin tray. Into the oven, about 30-35 mins on gas 5.

Sounds interesting!

2 questions;
    1. Do you reckon you could mix in some fruit before baking? e.g. blueberries - I like porridge but do have a slightly sweet tooth.
    2. How long do they last before going stale/off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

crisco10 wrote: »
    How long do they last before going stale/off?
    As long as it takes me to get my mouth open wide enough to fit all 6 in.

crisco10 wrote: »
    Sounds interesting!

2 questions;
    1. Do you reckon you could mix in some fruit before baking? e.g. blueberries - I like porridge but do have a slightly sweet tooth.
    2. How long do they last before going stale/off?

1) My friend tried them with raspberries and they burnt in it so I don't think so. You definitely can add seeds etc though and those are fine. Try the simple recipe first though and tweak it then however you want it

2) They keep well for about 4 days but I have found a stray one at the abck of the fridge once that was about 8 days old and it was ok too

-Some more tips, I would heat them slightly just before eating, nom

-If you use a thick natural yogurt like a liberte greek style or the aldi greek style they come out well.

- You can also blend the oats mix but it works pretty well with the hands mixing it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

360g oats
    500g natural yogurt
    1 egg

Oh ill definitely be trying this. Thanks! Sounds so different right up my street.

PS: When you say "oats" I guess you mean like just regular porridge oats? Could you use porrige oats with the fruit already in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Sounds good. Might try this one. Could you use greek style yogurt? Would they freeze ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Pop tarts, coco pops and a donut.

Doesn't take long to prep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That recipe sounds like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for- perfectly easy to make and healthy! Thanks for posting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭accensi0n

That recipe sounds like exactly the sort of thing I was looking for- perfectly easy to make and healthy! Thanks for posting :)

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Just on the porridge issue, you can cook it to whatever consistency you want. Used to hate it as a kid, love it now that my mam isn't cooking it for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

porridge muffin things sound lovely, definitely going to try them at weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Those porridge scones sound amazing, definitely going to try them!

My go to breakfast of late has been a big bow of greek yogurt with a little bit of granola, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi and a dash of honey. I have a veggie shake (kale, spinach, celery, lemon juice, cucumber, water & a drop of milk) with this and find it keeps me full until 2pm easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Cooked porridge = yuck

Raw, mix on a few raisins, almonds linseeds / pumpkin / sunflower seeds whatever you have cold milk straight down the hatch delicious

Cooked porridge = yuck

Raw, mix on a few raisins, almonds linseeds / pumpkin / sunflower seeds whatever you have cold milk straight down the hatch delicious

Have you tried these scones, or a porridge loaf? Don't write it off til you try them at least. Fair enough if you have though!

martyoo wrote: »
    Sounds good. Might try this one. Could you use greek style yogurt? Would they freeze ok?

Yep they freeze and greek style is fine!

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Oh ill definitely be trying this. Thanks! Sounds so different right up my street.

PS: When you say "oats" I guess you mean like just regular porridge oats? Could you use porrige oats with the fruit already in them?

Yeo just regular porridge. I never tried the other type but I know that other fruit burns in the recipe. Just try it sure, its cheap as chips to make and if it goes wrong just bung them and try again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Overnight oats. You can make them at home at night and take them to work in a container. They are made from porridge but you can vary the texture of them a lot. I find it a lot thicker and creamier.
    I'd normally like porridge made with water, but that leaves me hungry after two hours. These keep me full for at least five! I am obsessed with them. :P

Two favourite recipes right now:

1/2 cup porridge oats
    1/2 cup almond milk (I'm sure regular works fine too, but haven't tried it)
    1/2 cup natural yogurt (or Greek for creamier result)
    Tsp honey
    2 tbsps Chia seeds (optional, but keep you full!)
    Chopped strawberries (or blueberries, banana, etc)

Mix together in a bowl (cover with clingfilm or tinfoil)/airtight container and refrigerate overnight. Can be eaten cold or warmed up for a minute in the microwave.

This one I made up throwing together things I had in my cupboard and it's delicious! Same method.

1/2 cup porridge oats
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1 Alpro Soya chocolate yogurt
    Tbsp cocoa powder (or more to taste)
    Sliced banana

• Advertisement

I am going to try the overnight oats myself , they sound great. I am not a lover of porridge in the conventional sense but I know it fills me!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I do overnight oats with protein powder:

20g oats
    15g protein powder
    10g milled chia seeds
    100g greek/natural yoghurt
    100ml of milk (almond or normal)

Leave overnight, and so lovely the next day. I use chocolate protein powder on it's own, or vanilla powder and add some nut butter or fruit into it the next day.

The scones sound great though! I've made banana and oat muffins, quite a similar recipe and they are lovely with some nut butter too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Have you tried these scones, or a porridge loaf? Don't write it off til you try them at least. Fair enough if you have though!

Apologies, I meant boiled in a pot with milk type cooked.

Will try scones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

No prob

360g oats
    500g natural yogurt
    1 egg

Post of the year!!

Healthy scones! You've made my day! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

May as well include my breakfast concoction:

1 egg
    1/4 cup of oats
    1/4 cup of chia seed (linseed etc)
    pinch of desiccated coconut
    pinch of cinnamon
    splash of milk
    1 tsp honey
    couple of blueberries

mix em all together and lash them in the microwave for 2 minutes - delish!

Should look something like this:

Nom_zps21339904.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

2 tbsp Natural Yoghurt
    1-2 heaped tbsp Peanut-Butter
    1 tsp Honey
    1-2 Bananas
    1 cup Orange Juice (add water too if you don't like the consistency)

Blend that $hit up!

1 'Monkey-Business' Zumo shake.

Works best with frozen natural yoghurt and a hint of pineapple juice but they aren't so handy around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

No prob

360g oats
    500g natural yogurt
    1 egg

Tried these today, so easy to make thank you!!

Have the porridge muffins currently in oven.
    I seemed to end up with more mixture than would fit into 6 muffin cases, so I will do a second batch.
    I also threw a few chopped nuts and raisins in, with a bit of cinnamon.

They're nice, but missing something. Maybe I'm just too used to 'sweet' products. I put a drizzle of honey on it after and it seemed to help.

2yxgdpl.jpg

How should I store these & how long should they last?

• Advertisement

They're nice, but missing something. Maybe I'm just too used to 'sweet' products. I put a drizzle of honey on it after and it seemed to help.

2yxgdpl.jpg

How should I store these & how long should they last?

I usually keep one or two out in the fridge and freeze the rest.

I use yogurt and some sugar free jam on mine, seriously yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Made these today too. I'm not a baker but I thought they looked simple enough to chance it. They're yummy but can I ask, what consistency should the inside be? Mine are still a bit gooey inside but I had to take them out because the tops were burning. Maybe i had the oven too high? I gave them 35 minutes at 200 degrees.

I'll defo make them again 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I made them yesterday - gas mark 5 is 190, so 200 wasn't far off. However, I split the mix into 12, as a sixth of the mix seemed massive. Took about 25 minutes at that size - just getting the odd overdone bit on the top. Really handy to do - hoping to get the children on to them!

In recent weeks i've been doing a protein shake with one scoop of (vanilla) whey protein, and one scoop of blitzed up oats and happy with the results in terms of taste, convenience and how full it leaves me (and I can have it on the go in the car). Really considering the overnights oats after this thread though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Note on overnight oats: tried them with blueberries this morning. Next time I'm gonna mash the blueberries up before mixing them in cause the texture was not right!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I made them yesterday - gas mark 5 is 190, so 200 wasn't far off. However, I split the mix into 12, as a sixth of the mix seemed massive. Took about 25 minutes at that size - just getting the odd overdone bit on the top. Really handy to do - hoping to get the children on to them!

In recent weeks i've been doing a protein shake with one scoop of (vanilla) whey protein, and one scoop of blitzed up oats and happy with the results in terms of taste, convenience and how full it leaves me (and I can have it on the go in the car). Really considering the overnights oats after this thread though!

Ditto here, also split my mixture into 12 & left them in abuot 25 minutes. Glad I checked them at 25 or they'd have been burnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just to come back on this, tried the overnight oats as my mid morning break food in work (actually eating as I type!). They are really nice, and I prefer them to porridge.

The mix I am making is...
    1/2 Cup of Porridge Oats
    1/2 Cup of Milk
    1/2 Cup (which works out at 125g) Low Fat Natural Yogurt
    A scoop of Vanilla Whey Protein (I pre-mix/ shake the whey and milk together first)

The missus is on shopping duty today, so is looking for frozen berries to add to the mix. I think she's got the chia seeds too.

Much more filling that the wheetabix it's replaced. I've just been eating it cold so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I eat my breakfast in work in the morning. We've a kitchen, but all there is to cook something is a microwave (and a toaster).

Am bit stuck...every second morning I have (micowaved) scrambled eggs OR 2 slices of toasted McCambridges, OR 2 weetabix.

Fruit make me hungrier (I eat more veg more than fruit anyways).

The thing is, I dont like porridge (the texture/consistency-gloopy) and apparently its amazing to keep you full. I also dont eat nuts (so granola out the window).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

What do you have for lunch. mix it around a bit.

Get rid of the mindset that you need cereal, eggs , bacon for breakfast. It's only a meal.

I've often had a curry or a salad for my breakfast. If your not a big eater first thing prepare some veggie soup the day before and bring that with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone tried these with flavoured youghert?
    I got some strawberry that I'm looking forward to making

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

eggs, feta cheese and chopped spinach - a recepie from the sunday times

I make a big batch every few days - 5 or 6 eggs, 100g feta (add more if you wish), big handful of spinach & some pepper, mix well, into a medium oven dish for 30 mins @180 C (or more time depending on you dish size). When cool, store in the fridge, grab a big sliche in the morning and bring to work, Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. It will fill you up untill lunch time.

Advertisement