Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is wrong with me!

Options
  • 23-02-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I am 5 foot 3, 9 st 10 & train with a personal trainer once a week. I am small build but have built quite a bit of muscle, dress size 8. I lead a healthy diet & exercise regime 80percent of the time but the other 20% I am disgusted with. I just feel 'soft' lately, I work in a very busy stressful job & bread and chocolate are my comforts! I didn't bother packing lunch today as I said I'd grab a salad, however I found myself with a chicken fillet roll. Why do I keep jeopardizing myself I am absolutely disgusted :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I am 5 foot 3, 9 st 10 & train with a personal trainer once a week. I am small build but have built quite a bit of muscle, dress size 8. I lead a healthy diet & exercise regime 80percent of the time but the other 20% I am disgusted with. I just feel 'soft' lately, I work in a very busy stressful job & bread and chocolate are my comforts! I didn't bother packing lunch today as I said I'd grab a salad, however I found myself with a chicken fillet roll. Why do I keep jeopardizing myself I am absolutely disgusted :(

Its willpower. Loads of people lead stressful lives/jobs and don't eat bread and chocolate, people cant make you change your decisions through a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Goose81 wrote: »
    Its willpower. Loads of people lead stressful lives/jobs and don't eat bread and chocolate, people cant make you change your decisions through a screen.

Thanks for that! I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's because you're human.

Will that chicken roll really make much a difference to your regime / plan?

80: 20 seems like a pretty good ratio.

If work lunches are your weakness though then it's about preparation.

As for chocolate - I found that eating the 85% cocoa stuff from Aldi kept my chocolate cravings at bay. You'd never eat the same quantity of dark chocolate as you would Dairy Milk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You had a chicken fillet roll for lunch. You didn't smother a puppy so maybe take it easy on the self recriminations.

Question: why do you feel bread and chocolate are your comforts? Just have a think about genuinely answering that.

And you're not the first person to opt for convenience. Maybe consider preparing lunches in advance to make lunch decisions easier and less likely to end in you feeling so bad about them.

It's a long game. Some days we make the wrong choices but if they are far outweighed by healthy choices then you're on the right track. And unless you're eating something messed up, there's nothing that should leave you feeling disgusted with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I've lost and put on the same stone and a half so many times over the years that I've lost count, but this time I was able to keep it off becaussomething clicked that it's not an all or nothing thing, you don't have to be perfect all the time. Whereas before if I slipped up at all I'd tell myself I failed and I might as well stay in my old habits, now I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. I've had plenty of days where I've eaten disgusting amounts of food, but I just never let it turn into a thing that went on for days or weeks. What matters is consistency, that you do keep going, if you eat a chicken fillet roll or whatever so what? It's when you're eating them and stuff like that every day you run into problems. Try to see stuff like that as something to be eaten and enjoyed once in a while, don't feel any guilt and just get back to eating healthy after. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! I think!

Look its all in the planning,as you say you ate the chicken fillet roll because you didn't have the food prepared.

If you are aiming for weight loss btw 1 day a week with a trainer will do nothing, 3 minimum (Not necessarily with a trainer)

Fail to prepare prepare to fail. You don't have to ruin your life getting in shape just eat below your maintenance calories during the week,exercise tues-thurs and don't go mental during the weekend and you will lose weight.

if you cant put in the effort to make the meals and exercise then you don't really want it.

You just need to do it spot on for 2-3 weeks and one you see results then you'll want to continue.

Looking at a few of your other posts your problem seems to be motivation and not just relating to your diet, I'm not being funny but you need to want to change and people telling you what you want to hear from behind a screen wont help, you need to want to.

I know I have an eating disorder, I've gone between 6 stone & 13stone after I had my baby. I just cannot seem to say no then I end up feeling like Sh1t and eating very little for days before starting the cycle again. I know I need to just be motivated I have started walking at lunch time to avoid the countless cakes sweets etc in the office

I think you'd be well advised to go to a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.

If you stay stuck in this cycle of starving then binging and then thinking dodging sweets is the answer, you might keep falling back into the cycle.

There's something deeper at the root of it that you need to address. Just my two cents.

I think you'd be well advised to go to a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist.

If you stay stuck in this cycle of starving then binging and then thinking dodging sweets is the answer, you might keep falling back into the cycle.

There's something deeper at the root of it that you need to address. Just my two cents.

I would have to disagree, my self esteem is very high I just have no willpower!

I never mentioned self esteem and it's not the only reason for CBT.

It's understanding behaviours and resolving the root of a problem since you mentioned a disorder yourself.

It's just advice offered to help get you out of a cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

What Al said.

The swinging weight is not healthy.

Give a look at Bodywhys.ie, Check out CBT like Alf said and look at the Marino Therapy clinic too. First hand these are great resources and I would encourage you look into this. Living like like you are now ...

At the risk of this going down a route along the lines of medical advice, I will ask posters to be cautious in responses and the advice they give as to pertain to forum charter.

Thanks.

Thanks all. Started today with a great weighted circuits session and it made Me feel so good for the day I stayed clean eating all day. Onwards and upwards. Prep is key

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

OP, I would suggest cutting gluten out of your diet, it sounds like you may me gluten intolerant.

theboy1 wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest cutting gluten out of your diet, it sounds like you may me gluten intolerant.

Its nothing to do with gluten intolerance which is a bloody gimmick for 99% of people.How many people were gluten intolerant in the 50's that were deathly ill, its simply eating too much and moving to little.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

theboy1 wrote: »
    Which part exactly sounded like gluten intolerance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

CBT will find a deeper reason why you've fluctuated and feel so disgusting that you ate a chicken roll. It's completely nothing to be disgusted about at all.

I've got kind of two bits of advice, I'm lucky enough not to have suffered from any eating disorder but I'm very into fitness and my chocoalte. What I've found best is:

1) Try to think of the now not the when. I do eat a bit too much chocolate and find myself asking questions, is it the craving controlling me or do I really want the chocolate? Can I survive right now without it, and usually it's a yes. I try not to think into the future of ooo but I want it, when will I get chocolate, when can I pig out again? It's about the now and substituting that craving into something else, in your case a salad and to fill your appetite with that.

2) Also beating yourself would certainly increase your stress and reduce your will power; "can I really do this, can I keep this up?". What's done is done and to be honest a slip up here and there is fine. 99% of us don't aspire or never will reach the physique that marketing has portrayed as being "ideal". Those people in magazines etc are not really part of the general public. No one should aspire to be someone else, just look at your own case and be comfortable with your goals. Goals aren't reached overnight and we wouldn't be human without lapses in concentration or an odd slip up here and there.

All in all when you're about to make a decision, don't think of it as "I'm disgusting", think of it as, do I really need this right here right now. Can I survive without it and can I suplement it with something else? And the odd time that you do slip up, say, actually ye, I'd love to eat it! Enjoy it! You don't get to eat it much by the sounds of it, so enjoy it, don't beat yourself up about it, and just get back on track again straight away and hit the gym or whatever you do a little harder.

Everyone has fitness goals, but noone ever reaches those goals in reality, because we move the posts. I want to lose x weight, now I want to put on muscle, now x y and z. Be comfortable with hitting your main goals but realise it's a process. You'll be fine, if I beat myself up every time I slipped up I'd be twice the weight. I just hit the gym harder and try the rest of the time to eat clean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Cook and prepare your food for the day the night before and bring your lunch with you, that way you'll know what you're definitely having for lunch on any day and will be a lot less likely to change since you went to the effort of making it and also don't want to spend more money buying something else. Other than that it's up to whether or not your will power and motivation are sh!t.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with gluten intolerance which is a bloody gimmick for 99% of people.How many people were gluten intolerant in the 50's that were deathly ill, its simply eating too much and moving to little.

This. And I bet most of the people who claim gluten intolerance have never even been diagnosed through a test for it.

Advertisement