Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 187 - Johnson v Cormier

Options
  • 17-05-2015 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

5c0d92826821286d7b742ca9ed0672da.png

Date: Saturday 23rd May
    Time: Early Prelims (Fight Pass, 11:30pm GMT), Prelims (BT Sport 1, 1am), Main Card (BT Sport 1, 3am)
    Venue: MGM Grand, Las Vegas
    Odds: Johnson (6/5) v Cormier (4/5)

Who Will Win The Main Event? 49 votes

Johnson via KO/TKO
    0%
    Johnson via Decision
    55%
    califanoDavei141slicus ricusnmg_ireapope8Vim FuegoMartyMcFly84pauldoowinston82[Deleted User]DrPhilGZero-Coolbut1erstiffler123Mr. Managerthe incredible puddingASOTSpaceCowb0yPetermc83Wrongway1985 27 votes
    Johnson via Submission
    6%
    mailburnersmilerfmocathain 3 votes
    Cormier via KO/TKO
    2%
    paulieeye 1 vote
    Cormier via Decision
    6%
    phily2002John_D80ronanc1000 3 votes
    Cormier via Submission
    30%
    dave1982HokiPride FighterDancorEvil_ClownkillwillMrStuffinsPsydeshowUsh1JR6Paully DjohnproTimRigginsBurb5zelodko87 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cormier via Submission
    Not quite the card it was a few short weeks ago, but a very good one nonetheless.

Rumble v Cormier is so tough to call. If Cormier is to win, it'll be by wrestling Johnson for the 5 rounds IMO. That said, if Rumble connects flush with one punch it could be lights out for DC. An intriguing matchup.

In the co-main, Weidman v Belfort finally happens at the 4th time of asking. It remains to be seen how Vitor will perform off the TRT and he hasn't fought in 18 months. I think Weidman will take this one relatively comfortably.

Such a shame Khabib got injured ahead of the fight with Cowboy but elsewhere I'm looking forward to watching Uriah Hall, Dodson and Rose Namajunas in action.

Roll on Saturday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Johnson via Decision
    Said in the mma awards thread this will be Rumbles year, he might not be doing it Against Jones which I would have fathered but he's going to be going home with the belt regardless! Still a really good card even with the changes and I'm looking forward to it alot!

Think non TRT Vitor will be nowhere near good enough to best Weidman who will make quick work of him I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Petermc83

Johnson via Decision
    cant wait for this card... its stacked with great fights.. If only Khalib could have been injury free...would have loved to see him vs Cowboy.

Johnson vs Cormier is extremely close.. i cant see DC ragdoll Rumble the way he has done to Jones/Henderson previous... havnt decided who i think will win yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Johnson via Submission
    keeping the faith with rumble and think itll be mainly standing
    davis couldnt get near rumble and i think cormier might be forced to keep it standing which give rumble an advantage surely
    rumble one of my favs, like cormier but desperately want rumble to succeed as I do believe he is the only one out there that can take jones when he returns

not sure what to expect from vitor..a big ask maybe?

so many fighters on this card I really want to win compared to any card in a long time esp rumble, arlovski along with cerrone and hall and even vitor
    how could anyone not root for the like of arlovski though?

shame the future lightweight champ isn't on the card also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mailburner wrote: »
    keeping the faith with rumble and think itll be mainly standing
    davis couldnt get near rumble and i think cormier might be forced to keep it standing which give rumble an advantage surely
    rumble one of my favs, like cormier but desperately want rumble to succeed as I do believe he is the only one out there that can take jones when he returns

not sure what to expect from vitor..a big ask maybe?

so many fighters on this card I really want to win compared to any card in a long time esp rumble, arlovski along with cerrone and hall and even vitor
    how could anyone not root for the like of arlovski though?

shame the future lightweight champ isn't on the card also :)

Ye I love arlovski too. Kinda reminds me of Robbie lawyer as when I started watching UFC they were both considered so dangerous. Hopefully arlovski can make the same kinda comeback as lawyer.
    It's also crazy to think that only recently, Cormier was destroying the HW division and rumble was losing to average WW's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cormier via Submission
    I'd love to see Belfort do the business but I can see Weidman doing to him what Jones did to him.

Johnson via Submission
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye I love arlovski too. Kinda reminds me of Robbie lawyer as when I started watching UFC they were both considered so dangerous. Hopefully arlovski can make the same kinda comeback as lawyer.
    It's also crazy to think that only recently, Cormier was destroying the HW division and rumble was losing to average WW's

tell ya what though, rumble beating the p1ss out of davis for three rounds was one of the most enjoyable things i've ever watched
    not been tested in a long time either and few in either division could stand with him either
    another sound buck who you just couldn't but root for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tempted to stick a double on Rumble and Arlovski. Partly because I'm a fool but mostly because I love Arlovski. Love him good.

Pays around 7/1

Johnson via Submission
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Tempted to stick a double on Rumble and Arlovski. Partly because I'm a fool but mostly because I love Arlovski. Love him good.

Pays around 7/1

but so am I :pac:

like most fools yesterday backing gerrard in his last match at anfield or backing mc coys last mount (two disasters)
    love them too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think it's funny how the ufc are branding the DC vs AJ fight as for the "undisputed" title. The winner of that fight will be incredibly disputed as champion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cormier via Submission
    dulux99 wrote: »
    I think it's funny how the ufc are branding the DC vs AJ fight as for the "undisputed" title. The winner of that fight will be incredibly disputed as champion!

Very true but I think they're trying to make sure people know it's not an Interim belt.

But yeah, it'll be the most disputed championship in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Cormier via Submission

Main event is a toss up for me, Either could win it. I'll take DC by decision because he wasn't be knocked out by heavyweights and I think he can control Rumble on the ground.

Contrary to popular belief I think Vitor has a huge chance against Weidman. I think he can definitely hurt Weidman on the feet. I'm not convinced about Weidman at all. Machida had him in trouble late in the fight and Machida got murdered by Rockhold.

Fantastic card even with Khabib off it, which I don't mind as I want Cowboy to get the title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

CFYJKlt_W0_AEs_Dwc.jpg

Belfort looking slightly less freakish than usual!!

DK224 wrote: »
    CFYJKlt_W0_AEs_Dwc.jpg

Belfort looking slightly less freakish than usual!!

When was each taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

Left pic is from the countdown episode
    Right pic is from training from his last fight against Henderson back in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Did DC have that operation on his knee?

DK224 wrote: »
    Left pic is from the countdown episode
    Right pic is from training from his last fight against Henderson back in 2013

Frightening difference alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Vitor not looking all that shredded. Weidman at a canter.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

Cormier via Submission
    That's some difference in vitor!! There's no way he's changed physique so drastically and still maintained the physical qualities that helped him win his last 3...he actually looks his age there on the left. I'd love another head kick knockout to cap a half of fame career but I think he'll get mauled by weidman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Johnson via Decision
    Yeah when I saw him in embedded it was a bit shocking.

Looks like he is certainly off the TRT. Amazing the difference it makes, I am sure he is training as hard as he can for this fight. But he wont be able to train and recover as much.

I mean look at the difference in his arms and shoulders. I know alot of punching power comes from technique but it also comes from being freakishly strong. Vitors power always seemed to come from the latter and it looks like that is gone.

I have a feeling he will get destroyed by Weidman.

I loved when Vitor was KOing people left right and centre with headkicks but I'm being realistic. Look at the guys who've come off TRT recently enough (Bigfoot and Hendo mainly), then add that Vitor hasn't fought in nearly two years. It's very hard to see him winning this.

Anywho, Weidman seems like a top bloke so I'll be happy for him to retain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pretty good interview with Weidman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have a small group bet in work for the main card. Predicting winner, method and round. Everybody has said Browne KO Rd1.

Poor Arlovski!

I heard someone make a good point that Browne hasn't actually fought many decent strikers. Overeem, Werdum, maybe Bigfoot? 2 beat him comfortably and the other was beating him up til he gassed. The only problem is that Arlovski is very chinny while Browne hasn't shown to be, plus Browne has a lot of power.

I think Browne will win too FWIW but I'm just trying to build some hope for our mate Andrei!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Cormier via Submission
    Haha Weidman says Vitors still cheating and tomorrow night he's gonna make him pay for it!

Cormier via Submission
    Weidman not happy there - "this guy (Belfort) is still cheating and I'm going to make him pay for it" after Weidman says he found out that Belfort had a testosterone score of 1200 during camp.

If that's true, how is this still going ahead?

• Advertisement

Cormier via Submission
    Rumble scares the **** out of me

Advertisement