Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reworking Dublin's quays

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That infers you think less cars is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

What does?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Grafton street, Mary street, Henry street, Temple Bar.

All fairly successful pedistrain streets or part pedistrain streets -- there's little to no chance any options for the quays is going to pedistrain-only streets.

Compared to many cities we still have a small amount of pedistrain streets and those that we have are poorly connected and nealy all retail-only.

Do you want O'Connell street for pedestrians and bikes only as well?

Since nobody is talking about having the quays just for pedestrians and bikes only, what are you talking about?

The plans are to include a mix, which includes cars.

It seems like pure fictional anger. You're making stuff up as you go along...

You have bike lanes and pavements, what more do you want?

Routes for walking and cycling which are attractive to residents, commuters and tourists along the riverbank.

There's no cycle lanes on most of the quays. So, you don't seem to know that much about what you are talking about.

The footpaths are often desperate. In 2012 pedestrian crossing the whole way down the quays on the river side should not be too much to ask for. Nor should accessible footpaths which are half decent and at least allow a pram and a wheelchair to pass each other.

What about the quality of life for the people who lives on the routes that the cars will be diverted through? Extra cars being diverted passed their houses just to please some cyclists and pedestrians who only care about themselves at the best of times.

Pure fictional anger. What diversions? What areas? What houses?

The quays have a large amount of homes along them, both directly on them and within meters from them. What about their quality if life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Grafton street, Mary street, Henry street, Temple Bar. Do you want O'Connell street for pedestrians and bikes only as well? You have bike lanes and pavements, what more do you want? What about the quality of life for the people who lives on the routes that the cars will be diverted through? Extra cars being diverted passed their houses just to please some cyclists and pedestrians who only care about themselves at the best of times.

Yes actually, and while we're at it, pedestrianise Westmoreland and D'Olier Streets and College Green, and push through congestion charges while we're at it. Imagine our very own Las Ramblas on O'Connell Street, filled with bustling coffee and food stands and weekend markets. Imagine Grand Place style events like concerts and weekend festivals taking place on College Green. Instead years of bad planning has left us with a traffic clogged, fume filled dump of a main thoroughfare, it honestly pains me as a proud Dub to call it a dump, but that's what it is.

The part where you say cyclists only care about themselves really irks me, pray tell, what do the people who drive SUVs with no passengers around Dublin care about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Do you want O'Connell street for pedestrians and bikes only as well?

Now you're talking.

Why not?

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    All fairly successful pedistrain streets or part pedistrain streets -- there's little to no chance any options for the quays is going to pedistrain-only streets.

Compared to many cities we still have a small amount of pedistrain streets and those that we have are poorly connected and nealy all retail-only.

Since nobody is talking about having the quays just for pedestrians and bikes only, what are you talking about?

The plans are to include a mix, which includes cars.

It seems like pure fictional anger. You're making stuff up as you go along...

Routes for walking and cycling which are attractive to residents, commuters and tourists along the riverbank.

There's no cycle lanes on most of the quays. So, you don't seem to know that much about what you are talking about.

The footpaths are often desperate. In 2012 pedestrian crossing the whole way down the quays on the river side should not be too much to ask for. Nor should accessible footpaths which are half decent and at least allow a pram and a wheelchair to pass each other.

Pure fictional anger. What diversions? What areas? What houses?

The quays have a large amount of homes along them, both directly on them and within meters from them. What about their quality if life?

No anger here bud.
    In the OP you want the south quays to be bi directional and the north quays for pedestrians and bikes and buses. It wont work.
    The areas that cars will have to be diverted through in order to get to places that they would have usually got to along the part of the quays that you want to close off to cars.
    So basically you want to do away with the parking along the quays and extend the path on that side? Why?

BenShermin wrote: »
    Yes actually, and while we're at it, pedestrianise Westmoreland and D'Olier Streets and College Green, and push through congestion charges while we're at it. Imagine our very own Las Ramblas on O'Connell Street, filled with bustling coffee and food stands and weekend markets. Imagine Grand Place style events like concerts and weekend festivals taking place on College Green. Instead years of bad planning has left us with a traffic clogged, fume filled dump of a main thoroughfare, it honestly pains me as a proud Dub to call it a dump, but that's what it is.

The part where you say cyclists only care about themselves really irks me, pray tell, what do the people who drive SUVs with no passengers around Dublin care about??

Trying to avoid cyclists breaking lights and swerving in and out of traffic and pedestrians ignoring those little red men at crossings. You have your own Las Ramblas, its called Grafton street. Did you miss the recent events on college green?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Now you're talking.

Why not?

Because the taxi drivers at the rank opposite the Gresham wouldnt allow it and people would get lost looking for the number 7 bus.

Because the taxi drivers at the rank opposite the Gresham wouldnt allow it and people would get lost looking for the number 7 bus.

Luckily, taxi drivers don't get to determine transportation and urban planning policies.

Fair point re public transport. I'd allow them on O'Connell Street, along with the multitudes of pedestrians and cyclists.

Trying to avoid cyclists breaking lights and swerving in and out of traffic and pedestrians ignoring those little red men at crossings.

You have your own Las Ramblas, its called Grafton street. Did you miss the recent events on college green?

Cyclists are traffic.

It's called weaving, by the way, and it's often necessary because the roads are clogged with large numbers of motionless or slow-moving motorised vehicles, many of them carrying a single occupant.

Grafton Street is a piddly little pedestrian area, by European standards.

400m of Grafton Street doesn't compare well to 1.2 km of La Rambla, in my opinion.

La-Rambla_La-Rambla-iconic-street-of-Barcelona_3263.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

No anger here bud.
    In the OP you want the south quays to be bi directional and the north quays for pedestrians and bikes and buses. It wont work.
    The areas that cars will have to be diverted through in order to get to places that they would have usually got to along the part of the quays that you want to close off to cars.
    So basically you want to do away with the parking along the quays and extend the path on that side? Why?

It is a common misconception that the number of cars is some kind of fixed quantity that must be allocated road space accordingly.

In fact one of the things that has been shown to reduce private car traffic is to remove capacity whether in the form of road space or other allocated resources (parking etc).

It would appear that in city centre situations removing road capacity from private motor cars causes those trips to switch to other forms of transport.

It would be a central tenet of Dutch planning that through-traffic is not allowed through town centres.

What does?

You say extra cars dis-improves peoples quality of life. Therefore less cars improves it.

In fact one of the things that has been shown to reduce private car traffic is to remove capacity whether in the form of road space or other allocated resources (parking etc).

True that.

http://www.onestreet.org/images/stories/Disappearing_traffic.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

That first proposal linked previous looks like a disaster. I'm all for cycling lanes on the quays but diverting traffic off the quays and all the way up to Parnell St so it avoids crossing any part of O'Connell Street and then back down Marlborough St or similar to get back down to the river sounds like madness, especially given the volumes of traffic that go down the quays.

It makes sense in any traffic plan that car traffic should flow move as fast as is possible (currently an average of 15kph in the CC). For the flow to be maintained it is important that it continues 'as the crow flies' in order to maintain the already low speed of city center movement. But instead of going straight all the way down the north quays the new route for cars turns to the left four times and turns right 5 times. So now we have 9 extra slow manouvres that cars and delivery trucks would have to make than is currently the case right now. That's 9 extra manovres that tens of thousands of vehicles would have to do instead of just driving in a straight line. I would think that sure a move would cause traffic chaos which would reverberate across the city in no-time. The main reason that the quays work at the moment is that the traffic is reasonably free flowing, if there are 9 turns introduced to the route then it will slow down considerably from an already slow 15kph.

The main problem with cycle lanes along the quays is that there are sections that are so narrow there just isn't the space for two traffic lanes AND a cycle lane. So for cycle lanes to be installed one of the two other main commuting groups (motorists and bus users) are going to have to lose out.

The only other solution I can think of is to build a boardwalk on the south quays running continuously from O'Connell Bridge all the way to Hueston Station. Then dedicate the boardwalk to cyclists only and have two way cycle traffic upon it. The only problem I could see with this is that there are sections where cyclists would have to come off the boardwalk and back onto it every 300 meters as there are bridges. When city bound cycle traffic gets to the end of the Boardwalk at O'Connel Bridge they would obviously have to dismount and walk across as pedestrian crossing before re-mounting, a hassle obviously but at the same time they will have navigated the entire length of the quays without coming in a whiskers breath of a bus, car or truck so not a bad result. Although not perfect it could work and it would be a lot safer than the current situation. Whatever is done it will not be perfect for some group so compromises are going to have to be made- there just isn't enough space on parts of the quays to not compromise.

RATM wrote: »

It makes sense in any traffic plan that car traffic should flow move as fast as is possible.

Should that really be the core objective?

BostonB wrote: »
    You say extra cars dis-improves peoples quality of life. Therefore less cars improves it.

Of course, so the answer would be to leave it alone and not divert traffic from parts of the city centre and add to the traffic on smaller roads .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Of course, so the answer would be to leave it alone and not divert traffic from parts of the city centre and add to the traffic on smaller roads .

But why would you allow traffic to use smaller roads? Do you not think that sounds a bit backward? Surely any smaller side streets should be residents or local access only?

The answer is to remove all traffic...

But why would you allow traffic to use smaller roads? Do you not think that sounds a bit backward? Surely any smaller side streets should be residents or local access only?

Thats my point.

The answer is to remove all traffic...

Ye, i can really see that one working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Trying to avoid cyclists breaking lights and swerving in and out of traffic and pedestrians ignoring those little red men at crossings. You have your own Las Ramblas, its called Grafton street. Did you miss the recent events on college green?

Motorists constantly break lights in the city centre also, and how many motorists can honestly say they've never broken the 30km/h limits?? Until there's proper Garda enforcement on motorists, peds and cyclists these things are not going to change unfortunately.

I don't know if it's coincidental, but in Continental cities where pedestrians and cyclists have a large amount of the city closed off from traffic, the level of obedience at major pedestrian crossings seems imo to be close to 100%. Now that could be down to stricter police enforcement or maybe it's the fact that Continentals, unlike Dubliners, don't have to stop walking every two minutes in "their" cities because they hit a red man at a crossing.

Recent events in College Green were great but there should be events there every weekend. This is impossible without pedestrianisation, Gardaí, Dublin Bus, Dublin City Council and the local businesses in the area all have to work hard together for anything to go ahead on this site. On Grand Place in Brussels all you need is a few stalls two policemen on duty and hey presto, you have a successful beerfest or a flower market. On my last visit to Brussels I got a few cans of beer and went down to Grand Place for a free jazzfest, a great cheap traffic free evening. And before you go on about the weather in Dublin city and scum bags, it rains more in Brussels and petty crime is a lot worse in Brussels than it is in Dublin.

Anyway, back in the real world (outside of my idealistic dreams of a traffic free square in Dublin) I've a rather simplistic idea for a cycleway on the quays. Why can't the red line Luas tracks from Heuston to The Point not become a dedicated public transportway. Trams at there most frequent on the red line are 3.5mins apart afaik. Therefore there's at least 3mins at peak times where Luas tracks are left completely idle. Why not use these minutes wisely and allow buses to use the luas tracks. This is actually quite a regular occurrence in Brussels where at some points in the city buses and trams share the same stations/stops. You could then use the freed up buslane space on the quays for a two way cycle track, simples.

Ye, i can really see that one working.

They closed the main road in the park for months it usually has 20,000 cars a day. The closed Henry Street, they closed Grafton Street.

BenShermin wrote: »
    ....Why can't the red line Luas tracks from Heuston to The Point not become a dedicated public transportway. Trams at there most frequent on the red line are 3.5mins apart afaik. Therefore ...

I don't get why they didn't provide cycle tracks when they were building the luas tracks either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I don't get why they didn't provide cycle tracks when they were building the luas tracks either.

I don't know that it would be possible to find a good route for cycle tracks around Luas stops that would keep cyclists seperated from Luas users.

Most of it is wide enough for a cycle track. Theres only a couple of choke points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Most of it is wide enough for a cycle track. Theres only a couple of choke points.

It's not a question of width, it's a design issue. How do you route a cycle path around a Luas stop with loads of pedestrians. In front of the peds, or behind them (with loads of peds crossing the cycle path) or what?

Lots of countries have trams and high cycle use. I'm sure there workable examples that can be copied.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with the quays being separated between public transport/bicycles and general traffic - obviously some bridges and side streets would need to have flows adjusted too, but I think it is something that could work.

Expanding it to other areas and having the likes of O'Connell Street, College Green, Westmoreland Street pedestrianised, while aesthetically a positive move, wouldn't be something I'd be in favour of from a practical perspective.

All the other cities that I've seen listed as places where it has worked are places where there is a fully functioning metro, tram and/or rail network that go through the heart of the city centre. They are not reliant on buses as the primary mode of transport.

Dublin doesn't have that, and even with the addition of LUAS BXD and the two BRT lines, the bus will remain the dominant form of public transport in the city. For public transport to have any hope of being attractive to users it needs to take them to where they want to go, and for the majority of users that is the city centre, namely O'Connell Street, the Westmoreland Street/D'Olier Street/College Street triangle, Dame Street, and Nassau Street. That is one of the main reasons for LUAS being extended - it will bring people to where they want to go rather than leaving them with a walk from St Stephen's Green.

Diverting buses away from the city centre while aesthetically pleasing would, in my view, destroy any hope of developing the bus network as an attractive product. The reality is that there is no political interest in (nor funds available for) developing other rail, LUAS, or metro routes and as such the bus will remain the dominant form of publc transport in the city. As such it needs to be made as attractive as possible to potential users, and taking them out of the city centre will not do that.

The problem with that way of thinking is people in Dublin have a mindset that you can't get around Dublin except using the car, bus and train. As a result they use cars, buses etc, to take extremely short journeys, and taking as long or longer to do then is possible by walking or cycling.

For example it takes me 15 mins to walk to the train then a 30~40 mins train journey. Then another 15 mins walk to work. I can do the same thing in 40 mins on the bike. The bus takes at least an hour. But you see it at work people waiting 5~10 mins to get a bus into town, which takes 5~10 mins when its a 10~15 min walk at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Are you suggesting that public transport should not take people where they wish to go to?

I've absolutely no objection to people walking/cycling nor any measures encouraging same, but I think there has to be the reality check that the bus is and will remain the dominant form of public transport in the city, and all measures possible that make it more attractive to use rather than the car should be encouraged. That means accessing the city centre.

Advertisement