Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Never finished super metriod , was at the part of ridley and he destroyed me so i left it , I accidentally deleted my wii u name and nintendo said i had to buy the game again

Quite the hassle as it was still installed on my system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Never finished super metriod , was at the part of ridley and he destroyed me so i left it , I accidentally deleted my wii u name and nintendo said i had to buy the game again

Quite the hassle as it was still installed on my system

I was wondering why I was getting another friend request from you! :P

I've been playing a good bit of Arkham Origins this weekend. Man, it's so buggy, but you forgive it all with the crime scene analysis and the actually interesting story (you hear me, Arkham City?) and the beautiful way that they have the snow compact where anyone is walking.

I was wondering why I was getting another friend request from you! :P

I've been playing a good bit of Arkham Origins this weekend. Man, it's so buggy, but you forgive it all with the crime scene analysis and the actually interesting story (you hear me, Arkham City?) and the beautiful way that they have the snow compact where anyone is walking.

Ha Sorry about that :P

what system did you get origins for ? i heard the wii u version is the best from the consoles , might pick up that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was in Eason a few minutes ago with a One for All voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Then I saw this;

2013-10-29170631_zpsd8cd2ed2.jpg

Was going to buy it, but recoiled when I saw the price.

'Almost €15?! Piss off!!!'

Was leafing through it and noticed some pages were upside down. Flipped it around and saw this.

2013-10-29170643_zps7b3ebab0.jpg

'Well played Retrogamer, well played' I've never felt so obliged to buy a magazine in my life :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ha Sorry about that :P

what system did you get origins for ? i heard the wii u version is the best from the consoles , might pick up that

PC. Some of the Steam key sites have it for around €20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Was in Eason a few minutes ago with a One for All voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Then I saw this;

2013-10-29170631_zpsd8cd2ed2.jpg

Was going to buy it, but recoiled when I saw the price.

'Almost €15?! Piss off!!!'

Was leafing through it and noticed some pages were upside down. Flipped it around and saw this.

2013-10-29170643_zps7b3ebab0.jpg

'Well played Retrogamer, well played' I've never felt so obliged to buy a magazine in my life :D

Thats the book I got on the Retro Gamer Magazine App the other week. The one with the top 25 Mega Drive games.

Master of the Universe

I thought that top 25 looked familiar!

My first thought on seeing SOR 2 at number 1 was 'ARGH! THESE EEJITS DON'T THINK IT'S NUMBER 1 TOO DO THEY?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!'

Glad to see it's just confined to the folks at Retrogamer :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought that top 25 looked familiar!

My first thought on seeing SOR 2 at number 1 was 'ARGH! THESE EEJITS DON'T THINK IT'S NUMBER 1 TOO DO THEY?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!'

Glad to see it's just confined to the folks at Retrogamer :D

15 frickin quid!! Christ what a rip off. Good thing you had a voucher.

Actually speaking of the Megadrive, took mine out of storage at the wkend and hooked it up to the Trini. Popped in Sonic and was greeted by nasty blue borders and slow ass music, dear lord PAL is poop. Put it back into storage and hooked the Nomad up instead.

Master of the Universe

Really pricey alright. I bought that, this weeks 2000AD, a packet of nuts and it came to €20 :eek:

No modded MD no? Funnily enough, I was considering buying this earlier. Jap Megadrive with a 50/60hz switch for £20 BIN. Bit of a bargain if you combine it with parcel motel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-50-60Hz-/131033134893?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e822ef72d

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vr7

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think I have lethal enforcers for the MegaCD somewhere, must dog it out, while I still have a TV that can play it!
    Retro games I simply must get back to:
    Formula1 '97,
    SkullMonkeys,
    Perfect Dark,
    Super Metroid,
    Super Mario Land 2

ahhh f1 97. The laughable commentary.
    MW: oooowwwww...its michael schumacher. He's just hit mika hakkinen.
    MB: your right there murray

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

No modded MD no? Funnily enough, I was considering buying this earlier. Jap Megadrive with a 50/60hz switch for £20 BIN. Bit of a bargain if you combine it with parcel motel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-Drive-50-60Hz-/131033134893?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item1e822ef72d

Ugh, what a silly place to put a switch. And no region switch either, still, decent enough for a jap console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Playing shadow of the colossus for the first time!

It's class...

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ugh, what a silly place to put a switch. And no region switch either, still, decent enough for a jap console

Yeah, annoying when you see consoles without the switches hidden. My PAL Saturn is the worst, three switches on the front :rolleyes:

Still, not bad for £20. Probably work out a bit under €30 after postage through Parcel Motel :)

Region switch thingy is just for language (and only works in very few games, SOR games and The Revenge of Shinobi from the top of my head), fairly sure you can get around all of the region locks with just the 50/60hz one.

It's class...

Such a good game. I only got around to playing it myself 3-4 years ago. Feel like a right eejit for not buying it on release. I remember playing it briefly on a ps2 kiosk in Gamestop but not really thinking enough of it to buy a copy. What a fool I was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Well been playing Sonic Wings most of the week on the SNES and I've came to the conclusion I'm a bit crap at this genre.
    Tried out Skyblazer next, was watching an auction which unfortunately spiralled out of control, and wa enjoying it until I came to the pseudo side scrolling shooter stage!
    Ah no it's easy as piss and that stage is kinda like Kid Icarus on the nes. Hie bit of variation in the levels though with a cool tree leaf stage, a rotating tower kinda like in Castlevania and the shooter stage inside the first 5 levels.
    Powers ups as well which also give some slight bits of fun. Decent game I never heard of before.

Really pricey alright. I bought that, this weeks 2000AD, a packet of nuts and it came to €20 :eek:

I paid 7.99 Euro on the Retro Gamer app on the iPad. Not the same as having a hard copy but it does the job when you want it asap.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Well been playing Sonic Wings most of the week on the SNES and I've came to the conclusion I'm a bit crap at this genre.
    Tried out Skyblazer next, was watching an auction which unfortunately spiralled out of control, and wa enjoying it until I came to the pseudo side scrolling shooter stage!
    Ah no it's easy as piss and that stage is kinda like Kid Icarus on the nes. Hie bit of variation in the levels though with a cool tree leaf stage, a rotating tower kinda like in Castlevania and the shooter stage inside the first 5 levels.
    Powers ups as well which also give some slight bits of fun. Decent game I never heard of before.

Have you played shmups much? I didn't get the genre for years, but with a bit of practice it opens up and there are so many amazing games. Instantly accessible yet many of them are incredibly deep with their scoring mechanisms. Definitely one to stick out. Just have to find the right games.
    Steve SI wrote: »
    I paid 7.99 Euro on the Retro Gamer app on the iPad. Not the same as having a hard copy but it does the job when you want it asap.

That's fairly pricey for a digital copy of something. I have a bit of a soft spot when it comes to printed media of stuff I'm interested in. Full cover Snes console and full reverse cover of a Megadrive? Was sold on that alone, never mind the content!

That's fairly pricey for a digital copy of something. I have a bit of a soft spot when it comes to printed media of stuff I'm interested in. Full cover Snes console and full reverse cover of a Megadrive? Was sold on that alone, never mind the content!

Yeah, It's usually €4.49 per issue on the app and the specials are €7.99.
    Still cheaper than the physical magazine but you only get the digital copy of it, which as you say isn't the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Skyblazer is great fun and a rare good game from Sony Imagesoft. It was also the first SNES game to do the mode 7 eyeball boss that every other SNES seemed to copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It's class...

Great game, nice juxtaposition in the elation of beating the colossi and then watching the innocent beastie die :(

• Advertisement

Have you played shmups much? I didn't get the genre for years, but with a bit of practice it opens up and there are so many amazing games. Instantly accessible yet many of them are incredibly deep with their scoring mechanisms. Definitely one to stick out. Just have to find the right games.

Ah yeah I haven't played it much but I've tried to play it more so in the last few months.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Skyblazer is great fun and a rare good game from Sony Imagesoft. It was also the first SNES game to do the mode 7 eyeball boss that every other SNES seemed to copy.

It's a sony game? Didn't realise that.

Master of the Universe

Great game, nice juxtaposition in the elation of beating the colossi and then watching the innocent beastie die :(

That's one of the best things about that game, the feeling it gives you that you've destroyed something of great significance. Something long from the past that you can't quite understand, but you feel it's important - and you just destroyed it.

Kind of something similar to those videos of the Taliban blowing up the Buddhas of Bamiyan!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved that game, I got it at launch but took a few years tipping away at it to finish it, I guess I could have moved quicker but it was better that way.
    Ico, on the other hand, I clattered through that, a magnificent game it was and still is.
    Oddly enough, I bought the HD remastered versions for the PS3 but have never played it, and it sits there unplayed some 2 years later, don't think I'll ever get to it either... strange that....

Master of the Universe

Some game are so immense and so great on their first playthrough, I don't think it needs another playthrough.

ICO and SOTC are like that for me. I've great memories of playing them and they're among my favourite games, but I've never had the urge to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Some game are so immense and so great on their first playthrough, I don't think it needs another playthrough.

ICO and SOTC are like that for me. I've great memories of playing them and they're among my favourite games, but I've never had the urge to go back.

I got this issue with ICO. I was well into it at one stage, and my PS2 copy, having being bought in ragged order, just went entirely plop; having to re-do that, despite not taking that long, just seems like an unholy slog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Yeah it almost seems to tragic to be putting them down!

I have a copy of Okami there im gonna get into at the weekend too...

Another classic I missed out on at launch that Im only getting around to playing now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I got this issue with ICO. I was well into it at one stage, and my PS2 copy, having being bought in ragged order, just went entirely plop; having to re-do that, despite not taking that long, just seems like an unholy slog.

I kinda did that already, with SotC.
    I have so many PS2 memory cards, or rather did, and they were randomly distributed about the house, so I lost my save game, about halfways through.
    So, as a result, I went back to it and started again.
    If I might say, and in contrary to my earlier position, it was still enjoyable the second time, but the prospect was somewhat daunting.
    Might throw myself back into the fray one of these days.
    I surprised myself with Ico though, only getting into the early stages of the game, of just how many solutions I had forgotten, sitting there, head scratching, wondering how to do it and only feeling more miserable knowing I had conquered that room/castle/temple before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So Terranigma seems like a really really nice game so far. Gonna call a halt to play though until I get some form of scaler, the beautiful graphics look horrible on a flat panel without one :(

Pocky and Rocky the last few days and I'm liking it quite a bit. Check prices on line and see that's its expensive, stupidly so.
    Think I'm just going to get an everdrive or sd2snes. Had like 14 watched items today go way over my top bid and I had even raised my bids by a bit more than usual.
    Even the NTSC stuff can go for massive amounts. Like Metroid going for a $100!
    Will prices ever come down?

Master of the Universe

I went to pick up Pulseman today. Last time I checked (was probably 2 - 3 years ago) you could have it for about €60. My jaw was on the floor when I saw what it's going for now.

I then decided to look up some other MD games - Eliminate down was one of the expensive ones back then, used to be about €200. There are ended auctions now for over twice that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eliminate-Down-Sega-Mega-Drive-Complete-THE-REAL-DEAL-Super-Nice-/231075493221?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35cd2c3565&nma=true&si=bvuva8C7%252BEwiJbarT4w%252FIxDXQiQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

So yeah, I can't see prices coming down soon. Our little hobby is getting more and more expensive by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

just started metal gear solid for vita on ps1 titles section of the shop so i can finally give it a go.

problem is the sound seems to be off a goodbit during the voice over screens. Kinda echoy and crackly. Very annoying.

Any known fixes?

other than that lookin forward to givin it shot.

Just did a bit of googling. Its a known problem but doesn't seem to be being fixed! Typical.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Have you never played through it no? Lucky sod! One of my favourite games ever. Probably the game I've finished the most times.

I finished resident evil again for the ps1 and messed up on barry since I forgot How to save him :L

also have 2 more bosses to beat for megaman x2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Have you never played through it no? Lucky sod! One of my favourite games ever. Probably the game I've finished the most times.

Only got to start it years ago before getting distracted by the other games I mentioned. That and probably goin out drinkin in a field or somethin.

Anyway bottom line is I didn't play it back then and now that the sound is ****ed on the vita version it looks like I'm destined to wait till I buy a ps1 copy.

I'm just finding of late if I play a game on vita there's a very good chance ill pick it up and play more often than bothering to turn on a console. Yes I am that lazy.

Master of the Universe

A mate picked up a couple of games for me the other day, Mario All Stars and Pilot Wings (boxed).

My copy of All Stars is in storage, so nice to have another one to play at the moment. Original battery still works - currently playing through Mario 2 with the missus.

Pilot Wings - one game I have no played since it was released. Jeez is it a product of it's time. Has not aged well at all unfortunately! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pilot Wings - one game I have no played since it was released. Jeez is it a product of it's time. Has not aged well at all unfortunately! :(

I still love it. Takes a while to figure the controls but once you do you start to really enjoy it.

Master of the Universe

I still love it. Takes a while to figure the controls but once you do you start to really enjoy it.

So there's a game in there and it's not just a mode 7 demo? Maybe I'll stick it out a bit more so.

I played through the first couple of sections but it just seemed to be really repetitive and dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have a love/hate relationship with the SNES version - equal parts compelling and frustrating. 64 is a masterpiece though, with the tech to truly realise its potential. One series Id love to see a proper new version of (in other words: **** you, Resort).

Played F-Zero Gx for the first time a few days ago after picking up a copy in the RAGE. Been on my list for years. I have always heard how fast and difficult it is, but Christ :eek: Miracle coding in action: that GameCube was a damn capable machine.

Played F-Zero Gx for the first time a few days ago after picking up a copy in the RAGE. Been on my list for years. I have always heard how fast and difficult it is, but Christ :eek: Miracle coding in action: that GameCube was a damn capable machine.

I'll happily say that it's the finest racing game I've ever played. It's just wonderful and unfortunately probably the last Sega arcade style racing game we'll ever see (not that burnout or Sega All Star series are bad either).

It was made using the Super Monkey Ball engine if you can believe that.

What I like about the game is that it doesn't seem to have the cheating AI that is so prominent in most arcade racers or at least disguises it well.

The lightning half-pipe level is absolute hell in arcade racing form. Such a tough level to survive let alone do well in.

I have a love/hate relationship with the SNES version - equal parts compelling and frustrating. 64 is a masterpiece though, with the tech to truly realise its potential. One series Id love to see a proper new version of (in other words: **** you, Resort).

The N64 game was, and is, a lovely lovely game, the framerate issues fade into the background as you hurl yourself down an arctic cliff in a hang glider, or search for fuel stations around a mini USofA.
    The 3DS game was really disappointing, with just that lousy Resort Island alright.
    Maybe the WiiU will host a proper update, fingers crossed!

I never got into the mode7 delights of the Snes edition, though I have it for the last few years, after playing the N64 on first, it seems a bit M'eh.

I suppose the true update to the spirit of the franchise is the likes of Sky Odyssey on the PS2, Wing Island on the Wii and maybe even a bit of Crimson Skies on the Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Crazy Climber....

Had never heard of it until about 2 days ago. Very addictive. The novel factor of this game is you have to use two joysticks to control the man (one joystick for each of his arms).

Difficult as bugger so far! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Mappy, and i am feckin addicted, its shockin. great game

Master of the Universe

God damn it!

So I got my new PSP, really beautiful unused condition - and it's a 2000 too which I've never seen before. Felt flimsy at first but now that I have it switched on, the weight feels great. Makes the 1000 model feel far too heavy.

Anyway, went to play Gunhound EX, the reason I rebought a PSP. Stick in the UMD, get all fired up - need to do a firmware update. Fair enough. Connect up the charger, leave it to charge.

Come back later, try to do update again, once again it says my battery doesn't have enough charge :confused:

As it turns out, these PSP batteries seem to die off if you leave them in a console, unused for years. So I've to wait now for another one to be delivered before I can play my game. All because of a firmware update :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Will not play off the charger ? The old fat one did, although it had a real power supply instead of a ickle USB one.

Master of the Universe

The console runs off the charger yeah. But the game won't play until the new firmware is installed and it won't install the new firmware until the battery has a certain % charge.

Talk about an annoying scenario :D

Just custom firmware it. Much better playing off the card anyway in terms of load times and battery usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Crash Bandicoot 2, one of the earliest games I played on the playstation 1 and so there's nostalgia mixed in with platforming heaven.

I never enjoyed the Crash series all that much, though I can appreciate the technical achievement.
    I think Super Mario 64 owned that generation, everything else was an also ran.

Crash 1 and 2 were ok but 3 was really good.

Master of the Universe

Just custom firmware it. Much better playing off the card anyway in terms of load times and battery usage.

Did that with my last one and yeah, the load times and battery usage was great.

However it kind of killed the console for me. Keeping this one stock for the moment just to play a couple of legit games I'm thinking about picking up.

• Advertisement

Did that with my last one and yeah, the load times and battery usage was great.

However it kind of killed the console for me. Keeping this one stock for the moment just to play a couple of legit games I'm thinking about picking up.

I usually make backups from my own games and only have one or two on there. Just makes more sense since I finally custom firmwared it.

Advertisement