Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fee to charge for building a website for someone?

Options
  • 11-10-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I have to build a website for a guy setting up his own company. He has asked me to build a website for him. The site is medium size with a store to buy products so there is a good bit of work on that.

What do you think I should charge him for building the site?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How many hours will it take? What's an hour of your time worth? A * B = C

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lots and lots and lots of useful stuff already on this subject:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=23&query=how+much+to+charge

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

If you are unsure what to charge then you are probably new to this (without being offensive).

There are ways to stagnate delivery and development to ensure you don't get ripped off.

Also be very mindful of scope creep, where the requests for changes seem never ending. Make sure you don't get hoodwinked by this.

Is the client a friend or family?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does he have a plan for maintenance? Or is just a build and that's all? No later updates on products, images or such? Will he maintain it himself through some admin interface?

Will you build from scratch or build around some off the shelf product?

+1 on scope creep. Don't start coding until every little design bit is agreed upon on paper and signed off on by him.
    Any changes after sign off will have to be changed at a later second release (more money for you yay).
    Once specs are perfectly clear the coding is actually the quick bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

If you have to ask this question, the answer is "very little"

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

declan0872 wrote: »
    I have to build a website for a guy setting up his own company. He has asked me to build a website for him. The site is medium size with a store to buy products so there is a good bit of work on that.

Oh god. Did they ask for "a fairly standard website and add a shopping cart to it"? Because if they did, I have to warn you, e-commerce sites are a little bit more complicated than that and can suck up a lot of time, especially if it's your first time setting one up.

Look into Shopify, it's $30 a month subscription, whatever that is in €, and gives you a fully-featured cart with custom design and takes 95% of the pain out of the process.

Alternatively, you're looking at something like Magento, which is very good, but takes serious work to set up. Shopping sites take a lot of time.

Advertisement