Need a bit of direction - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2012, 17:40   #1
daniels.ducks

Need a bit of direction

Hi people,

Never been to the gym before but am planning on starting in the next month. I am 18, 6 foot 4 and a half and weigh 12 stone 1 pound. I want to put up a stone in weight by next april maybe.
So what I was wondering is that is this possible, and where should I start? Should I buy a tub of protein? If so what would ye recommend? Also what should I be doing in the gym? I don't want to get 'slow' and top heavy like some of the lads I play football with. I just want to put on a bit of weight so I can compete with the other lads and won't be thrown around the place. It's football that i'm playing by the way.
Advertisement
18-07-2012, 18:28   #2
gerryg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels.ducks View Post
Hi people,

Never been to the gym before but am planning on starting in the next month. I am 18, 6 foot 4 and a half and weigh 12 stone 1 pound. I want to put up a stone in weight by next april maybe.
So what I was wondering is that is this possible, and where should I start? Should I buy a tub of protein? If so what would ye recommend? Also what should I be doing in the gym? I don't want to get 'slow' and top heavy like some of the lads I play football with. I just want to put on a bit of weight so I can compete with the other lads and won't be thrown around the place. It's football that i'm playing by the way.
First thing i would advise would be to read the sticky in the fitness forum link. Some really good info there.

Secondly i would say to ask your coach, strength and conditioning is an integral part GAA now, and most teams have some sort of program for their players made out.

Failing the above i would take a look at Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" book, and get from instruction from someone into how to do the exercises.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion