Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Greater London Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Thanks, I asked the bank since posting and aside from having to use their exchange rate, the other charge is a transaction fee of 1.75%.

So 2c on every € spent on transport. I also understand from TfL that you will get only one daily transaction taken from your card. They tally up at the end of the daym so it will 1.75% of your days travel. Finally, you get the same rates and caps as oyster.

All well and good on paper (and the web) but has anyone done this in real life?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

Why are you looking to go to Camden in the first place? Lots of decent pubs near Covent Garden.

Thabks for tge reply

We were told camden town is a lively spot

But will happily stay around covent garden.
    Is it true the pubs around there close at 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

O'Neill's near Leicester Square is 3am closing if you still haven't enough drank at midnight! Although there can be a queue after 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I'm moving to a new place in London and I have a large suitcase and an additional fragile item to take with me. The Bus / rail and sail doesn't look like it will work.

I was hoping I might be able to sync up with someone who's driving over, or even go with a truck driver who has a bit of room to spare. I would of course expect to pay for the privilege and contribute to fuel costs.

It's a shot in the dark, but is anyone driving over any time soon, or is there some resource or ride sharing website out there that might be worth checking out?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

lxflyer wrote: »
    There would be extra charges as each trip will be treated as a separate transaction.

So don't do it!

I think they just put the whole days travel through as one transaction at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think they just put the whole days travel through as one transaction at the end of the day.

Even still though - that makes no sense when compared with using a normal Oyster card.

You're just incurring extra bank charges unnecessarily.

Yes, but if you are only there for a weekend, you do not have to buy an oyster card or have an credit left over that you will never use. This is the advantage I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Yes, but if you are only there for a weekend, you do not have to buy an oyster card or have an credit left over that you will never use. This is the advantage I think.

Would you NEVER go back???

I go to London four or five times a year and always have some credit on my Oyster card.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Would you NEVER go back???

I go to London four or five times a year and always have some credit on my Oyster card.

Meh, I live in Bray, it has all I need. I go to London if I have to, otherwise what is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Asking this for an American friend, who is planning a quickie junket to London from Dublin.

What are the best transport options to get to Central London from Stansted Airport? She hasn't booked her hotel yet, so don't know precisely what part of London she is heading for.

Bus? Train? How long is the trip? I've googled the prices on the Stanstead Express, but I'd like some on the ground info. Are there any particular pros and cons of going to London via Standsted. Is the train reliable? The airfare savings are substantial, compared to going via Heathrow or Gatwick.

At work. Can't do a proper search meself.

Ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've taken the Stansted Express before and found it really handy. It's a lot more comfortable than the tube. Takes about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I avoid Heathrow now, the other London airports are cheaper and less busy, and it doesn't really take any longer to get into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale - Get the Victoria Line tube then from there to Oxford Circus/Green Park/Victoria.

You could get the Express to Liverpool Street too but it's more expensive and no advantage really time-wise since the Victoria Line is so fast anyway from Tottenham Hale.

It takes about 25 mins to Tottenham Hale - 40 mins to Liverpool Street (feels like forever though).

The train is very reliable. I've never had issues with it for time or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Train station is below the airport. 2 minute walk, regular trains. There is a direct train that is quicker or the cheuchter train that stops everywhere and takes a bit longer. I think I paid 12 pounds in the airport last time but I wasn't going right in.

Highly recommend the train. Comfortable, reliable and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Asking this for an American friend, who is planning a quickie junket to London from Dublin.

What are the best transport options to get to Central London from Stansted Airport? She hasn't booked her hotel yet, so don't know precisely what part of London she is heading for.

Bus? Train? How long is the trip? I've googled the prices on the Stanstead Express, but I'd like some on the ground info. Are there any particular pros and cons of going to London via Standsted. Is the train reliable? The airfare savings are substantial, compared to going via Heathrow or Gatwick.

At work. Can't do a proper search meself.

Ta.

There was the private company Terravision which ran buses every hour or so into Victoria station or Kings cross, it was cheaper that the Stansted Express if I remember correctly. I haven't taken it in years though.

The journey is about 45-60 mins and if your friend can get a window seat on the left hand side of the bus they will enjoy some great views coming into the city alongside the Thames.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

miezekatze wrote: »
    I've taken the Stansted Express before and found it really handy. It's a lot more comfortable than the tube. Takes about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I avoid Heathrow now, the other London airports are cheaper and less busy, and it doesn't really take any longer to get into the city.

Tube does not go to Stansted, but is extremely reliable from Heathrow but quite crowded depending on time of day. Take to Earls Court with easy connections to other parts of london.

Have used the Stansted Express several times, very handy and frequent to either Tottenham Hale or Liverpool Street.

London City may also be an option, but will require connections into Central London starting off with the DLR through East London, and The Docklands area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

rojito wrote: »
    There was the private company Terravision which ran buses every hour or so into Victoria station or Kings cross, it was cheaper that the Stansted Express if I remember correctly. I haven't taken it in years though.

The journey is about 45-60 mins and if your friend can get a window seat on the left hand side of the bus they will enjoy some great views coming into the city alongside the Thames.

I use this coach most times I fly to London. Good bit cheaper than the train (unless you book the train over a month in advance). They have a service to Victoria/Liverpool st. or to Stratford tube station and there's one of these services every half hour. Time to Liverpool st is only 10 min more than train and it's comfortable and the price is fixed whether you buy in advance or when you arrive.
    I personally get the service to Stratford. It's £6 each way and takes 40/45mins and if you need to get into central London it's only a few stops on the central line from Stratford station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Stansted Express is very good but pricey unless you book well in advance. £30 return versus half that if you can plan ahead. I use the bus if I can't get the advance fare and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks a million folks. Lots of good info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks a million folks. Lots of good info there.

The Stanstead Express is great and it's very frequent and reliable and the trains are nice... the only real gripe people have with it as I do I is the price... you can get good deals or should I say better deals online if you are travelling with a companion they call it the 'duo' fare from memory..

If it's a junket is that referring to something work related ? I'd so and the company would pick up the tab I'd go with the Stanstead Express all the way for speed and comfort..

Others have covered off the bus options but I'd add to that in my experience when I have used the buses and depending what time of day you hit London the journey can vary from 60 mins or so to 90 mins (published time is 75 mins with Terravision) if traffic is really ****ty which happened once so if time is a factor maybe that should be considered...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Terravision no longer operate to/from Stansted, they were denied access by the airport some time ago. The service they advertise on their website is for tickets on the Citylink service. They offer no discount so there is no reason to use them, I'd rather a ticket with the actual operator in case of disruption.

2 operators currently run bus services Stansted - London.

http://www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk/

2 routes to Kings Cross and Victoria

http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/stansted-airport.aspx

A6 route - Stansted to Portman Square - 43 journeys a day, calling at: Golders Green, Finchley Road, St. John’s Wood, Baker Street, Paddington, Marble Arch and Portman Square.

A7 route - Stansted to Victoria Coach Station - 72 journeys a day, calling at: Southwark, Waterloo, Victoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station.

A8 route - Stansted to Bethnal Green - 50 journeys a day, calling at: Bow Church, Mile End, Whitechapel, Liverpool Street, Shoreditch High Street, Bethnal Green.

A9 route - 45 journeys a day from Stansted to London Stratford, direct travel in just 50 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Probably been asked a million times but here it is again...

Anyone recommend a hotel that caters for a family of 5? Relatively central if possible?

Have looked at Airbnb but like the convenience of hotels. Even an alternative letting website to airbnb.

Heading over at the end of August for 3 nights.

Thanks.

mfceiling wrote: »

Anyone recommend a hotel that caters for a family of 5? Relatively central if possible?

Have looked at Airbnb but like the convenience of hotels. Even an alternative letting website to airbnb.

Thanks.

Hi we are using the YHA. They are central, clean, have staff on site and have very high standards. Most if not all have family rooms and on site catering. Have a look.

Wally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Terravision no longer operate to/from Stansted, they were denied access by the airport some time ago. The service they advertise on their website is for tickets on the Citylink service. They offer no discount so there is no reason to use them, I'd rather a ticket with the actual operator in case of disruption.

2 operators currently run bus services Stansted - London.

http://www.stanstedcitylink.co.uk/

2 routes to Kings Cross and Victoria

http://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/stansted-airport.aspx

A6 route - Stansted to Portman Square - 43 journeys a day, calling at: Golders Green, Finchley Road, St. John’s Wood, Baker Street, Paddington, Marble Arch and Portman Square.

A7 route - Stansted to Victoria Coach Station - 72 journeys a day, calling at: Southwark, Waterloo, Victoria Rail Station and Victoria Coach Station.

A8 route - Stansted to Bethnal Green - 50 journeys a day, calling at: Bow Church, Mile End, Whitechapel, Liverpool Street, Shoreditch High Street, Bethnal Green.

A9 route - 45 journeys a day from Stansted to London Stratford, direct travel in just 50 minutes.
    I'm heading to London on Thursday (into Heathrow out of Stansted) so thanks so much for this post as Terra is the one I usually go for, really appreciate it.

Can I ask for like food recommendations on here or do I go onto another thread, don't want be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can I ask for like food recommendations on here or do I go onto another thread, don't want be annoying.

Wahaca or Polpo are both very nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Hey guys heading to London for a 3 day getaway in september and need a few tips

Im bringing a baby who will be 3 months does she need a reservation

First baby so new to travelling with them :o

Has anyone any advice where to stay

Its going to be a budget holiday as Ive my funds going towards my big trip to Latin america in december :D

So Id love some help regards booking a place in London

I usually stay in hostels not sure thats a option anymore :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Are you Ryanair-ing? Babies go free if they're on your lap: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#9-8

Maybe try Airbnb - not everyone in a shared hostel room would appreciate a baby (shouldn't have to be like that, but that's how the world is).

Perhaps this thread should be merged into the London megathread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055517217

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hostel with a baby doesn't sound fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OP, is there a reason for going to London with the baby, maybe family or that?

I only ask because London is uber expensive for what you get. Have you considered somewhere in Spain for instance. They love kids and you can have the baby with you in restaurants until all hours. Very cheap too compared to London.

But maybe you have your heart set on it, or even have the flights booked!

There is no such thing as cheap accommodation in London I'm afraid. You just have to keep trying Bookings, or Hotels, or Trivago etc. and hope you'll get a price to suit you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

OP, is there a reason for going to London with the baby, maybe family or that?

I only ask because London is uber expensive for what you get. Have you considered somewhere in Spain for instance. They love kids and you can have the baby with you in restaurants until all hours. Very cheap too compared to London.

But maybe you have your heart set on it, or even have the flights booked!

There is no such thing as cheap accommodation in London I'm afraid. You just have to keep trying Bookings, or Hotels, or Trivago etc. and hope you'll get a price to suit you.

Pretty much my wife is from Argentina and always wanted to go to London,

I myself have never been there even though it's on my door step

So figured I'd do it before I go back to college

I kinda knew about the prices, but feck it were going to do it 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I live in London and have a 16 week old.

Bring a sling - the tube is crap for buggies. Very few lifts and lots of stairs.

Consider staying out a bit - the Premier Inns in Wembley or Archway would be a bit cheaper than central London but are well connected.

Ryanair isn't free for lap babies - I've checked a few times for flights to Ireland and you still have to pay taxes and charges, which makes it almost as expensive as a full adult fare.

Avoid rush hour at all costs with a baby, it will be a deeply unpleasant experience.

Advertisement