Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel, Diesel EVERYWHERE !!!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just divide 282.5 by the l/100km figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Just checked that website, I got the US MPG value not the UK one. Long live the metric system!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    Just checked that website, I got the US MPG value not the UK one. Long live the metric system!
    uwrlrz5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

The link i posted? As per Muppercheck - it gives me 282.4809363 mpg

might be some defaults i have overridden with having visited the page below.. there is an option on right for Destination Unit, set to miles per gallon uk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Yeah I'm currently in work which routes through an American VPN so that is probably why Google gave me the US MPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have a new Audi A3 TFSI myself and checked the average fuel consumption there this morning and got 6.5l per 100km (36 43 MPG). Driving to work I would have a lot of stopping and going so I don't think it is too bad?

Second that. I don't care the slightest about fuel consumption, if I did I would drive a diesel Skoda Fabia, but the last time I checked the 159's fuel usage on a mixed trip it was around 11 Km/l (it's time to move to metric, folks!); It was on a nice bendy road where I...well let's say "gave her plenty", the car weighs nearly 1700 kg plus the JTS technology is over 10 years old and never was exactly fuel efficient.

A newer petrol engine with more "average" driving can easily do better than that.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    Is it me, or does the exhaust from newer turbodiesels reek with a chemical stink that could not be healthy, and will cause big trouble one of these days? My theory is that they're blowing orders-of-magnitude more carcinogens and what-have-you like aldehydes, which aren't even tested for given the current obsession with CO2.

Yes they do, but it's not too much of a recent thing nor limited to specific cars - I used to notice it from time to time and I suspect it might be connected to fuel treatment/additives.

Funny fact: Italy has probably an even bigger love affair with diesel cars than Ireland has; A few years ago, news started spreading that a certain type of cooking oil could be used to "stretch" diesel fuel.
    The result of this was that, for quite some time, traffic jams smelled like a chipper's skip!

Advertisement