Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo - Opinions

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Shred wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 2.0L 2011 Titanium X that ticks all the boxes except one - mileage; there's 134,553Kms on it but the pricing is commensurate as a result - it does look fairly clean (I'll be seeing it in the flesh shortly) but would this kind of mileage be a concern?

It also has a keyless entry/start and I've been told these can be problematic on Mondeos, does anyone have experience of this and is it expensive to repair?

The fact that its in kilometres makes the mileage sound high

In reality - its just over 84,000 miles - and if the price is right I don't think that's excessive at all.

Especially if the cars well maintained and in very good condition.

Can't help with the keyless entry though - but the mileage wouldn't put me off especially if the car has a service history.

Corolla outside came to our family at 2 and a half years old with 78,000 miles.

It was ex company too - best car we eve had - reliability wise

Obviously modern diesels aren't as good BUT I don't think that going for one with 50,000 miles over one with twice that - alters the reliability risk significantly.

In fact you could argue that a car with 100 k miles may have had work done with the previous - that a 50,000 mile car would need under YOUR ownership (because it hasn't done the miles).

Of course it doesn't always work like that - but a higher mileage car SHOULD be able to be bought cheaper due to having higher miles.

So yes 84,000 miles should be fine if the cars in decent order.

Others may argue differently though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Lovely, thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Shred wrote: »
    I'm looking at a 2.0L 2011 Titanium X that ticks all the boxes except one - mileage; there's 134,553Kms on it but the pricing is commensurate as a result - it does look fairly clean (I'll be seeing it in the flesh shortly) but would this kind of mileage be a concern?

It also has a keyless entry/start and I've been told these can be problematic on Mondeos, does anyone have experience of this and is it expensive to repair?

Ive never seen keyless entry give trouble on the mondeo focus gave a bit of trouble but that was a totaly different system altogether.

Cheers but I missed out on the car as it was sold yesterday evening. The search continues!

So I got sorted yesterday evening - a 2.0 TDCI 140 BHP Titanium Mondeo, brought by the dealer directly to my garage to be checked out, he provided a Cartell report also and it all checked out. Automatic wipers/lights, electric front/rear windows, cruise control, bluetooth phone, Sony DAB stereo, dual climate control, 17" 5x2 alloys, front and rear parking sensors, black pinstripe upholstery with electronically adjustable front seats, keyless entry/start, powerfold mirrors, heated windscreen, auto dimming rearview mirror, 7 logged services since birth etc etc. 90,000 miles on the clock though! It's due for NCT in January but the dealer will organise it for July and says he will stand over anything that comes out of it too. We did a deal yesterday evening and I have to say I'm absolutely delighted with it! I've attached a couple of pics also. Happy birthday to me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well wear Shred!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I am looking at one of these. Would you go with the 1.6 or 2.0? Not a boy racer but don't want to be underpowered passing out on 2 lane road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I am looking at one of these. Would you go with the 1.6 or 2.0? Not a boy racer but don't want to be underpowered passing out on 2 lane road.

Can't really say, seeing as no one has test driven one. But it's more or less the same size, bulky car as the predecessor so I'd be veering towards the 2 litre. Don't know if the engine power is the same as the current one, which if it is, the 2l would be the best bet.

The general consensus here and from others I spoke with was that, given the choice, the 2.0 was the only way to go. Having driven one for a number of months I would agree; the fuel econmony is unreal and there's plenty of poke in it too.

• Advertisement

2.0 all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'm getting approx 790 miles to a tank (58 litres) with steady 60-70mph driving for 30-45min journeys and some runs in around town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Im finding it hard to get my hands on a 2008 ZETEC TDCI... changed choice to petrol and theres quite a few in my price range. Is the 1.6 petrol mondeo of that era any good? according to a few websites, it should return about 40MPG? my commute is balbriggan - tallaght on m50 each day

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You won't get 40mpg from that engine. The Mondeo is a big and heavy car, the 1.6 litre engine struggles at times just shifting it about so expect low 30s mpg at best.

Morpheus wrote: »
    Im finding it hard to get my hands on a 2008 ZETEC TDCI... changed choice to petrol and theres quite a few in my price range. Is the 1.6 petrol mondeo of that era any good? according to a few websites, it should return about 40MPG? my commute is balbriggan - tallaght on m50 each day

They are not really a very nice car to drive very sluggish and under powered.

You would be better off saving your pennys and get the diesel its a far nicer car and if you can at all go for the 2.0 far nicer car than both the petrol and 1.8 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If you don't jusify a diesel than look at the 2.0 petrol. Not as plentiful as the 1.6 but its superior to it.

Advertisement