Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Technicians Students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Emma1980 wrote: »
    Just glanced at the FA1 paper as it's uploaded now (i'm on year 2) and good god, there was an awful lot in it!! Never seen so much theory ever!! Very unlike last years paper that i done!

I thought that alright, so much for practicing past exam papers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My feeling is they were trying to weed out the people who don't really understand what all the elements are, that just know how to do the calculations. Ugh I dunno it was very odd. The bank rec thing was really annoying the way they did it - how were we meant to know what was right? I did that part then with 5 minutes to go I decided I wasn't happy with it at all so changed and did all the types of errors

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

Just glanced at the FA1 paper as it's uploaded now (i'm on year 2) and good god, there was an awful lot in it!! Never seen so much theory ever!! Very unlike last years paper that i done!

Just hearing you say that makes me feel better! I felt like a thick today after doing it. I really found it hard to understand the approach of the questions competely threw me, still can't assess how I done after viewing it again, hopefully I done enough to pass.

My feeling is they were trying to weed out the people who don't really understand what all the elements are, that just know how to do the calculations. Ugh I dunno it was very odd. The bank rec thing was really annoying the way they did it - how were we meant to know what was right? I did that part then with 5 minutes to go I decided I wasn't happy with it at all so changed and did all the types of errors

That's a good point actually, pity they couldn't wait till 2015 to do their weeding...:)

wilddarts wrote: »
    That's a good point actually, pity they couldn't wait till 2015 to do their weeding...:)

If only.... the problem with so much theory in FA is that its how the information is interpreted. In a real life setting you could seek clarity but in an exam setting when they use a different method of layout or wording than what has been done before in past papers, sample papers or even the book gives our year a disadvantage. It just seems a bit sucky that your ability to decipher this new approach is what your really being tested on.... like seriously that bank rec!!?:confused: Obviously the whole FA ethos of 'Consistency' and 'Comparability' doesn't apply to ATI exams!:D

• Advertisement

If only.... the problem with so much theory in FA is that its how the information is interpreted. In a real life setting you could seek clarity but in an exam setting when they use a different method of layout or wording than what has been done before in past papers, sample papers or even the book gives our year a disadvantage. It just seems a bit sucky that your ability to decipher this new approach is what your really being tested on.... like seriously that bank rec!!?:confused:Obviously the whole FA ethos of 'Consistency' and 'Comparability' doesn't apply to ATI exams!:D

Haahah, I'm fairly sure there's not many Financial Accounting jokes, but that's a good one. Deserves a meme.

If only.... the problem with so much theory in FA is that its how the information is interpreted. In a real life setting you could seek clarity but in an exam setting when they use a different method of layout or wording than what has been done before in past papers, sample papers or even the book gives our year a disadvantage. It just seems a bit sucky that your ability to decipher this new approach is what your really being tested on.... like seriously that bank rec!!?:confused: Obviously the whole FA ethos of 'Consistency' and 'Comparability' doesn't apply to ATI exams!:D

Absolutely - I spent way too much time trying to figure out what they were looking for, exams are allegedly supposed to give you a chance to show what you know not try and trick you!

Haahah, I'm fairly sure there's not many Financial Accounting jokes, but that's a good one. Deserves a meme.

lol! I spent all last night learning the qualitative characteristics of FA.... I'm glad I found some use for them anyhoo!:p

So have either of my fellow First Yearer's any suggestions on getting in some last minute BM revision for tomorrow? After yesterday it feels like I might aswell throw the past exam papers out the window, what a waste of time, paper and ink. I think I'll just get in a few recorded lectures on Knowledge Point, might give me some fresh info or ideas for tomorrow?????

Actually, scrap that idea, Touchpoint is down for maintenance, back to the book so........ZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZ

Can't help I'm afraid, I am seriously unprepared - only leading leadership theories for first time now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

How did anyone doin FA2 find the paper?
    I made big balls out of AFA paper last Monday. I'm literally counting on questions 2,3 & 5 to get me the pass mark. I picked question 4 over 6, it looked easier at the first glance but after 15mins doing it I got stuck and regretted my choice but it was too late to switch to Q6. Did badly in theory question too. I think if I get 1/3 of the marks out of 40 for those two Qs, I might pass :mad:

I feel more confident about tax tomorrow but you never know what this new examiner will throw at us. I wouldn't be surprised if I left exam hall feeling shattered! again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

j@utis wrote: »
    I made big balls out of AFA paper last Monday. I'm literally counting on questions 2,3 & 5 to get me the pass mark. I picked question 4 over 6, it looked easier at the first glance but after 15mins doing it I got stuck and regretted my choice but it was too late to switch to Q6. Did badly in theory question too. I think if I get 1/3 of the marks out of 40 for those two Qs, I might pass :mad:

I feel more confident about tax tomorrow but you never know what this new examiner will throw at us. I wouldn't be surprised if I left exam hall feeling shattered! again!

AFA was mixed. Theory strayed away from the bulk of the chapters we needed to learn. Hopefully picked up some marks on the smaller parts of some questions and for presentation:D to get tru'

Is there a new examiner for Adv Tax? I hadn't heard that.

I know there is a new one for MAng Acct from last year and I'm dreading how unpredictable that might be and figuring out what we are actually being asked to do:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

For anyone doing BM tomorrow the only advise i can offer is to do the online tutorials - i purchased them last year the weekend before the exam - i was very unsure on that paper because theory is not my strong point but with the help of the tutorials and a lot of general cop on i got 81% in the exam. The same for Law too with the tutorials got me 71% - that was the subject i dreaded the most!

With AFA i was surprised with Q1 that it wasn't what was on past papers i.e. the Framework in full, definitely think they made that a lot easier than it could have been.....

My strategy is IT, Marketing, Finance as they are always definite questions and I really think porters is coming up so I've covered that thoroughly. Our tutor thinks the plc is due to be covered in marketing so it's worth knowing inside out. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xLollyx

Glad I found this thread!! I was racking my brains wondering was I the only one thinking yesterdays exam was very confusing. I'm nearly 100% sure I answered the bank rec question wrong, and for most of the theory I freaked out as I wasn't expecting even half that amount of theory!!!

Heres to hoping tomorrows BM exam doesn't throw many curve balls!!! :(

I'll be relying on many diagrams and vast amounts of waffle to get me through tomorrows BM.

It has to be informed waffle though... I managed to waffle up to 74% last year. not too bad :D
    I'm gearing up tax tomorrow, hoping that VAT won't be a compulsory Q, too much theory in it. I'll try to get away doing questions on personal & company tax and CGT. Multiple choice seems to be very tricky this year. Many examiner comments on this Q are like "people could have passed in they went for another Q in the paper", so it's a no no then...

Well, all in all, I thought today's paper couldn't have went better! Product life cycle came up as predicted so I instantly felt better, I owe my tutor a drink!! :) hope everyone else faired well! We're halfway there now! :D

Well, all in all, I thought today's paper couldn't have went better! Product life cycle came up as predicted so I instantly felt better, I owe my tutor a drink!! :) hope everyone else faired well! We're halfway there now! :D
    I thought of you as soon as I saw it! I was very pleasantly surprised with today, didn't give it enough time study wise and felt like nothing was going in but it wasn't bad at all!

I took your advice from yesterday and went back over PLC, Porters 5 Forces and 'the usual suspects', so I think I owe you a drink aswell. A lot happier than I was on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

I took your advice from yesterday and went back over PLC, Porters 5 Forces and 'the usual suspects', so I think I owe you a drink aswell. A lot happier than I was on Tuesday.

Yep! I'm alot happier than Tuesday too! I feel like I dodged a bullet with that paper big time and I think for my worst subject, it's possibly going to be my best result! Takes the sting off FA anyway and sure, if I had to pick one subject to repeat, it'd be FA.

Now it's Law and Ethics to start sweating about! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xLollyx

Don't think I did too badly today either, one or two parts of the questions threw me but hopefully not enough to make me fail it :)

Any views on Advance Taxation today?

I thought it was tricky in parts, but not too bad overall.

I thought Adv.Tax was very reasonable today with very few hairy bits, I had an hour left to do the last question, went with questions 1,2,3,4,5. Q6 and Q7 were the hardest imho, I had 30mins left at the end, so I gave MCQ a go - got stuck at part2 straight away :D

1.2.3 and 4 and 6. Think I nailed the Mulitiple choice. 9, maybe 10 right.

What did people think of Taxation today? There were a few little bits in Q1 that threw me but at least in those types of Qs it's easy to pick up marks as you go. I messed up Q2, realised it and had to do half it again. I was delighted with payroll not being in section A and felt the multiple choice was better than previous years! Which is good as due to the Q2 debacle I had less than 20 minutes to do it

What did people think of Taxation today? There were a few little bits in Q1 that threw me but at least in those types of Qs it's easy to pick up marks as you go. I messed up Q2, realised it and had to do half it again. I was delighted with payroll not being in section A and felt the multiple choice was better than previous years! Which is good as due to the Q2 debacle I had less than 20 minutes to do it

It's hard for me to judge if I got enough to pass because I know I got things wrong! Thank god for the multiple choice!! I think that's my highest scoring question. IT was ok as was VAT but addbacks and theory I messed up abit. Can't wait to be finished now!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Found it tough going,messed up Q 2 and 3,was running out of time for Q 5 So didn't get to the tax/usc forms,hard to know how the multiple choice went tbh, Overall I'm not happy.

If I just pass today's tax I'll be happy (obviously). Think I did well in the income tax and case 1/2 adjusted profits, they'd be my favorites. With those and the vat and MCQ question (should have gotten over half the marks going) , I'd say I did enough to pass, fingers crossed. I avoided the tax deduction card and P60 like the plague. The theory question was my weakest i'd say.

Just Law and Ethics left, I'm goin on a bender Wednesday. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 outeverynite

Law & Ethics on Wednesday....looking back at the compulsory questions and Money Laundering hasn't come up since Summer 11....it's only been a question once....perhaps this might come up on Wed!

Advertisement