Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred editor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

eoin_s wrote:
    Neither jealous or an emacs user - my comment was "A lot of the people in work".

You missed the smiley, didn't you....even though you quoted it.

As a matter of interest...how old are these people? In their late 20s to 30s, perhaps? Have you ever considered what tools were available when they were learning their trade?
    I still think there is this kind of technical snobbery from a lot of *nix users towards anyone who thinks a mouse is a handy device.
    I wouldn't call it technical snobbery. I'd call it an almost-certainly-justified belief that they are more productive without using a mouse when it comes to text-editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

warrenaldo wrote:
    in my new job now and they seem to like emacs a lot in here. had to get them to install vim - because i wanted to put on syntax highlighing and colors etc(not available in vi)

but i cant seem to do in in vim either. anybody got any tips? using freebsd and vim7

What I normally do is, I'll customise my setup in gvim, and then save the vimrc and import it wherever I need it. :)

As for how I swing, vim and vi. I prefer vim for coding, but I can only use vi in work.

Re: Showing off that I don't need a mouse - I tend to work on remote machines, half the time through the serial console, in which case I REALLY need something like vi. It's not showing off, it's just necessity.

Plus, I like the fact that vi is part of the Single Unix specification, so it tends to turn up in most unix distros meaning I can generally rely on it being there. Also, any linux machines with busybox on there will have vi.

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I don't know if I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness here, but I have a liking for two editors:

1) UltraEdit (for Windows) - love it, but it costs money, so don't use it. Will stump up the relatively paltry amount to buy it at some stage in the near future though.
    2) jEdit - I use this day to day for assorted PHP/Python/Perl stuff, and I find it,its plugin and macro toys and little things like a search and replace tool that understands regular expressions to be fantastic. It also does a decent job of syntax highlighting as well.

Anyone else for either of these? I will say that when I'm working remotely I also use vi/vim - I can do the basics, but I find it slow... I've used emacs a few times, but to say that it's got a learning curve is being kind IMHO...
    Gadget

Advertisement