Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any proposals on the cards tomorrow?

Options
  • 22-05-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭

It's going to be a YES!!!! High voter turnout particularly in urban areas. Brilliant! I wonder will Iona and friends p*ss off when they find that the nation doesn't reflect their views and doesn't want to listen to their prejudice, divisive bullsh*t?

It is a bit premature, and it seems ridiculous to say congratulations for gaining something that is a right, but....

So, any wedding dates being set? Proposals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I recon it will be a high yes, 69-79% yes I predict, and if not I'll eat me hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    It's going to be a YES!!!! High voter turnout particularly in urban areas. Brilliant! I wonder will Iona and friends p*ss off when they find that the nation doesn't reflect their views and doesn't want to listen to their prejudice, divisive bullsh*t?

It is a bit premature, and it seems ridiculous to say congratulations for gaining something that is a right, but....

So you know the votes people cast in secret. Well done you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

So you know the votes people cast in secret. Well done you.

Ah take yourself off to the grumpy forum! High voter turnout, particularly in urban areas will be a yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭barretsimpson

People are perfectly entitled to vote no if they want to, and you want them to leave their own country for doing so ?

People are perfectly entitled to vote no if they want to, and you want them to leave their own country for doing so ?

I meant p*ss off from the public forum with their ridiculous views and campaigning for 1950 to return, not out of the country. It's looking pretty certain that tomorrow they will be told their prejudice views are not reflective of the views of the majority of Irish people.

• Advertisement

I meant p*ss off from the public forum with their ridiculous views and campaigning for 1950 to return, not out of the country. It's looking pretty certain that tomorrow they will be told their prejudice views are not reflective of the views of the majority of Irish people.

People are entitled to vote whatever way they want and to campaign for either vote.
    If you can't handle that basic principle then perhaps a free and democratic country is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It might be a bit premature to go setting dates, right? Has the government actually set a date when people will be able to marry?

People are entitled to vote whatever way they want and to campaign for either vote.
    If you can't handle that basic principle then perhaps a free and democratic country is not for you.

But surely their constant campaigning that their arguments would call for "a better ireland" would be null and void if the vote is a yes? I think they need to back off a bit tbh. They're entitled to their opinion but their constant mouthing off at any given opportunity is quite nauseating, and if tomorrow is a high yes I think we can safely say that their views do not reflect the views of the majority. Tomorrow will be a step forward for us so it's time for them to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Aard wrote: »
    It might be a bit premature to go setting dates, right? Has the government actually set a date when people will be able to marry?

When someone goes down on one knee they aren't literally setting the date.... Just asking the question & seeking the commitment.

I doubt the government will pass the relevant legislation before summer (could be wrong), but I imagine the first weddings will be before the end of the year.

How long is it likely to take? At home it only took 4 months from the bill passing to it being in effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

anna080 wrote: »
    But surely their constant campaigning that their arguments would call for "a better ireland" would be null and void if the vote is a yes? I think they need to back off a bit tbh. They're entitled to their opinion but their constant mouthing off at any given opportunity is quite nauseating, and if tomorrow is a high yes I think we can safely say that their views do not reflect the views of the majority. Tomorrow will be a step forward for us so it's time for them to back off.

Its called a referendum, both sides are allowed to have their say, before during and for as long as they want afterwards, that's called free speech and democracy, and no democracy should have a problem with that. It's mind boggling that has to be explained to liberal people.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

So if someone at the next General Election say that Fine Gael can 'p*ss of with their water charges' will that be a 'disgrace to democracy'. Notice I was referring to the Iona Institute and other such groups, not your garden variety no voter. Who is being sanctimonious?

Its called a referendum, both sides are allowed to have their say, before during and for as long as they want afterwards, that's called free speech and democracy, and no democracy should have a problem with that. It's mind boggling that has to be explained to liberal people.

No need to be so patronising. I even said I respect their right to voice their opinion. I just think that they need to back off. I don't know anyone who supports them and they get far more attention than they're worth considering their views don't actually reflect the nation and that will be fairly evident tomorrow.

No need to be so patronising. I even said I respect their right to voice their opinion. I just think that they need to back off. I don't know anyone who supports them and they get far more attention than they're worth considering their views don't actually reflect the nation and that will be fairly evident tomorrow.

I'm not the one demanding people in a democratic country who voted differently to me to "piss off", that's not respectful of democracy, nor is it the type of country we voted for. If that has to be explained to you, that's not my fault.

Well my intention was a happy, feel good, celebratory thread since voter motivation and turnout is so high, indicating a yes. That didn't go to plan did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When someone goes down on one knee they aren't literally setting the date.

Thank **** . For a sizable amount of people, like myself, its a delaying tactic.:D

More of a "this is a ring to commit to discussing the possibility in the future that discussing marriage may be on the table"

I'm not the one demanding people in a democratic country who voted differently to me to "piss off", that's not respectful of democracy, nor is it the type of country we voted for. If that has to be explained to you, that's not my fault.

When did I say they need to piss off? I said they need to back off, which they do. They're too forceful with their views, it's embarrassing. Can't you get your point across without being patronising? There's really no need.

Well my intention was a happy, feel good, celebratory thread since voter motivation and turnout is so high, indicating a yes. That didn't go to plan did it!

Yeah its a pity you could keep they should piss off comments out of it, and just be happy for the couples. What were you really voting for ?

Yeah its a pity you could keep they should piss off comments out of it, and just be happy for the couples. What were you really voting for ?

Again, who said they need to piss off? You quoted me as saying it but I didn't.. So...?

• Advertisement

When did I say they need to piss off? I said they need to back off, which they do. They're too forceful with their views, it's embarrassing. Can't you get your point across without being patronising? There's really no need.

It was me who said 'I wonder will Iona and friends (meaning M & F Matter and other such groups) p*ss off (meaning from the media, not the country) with their divisive prejudice views. Apparently that has been interpreted as me telling everyone who voted no to p*ss off out of the country and an assault upon democracy.

It was me who said 'I wonder will Iona and friends (meaning M & F Matter and other such groups) p*ss off (meaning from the media, not the country) with their divisive prejudice views. Apparently that has been interpreted as me telling everyone who voted no to p*ss off out of the country and an assault upon democracy.

And to be honest it would be a disrespect to democracy if they didn't back down. In the same way that party leaders step down after defeat, they too should respect the opinion of the majority and take a step back from the public forum. That's just my two cents, since we are talking about being "respectful to democracy" and all.

And to be honest it would be a disrespect to democracy if they didn't back down. In the same way that politicians step down after defeat, they too should respect the opinion of the majority and take a step back from the public forum. That's just my two cents, since we are talking about being respectful to democracy and all.

Everyone has a right to the public forum, that's called democracy.
    e.g. Fianna Fail lost the election, I and the majority of the electorate had different views, that does not mean they should be silenced from speaking. I don't want to live in North Korea thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm absolutely convinced it's a yes now, turnout apparently is the highest ever in any Irish referendum! That's absolutely incredible. Looks like the youth actually did vote for once in their lives! Amazing to see this really. I would have said something like 55-45 Yes (or lower), with such a high turnout, especially in the urban areas, I'd be amazed if it was less than 60% in favour of a Yes vote, it could even pass 65% (but we've got to be realistic, it will be incredible if it passes 60%). My facebook has been absolutely littered with people telling me they've been out to vote, and various friends saying they're voting yes and asking others to vote yes. I suppose the fact is people of my generation know someone is gay and have gay friends, so why wouldn't we want to see them get married?

In all my years being interested in politics and votes and referenda, I've never seen anything like it. The No side were an absolute disgrace with all the people they managed to insult, not just gay people but single parents and the children of single parents.

I had to lol at the 'two men can't replace a mother's love' statements, back in the 90s we were told 'hello divorce, bye bye Daddy', now 20 years later us men are redundant when it comes to parenting!

Anyway, I really look forward to tomorrow, and I hope my prediction of a yes vote is right!

Everyone has a right to the public forum, that's called democracy.
    e.g. Fianna Fail lost the election, I and the majority of the electorate had different views, that does not mean they should be silenced from speaking. I don't want to live in North Korea thanks very much.

But don't you think it's disrespecful to democracy for them to keep spouting their nonsense if it's obviously not reflective of what the majority of the public have expressed?

But don't you think it's disrespecful to democracy for them to keep spouting their nonsense if it's obviously not reflective of what the majority of the public have expressed?

No I don't want to live in any country where an opposing view is silenced. That's not what I voted for today, is that what you thought you were voting for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

None set yet but hopefully all will be done before the next General Election - i.e. prob Spring 2016.

I'm absolutely convinced it's a yes now, turnout apparently is the highest ever in any Irish referendum! That's absolutely incredible. Looks like the youth actually did vote for once in their lives! Amazing to see this really. I would have said something like 55-45 Yes (or lower), with such a high turnout, especially in the urban areas, I'd be amazed if it was less than 60% in favour of a Yes vote, it could even pass 65% (but we've got to be realistic, it will be incredible if it passes 60%). My facebook has been absolutely littered with people telling me they've been out to vote, and various friends saying they're voting yes and asking others to vote yes. I suppose the fact is people of my generation know someone is gay and have gay friends, so why wouldn't we want to see them get married?

In all my years being interested in politics and votes and referenda, I've never seen anything like it. The No side were an absolute disgrace with all the people they managed to insult, not just gay people but single parents and the children of single parents.

I had to lol at the 'two men can't replace a mother's love' statements, back in the 90s we were told 'hello divorce, bye bye Daddy', now 20 years later us men are redundant when it comes to parenting!

Anyway, I really look forward to tomorrow, and I hope my prediction of a yes vote is right!

The turnout is fantastic news! I have never felt so excited about the result of any vote. I think this is a really big moment in history for Ireland.

No I don't want to live in any country where an opposing view is silenced. That's not what I voted for today, is that what you thought you were voting for ?

Nobody is saying they need to be silenced, you need to stop being so dramatic. And no I voted for equality to marriage. Methinks you're actually not as "respectful to democracy" as you seem to think you are.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying they need to be silenced, you need to stop being so dramatic. And no I voted for equality to marriage. Methinks you're actually not as "respectful to democracy" as you seem to think you are.

Then maybe you should keep it about marriage then . . .

Advertisement