Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Prep Advice

• 22-05-2015 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

So, I want to get my diet into gear for when I return to college. The college do offer 'healthy' food, but it lacks that 'fresh' taste, so I want to bring in my own, and save a few bucks too while I am at it.

So, I purchased myself a food scales and some containers.

Say my classes start at 9am on a Monday, how would it be best to prepare/cook chicken, steak, salmon? Should you prepare/cook the night before and store it in fridge? or wake up early and cook that morning?

Same question for my carb sources such as a potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, pasta and veg. Would the pasta/rice not be all sticky if I cook it the night before?

Regarding food safety, how long would meat/poultry be safe to last in my backpack? I don't want to be getting sick:(

Any tips/advice regarding this would be great, thank you!:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

GeneralC wrote: »
    Say my classes start at 9am on a Monday, how would it be best to prepare/cook chicken, steak, salmon? Should you prepare/cook the night before and store it in fridge? or wake up early and cook that morning?

Do you have access to a microwave?

I spend about an hour doing food prep on a Sunday. I steam all my veg in a steamer, have meat cooking in a slow cooker (from early that morning), and another meal cooking in a pot (something like a stew, soup, bolognese etc). I keep 3 days worth of these meals in the fridge, then heat them up when I get into work. The rest go into the freezer until later in the week. Might have to cook then on a Thursday evening for dinner, Friday and Saturday if I have enough.

Same question for my carb sources such as a potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, pasta and veg. Would the pasta/rice not be all sticky if I cook it the night before?

I don't eat much carbs, but roasted or mashed sweet potato keeps fine in the fridge. Quinoa freezes quite well. I imagine brown rice would be fine stored with a spoon or two of water in the container.
    Regarding food safety, how long would meat/poultry be safe to last in my backpack? I don't want to be getting sick:(

Any tips/advice regarding this would be great, thank you!:)

I'm not sure about this, but could you get a cooler bag? I'm sure they'd have them in the likes of Tesco/Homestore & More.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't have any issues with brown rice kept and/ or frozen. I do rinse it in boiling water after draining though, and a touch of water reheating it.

Cool bags and freezer blocks should get you to lunch ok.

I've access to a microwave in work, so anything I bring in is reheated.

Advertisement