Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football All Stars 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Realistically 8 - 12 all stars will come from the two finalists based on how they have panned out previously. That being the case there will probably be 1 or 2 players who didn't make the semi finals and the balance from Mayo and Dublin. From my perspective the only Dublin players who have a chance of making the team are Connolly and Flynn, and maybe Philly. Its unlikely that two of the three half forward berths will go to Dublin so I wouldn't be surprised if only one of them gets the nod. Hence if Dublin are to get a second player on the team, Philly would get my nod.

As for POTY it probably depends on the result in the final. A Kerry win will almost certainly result in O'Donoghue getting the nod. A Donegal win might complicate things in that McHugh, Gallagher and Murphy might split the vote. If one of those has a stormer in the final he'll probably get the nod. Based on performances to date, particularly the quarter and semi finals I'd vote for Murphy. He was the best player on the pitch against Armagh, and excellent again against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

The reason I'm pulling you up about it is that you and I crossed swords on this before - this was what you said way back in early 2012 when Donegal and Armagh hadn't met in anything meaningful in ages.

Now what was that outburst based on, given we weren't playing against each other at that time?!? :rolleyes:

So get over it. ;)
    Good man,lets just move on and talk about the all stars, you re as bad as Oisin McConville:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

You may have a general point on TV coverage but Kerry v Clare (or any of the weaker counties in Munster) has rarely been judging ground for All Stars apart from Clare's brief surge in the 90s and Limerick's flirtation with the top level from 2003 to 2005.

Obviously the All-Stars arent going to be decided by a game against Clare (although having said that feel duty-bound to point out that Clare were very decent this year - we beat them by less than we beat Cork and Galway and on another night they could have possibly squeezed by Kildare.)

Murphy for instance had the type of eye-catching game that if the game had been televised with his other consistent/steadier performances would probably have pushed him much closer into contention, as opposed to the current situation where as DDC1990 says he's not even being looked at as a possible All-Star.

It's may sound odd but I wonder if it's somehow related to the fact thatt for an All-Ireland finalist, Kerry have so few players in what you would describe as pole position for All-Stars.
    DDC1990 wrote: »
    Well there you go, I thought it was players 23 and under? Must be u-21?

He's not even being looked at as an All Star.

Yup under-21 :D

Past30Now wrote: »
    From my perspective the only Dublin players who have a chance of making the team are Connolly and Flynn, and maybe Philly. Its unlikely that two of the three half forward berths will go to Dublin so I wouldn't be surprised if only one of them gets the nod. Hence if Dublin are to get a second player on the team, Philly would get my nod.

I think in a sense half-forward looks like the most competitive line and I wonder if there is a danger of Connolly and Flynn splitting the vote - I can't see a huge number of voters giving them both votes, although I can't see many not giving one of the two of them a tick.

I think they really need to see McHugh get the YPOTY and have him "lose out" on an All-Star to have any chance. Even then it might be very squeaky.

Rightly or wrongly the Donegal has killed McMahon's chances stone dead imo

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

harpsman wrote: »
    Good man,lets just move on and talk about the all stars, you re as bad as Oisin McConville:eek:

I hope you genuflected when you typed that name!! toungue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Ronie32

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I think in a sense half-forward looks like the most competitive line and I wonder if there is a danger of Connolly and Flynn splitting the vote - I can't see a huge number of voters giving them both votes, although I can't see many not giving one of the two of them a tick.

I think they really need to see McHugh get the YPOTY and have him "lose out" on an All-Star to have any chance. Even then it might be very squeaky.

Rightly or wrongly the Donegal has killed McMahon's chances stone dead imo

Who do you reckon is in the running to make the half forward line ahead of Flynn, Connolly and Mchugh?

One notion I have is if Donaghy has a massive final similar to the Mayo game, he might make full forward and Murphy could be pushed to the half forward line!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I thought Donnchadh Walsh was desperate unlucky not to get an All Star last year when they pulled a stunt naming Cavanagh at half forward so Aidan O'Shea - not even Mayo's best player at centre field - could get one as well.

If anything Walsh has been better this year. If you're leaving club performances out of it he's way more deserving of one than Connolly this year who a lot of people were calling on to be dropped through the Leinster campaign.

I hope you genuflected when you typed that name!! toungue.gif
    Great player-not sure bout his "punditry" tho;might be losin his marbles.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought Donnchadh Walsh was desperate unlucky not to get an All Star last year when they pulled a stunt naming Cavanagh at half forward so Aidan O'Shea - not even Mayo's best player at centre field - could get one as well.

If anything Walsh has been better this year. If you're leaving club performances out of it he's way more deserving of one than Connolly this year who a lot of people were calling on to be dropped through the Leinster campaign.
    It wouldnt be a stunt to pick Murphy at centre forward-hes spent equal times through the middle in every line bar full back and goalkeeper so imo centre forward would be the most natural place to pick him.

Walsh bit unlucky alright last year-was excellent against Cork and Kerry.

I think Connolly is an absolute cert to win one given that afaiaa he hasnt got one yet, and also was outstanding in 2 massive games-the club final and last Sunday-when the chips were down. I wouldnt pay any heed to him not doin well in a few turkey shoots in Leinster-sure Cormac Costello and Dean Rock would be all stars if you were to count those non events

Ronie32 wrote: »
    Who do you reckon is in the running to make the half forward line ahead of Flynn, Connolly and Mchugh?

One notion I have is if Donaghy has a massive final similar to the Mayo game, he might make full forward and Murphy could be pushed to the half forward line!

At the moment there are 5 players less than evens with Paddypower

McHugh 1/8 0.13
    Connolly 3/10 0.3
    Flynn 2/5 0.4
    D Walsh 8/15 0.53
    Mac Niallais 8/13 0.62

If Kerry win it's very hard not to see Donnacha (who's never won an All-Star) picking one up. Even if Kerry don't win I could see him being a possible win depending on how the final goes.

A massive issue is how McHugh's likely YPOTY will affect things - if lads vote for him in the YPOTY will they vote for him as an All-Star

There's also the possibility that if one of Sheehan, O'Brien, McLoone or even Buckley has a big game in the final they might seriously come into the reckoning; depending on how the result goes and I could also see your Murphy/Donaghy scenario be a possibility as well. If any of these for instance are MOTM on the day this could put more pressure on things.

Basically I could see lads looking at the ballot paper and running their eye over the half-forward category and after discarding a few of the 9 names on the basis of them being in the nominated to make up the full 9 number, category and deciding to give a vote to 1 of the 2 from Connolly or Flynn but not both.

Obviously all speculation but seems plausible to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If Donegal beat Kerry it will be very hard to look past McHugh for an All Star as well, excellent in the Ulster Final and against Dublin.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Shane Walsh is a fantastic prospect. But his performances this year should have him nowhere near an all star.

In fairness I don't think anyone said he'll get an All-Star. He'll get a nomination alright.

Was probably in pole position for YPOTY though up to the quarter-finals but these things are nearly always decided by the final 3 (or 4 this year) games of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

K-9 wrote: »
    If Donegal beat Kerry it will be very hard to look past McHugh for an All Star as well, excellent in the Ulster Final and against Dublin.

He'll get one. Personally I think Odhrán's is more deserving but I'm sure there's room for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

That ref reilly will surely get one after his performance for kerry last week,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

You had since the second round of the qualifiers to come up with a joke, and that's the best you can do? ;)

Reilly bashing is sooooo last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Excellent contribution to the thread...!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thread Bump....predict your all stars :)

Durcan
    O Mahony
    Mcgee
    Higgins
    Murphy
    Crowley
    Mcglynn
    Moran
    Gallagher
    Flynn
    Connolly
    Walsh
    O Donoghue
    Donoghy
    Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

thread Bump....predict your all stars :)

Durcan
    O Mahony
    Mcgee
    Higgins
    Murphy
    Crowley
    Mcglynn
    Moran
    Gallagher
    Flynn
    Connolly
    Walsh
    O Donoghue
    Donoghy
    Murphy

Has Michael Murphy done enough to get one?
    I feel sometimes that the hype is greater than the substance with him.
    Limited displays in semi and the final. Not a hope is he ahead of Cillian O Connor for me. Between himself and Donaghy for full-forward for me and I would have Donaghy ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

robbiezero wrote: »
    Limited displays in semi and the final. Not a hope is he ahead of Cillian O Connor for me. Between himself and Donaghy for full-forward for me and I would have Donaghy ahead.

Michael Murphy was outstanding in the semi final. They wouldn't have won it without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Not a hope is Michael Murphy ahead of Cillian O Connor for an all-star? Everyone is free to make their case for who they think should get an all-star, but leaving Murphy without ''a hope'' despite dominating in every game besides the final seems a bit much.

If Murphy had a better final, he'd be very close to winning footballer of the year, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Not a hope is Michael Murphy ahead of Cillian O Connor for an all-star? Everyone is free to make their case for who they think should get an all-star, but leaving Murphy without ''a hope'' despite dominating in every game besides the final seems a bit much.

If Murphy had a better final, he'd be very close to winning footballer of the year, imho.

For me... that is i.e. in my opinion.
    I didn't think he dominated every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I agreed with the Sunday game team bar McHugh #12, Boyle #7 and Durkan. I'd have James Mc or either of Donegal's wingbacks ahead of Boyle, probably Dessie Mone as well. The other wing forward role is difficult, I'd nearly move Murphy out considering he's basically been a half forward, then put Donaghy at #14. Durkan's final performance makes it hard to put him in, his kicking was poor early on against Dublin as well although he improved that day. Hard to pick a GK though, Hennelly's underrated.

Hennelly, O'Mahony, N. McGee, Higgins, P. Murphy, Crowley, McGlynn, Moran, Gallagher, Flynn, M.Murphy, Connolly, O'Donoghue, Donaghy, O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

For me... that is i.e. in my opinion.
    I did acknowledge that - I didn't say you were wrong. I was merely pointing out that, in my opinion, the words ''not a hope'' were a bit strong.
    I didn't think he dominated every game.
    Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Murphy will be a cert for an All Star, Neill McGee, Gallagher as well and I'd be surprised if McHugh doesn't get one. The problem with Murphy is where do you put him? He'll probably be in the FF line despite only playing there intermittently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

AN other; Fitzgerald, N McGee, Higgins; P Murphy, Boyle, McGlynn; Moran, Gallagher; Flynn, M Murphy, Connolly; JOD, Donaghy, COC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Crowley is a cert turniphead. He's had a brilliant season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Goalkeeper would have to be between Cluxton and Hennely.Durcan had a terrible final which cost Donegal so surely has lost his chance.
    I'd go-
    Cluxton
    Fitzgearld,McGee,Higgins
    Murphy,Crowley,McGlynn
    Moran,Gallagher
    Donnacha Walsh,Murphy,Connolly
    Donohue,Donaghy,O Connor

O Mahoney had a great final but Fitzgearld was better all season.
    Donnacha Walsh is one of the most underrated players of all time.At one stage on Sunday in the first half he was the last man back defending a high ball looking like a full back.The man has an engine second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ya, Donnacha gets overlooked every year. would be great if he finally got one. i guess his shooting left him down on Sunday and it could perhaps have cost him the all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

Paul Durkan
    Paul Murphy
    Neil McGee
    Keith Higgins
    James McCarthy
    Peter Crowley
    Colm Boyle
    David Moran
    Neil Gallagher
    Paul Flynn
    Michael Murphy