Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

if you get confirmation that your getting the grant you dont need to pay it. just a letter from the vec saying your getting it is enough for the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So since my grant isnt going to come out in time and the grant is pretty much all the money i have does anyone have any ideas to how i would pay the fees (I will be going to dit).

You just tell the DIT student services you are waiting on the grant to pay the fees and then they pay them

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chris___boii

So if i called the vec they would be able to confirm if im getting the grant or not ? I only just applied a few days ago

You just tell the DIT student services you are waiting on the grant to pay the fees and then they pay them

So i just tell them that the grant will pay them but wont i need some proof, I stressing out hear :(

well since you only applied a few days ago, it will take a while longer for them to process your application.

Usually the college will wait a while until you get confirmation, and when you do, you just provide the letter.

if they're not willing to wait, then you can talk to the vec and see if they will process it quicker.

if you get refused for the grant, then you will have to pay the fees yourself.

So i just tell them that the grant will pay them but wont i need some proof, I stressing out hear :(

Don't be stressed. You just tell DIT that you have applied for a grant and you are waiting on the Grant authority to pay DIT.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

k thanks alot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

I applied for my maintenance grant 2 weeks ago but there was issues with paperwork and i'm still waiting for confirmation, I'm pretty sure I will get the grant but this morning got a letter asking for course fees. I thought this was covered by my grant, but I won't have it by registration date, UL is asking for online enrollment, INCLUDING payment of fees and the letter said not to come down to the college for orientation week without having the online enrollment finished. What do i do?

I applied for my maintenance grant 2 weeks ago but there was issues with paperwork and i'm still waiting for confirmation, I'm pretty sure I will get the grant but this morning got a letter asking for course fees. I thought this was covered by my grant, but I won't have it by registration date, UL is asking for online enrollment, INCLUDING payment of fees and the letter said not to come down to the college for orientation week without having the online enrollment finished. What do i do?

Ring UL - explain you have applied for the grant and that you anticipate the grant will be paying the fees

Terry Pratchet

And will they just except that and allow me to enroll online? I literally can't afford to pay the fees and had to get a loan for the accommodation. Neither of my parents could get me the fees without a lot of hassle. This has me so stressed out.

• Advertisement

And will they just except that and allow me to enroll online? I literally can't afford to pay the fees and had to get a loan for the accommodation. Neither of my parents could get me the fees without a lot of hassle. This has me so stressed out.

They should do - Be assertive and calm and explain the situation. If they don't give in then contact the UL Students Union welfare officer

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for the help. I'll call them first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Was just wondering how I go about re-applying because of exceptional circumstances? (I missed a year due to being sick). I received the grant before but I'm not sure whether I should fill out the form again. Can't find anything about it on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

I applied for my grant almost two weeks ago and yesterday in the mail I received an envelope from the Clare County Council, it contained all of the extra documents I had sent with my grant and a small slip with the ''returning with thanks'' box ticked. The note section was left clear so can I assume that my grant application was successful or might they contact me again about it?

I was also wondering if someone from a county with a smaller population like Clare would get their application processed a little faster than people from counties such as Cork and Dublin? I don't know if I could wait two months without eating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

I just got a letter today from monaghan Vec saying that my dad need to submit a p21. only thing is it doesnt seem like ill get the p21 in time for the deadline. i also was never told i needed a p21 when i went into the vec to drop off my documents

any advice? i really need this grant

Was just wondering how I go about re-applying because of exceptional circumstances? (I missed a year due to being sick). I received the grant before but I'm not sure whether I should fill out the form again. Can't find anything about it on the application form.

Im not sure - I think because you have received a grant before that you may be disqualified. Maybe ring your county council or vec

Terry Pratchet

MeganM wrote: »
    I applied for my grant almost two weeks ago and yesterday in the mail I received an envelope from the Clare County Council, it contained all of the extra documents I had sent with my grant and a small slip with the ''returning with thanks'' box ticked. The note section was left clear so can I assume that my grant application was successful or might they contact me again about it?

I was also wondering if someone from a county with a smaller population like Clare would get their application processed a little faster than people from counties such as Cork and Dublin? I don't know if I could wait two months without eating :D

They will contact you again with a letter confirming if you have received it or not

Terry Pratchet

I just got a letter today from monaghan Vec saying that my dad need to submit a p21. only thing is it doesnt seem like ill get the p21 in time for the deadline. i also was never told i needed a p21 when i went into the vec to drop off my documents

any advice? i really need this grant

Don't worry too much about the deadline - it should be ok - Grant deadlines usually get extended

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭totothejuggler

Don't worry too much about the deadline - it should be ok - Grant deadlines usually get extended

Aw great thats lifted a load of my mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Post here if you need assistance filling out thread titles! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Hi from 2006-2009 I completed an ordinary degree with in recipt of a student grant, I am returning to college this year to start an honours degree in a differnt field, as I am under 23 and already have a degree I will be paying full course, my question is would I be eligible for a student for a student grant(as I was before) even though im paying fees??? any help would be great!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If you're progressing from a level 7 to a level 8 degree (doenst have to be directly related) you should be eligible (providing you fill all the other criteria). you may also be eligible for the tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Tree wrote: »
    If you're progressing from a level 7 to a level 8 degree (doenst have to be directly related) you should be eligible (providing you fill all the other criteria). you may also be eligible for the tuition fees.

Cheers for the help, ya I did a level 7 degree in Civil Eng. and now im starting a level 8 degree in accounting

sealgaire wrote: »
    Post here if you need assistance filling out thread titles! :-)

woops! didnt notice that typo! thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Henrib

Hi I've searched this thread but can't seem to find my answer, apologies if I've missed it! Where on the form or how does one apply for the 'Special Rate of Maintenance'??

• Advertisement

Henrib wrote: »
    Hi I've searched this thread but can't seem to find my answer, apologies if I've missed it! Where on the form or how does one apply for the 'Special Rate of Maintenance'??

You don't - it's assessed the same - just make sure to clearly mark that you are receiving social welfare

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Euskadi1888

Right, some quick questions as I need to send this out today!

Where it asks if I have applied for any other financial assistance - I haven't applied for anything yet but if I don't get the grant I will definitely have to apply for Student Assistance Fund at the uni. Should I mention this?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

I know this is probably the most basic question of all, but what does the grant actually cover and how much is it worth? I can't seem to find this anywhere :/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Anybody know if you do a online application will the decision be post on the status on your online account.

Would this be an easy way to find out if you were granted it rather than waiting for post or however else your informed.

Shonagh wrote: »
    I know this is probably the most basic question of all, but what does the grant actually cover and how much is it worth? I can't seem to find this anywhere :/

Have a look at page 35 and page 39

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

When they ask of proof of living independantly it asks to 'provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2010.' Should I send the ESB bill I have for October 2010, or should I send every ESB bill issued to me between October 2010 and present?

Also, when they ask for proof of my residence for the last 3 years. Will it suffice to give a single ESB bill for each of those years, 3 in all?

For documentary evidence of nationality I am sending my birth cert (long version) and a black and white copy of my passport certified at a garda station, will that suffice?

For savings, should I be sending a statement for 2010 OR a certificate of interest for 2010?

Thanks!

1When they ask of proof of living independantly it asks to 'provide evidence of where you were living from 1 October 2010.' Should I send the ESB bill I have for October 2010, or should I send every ESB bill issued to me between October 2010 and present?

2Also, when they ask for proof of my residence for the last 3 years. Will it suffice to give a single ESB bill for each of those years, 3 in all?

3For documentary evidence of nationality I am sending my birth cert (long version) and a black and white copy of my passport certified at a garda station, will that suffice?

4For savings, should I be sending a statement for 2010 OR a certificate of interest for 2010?

Thanks!

1 October 2010 bill is sufficient
    2 yes bill for each year should do
    3 yes
    4 they only need to know the interest

Terry Pratchet

1 October 2010 bill is sufficient
    2 yes bill for each year should do
    3 yes
    4 they only need to know the interest

Thanks dude, you're a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Got the bill in Friday from NUIM and still waiting on a decission regarding the grant from Kildare. I just got the forms back today stamped and just saying they are returning the original documents. Do I get another letter when they r decide?
    I'm really hanging in the balance now. Thanks if anyone can help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer92

You know the question it asks you 'have you applied for any student financial assistance from Ireland or abroad' (thats not the exact wording) ..well i said no & have it all sent now but i got HEAR.. is this a form of financial assisitance? should i ring them & tell them? or would they find out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Hi I have a quick question. I have my application completed and just waiting on the documentation. I received a grant for my undergrad which I completed in 2009 so am applying again for a post grad.

I went to my county council to hand in my application and tell them I was waiting on my documentation and would have them asap. But I was told that there has been changes in the last 2 years and as I am applying to an IT I now have to apply to the VEC.

So I went to the VEC and was told that I need to apply to the county council as I had previously held a grant with them.... Neither would accept my application. Should I just apply to both online? with the closing date tomoro I cant really delay applying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

needaname wrote: »
    Hi I have a quick question. I have my application completed and just waiting on the documentation. I received a grant for my undergrad which I completed in 2009 so am applying again for a post grad.

I went to my county council to hand in my application and tell them I was waiting on my documentation and would have them asap. But I was told that there has been changes in the last 2 years and as I am applying to an IT I now have to apply to the VEC.

So I went to the VEC and was told that I need to apply to the county council as I had previously held a grant with them.... Neither would accept my application. Should I just apply to both online? with the closing date tomoro I cant really delay applying

To the best of my knowledge, if hte gap is less than three years you apply with the previous council regardless. Also, if it really is the wrong council/VEC they should send it to the correct one on your behalf.

Got the bill in Friday from NUIM and still waiting on a decission regarding the grant from Kildare. I just got the forms back today stamped and just saying they are returning the original documents. Do I get another letter when they r decide?

Kildare will send you a letter when they decide. If NUIM demand payment earlier you can go talk to the fees office and see if they will give you an extension without penalty. The other option is to pay the fees now, and get refunded by NUIM when kildare pay them.

Most banks are willing to give short term loans to cover until the grant turns up, at which time you repay the loan wholly and in full, but talk to your bank manager about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

Ok people I'm so confused right now.

I'm currently 25, birthday was in May. Living with my girlfriend in her Grandads house since June 2009 looking after the grandad. We pay the bills but they're all in his name. Only have a joint bank account with my girlfriend with this address on it, everything else still gets sent to my mams house.

Started a Higher Certificate course in 2008 (2008/2009), took year off because of the grandads health and girlfriend being diagnosed with MS (2009/2010 off), repeated the first year 2010/2011 and now going into second year (2011/2012).

All this time I've being working part time, 20-25 hours a week, so pretty much independent mature student. (Girlfriend also working ~30 hours per week)

Now from what I can tell, I don't fit into the Independent Mature Student catagory, or the Dependent Mature Student (I was 22 on entry) or normal Dependent Student (if you were age 23 on 1/1/11, I was 24) :confused:

Anybody have any ideas what would be best to put down???

If you need anymore information or anything let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭harryohh

Hi

I'm currently looking at the checklist here and it's looking for
    a) College Offer
    b) FA1 form.

The thing is I've been a student since 2007 and just that due to a change in circumstances that the family income is below the thresholds. So this is the first year I am applying for a grant.

Is the above documentation still necessary for me?

Thanks

• Advertisement

They should send another letter when the decision is made

Terry Pratchet

MobyDick wrote: »
    Ok people I'm so confused right now.

I'm currently 25, birthday was in May. Living with my girlfriend in her Grandads house since June 2009 looking after the grandad. We pay the bills but they're all in his name. Only have a joint bank account with my girlfriend with this address on it, everything else still gets sent to my mams house.

Started a Higher Certificate course in 2008 (2008/2009), took year off because of the grandads health and girlfriend being diagnosed with MS (2009/2010 off), repeated the first year 2010/2011 and now going into second year (2011/2012).

All this time I've being working part time, 20-25 hours a week, so pretty much independent mature student. (Girlfriend also working ~30 hours per week)

Now from what I can tell, I don't fit into the Independent Mature Student catagory, or the Dependent Mature Student (I was 22 on entry) or normal Dependent Student (if you were age 23 on 1/1/11, I was 24) :confused:

Anybody have any ideas what would be best to put down???

If you need anymore information or anything let me know!

Right ok - If you were 22 on entry and you were living in your mothers house then - You are a dependent student as it is decided at the point of entry

Terry Pratchet

harryohh wrote: »
    Hi

I'm currently looking at the checklist here and it's looking for
    a) College Offer
    b) FA1 form.

The thing is I've been a student since 2007 and just that due to a change in circumstances that the family income is below the thresholds. So this is the first year I am applying for a grant.

Is the above documentation still necessary for me?

Thanks
    Send in whatever documentation shows that you are a registered student and it should suffice

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Wondering if someone could tell me when all documentation has to be in by?

I filled out a form online, but haven't got in to give all the documentation yet.

Thanks.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Wondering if someone could tell me when all documentation has to be in by?

I filled out a form online, but haven't got in to give all the documentation yet.

Thanks.

Send in whatever you have with a note saying the others will follow

Terry Pratchet

Should I send the original of my degree, or can I send a photocopy? The original is a big A3 sheet and I don't particularly want to fold it up into a envelope unless I have to.

Should I send the original of my degree, or can I send a photocopy? The original is a big A3 sheet and I don't particularly want to fold it up into a envelope unless I have to.

Why would you send your degree? what documentary evidence are you looking for?

Terry Pratchet

Why would you send your degree? what documentary evidence are you looking for?

From the guidance notes:
    Documentary evidence for C2
    If you have attended any course but not completed the course or have completed a course and
    hold a qualification, you must send us the following documents for each course:
    • a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance, and/or
    • a copy of the award you received if you completed a course. If you hold a qualification from outside of Ireland, you must have the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland confirm your qualification to the nearest comparable level in Ireland.

'a copy of the award you received' means photocopy I'm hoping?

From the guidance notes:

'a copy of the award you received' means photocopy I'm hoping?

Would it not be easier to get:

a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Would it not be easier to get:

a letter from a college or institution confirming your attendance

I'm just keen to get everything in tomorrow :) I'm going to call into their office because they don't seem to like answering the phone! I'll ask them if a copy will do but I'll bring the original along just incase.

Advertisement