Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst passenger you've been stuck with on a bus, train or plane?

Options
  • 19-06-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

Following on from the debate about the driver who threw the feckless mum and her yelling child off the bus in Britain, I wonder what's the worst passenger you've been stuck next to on a bus, train or plane?
    Was it a yelling kid being ignored by their parents? Or was it some hugely obese person whose lard spilled over into your personal space? Some drunk gobsh!te? A thuggish little chav carving his initials into the seat with a flick knife? Someone with appalling hygiene whose stink had you choking? Or something else again?

(PS: Mod, any chance of a poll on this one?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

A man in his twenties sitting across from me on the train taking pictures of my boobies.
    It was a fitted top, I'm top heavy & the train was rocking a bit so naturally they were jiggling.

He obviously wasn't well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

easyeason3 wrote: »
    A man in his twenties sitting across from me on the train taking pictures of my boobies.
    It was a fitted top, I'm top heavy & the train was rocking a bit so naturally they were jiggling.

He obviously wasn't well.

And I still have the pics.

High 5 guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iChatz

Following on from the debate about the driver who threw the feckless mum and her yelling child off the bus in Britain, I wonder what's the worst passenger you've been stuck next to on a bus, train or plane?
    Was it a yelling kid being ignored by their parents? Or was it some hugely obese person whose lard spilled over into your personal space? Some drunk gobsh!te? A thuggish little chav carving his initials into the seat with a flick knife? Someone with appalling hygiene whose stink had you choking? Or something else again?

(PS: Mod, any chance of a poll on this one?)

Just your average child kicking the back of the seat on the plane! Wrecks my head :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

group of drunks on a plane to turkey. Im all for having a good time, been pissed on many a flight, but these were jumpin around, singing and roaring at the top of their voice.

(serves me right for going to turkey)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Ronnie Biggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Some D4 head behind me on a plane to Italy, spent the whole 2 hours telling the stranger beside him about his new plan for a website. It was going to be bigger than Facebook from what I gather. The guy he was talking to didn't get a word in and I didn't get a wink of f*ckin sleep he was so loud. I'm getting cranky just thinking about him. It's guys like him that give dubs a bad name:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Northern Ireland football supporters on a plane coming back from Sweden.

A load of blokes with women who look like blokes acting like 5 year olds! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Anyone who puts their bag on the seat beside them. There should be notice on buses that you can't use a seat to put a bag on. It's the most thinly veiled way of trying to stop people sitting next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

iChatz wrote: »
    Just your average child kicking the back of the seat on the plane! Wrecks my head :mad:

+1
    I was on a flight this year and there was this child who kept kicking my seat. I got fed up and turned around and gave him a glare and his mother saw it. After I turned back around in my seat, I overheard the mother saying not to kick the man's chair to her child. I enjoyed the rest of my light.

In December, I was on a train back to Limerick after the Ireland Vs. Australia rugby match and there was an obnoxious drunk sitting near me and my friends who was spouting bs very loudly. He was very irritating.

I hate fat, sweaty and smelly people standing on packed buses near me when you see their sweat stains.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Anyone who puts their bag on the seat beside them. There should be notice on buses that you can't use a seat to put a bag on. It's the most thinly veiled way of trying to stop people sitting next to you.

Take the hint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Huge, huge man on a plane. No spare seats to move to.
    Looked kind of like this -

( ) / / <--- me and other guy being pushed to opposite side because he was so big

[/B]

Take the hint.

No, I will target you specifically and sit beside you if you have your bag on a seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

great idea for a thread, well where to start, anyone thats ridden public transport in the states will have a few stories i bet

for me, on one trip by bus (greyhound) from vegas to san francisco i was sitting in front of a guy who loved telling me his life story about who he had beat up, the prisons across the us he had frequented, the mexican guy with the bottle of tequila was out like a light about an hour into the trip. we picked up a hippy looking guy in sacramento who sat beside me and kept touching my arm and talking shi*e :(

on irish transport the infamous "philip" will live long in the memory, philip was a guy in his late 20s who looked normal but was obviously quite a few fries short of a happy meal

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A big black woman breastfeeding her kid on the seat across from me. It was uncomfortable to witness at the time I guess but didn't do any lasting damage to my fragile mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Travelling from Holyhead to London back in the 80s I was sitting opposite Mr & Mrs Jam. A family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children. They each had a black plastic bag with their clothes and an extra bag for the food and stuff. The mother made bread and jam sandwiches for all and in the meantime a boy probably 6 or 7 yrs old was spitting on the window and licking it up as it reached the bottom. As much as I have travelled I reckon I have met more obnoxious idiots travelling on this route than any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The one from special branch investigating me ;)

No, I will target you specifically and sit beside you if you have your bag on a seat :)

Fine. If you insist. But follow these rules:
    1) Don't try & start a conversation with me, in fact don't even make eye contact.
    2) Don't put your elbow on my arm rest. I was here first & if I have to elbow you in the face to claim my arm rest I will.
    3) If I have a bottle of water it goes without saying that, no, you can't have any.
    4) If I happen to have a magazine/ paper & I'm not reading it then don't ask to have a look at it.
    5) If I'm looking through my phone then don't try & look at it out of the corner of your eye.
    6) Don't even think for one minute that my shoulder can be used as a 'pillow' for you to drool, snot & cuddle into.

I think we should get on ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I once got the dart at rush hour and the train was jammed. I managed to get my hand on a pole so i wouldn't fall into people each time the train stopped, then this sweaty old fat guy got on and basically stole my pole. Instead of just holding onto it somewhere like a polite person he leaned against the whole thing leaving me with no room. After a while i said to myself "**** this, i'm not gonna let him bully me out of a space on the pole" so i grabbed it when he was leaning up for a bit and then he leaned back. I expected once he felt my hand there he'd apologise and let me have some space but no, he just leaned back and stayed there with my hand trapped between his sweaty neck and the pole.

After a few seconds i just couldn't take it and gave up, pulling my hand free from the pole. I could still feel his sweat on my hand so i looked at it and it was actually wet with this guys neck sweat.

:(. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

FearDark wrote: »
    And I still have the pics.

High 5 guys!

Pics or GTFO?

I should probably proffer my own travelling tales of co-passenger woe. Worst would be a tie between the troupe of tween disco-dancers from de nortsoide on the late flight back from Scotland who were being overseen by a couple of camp male dance tutors barrelling through Scotch to dull their own pain while the kids went totally ballistic, and the two school-age scummers on a citybus in Belfast loudly practising the sexual art of fisting at the back of the packed bus, mid-afternoon, right next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Some bastard on a plane from France sat in front of me and farted the whole way home he was a buddy of the air crew so I couldn't complain about him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I try to avoid public transport as much as possible,but the car was in the garage the other day so had to get the bus to Galway. It was packed so ended up sittin near the back, beside this ould farmer in his wellies and a good ould country smell coming from him too. There were a bunch of teenagers chatting away at the back of the bus. I'd my headphones on(don't get on a bus without them these days!) so they weren't annoying me really. The ould fella beside me though was going mad,kept muttering things and grunting to me and hopping around in his seat to give them dirty looks. He was nearly sitting on my lap at one stage! I was left sitting squashed up against the window all the way,cos he was sitting so arse ways to be able to stare at the girls talking. When the bus got to the terminus,he turned around and let a roar at them that they were too loud,which they weren't really. Poor girls were just frozen in shock for a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

First time I got the train by myself.

There'd been some hooha about terrorists getting arrested in Brum that weekend or something.

Sat down on the seat.
    Big, evil looking Asian bloke got on. 'Stop being racist, Tom' think I.
    He then takes out a Koran and reads it outloud.

I moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah I remember some silly bint across from me did that and advised everyone who stopped that she was holding the seat for someone. She wasn't holding it for anyone - and it was a really jammed train.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

brummytom wrote: »
    First time I got the train by myself.

There'd been some hooha about terrorists getting arrested in Brum that weekend or something.

Sat down on the seat.
    Big, evil looking Asian bloke got on. 'Stop being racist, Tom' think I.
    He then takes out a Koran and reads it outloud.

I moved

I lol'd :D I would have also done the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

a big woman sat next to me on a bus, so it was a tight squeeze. Her arms were covered in sores and she constantly scratched them. Scabs and skin flakes kept falling on my arm. Disgusting experience.

Fine. If you insist. But follow these rules:
    1) Don't try & start a conversation with me, in fact don't even make eye contact.
    2) Don't put your elbow on my arm rest. I was here first & if I have to elbow you in the face to claim my arm rest I will.
    3) If I have a bottle of water it goes without saying that, no, you can't have any.
    4) If I happen to have a magazine/ paper & I'm not reading it then don't ask to have a look at it.
    5) If I'm looking through my phone then don't try & look at it out of the corner of your eye.
    6) Don't even think for one minute that my shoulder can be used as a 'pillow' for you to drool, snot & cuddle into.

I think we should get on ok then.

Nvm, I think your bus is a little shorter than the one I'm getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 iChatz

+1
    I was on a flight this year and there was this child who kept kicking my seat. I got fed up and turned around and gave him a glare and his mother saw it. After I turned back around in my seat, I overheard the mother saying not to kick the man's chair to her child. I enjoyed the rest of my light.

In December, I was on a train back to Limerick after the Ireland Vs. Australia rugby match and there was an obnoxious drunk sitting near me and my friends who was spouting bs very loudly. He was very irritating.

I hate fat, sweaty and smelly people standing on packed buses near me when you see their sweat stains.

Yeah I was on a train a while back at this was at 8 in the morning and this guy started singing EXTREMELY loudly (terribly i might add) and started shouting at us "You are not immune to death" I mean what the hell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

I was incredibly hungover on a pretty long plane journey and the guy in front of me pushed his seat ALL the way back so I very politely asked me to push it forward a little......told me to go **** myself.....so had the ingenious idea of turning on my air con all the way up and directing it forward at his head.......pissed him rite off for the whole journey

I had my fun and thats all that matters!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I was a lone passenger on a London underground train carraige many years ago. At one stop, a man got on - and out of all the seats that were on the carriage he chose to sit on the seat directly opposite mine. He didn't look at me, in fact he looked spaced out. It seemed to take forever for the train to stop at the next station before I could change carriages.
    Believe me, I'd have preferred a screaming child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alright

Flew on a connection flight from Dallas to Oregon a few years ago
    and there was an ENORMOUS woman who must have bathed in very
    strong perfume at the window seat and a regular size lady in the
    aisle seat. I was squished and the smell was fierce! The woman was
    so big that the arm rest couldn't be put down to separate us.
    Woman at the window seat was eating babe ruth bars for the taxi
    and take off. I was thinking that's your problem right there....nom nom nom :mad:
    I asked to be moved but the flight was full.
    An air hostess came over to me after the seat belt sign went off and
    said there was another seat down the back. So off I went and there
    two free seats beside each other. So I sit in, delighted, and as I
    get settled this MASSIVE bloke taps me on the shoulder and says
    I'm in his seat. He must have been off destroying the jacks or something?
    I moved into the other seat and he spilled into the one
    beside me. Worst flight I was ever on!

I learned later that, apparently, Dallas is one of the fattest Citys in America :(

Advertisement