Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Landrover Discovery Td5 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TheBrack

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. It was running perfect on Thursday evening. Then not a sausage on Friday when I went our to it. It's turning over choice bothers. Just no bang. I don't have a diagnostic machine to suit it and the main dealer is in Galway city, I'd have to get it towed to them and then plugged in. Having recently finished work that's a non runner idea. I might have to look into getting a diagnostic tool as I won't be changing her for a good while I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Look at Hawkeye and Nanocom diagnostic gear, plenty of ads in the comics. Don't go near a main dealer for diagnostics, they are often clueless, there's independents who are better.

What's the state of your battery? If it's tired and it's cold, it may turn over the engine but not have enough poke to power the ecu and relays as well. Try a jump start, if it fires instantly that's your problem.

The other Td5 starting problem has been mentioned before, if the starter is failing but still works it sends a dirty electrical spike up the loom upsetting the signal from the CPS. If it fires on a tow start, the starter is faulty

The CPS is located on the bellhousing just above the starter, check the connection and remove the sensor to check for swarf. A malfunctioning CPS is the only sensor that will stop a Td5.

Thanks Sean. I spoke to my mechanic, he had a contact in LR who suggest that it is the pump in the tank. I am not too sure. I have ordered Hawkeye this evening as it is my intention to have this girl for a while and there is no point in peeing about with it. I found the CPS this afternoon alright - jesus - could no one in LR see that there is 1/3 of the bell housing available on the passanger side that would leave the CPS a 5 min job.

I'll be stearing clear of the LR dealer - they are sound people but it was €80 to plug in the wifes Honda with them a month ago so I presume that it's the same for the disco. Plus I'd have to get it to them, given that it's not running that's half the price of the Hawkeye and no parts or labour yet.

I was looking at the Hawkeye Manual, to see what way it presents the info to me - will it be codes? Any suggestions as to where I might get some more info on this - Is there an 'Idiots Guide to Hawkeye'?

Either ways a sharp learning curve this week, and it's only Monday.
    I'll be going around with Flyers in the supermarket carpark telling people I'll plugin their TD5 for a small fee I think.

I'll let ye know how I get on when the eye arrives.

Many thanks.

Failing fuel pump shouldn't stop it starting but make it run poorly. Usual indication is it gets noisy but not always. Unfortunately fuel pressure or flow aren't measured by the ecu so the only test is to plumb a gauge in to the FPR.

I have an early Nanocom and it has earned me several friends! Most of it's use had been on alarm/immobiliser issues, learning fobs and diagnosing failed MAFs.

Most of my knowledge has been gained from the various LR forums (I'm a member of several :rolleyes:) and speaking to other owners.

If you think the CPS is awkward, wait until you change an FPR on a D2!

There are some OK dealers but I know one who diagnosed a failed alarm unit at €350 plus fitting when the problem was a 10c fuse.

Thanks Sean, I'm on Landyzone uk also, it's a very good site. I have a gut feeling that its the imoboliser on this girl but I'm not sure. just have to go trough the motions................sure who'd steal it, they'd have to put diesel in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

TheBrack
    You should also join D2boysclub , I reckon it is the best D2 forum out there. Incredibly helpful, but they also have a very good hawkeye and nanocom section.

If you are really stuck, I have a nanocom evo and am based in Clare.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that. I might take you up on that.

Let us know how you get on and whether it turns out to be an immobiliser, fuel or starter issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Green Oval

The immobiliser failed on mine last summer. Total shutdown. Tow to dealer and fit new one. Not cheap.

Hi All,

I got my HawkEye today. I plugged her in and read a few codes. They are ranging from the following:

3129 Road speed missing
    3183 Injector 1 Peak Charge Logged
    3187 Injector 5 Peak Charge Logged

Ignoring the first one, the injector peak charge might be from me putting the jump leades on her I dont know. I decided to clear them and see if they come back on a crank and they didnt.

I have another error telling me that I have a 'CM Rom Checksum Error', any ideas?

There was a few other errors logged, but marked as historical about the compressor and the suspension, but nothing active.

I have the feeling i'll be going to town tomorrow to get the makings of a fuel pressure tester.

many thanks for any help.

• Advertisement

Just been doing a search on that and drawn a blank although there's suggestions of an ecu problem.

Hi Sean,

Same as that. Would I be right in presuming that the crank sensor would of shown up in Hawkeye as one of the below?

P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
    P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
    P0337 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input
    P0338 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input
    P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

I think I'll make one of these.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f50/device-measure-td5-fuel-pressure-125166.html

and see how i get on, it'll be cheaper than getting a fuel pump and it not being the problem

Would have thought so, although the only way to properly test a CPS is with an oscilloscope from what I've read.

That's a neat fuel pressure tester you've linked to.

yep, it's pretty neat looking alright. called into a few places today - all could sell me injector testing equipment only one, an agri supplier could sell me a pressure guage, and it could only go to 60psi. Off to the internet with me to do some shopping.

Found an unused 2000 standard model recently. Has'nt been used in a few months. 5 seater manual, gold, about 130,000miles. It appears all present and in good shape.

I have two issues. First, it won't start and the owner beleives the starter has failed. I had an old starter which would have fitted but as with all these things no sign of when i need it. Does anyone have a starter? Even a failed one i could get reconed would do. Anything beats buying a new one. Even a loan of a starter would do to ensure it will start. Anything considered. This is not urgent.
    Nothing will be done till December at this stage.
    Owner wants rid of car so the starter does not have to last forever. I could take out the existing starter and try to have that repaired i know. Repaired starters never seem to last very long.

Next issue. Anyone know what it might be worth? As far as i can tell it has no major issues and has'nt ever done anything odd which is out of the ordinary as far as trouble goes. It has a valid NCT till next April 2013. I only saw it once and it was dark and raining but it all seemed ok. Interior looked clean. No obvious dents or holes outside. I will be rechecking soon anyway, in daylight.

New third issue. Anybody want it or know somebody who might? Single female owner who knows nothing about cars so i'd like to see her get a fair deal. If she advertised it she might get hassle from tyre kickers and time wasters and she does'nt need that. She's not too happy about having strangers calling to her house so its tricky to do any advertising. Its not taxed so can't be moved.
    She might consider an exchange for a small car or a part exchange. It was parked up when she found the cost of running it too high. It did'nt stop.

It has a tow bar but i doubt it ever towed or had a hard life.

Any advice, help, ideas, etc would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Its a TD5 is it?
    The starter motor is a b******ed to get out of them but easy to recondition when out and goes back minus a holding bolt usually, (mine included although I have a defender).
    Between 1000-2000 Euro depending on what it is, leather with all the buttons or bog standard ?

Yeah, i've changed starters on them before. Not easy i know. Its standard spec. Top of the range leather ones are pretty rare i think.

I may end up taking out the starter and seeing can it be reconed. Thing is the car is 150km away. The cost of going there, coming back, fixing the starter and going back with it would buy a new one!

Found the missing starter. Panic over i think. I assume all TD5 starters are the same? The one i have is off an auto from 2003 so i can fit it to a 00 manual?

Green Oval wrote: »
    Found the missing starter. Panic over i think. I assume all TD5 starters are the same? The one i have is off an auto from 2003 so i can fit it to a 00 manual?

Yep part number NAD-101240, common starter on all TD5 engines Discovery and Defender.
    Best of luck with it.

Thanks OAP. I won't get to it for a few weeks. We'll see how it goes from there.
    Took my spare starter to an auto electrician who'll check it over for me. It was removed a year ago and was a bit sticky. Hopefully he'll sort it. I can keep the other one when i get it as a spare instead.

Not much point trying to sell it until we can get it started.

Speaking of selling i know somebody looking for a 110 Defender.
    Must be good and fairly recent. Anyone know where to find one?

• Advertisement

Sounds like it could be a good buy for someone who really wants a disco despite the motor tax cost.

It's getting to the stage they are worth so little that one of the lads over on the 4xforum has traybacked and roll caged one as an off roader. They are still prone to chassis rot as well going by one of the comics and that Richards Chassis are making new ones, I'd question whether it's worth it though!

I'd seriously consider looking at UK Defenders for a recent one, far more choice and more likely to have warranty. You might get lucky here, they are getting more common.

Hi All,

Thank you for the replys during this saga. Here is my update article.

Deciding to take the initative yesterday I decided to put a vicegrips on the return pipe to the fuel filter in the engine bay to rule out the FPR. She started fine but cut out again on revving. I was of the opnion the only luck I was having was bad luck. We then decided to put the jeep up on the lift again and put back in the origional CPK. When we had it up on the lift we realised that the diesel tank was dripping diesel - looking at the floor if the shed where she was parked the was now a small pool of diesel. We then made up a simple pressure testing guage and pressure tested all the pipes except the return to the tank (as this would have no effect on the running of the vehicle)
    To cut the rest of the tale out, there is a hole in the high pressure line feeding the engine. A combination of a possibly weaker pump to a new one, the hole in the pipe and injector washers/seals led to the girl not starting, and only the vice grips on the return pipe for a few secs forced enough diesel out to be noticeable. Blind luck I call it. We made up a temporary pipe and bypassed the pipe with the hole in it. She is starting perfect, revving fairly OK, topping out at 2800, engine light coming on and then cutting out. She might be doing this prior to the start of this saga as I would never even see 2500 rpm so I dont know. It could be that the temporary/makeshift pipe we made might have air in it (it's coming in the back door over the wheel arch at the moment so it has a high point in it that would be very hard to bleed) or even there is might be a small hole in another pipe some where.

I have a sneaking suspsion that the wastegate modulator isnt working - can anybody confirm this for me.....I have used the Hawkeye to test the wastegate modulator, i.e press and hold to pulse it, but I cannot hear the solenoid pulsing - I presume I should be able to?

I have ordered the pipes from LR in Enniskillin - TPToppings - these guys know their LR.

I was pricing parts in the south of ireland and I was told I could only be sold the filter housing as a whole to abtain the airbleed valve and non return valve/filter. This combined with the fact that there was a 4/5 day turn around on parts forced me to look further afield. I am able to order parts from TPToppings and they courior them to me for the next day.

I think that the DTC codes I was receiving was because the computer was getting a bit scrambled as she was dying essentially from diesel starvation.

To top it all off the story took another twist since we discovered this problem. I googled the fuel pipes on a TD5 and there was a recall on this very issue by landrover. According to LR Ireland, My discovery was done only a year ago........when my pipes arrive I will be documenting the existing pipe setup to see what has caused the hole as I cannot understand how the origional set of pipes lasted 7 years and the set installed under the recall only lasted a year!

This little experience has cost me over €1000 euro so far if I include the cost of a Hawkey and I havent even asked my mechanic what his bill will be yet.

I have quoted the text of the recall below:

Hopefully this issue even though it is well documented already won't catch anyone else and their wallet out. I'll post an image of the offending pipe when i get my hands on it and let ye know how my revs topping out issue gets sorted.

LAND ROVER announced a problem with the Discovery Series , Diesel TD5 affecting a total of 33,491 vehicles.

Rear fuel line may chafe with ABS/ Water sensor, and fuel pump harnesses with the possibility that a fuel leak may develop Vehicles built from 06/30/2001 to 04/19/2004 are at risk.

The following remedial action is necessary to address this problem. Remove original convolute tubing and replace with smooth PVC tape. Additionally, change fuel line, and re-route the wiring harness to run to the side of the fuel lines.

Vehicles with the following identification numbers are affected:

SALLTGM981A736101 to SALLTGM834A865281

Bit of an epic but sounds like you are getting there!

The pipes that were replaced under recall were known as the 'green fuel pipes', I had it done last year by the LR dealer in Limerick. The chaffing and leaking was quite a common problem by the sounds of it.

Good luck getting it sorted, would offer you the use of my nanocom evo in case there are gaps in what the hawkeye will tell you, if you are near Limerick or Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

Quick one for you all experts. How much wouldn't a full service for a 2000 TD5 cost more or less ? i mean a full service with oil change + oil filter + fuel filter + air filter etc ...
    Actually is there a list somewhere of what a full service includes for a discovery ?

Yes new to Discoveries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

ok just found that http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=67216
    That will do

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

Sorry if this goes off topic but I figured this was the best place to ask.

I am looking at a 2002 diso commercial GS and I was wondering if these had the airbag suspension and the ACE system. These I THINK could have been optional extras so was wondering how to tell if they are fitted.(Thinking it would cause less hassle if they were not...any thoughts?)

Cheers

Not off topic at all.

I'm pretty sue factory built commercials won't have them (I'm in the UK at the moment so can check my library) Conversion on import could be different, would depend on the the spec of original vehicle (lowest spec 5 seaters didn't have them either)

Airbags or coils are obvious (fit in the same place and suspension is otherwise identical) and ACE will look like a hydraulic ram on the front anti roll bars.

Both airbags and ACE should be trouble free if maintained, ignoring sagging suspension will burn out the suspension compressor in short order. There is less to go wrong with coils but at the expense of ride quality.

Also worth checking what lights some up on the dash during start up, if ACE is there (and operating correctly), a dash light in the shape of a vehicle front on with arrows either side should light up and go out. It should go red, then orange then disappear during the start up sequence and from memory, it is to the bottom left of the rev counter. There are a lot of lights that come up on the start up sequence of a td5 Disco (especially if it has all the toys).

As for the rear air suspension, there should be a button for raising the rear of the vehicle in the button cluster beside the A/C controls.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

Cheers for the help all but the bloody thing was sold on Saturday when I went to see it:mad::mad Oh well will have to keep looking:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭pcbscott

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but I have a TD5 - Steering Rack & PAS pump that came of my TD5.

Both need to be reconditioned. But if they would be of any use to anyone get in touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

I know this is a td5 thread but sorry for invading have 97 tdi disco water getting in passenger front floor and driver but not as bad twin sunroof how do I check the drain holes if it's not that where else would it be getting in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

This might be a bit of a random question, if so I'm really sorry and many appologies - but I'm looking to sell my 2002 Disco II (automatic) - Is there any good places to advertise or to head to, to try and sell it for something reasonable. I've been approached MANY times by those "cars for cash" lads offering me 800 for it, the bloody tax is still more than that! I've tried Auto Trader and Carzone with past cars and wasn't really happy with the outcomes. So any other suggestions would be great, I'm based near Athlone but willing to travel for good options. Thanks :)

landyman - check the drain tubes from the sunroof, push some thin cable or similar down them.

Also check if there's a blocked drain in the scuttle area where the heater intake is, could be blocked with leaves and debris.

Have you got any damaged door seals?

If you still can't find the source, are you losing any coolant? Failed heater matrix will cause damp footwells. Hope it isn't that as to change it you have to rip half the dash out.

Kali_kalika - have a look at the for sale thread above and post a link via Adverts.ie, sister site to here and the only way you can advertise on here.

Otherwise Donedeal seems to have wide coverage or you may get a sniff if you put it on the 4xforum (link in my sig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

Floor ringing wet when it rains figured out that water drains from sunroof down a piller out little hole which I discovered mud clogged in it so waiting to see if problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

Is there any good or bad points on a facelift model of the discovery 03-04 ?

ace86 wrote: »
    Is there any good or bad points on a facelift model of the discovery 03-04 ?
    Yes make sure it has a diff lock on the low leaver. Earlier models did not bother adding this because they thought traction control and other electronic gagets would be as good.
    Suspenision bags are a bargaining point if you know your stuff, if they work great if not drop the money 1000 and fix it for much less.
    The back door will only last 3 times left open when you pull off , DO NOT FORGET THIS.
    Its a great car with a fantastic engine (td5) enjoy

O.A.P wrote: »
    Yes make sure it has a diff lock on the low leaver. Earlier models did not bother adding this because they thought traction control and other electronic gagets would be as good.
    Suspenision bags are a bargaining point if you know your stuff, if they work great if not drop the money 1000 and fix it for much less.
    The back door will only last 3 times left open when you pull off , DO NOT FORGET THIS.
    Its a great car with a fantastic engine (td5) enjoy

Sound thanks I know of a friend of mine thinking of trading and I just wanted to know a few good and bad points, he put in spring and shocks in the suspension as he heard the air ones cause problems and also disconnected the ECM or something its to do with leveling the jeep in rough ground or the likes. Ah are the hinges and straps very weak in the back door or something if you don't mind my ignorance??

The spare wheel makes the door twice what the hinges need but it will be fine until you pull off with it open once or twice, maybe more not sure don't do it.
    A pity the air bags are it gone makes the disco and only needed a bit of minding at every service .

• Advertisement

If he changed to coil springs he would have to override the becm, there's usually a part in the kit too do it. As OAP says, it's a shame owners do it as airbags are easy to replace. Trouble is a lot of owners ignore leaks until the compressor dies and that's expensive.

D2s are getting to the age now where they are getting serious rot in the chassis behind the rear axle so watch for that. The bodies don't rot at all and Richards Chassis now reckon it's worthwhile them making replacement galvanised chassis.

O.A.P wrote: »
    The spare wheel makes the door twice what the hinges need but it will be fine until you pull off with it open once or twice, maybe more not sure don't do it.
    A pity the air bags are it gone makes the disco and only needed a bit of minding at every service .

I think the air suspension was ok in it but he wasn't going to go to the trouble of changing it if it broke so he changed out with the coil and spring said it would be easier and he finds no difference in it.

just purchased a 03 facelift model discovery just wondering is there any good landrover forums to sign up to or places landrover parts can be bought fairly reasonable forfuture reference.

d2boysclub I reckon is the best forum

island4x4 is very good for parts online, quite cheap in comparison to some of the bigger companies online and certainly cheaper than dealers.

On my second d2 now (a facelift ES auto) and hard to think what I would replace it with, excepting maybe a d3! Great machines, love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I just bought my first Discovery, it's an 03 auto. I'm a little nervous of the auto box, I've heard some horror stories about them but it had an easy life so far. No towing etc

What should I be expecting to get in mpg?

Kiltris wrote: »
    I just bought my first Discovery, it's an 03 auto. I'm a little nervous of the auto box, I've heard some horror stories about them but it had an easy life so far. No towing etc

What should I be expecting to get in mpg?

What are you using it for, towing between 22 - 28
    Everyday up and down the road to work between 25 -28
    Parked on the drive looking good 0
    but why would anyone do that,
    That's about the best value car from the 00s that I can think of, with full leather, air suspension . twin sunroofs , td5 engine and loads cheaper than a range rover get one now ,
    I like to work on my cars myself though and a 13 year old disco will need that, otherwise it will not be viable .
    So look it over well and offer what he wants less what it needs.
    If the air suspension is gone walk away. That car has not been serviced or looked after,
    That may not be true but but Id ask lots of questions, Why

Sorry just coped on that you have bought it.
    Well wear hope its lucky for you

The auto box is reliable but if you want to be sure get an autobox specialist to give it a service/oil change.

The only thing that goes wrong is the XYZ switch on the side of the box because some clown designed the aircon condensate drain to drip directly on it. Simple to fix if it goes and you can extend the drain with a bit of pipe.

They certainly are a very good buy although some are showing signs of bad chassis corrosion around the rear axle area now.

Here's one for all ye Disco heads....

The back of mine is all boxed out, as in I cant get into the back through any side doors AND the inevitable has happened, the back door handle is acting up!
    Is it a common problem with them and any ideas on how to get into it with out putting a rock through the back window?! :confused:

Kiltris wrote: »
    Here's one for all ye Disco heads....

The back of mine is all boxed out, as in I cant get into the back through any side doors AND the inevitable has happened, the back door handle is acting up!
    Is it a common problem with them and any ideas on how to get into it with out putting a rock through the back window?! :confused:

Got it sorted... I fished it open through a small whole in the bulk head...
    Panic over! Do the locks give trouble in them?!

There's a torsion spring that goes in a lot of LR door locks, could be that. Check ebay, plenty of ads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement