Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What source control are you using?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

How does Subversion handle that aspect better? There are ways to manage it in Mercurial and Git, but they've always felt a bit awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

I use tfs, by far the best source control I have used

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I use tfs, by far the best source control I have used
    What else have you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

croo wrote: »
    What else have you used?

git and svn

I haven't heard of tfs so excuse the dumb questions - what does it offer that makes it far superior to say git?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Use SVN, works fine. Main issue with using something else is everybody knows how to use SVN, it works, so why bother making everybody change to something else we don't know or need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I haven't heard of tfs so excuse the dumb questions - what does it offer that makes it far superior to say git?

FWIW tfs is an acronym for Team Foundation Server

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I was using Bitbucket together with TortoiseHg but I switched to Team Foundation Services once it was released (for free!).

Once I get to the point of having something for staging, I'll get it up and running with C.I with an environment on Azure.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Use Mercurial/BitBucket for home and work. I've used GitHub/Git for some micro programs built for learning purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Svn is fine. I used to panic a bit when it came to merging lots of commits though.

Well you are Colonel Panic! :pac:

Using SVN in work & starting to play about with Git at home just to get comfortable with DVCS.
    Use SVN, works fine. Main issue with using something else is everybody knows how to use SVN, it works, so why bother making everybody change to something else we don't know or need.

I thought that too, til one of the guys managed to delete trunk last week (Friday evening) & then botch a merge after we'd restored it :( I get it if you don't know all the status codes; I would've thought that 'C' is pretty common though :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Github for current work, and probably all new projects.
    Previously SVN.

Honestly, I think Git is way oversold. The centralised and relatively simple model supported by SVN is probably good enough for most peoples needs. A lot of people using Git on Github don't do anything more complicated.

I suspect Git, in its full glory, is much too clever for most of us.

Every now and again there's an article saying "OMG dont use rebase!" and everyone says "OMG, why?"
    Then later there's another popular article saying "Use rebase lots!" and its clear from the discussion that many people dont really understand whats going on.

But, just using Github, and sticking to the simple patterns, seems to be very good.
    Github has a very nice UI, its becoming a de facto standard, and they are adding progressively more and useful features, for code browsing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Using SVN at the moment in work. Tortoise SVN is handy.

Before that I was using Perforce in a previous company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

fergalr wrote: »
    Github for current work, and probably all new projects.
    Previously SVN.

Honestly, I think Git is way oversold. The centralised and relatively simple model supported by SVN is probably good enough for most peoples needs. A lot of people using Git on Github don't do anything more complicated.

I suspect Git, in its full glory, is much too clever for most of us.

Every now and again there's an article saying "OMG dont use rebase!" and everyone says "OMG, why?"
    Then later there's another popular article saying "Use rebase lots!" and its clear from the discussion that many people dont really understand whats going on.

But, just using Github, and sticking to the simple patterns, seems to be very good.
    Github has a very nice UI, its becoming a de facto standard, and they are adding progressively more and useful features, for code browsing etc.

I'm sure Git has loads of bells & whistles alright for the initiated, but I always thought the main reason to use it was that since you had your own repo, it meant you can effectively check-in changes without affecting anyone else.

Like doing feature branching, but with less overhead. I get to check in in tiny increments (e.g. every time I've a new passing test), but trunk (or rather the trunk of the repo of my CI build) stays clean & only gets pushed chunks of working functionality.

Think it's definitely a worthwhile feature (from my understanding), but think also that it will involve people rethinking how they mentally map what's going on behind the scenes of version control; that's the hard part to change.

I agree about DCMS in general. People jump on the bandwagon and blog posts about it are almost as common as people switching to or from NoSQL or some guff about the latest *.js library.

That said, for me the branching model of release, development and merging feature branches suits the workflow of some projects that. I work on and switching to the same model in work would so any of our problems but I'm confronted with people who share Tar's views.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

As mentioned the main reason I prefer git is the ability to do local commits before big ones. For very big or complicated changes in svn I have found myself starting a local git repo to track my own changes before commiting to trunk in svn.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Someone posted "Dropbox" and you respond to someone using SVN? :D:D

Dropbox can be used as a location for your git remote repository, I assumed that's what he meant. Looks like I was wrong :P

TFS is Team Foundation Server, it's Microsoft's source control system. The advantages are the great integration with Visual Studio, and the planning features around sprints etc (I think ALM is the acronym I'm after) are absolutely immense.

matrim wrote: »
    As mentioned the main reason I prefer git is the ability to do local commits before big ones. For very big or complicated changes in svn I have found myself starting a local git repo to track my own changes before commiting to trunk in svn.

That's a feature of distributed control in general.

Git's branching support is also top class - a very important feature for many developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

And of course TFS has Git Support too :)

ChRoMe wrote: »
    FWIW tfs is an acronym for Team Foundation Server
    awec wrote:
    FTFS is Team Foundation Server, it's Microsoft's source control system. The advantages are the great integration with Visual Studio, and the planning features around sprints etc (I think ALM is the acronym I'm after) are absolutely immense.

Aha - it's MS/Windows that explains why I 've not heard of it. I develop on linux. Looking at the links provided; so it's not purely a VC but more a github, launchpad (with its bazaar VCS) equivalent or maybe more a sourceforge type service? Is it cloud only are can you install in your own private network?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Aha - it's MS/Windows that explains why I 've not heard of it. I develop on linux. Looking at the links provided; so it's not purely a VC but more a github, launchpad (with its bazaar VCS) equivalent or maybe more a sourceforge type service? Is it cloud only are can you install in your own private network?

We run it locally on a private network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

SVN... Is it really that bad?

:pac:

There is Team Foundation Service (tfs.visualstudio.com) and there is Team Foundation Server. The second one is something you install on your own server on your own network. The first one is cloud hosted.

The cloud hosted one supports git for source control as well as the actual tfs source control.

Basically it's source control + all your management bundled up. Work items, sprints, bugs, planning etc. Very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

awec wrote: »
    Basically it's source control + all your management bundled up. Work items, sprints, bugs, planning etc. Very powerful.

Dont forget Build Management, Lab Management, Test Manager integration etc etc :).

One stop does pretty much everything you want although not always as you would like. If I remember right Lab Management only supports HyperV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

For my 2 cents... I use Fossil DVCS. Cross platform, fast, straightforward. Single executable. I use it because I need version control but have no time for most version control complexity :)

Fossil is the one based on SQLite, isn't it? I've been meaning to take a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

SVN at work, SVN & git at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

Fossil is the one based on SQLite, isn't it? I've been meaning to take a look at that.

That's the one. By the same author I believe. It might not suit everyone but it works for my little projects and I don't have to install it or remember how it works.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

awec wrote: »
    People still use that? :eek:

The whole point of a source code repository is that it will be around for a very long time! I've worked for several multinationals here that have their entire code base world wide checked into SVN, round it they have built release systems, risk management, audit procedures and what not. I'd say it is as embedded as SAP is for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

We use git with github at work...and i use git with google drive at home because i already pay for google drive so why bother paying for private github repos ;) (But I also obviously have some public github repos)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

When I left Sun in 2007, Solaris was still under sccs. I'm sure that up until the Oracle acquisition in 2010 that wouldn't have changed. They possibly changed it since, but that's a lot of source code history to deal with.

Advertisement