Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy,sugar & bread free diet-ideas please!!

Options
  • 25-02-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

In an effort to burn fat an hence tone up I'm cutting bread,sugar & dairy from my diet. I struggle at the best of times for meal ideas. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Particularly lunch & dinner ideas!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Vegetables
    Fruit
    Eggs
    Meat
    Fish
    Nuts

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You might want to keep an eye your calcium intake
    - the excuse for drinking water from the taps probably won't be enough
    - try and get it and other stuff from food instead of supplements - it keeps it interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Vegetables
    Fruit
    Eggs
    Meat
    Fish
    Nuts

Enjoy!
    Vegetables and fruit are often full of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Hi OP

I have recently embarked on a wheat, sugar and dairy free diet this is down to food intolerances.

You can buy alternatives to the majority of the foods you currently eat. Such as buckwheat pasta instead of the traditional wheat pasta.

Sesame sticks are a nice alternative to crisp

Sweet Potato is fantastic and is packed with loads of vitamins plus is extremely tasty.

Almond milk is great (but does contain a small amount of sugar)

Fruits do contain sugars but just be careful as to what fruits you eat and how often.

Go into a good health food shop and look around. Unfortunately some foods will taste horrible but its trial and error I'm afraid.

Again like with most diets be very careful. The above is my experience and might not be suited to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 snuffles1

Thanks so much for that Ron burgundy!
    I'm embarking on this for a period of time on the advice of my personal trainer.
    Dinners or breakfast aren't really a problem, it's lunches that I'm finding very difficult, I'd rather not rely on lettuce leaves all the time!! I don't mean to pry but what would you typically have for lunch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

snuffles1 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that Ron burgundy!
    I'm embarking on this for a period of time on the advice of my personal trainer.
    Dinners or breakfast aren't really a problem, it's lunches that I'm finding very difficult, I'd rather not rely on lettuce leaves all the time!! I don't mean to pry but what would you typically have for lunch?

Smaller portion of meat or fish and veg
    Boiled eggs if it's the weekend and I'm lazy

I didn't know buckwheat pasta was a thing, I'm going to have to try that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Unless you have an intolerance there is no need to cut bread or wheat out of your diet. Nor is there a need to cut dairy or remove sugar completely. Eating moderate amounts of these items is absolutely fine. If you wish to reduce your weight you need to eat less food in general.

Read the stickies and use their links to work out your daily calorie requirements, track what you eat on something like myfitnesspal and work from there. Cutting out bread will not cause you to lose weight my itself, you must eat less calories.

Toning up refers to improving your muscle profile, you wont really do that by burning fat and if you are not eating correctly you will lose both fat and muscle. You need to lift heavy things and eat enough protein to improve your muscle profile.

For lunch try hearty soups, tuna/chicken salad, quiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Msrob

Just wondering how you got on doing this I'm thinking about starting tomor

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

snuffles1 wrote: »
    In an effort to burn fat an hence tone up I'm cutting bread,sugar & dairy from my diet. I struggle at the best of times for meal ideas. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Particularly lunch & dinner ideas!

Thanks

Sugar and bread you will have little trouble doing with out. In terms of dairy the sugar free soy milk in Lidl is fortified with calcium or look around for almond milk.

In terms of lunch ideas you could substitute bread with oatcakes. I know aldi do a multi grain one for cheap, but you will find some healthy crackers or rice cakes in most places. Have them with a small amount of nut butter, hummus or guacamole. There's always soups and salads!

For dinner you could have lentil Dahl, curries, salad with quinoa as your sustitute for pasta/rice. Polenta is low fat so maybe Google "polenta recipes" and see if anything takes your fancy. Hot pots, cous cous with roast veg (use olive oil for roasting its the least likely to turn into a trans fat at high heats..or coconut oil which never will). Tagines, stuffed peppers/squash/mushrooms/tomatoes, moussaka, regular pasta dishes using grated vegetables instead of spaghetti e.g. zucchini.

Don't know if any of the above has sparked some ideas for you but hope it has :) Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Ah I see this is an old thread now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 snuffles1

arf91,I'm still open to all suggestions so thank you for the post -some interesting stuff there that I hadn't thought of!

Msrob, to answer your question I'm actually getting on ok - much better than I thought. There are still days that I struggle with what to eat for lunch but I've adopted the attitude of looking at what I can eat rather than what I can't. I won't lie, there have been really tough days but if you're determined you'll do it. Day 2 & day 4 were toughest for me for the sugar withdrawals, day 2 in particular I felt exhausted & had a splitting headache but I went with it and got over it. Going off the sugar has made a huge difference to my waist which is motivation in itself but in general I feel much less bloated & much healthier. The key for me is to allow myself a treat at the weekend.

In relation the alternatives I find soya milk a great alternative to milk, I enjoy rice cakes with peanut butter & banana or some walnuts or sunflower seeds as a snack. Fruit are a natural unrefined sugar so if feel a sugar craving a piece of fruit should help.

I've fell off the wagon a couple of times because of different social events we've gone to but it's much easier to go back to it as you're not starting from scratch.

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement