Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar detox

Options
  • 14-09-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

I want to go on a sugar detox, essentially avoiding anything processed.

Now I adore yoghurt. I find it really settles my stomach and a small amount of it will "finish" a meal for me. I want to continue eating it. I know that with anything low fat, it just means more sugar, so should I try and go for natural yoghurt, low fat yoghurt or fat free yoghurt? I always go for vanilla yoghurt, at the moment "Rachel's Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt"

Please don't say "No yoghurt" and leave it at that. I really love the stuff and don't plan on never eating it again! For me dairy has always finished a meal for me - for example, I will eat about half the food if I have a glass of milk with my meal. It is the last food group I'd ever eliminate!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

How do you feel about natural Greek yoghurt? Liberte plain (I stress plain if you want to keep it low fat and low sugar!!) greek yoghurt is low in sugar and has zero fat and high in protein. The taste takes some getting used to but really it's quite nice once you've really gotten adjusted to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Natural yoghurt with some berries?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gubbie wrote: »

Now I adore yoghurt. I find it really settles my stomach and a small amount of it will "finish" a meal for me. I want to continue eating it. I know that with anything low fat, it just means more sugar, so should I try and go for natural yoghurt, low fat yoghurt or fat free yoghurt? I always go for vanilla yoghurt, at the moment "Rachel's Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt"

Please don't say "No yoghurt" and leave it at that. I really love the stuff and don't plan on never eating it again! For me dairy has always finished a meal for me - for example, I will eat about half the food if I have a glass of milk with my meal. It is the last food group I'd ever eliminate!
    How do you feel about natural Greek yoghurt? Liberte plain (I stress plain if you want to keep it low fat and low sugar!!) greek yoghurt is low in sugar and has zero fat and high in protein. The taste takes some getting used to but really it's quite nice once you've really gotten adjusted to it. :)

No all fat free yoghurts had added sugar, but most do. Where I am yoplait do a low cal "Forme" range that has virtually no sugar or fat.
    A lot of natural yoghurts are naturally high in sugar. Dairy is general can be high in sugar. A litre of milk has the same sugar and a bottle of coke.

If want to cut out sugar for a while. You will need to either cut the yogurt/dairy out or else try very hard to find one with no sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I wouldn't go eliminating dairy

Just cut out the rest of the processed stuff and you will be fine

You don't need to cut sugar out completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Mellor wrote: »
    A litre of milk has the same sugar and a bottle of coke.

Milk has about half the sugar of coke by volume. Also coke is nothing but sugar whereas milk has lots of other nutritional benefits. It's not hard to find a plain low fat yogurt with no added sugar- just milk and cultures. I eat it with blueberries or passion fruit or stewed apples or pears.

• Advertisement

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Milk has about half the sugar of coke by volume
    :confused:
    A bottle of coke is half the volume of a litre of milk.
    So like I said, a litre of milk, has the same sugar content as a bottle of coke.
    Also coke is nothing but sugar whereas milk has lots of other nutritional benefits.
    I never said it didn't. I drink milk everyday right now. But I'm not trying to eliminate sugar.
    It's not hard to find a plain low fat yoghurt with no added sugar- just milk and cultures. I eat it with blueberries or passion fruit or stewed apples or pears.
    No added sugar, doesn't mean sugar free.
    And adding fruit, especially stewed apples and pears is essentially adding sugar.

The OP wants to cut out sugar, it's a pretty simple concept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you have to have one, liberte plain unflavoured has about 5g sugar per 175g (so < 3g per 100) which I think is the lowest you're going to get
    The flavoured ones shoot up to 12g+ per 100 and your Rachel vanilla one there is about 13-14g per 100

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I replaced my 'spoon of sugar' in my coffee with a spoon of xylitol and have never looked back!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

Well, it is and it isn't. It really depends on where the OP is coming from.

Many people will talk about cutting out sugar and what they actually mean is cutting out refined sugar/processed foods containing added sugar. I think this is what the OP is looking to do (based on: I want to go on a sugar detox, essentially avoiding anything processed) and if this is the case then I think a yoghurt with no added sugar is going to fit with what she's trying to achieve.
    Of course one could argue the details, but the fact is that natural yoghurt with some fresh fruit is likely hell of a lot healthier than flavoured yoghurt.

OP, if you're interested in sugar detox programmes, look up Dianne Sanfilippo. She has a 21 day sugar detox programme which you can purchase, but you can find the info for free if you look around her site.

Oh, and don't replace sugar with sweeteners. Loads of info to be found online on why that's a bad idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm cutting out all unprocessed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm cutting out all processed :)

FTFY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Blacktie. wrote: »
    FTFY.

Ha! Good point! Oops.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'm cutting out all unprocessed :)

Good

Nothing wrong with sugar if it's in food naturally. I get natural yoghurt from local farmer. Yes there is sugar in the milk but it's natural

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Why is "natural" sugar better than unnatural sugar, for want of a better word?

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Why is "natural" sugar better than unnatural sugar, for want of a better word?

In my opinion , added sugar is processed sugar that's usually added with other products.

A product that contains sugar naturally is 'natural '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

Just as a side note, if you have 90mins go watch "fed up" the American documentary. things we knew already but very eye opening

mickman wrote: »
    In my opinion , added sugar is processed sugar that's usually added with other products.

A product that contains sugar naturally is 'natural '
    I agree that its better to get sugar from fruit and dairy. But that's because the quantities are less, or because of the associated vitamins, the sugar itself is no different.
    The acceptability of sugar that's natural is overstated imo. Pretty much all sugar is "natural" in some form. Honey, maple syrup, mollasses, sugar cane, sugar beet, corn syrup, etc. You can easily overdo it on unprocessed natural sugars. People could be forgiven for thinking honey is guilt free, when its actually almost pure sugar.

I've no issue with small amounts of fruit or anything, I just have an issue with the natural label itsself. It's misleading imo. I'm talking more of the companies pushing "natural confectionery", or some other nonsense.

A bottle of coke is half the volume of a litre of milk.
    So like I said, a litre of milk, has the same sugar content as a bottle of coke.
    Oh, you meant a 500ml bottle of coke...I assumed a litre :o

No added sugar, doesn't mean sugar free.
    And adding fruit, especially stewed apples and pears is essentially adding sugar.

Cutting out all sugar might be simple conceptually but in practice would be pretty extreme and IMO unsustainable. Like another poster I assumed that she meant cut out refined sugar. I have a family history of diabetes and avoid processed food and refined sugar, occasionally have honey or maple syrup or dried fruit and eat fruit in moderation. I find it more practical than cutting out foods that are nutritionally beneficial just because they contain some amount of sugar.

I'm talking more of the companies pushing "natural confectionery", or some other nonsense.

Afaik they do contain refined sugar. I wouldn't go near them myself but I do get them for my kids occasionally and I have to say that the behavioural difference between after eating these and eating bog standard penny sweets containing fake colours and flavours is significant. I did lol at my bil eating a whole pack after a workout, cause they're natural ya know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Mellor that's exactly it. I go by the ‰ of sugar on food not whether it's natural or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Future1

roseybear wrote: »
    Just as a side note, if you have 90mins go watch "fed up" the American documentary. things we knew already but very eye opening

yeah its excellent. Its almost criminal the way the junk food industry is getting away with things.

Advertisement