Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Supplements for Recovery

Options
  • 21-09-2014 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I do 6 days of hard training, am currently taking an omega supplement tablet 2 times per day, but find that my muscles are still very sore and tight. I know very little next to nothing about Protein supplements: amount to take, frequency in which to take them, and there benefits, but was told that they do aid recovery after hard sessions.

My questions are:

- which protein supplement is the best to help recovery?.
    - Amount to take?.
    - What to mix the powder with?.

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You probably dont have enough protein in your diet full stop.

You should be eating somewhere around 2g per kg of bodyweight (this totally varies depending on your goals but this is a good ballpark figure)

You can get this from whole foods like meat and dairy. If you are struggling to get in enough from whole foods. buy a supplement to supplement your protein intake.

Buy it from myprotein, bulkpowders, etc and save yourself a fortune.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd personally recommend L-Glutamine. You take it twice a day usually after a work-out and before bed. It's helped my recovery more than anything else I've taken. Make sure you get plenty of good quality protein in your diet and drink plenty of water. Also chocolate milk is very good post work-out believe it or not. I usually just put my glutamine into my chocolate milk after my work-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TacAide

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd personally recommend L-Glutamine. You take it twice a day usually after a work-out and before bed. It's helped my recovery more than anything else I've taken. Make sure you get plenty of good quality protein in your diet and drink plenty of water. Also chocolate milk is very good post work-out believe it or not. I usually just put my glutamine into my chocolate milk after my work-out.

Really?!, chocolate milk, how would that help?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

TacAide wrote: »
    Really?!, chocolate milk, how would that help?.

I'd wager that it's got protein, fat, calories and vitamins in it, everything a growing boy needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lee_Torre

Whey protein is the best supplement to take, as far as actual food, egg protein and chicken breast have the highest amino acid profile, skim milk is also great. It is best to take after your workouts, timing isn't critial as long as your getting it in before you sleep.

0.8 grams per lb of body weight is enough but to make it easy I just go with 1 gram per lb of bodyweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 zeitner

Try get why protein with good levels of BCAA's and L- Glutamine in it followed by Vit C and fish oil for its strong anti-inflamatory properties. Am 40 and hit gym hard 5-6 times a week and find doing the above helps me recover a lot faster. Have tried many different brands of protein and revovery shakes etc over the years and through trial and error the above seems to work best for me. Everyone will find different things work for them but the above do the basics. Outside of the food and supps I see most guys in the gym never stretcg down enough or foam roll the muscles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

TacAide wrote: »
    I do 6 days of hard training, am currently taking an omega supplement tablet 2 times per day, but find that my muscles are still very sore and tight. I know very little next to nothing about Protein supplements: amount to take, frequency in which to take them, and there benefits, but was told that they do aid recovery after hard sessions.

My questions are:

- which protein supplement is the best to help recovery?.
    - Amount to take?.
    - What to mix the powder with?.

Thanks.

You didn't say what kind of training you do.
    Assuming you mean lifting weights, then are you leaving yourself enough time to recover? No amount of protein will compensate for over training.

Are you stretching adequately pre/post training?

Advertisement