Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinoa

Options
  • 16-09-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

is quinoa a good source of protein? have started making this the last couple of months with chicken fillets and some salad for a post workout meal. it is such a pain to make was wondering if it is worth the hassle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BigProblem wrote: »
    is quinoa a good source of protein? have started making this the last couple of months with chicken fillets and some salad for a post workout meal. it is such a pain to make was wondering if it is worth the hassle

There's about 4g per 100g of cooked quinoa.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

thanks not really worth the hassle of making so :) can you recommend a replacement for quinoa? im trying to cut down on carbs so that was the reason i started making quinoa

More salad? Bring in some avocado etc and the like if you want.

dont think salad fills you up... will have a look at avocados

dont think salad fills you up... will have a look at avocados

It depends what you put in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I thought Quinoa is high in carb because it was semolina based. Could be totally wrong on this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

It depends what you put in it.

Absolutely. 'Salad' has to one of the emptiest phrases in all of nutrition.

I have a massive appetite, but I've had some gorgeous bean salads recently that I simply couldn't finish. Stuffed after them.

Chickpea, avocado, feta, spring onion and coriander, with a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt, is a lovely, filling salad.

Look up different bean salads and find (or create) ones that meet your dietary requirements.

Absolutely. 'Salad' has to one of the emptiest phrases in all of nutrition.

Salad = leaves, innit.

That's the misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Make a mixed salad with lots of chicken and hard boiled eggs. Tons of protein in there. Make a decent olive oil dressing and you've also got extra fat in there - bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I thought Quinoa is high in carb because it was semolina based. Could be totally wrong on this though.

Couscous is semolina (grain) based. Quinoa isn't a grain it's a seed. Although despite this Quinoa only has a slighly lower carbohydrate content, and would be considered quite high carb.

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote: »
    Couscous is semolina (grain) based. Quinoa isn't a grain it's a seed. Although despite this Quinoa only has a slighly lower carbohydrate content, and would be considered quite high carb.

would quinoa be as high carb as pasta or rice?

would quinoa be as high carb as pasta or rice?

There are about 20g carbs per 100g cooked quinoa.

And it depends on the pasta and rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,028 ✭✭✭✭tk123

thanks not really worth the hassle of making so :)

Are you boiling it up for ages? I'd recommend one of these microwave steamers ;) - http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/food-preparation/klip-it-microwave-rice-steamer-26l/invt/056792

Advertisement