Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Surf photography/Art thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All the real moneys in art, you just gotta be real good at your bull****ting.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All the real moneys in art, you just gotta be real good at your bull****ting.

apparently faking your death is a good strategy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

There's a few weeks of work in these paintings. Factor in all your time and costs, and it's not a bad price for one of the top surf artists.
    There' ain't that much money for the artists I themselves I can tell you that much usually a ratio of 1/4.

I had someone tell me that €400 was too much for one of my paintings that was hanging in a gallery once. I had to break it down and explain that once the gallery commission is taken off (40 to 50%) and once the tax man got his share and the cost of canvas, framing and paint and brushes wear&tear is accounted for I'm left with about 90 to 100 ... and I won't even factor in the time spent painting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gavin Saturday

i'd love to buy a photo or two of surfing off the cliffs of moher
    anyone know where one might pick these up
    that guy who helped shoot the recent surf documentary perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Grtcraic

Laurens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Totally blowing my own trumpet, but here's two of mine from the Cliffs for sale.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/paudie/works/3381914-perfect-peek

http://www.redbubble.com/people/paudie/works/4532360-emerald-barrel

Mickey has the best shots of the cliffs, but his site is down at the moment, his email is INFO@MICKEYSMITH.CO.UK if you want to try contact him about getting prints.

paudie wrote: »
    Totally blowing my own trumpet, but here's two of mine from the Cliffs for sale.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/paudie/works/3381914-perfect-peek

http://www.redbubble.com/people/paudie/works/4532360-emerald-barrel

Mickey has the best shots of the cliffs, but his site is down at the moment, his email is INFO@MICKEYSMITH.CO.UK if you want to try contact him about getting prints.

I really like the first one.

255977.jpg

• Advertisement

^^Saw that earlier. Riley's I presume? Such a critical wave, surely the heaviest in the country?

Anyone know what happenned next? There's no way he made it out of that is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Look at the detail wall it's made at the bottom of the wave. Crazy stuff

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ^^Saw that earlier. Riley's I presume? Such a critical wave, surely the heaviest in the country?

Anyone know what happenned next? There's no way he made it out of that is there?

Yeh it doesn't look like he made it out of that one but I don't know for sure.Good story if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Jaysus that's draining. Nevermind wiping out, he could step off the board and run away across the reef...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I took this and few others at Mullaghmore last Thursday, Finn Mullan doing mental stuff on a windsurf.windsur2flarge.jpg

more on http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=257441

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

If you look closely at the photo, you'll see no one is surfing in it, guy bailed befotre the photo was taken

No, he's still on it there, just zoomed in on the RAW image and he's behind the sail, you can what looks like his legs. half a second later he did get mangled by that wave, but he held on for as long as he could.

Sorry look closer

14278.jpg

he bailed way earlier - @1.35 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7I9HUi438

Holy crap, yer right. apologies...

Got back swimming with a camera today.
    Poor conditions but great crack
    6844439706_4bb2042807.jpg
    First day back in the water with the new housing :) by beasley.j, on Flickr

• Advertisement

Whoring myself a little here, but this is the surf photography tread (and lets face it, Iv done a whole lot worse)

Here is my all singing, all dancing, swish new site!!!

www.johnbeasley.ie

(right, I lied, no singing, I hate music on sites and I aint got enough rhythm to dance but there are lots of nice surf shots, here)

Someone asked a while back about getting photos done for surf sessions, something Im currently looking into if anyone is interested.

Have a look around and let me know what ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lovely photographs John. I'd imagine any surfer looking for photographs of themselves would love one of your photos. Great composition.

Best of luck with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I've been doing a series of Irish waves for an exhibition in Kenny's in Galway during the volvo race. It's opening tonight if you're around Galway and fancy a look and will be on till mid july.
    post-1-1340362855.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Whoring myself a little here, but this is the surf photography tread (and lets face it, Iv done a whole lot worse)

Here is my all singing, all dancing, swish new site!!!

www.johnbeasley.ie

(right, I lied, no singing, I hate music on sites and I aint got enough rhythm to dance but there are lots of nice surf shots, here)

Someone asked a while back about getting photos done for surf sessions, something Im currently looking into if anyone is interested.

Have a look around and let me know what ye think

Amazing pics John, are some of them for sale?

Hi Merkin, thanks, yeah pretty much everything is for sale.
    I have a shop almost set up to go with the site but Iv two other projects on the go at the moment so Im just finding it hard to get the time to get the shop finalized.

Shoot me a email on what ever your interested in and we can work something out. Thanks for the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Posted on the Frothers facebook page..
    Pair of Dolphins on a wave in Bronte, thought it looked pretty cool so decided to share. No real surfing happening but yea :o

Fergal Smith in Tahiti, best shot I've seen in a while:

kuCm8l.jpg

Hi-res version: http://www.fergalsmith.com/blog/wp-content...01/TAH_3712.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

^^^^
    Very cool shot with a unique angle, wonder did the camera guy take a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

FlashD wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Very cool shot with a unique angle, wonder did the camera guy take a beating.
    I would bet he did!

Advertisement