Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer Salary

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Surely that's lower than Dublin? Anybody?

its lower, by a good bit for the city center. lucky to get a two bed under 1400 in city center thats not a squat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    I am in the US in the mechanical field, with similar (7 years) experience and even with the current horrible conversion rates would be looking at double the salary expected back in Ireland, with a much lower cost of living.

When I left college I waw offered a job starting at $46k. Couldnt get a visa in the end so had to turn it down for a job for €26k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Surely that's lower than Dublin? Anybody?

That's what they start at. The average I saw was a few hundred more so I said it looked similar to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

godtabh wrote: »
    When I left college I waw offered a job starting at $46k. Couldnt get a visa in the end so had to turn it down for a job for €26k

And its likely $46K was at the low end. I was offer $50K+ coming out of school with a bachelors and little experience and this was rural. I am just surprised at the large difference. Now with a Masters I get calls/emails from recruiters 2-3 times a week. I suppose it is all market driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

My rent is almost $1600 a month. My mortgage back home was E800 a month but that was in Donegal. Lots of work for fire engineers down here, experienced engineers would probably start on $90, 000 to $100, 000. Pm me if anybody is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That is an absolute joke. I'm working in the UK and on €37.5k with two years experience. Looks like I'll never be able to come home!

Where abouts in the UK are you based? I know a few people on similar salaries in London, but the cost of living is quite high so it tends to be on par with what is being offered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

VonLuck wrote: »
    Where abouts in the UK are you based? I know a few people on similar salaries in London, but the cost of living is quite high so it tends to be on par with what is being offered in Ireland.

Yes I'm based in London as well. I would agree cost of living is higher than Dublin but not massively. Still, I was comparing my salary (2 years experience) with that quoted for a chartered engineer with 10 years!.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The other thing to take into account is take home pay. I'm in the UK on 2k less than I was on in Ireland but I get roughly the same take home pay.

Edit: and that's after I pay into the pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭grateface

Ok,

I have very recently been chartered and have heard through the grapevine that the powers that be are intending to give a pay rise to those that have become chartered. Been advised to check out what other engineers with similar experience are earning.

Started in 2007 on 30k
    Reduced to 27k in 2008/2009
    Working now almost 7 years and have just become chartered (Consultancy - Roads Department).

Any advise on current salaries?

That is actually disgraceful. I didn't realise there was such a gap between different engineering disciplines.

I'm a process engineer in Leixlip with a masters and just hitting two years in the job.
    Started 2012 at 33K
    and at the end of 2013 gross pay was 37.9K including bonuses.
    Will rise again this year by another bit.

Hopefully your managment start treating their staff better imho.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

grateface wrote: »
    That is actually disgraceful. I didn't realise there was such a gap between different engineering disciplines.

I'm a process engineer in Leixlip with a masters and just hitting two years in the job.
    Started 2012 at 33K
    and at the end of 2013 gross pay was 37.9K including bonuses.
    Will rise again this year by another bit.

Hopefully your managment start treating their staff better imho.

I wonder who you work for?

Any ways civil traditional engineering companies are struggling. This is reflected in take home pay, regardless of grade

• Advertisement
Advertisement