Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Engineer Salary

Options
  • 29-11-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Ok,

I have very recently been chartered and have heard through the grapevine that the powers that be are intending to give a pay rise to those that have become chartered. Been advised to check out what other engineers with similar experience are earning.

Started in 2007 on 30k
    Reduced to 27k in 2008/2009
    Working now almost 7 years and have just become chartered (Consultancy - Roads Department).

Any advise on current salaries?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would think any bump in salary would be small. Maybe back up to €30k

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mikeltuam2010

I would totally agree, I was just asked to look into it by my manager as we are unsure what the current industry standard is. Thanks Godtabh

Check out the salary survey Engineers Ireland did last year (released the start of this year). Should give you some benchmarks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dónal wrote: »
    Check out the salary survey Engineers Ireland did last year (released the start of this year). Should give you some benchmarks.

DId they do another survey? Must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

godtabh wrote: »
    I would think any bump in salary would be small. Maybe back up to €30k

Is it that bad out there? I may be on the job hunt in the new year but seeing that a chartered engineer with 6 years experience should only expect €30k is very disheartening.

• Advertisement

Depends. If you are staying with your current employer any increase will be minimum.

If you are changing jobs and there is demand it could be a lot higher

Thanks all, checked out the IEI Salary Survey and apparently with 7 years experience and Chartered, the minimum on the survey is......€38,000.... €9,000 more than I am currently on.

Thanks all, checked out the IEI Salary Survey and apparently with 7 years experience and Chartered, the minimum on the survey is......€38,000.... €9,000 more than I am currently on.

Do you have a link to the survey?

Only available to download from IEI if you are a member, you need to sign in with username and password then it shows up under your profile as a link to salary survey 2012. If not a member PM me your email and I will email you a copy

I am a member but havent a clue where my card is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Is this years post becoming chartered or just 7 years and chartered?

junior engineer with 7 years experience and chartered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that salary based on all engineering sectors? It would be hard to use that as a guideline for a civil engineer's salary if it is also encompassing, for instance, a chemical engineers average salary as well.

Good point, but the report does state, section 3.3 "So far as it was possible to ascertain, there did not appear to be any major differences in membership status between engineering disciplines" and "Regardless of sector, in almost every case the median salaries of Chartered Engineers compare favourably to members with the same amount of experience.".

The median for private sector is €38,000 which corresponds to other tables.

VonLuck wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that salary based on all engineering sectors? It would be hard to use that as a guideline for a civil engineer's salary if it is also encompassing, for instance, a chemical engineers average salary as well.

After reading it it is generalised. I would be hard to infer a salary based on the survey. You would need an industry specific survey

Only available to download from IEI if you are a member, you need to sign in with username and password then it shows up under your profile as a link to salary survey 2012. If not a member PM me your email and I will email you a copy

Thanks for the email

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

Good point, but the report does state, section 3.3 "So far as it was possible to ascertain, there did not appear to be any major differences in membership status between engineering disciplines" and "Regardless of sector, in almost every case the median salaries of Chartered Engineers compare favourably to members with the same amount of experience.".

The median for private sector is €38,000 which corresponds to other tables.

Do people feel that €38K is a fair salary for Chartered Engineers? Personally I think the job is too stressful and we take on too much responsibility for €38K! Chartered Structural Engineer here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tommyboru

I am Chartered and have been working for 15 years although I have exited technical work since the recession began.

I currently earn about 40,000 euro a year from a couple of different sources.

I could probably earn another 20% on top of that if I resumed technical work but, as suggested, the stress, time commitment and family sacrifice are too high.

The 'Chinese effect' and mass migration is devastating the career prospects of engineers in Ireland. We just cannot compete with the Eastern work ethic and the continental European reputation for quality. You are better off pursuing business as a career. The Irish have a natural talent for people skills.

That said, a good engineering degree is a great asset in any business career. Top that up with a business or accounting qualification and you should get your career remuneration to that level which chartered engineers once earned in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Do people feel that €38K is a fair salary for Chartered Engineers?

No - it seriously undervalues the qualification and the profession.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The other thing the report states is that a chartered engineer with 6-10 years experience can earn up to €5k more than a non-chartered engineer with similar experience. I'd ask for the full €5k considering your salary is well below the norm for someone of your experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Low to mid 30's seems to be common for chartered civil&structural engineers with 7-12yrs experience working in the private sector. It does undervalue the profession, but we have just come through what was possibly the most difficult period for construction in Ireland. Things are improving salary wise . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

con1982 wrote: »
    Low to mid 30's seems to be common for chartered civil&structural engineers with 7-12yrs experience working in the private sector. It does undervalue the profession, but we have just come through what was possibly the most difficult period for construction in Ireland. Things are improving salary wise . . . .

That is an absolute joke. I'm working in the UK and on €37.5k with two years experience. Looks like I'll never be able to come home!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

con1982 wrote: »

According to whom? Certainly not Engineers Ireland, if their survey is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I got a job in New Zealand straight out of college, no experience. 36.5K, got a raise 6 months later to 39.5K Euros. If rent wasent so expensive here I would be laughing.

I got a job in New Zealand straight out of college, no experience. 36.5K, got a raise 6 months later to 39.5K Euros. If rent wasent so expensive here I would be laughing.

How much is your rent? I would not have expected anywhere in NZ to be more expensive than Dublin!

How much is your rent? I would not have expected anywhere in NZ to be more expensive than Dublin!

Just checking there, a two bed starts at around €950/month in the centre of Auckland. I'd say it's around the same as Dublin. Don't know how the bills stack up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

It does depend on your sector and the salary survey can only be used as a guide. I am a chartered chemical engineer with 7 years experience. I didn't get a raise when I became chartered as my company don't do that but I have steadily increased through the years. I work for a consultants which is different private sector but in my opinion 7 years on 30K is way to low. You should have gotten increases for inflation alone.

According to whom? Certainly not Engineers Ireland, if their survey is anything to go by.

It seems very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

I am in the US in the mechanical field, with similar (7 years) experience and even with the current horrible conversion rates would be looking at double the salary expected back in Ireland, with a much lower cost of living.

• Advertisement

Just checking there, a two bed starts at around €950/month in the centre of Auckland. I'd say it's around the same as Dublin. Don't know how the bills stack up though.

Surely that's lower than Dublin? Anybody?

Advertisement