Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.esta.ie - Stupid mistake - concern re data

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

To be fair it's the very first site that comes up when one puts 'ESTA' into Google. It's slightly provincial to think it would be "esta.ie".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Loads of sites like this one showing up on Google.

The official site is the first option on a Google search so it shouldn't be that hard to tell them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Sorry for bumping the thread but what did you guys put as the refund reason, a friend of mine just got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

loopymum wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping the thread but what did you guys put as the refund reason, a friend of mine just got caught.

You will get nothing back as you agreed to pay it, would be like buying a can of coke for €1 in a corner shop when you could have bought the same can in a major supermarket for maybe 50 cent and then looking for a refund.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I sent them this. Had a reply and the refund a few hours later.
    Re: Refund Request

Could I please either cancel the payment or request a refund for the ESTA application that I just placed through your website? Your website misleaded me into believing that I was applying for the official waiver and I now see that that was not done. The application was only just put through (around [Time] GMT on [Date]).

My full name is [Name]
    The Last four digits of the card are [****] and it was a Visa Debit
    The email used was this one: [Email]

I hope that you will be able to do this quickly or I will instruct my bank to reverse the payment. [/email]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thank you XxMCR... I appreciate it, thanks for taking the time to reply. I just checked the website they used and it's 15 days for refunds.

Atlantic Dawn, maybe you should have read the thread and my post before throwing in your tuppence worth

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

loopymum wrote: »
    Thank you XxMCR... I appreciate it, thanks for taking the time to reply. I just checked the website they used and it's 15 days for refunds.

Atlantic Dawn, maybe you should have read the thread and my post before throwing in your tuppence worth

They were able to cancel my payment before it had actually give through so your friend might be lucky and have the same happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

The seem to be happy to return the money when asked, is that correct?

<SNIP>.

I found this site recently too, when I wanted to look at my current ESTA details. I knew it was <SNIP> so filled in dummy details so that it would let me through to the nest step. If the price was €30 or something, and the site was far simpler to use than the real one, I wouldn't have and issue, but they've basically built a skin for the real site and both are identical to use.

You fill out the entire form on a very official looking website, and it's only at the very end, in the middle of a paragraph of small print that it shows the price you'll be charged. Now why can't the CIA do the general public a favour and take down sites like this?

I can easily see how an older or less tech aware person could be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: @Posters: There have a been a number allegations posted regarding the site. Please note esta.ie clearly states in a number of places including their homepage that they are a private company offering a paid-for service.
    Legal Disclaimer:This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.
    When you apply for an ESTA you are brought to a landing page which clearly states that they are a private company. This is repeated in their T&Cs.
    About Us
    Evisaservices.com provides the following service: We review and process applications for electronic travel authorizations (E-visa) to visit Turkey, Canada, Cambodia and additional countries. Evisaservices.com is privately owned and operated, and has no connection with any government department, agency, or bureau. You may browse the site or ask questions for free.

By all means complain about not realising you were entering a contract with a commercial visa agency or if you had problems dealing with them but please do not make unfounded claims regarding the legitimacy of the site, the company or the service offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 padraigdin

I applied for the US esta visa waver on the web site esta.ie

I have now found out its not genuine do I need to be concerned about my passport
    I've cancelled my credit card.

can you let me know if they mis/used your personal information ?

Thanks,
    Padraig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

padraigdin wrote: »
    I applied for the US esta visa waver on the web site esta.ie

I have now found out its not genuine do I need to be concerned about my passport
    I've cancelled my credit card.

can you let me know if they mis/used your personal information ?

Thanks,
    Padraig.
    The site belongs to a legitimate online visa business registered in Liechtenstein.
    http://www.firmensuche.li/htm/647/de/Firmendaten-eVisa-Services-AG.htm?subj=2491288&SetLoggedOut=1

The site does not purport to be the US Government's official ESTA site, so in that sense it is genuine. Most of the posts here are about people doing what you did and mistook it for the US gov site rather than any experiencing any problems with the service offered.

There is nothing to indicate you need to be particularly concerned about misuse of your details. It seems you may have over-reacted by cancelling your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 padraigdin

I hope your correct, did anyone notice any issues after using this site ?
    In fairness They did give me a refund
    p.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

F**K just got <SNIP> on this site. It should be much clearer that it is not legitimate. My main concern is not the money but the information that I gave. Sh*t. I have emailed demanding a refund. Anyone caught the same way should remember to demand deletion of data. Sigh. I am tired after a long week and am just raging with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul_F_Dub

I am much too intelligent to fall for something like this. ooooops

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paul_F_Dub

OK - they cancelled it after a cranky e-mail

Dear [Paul_F_Dub],

We have canceled your processing request.

The credit card transaction has been canceled and you will not be charged for our services.

The authorization placed on your card has been voided and your card issuer will remove the payment from your card.

Regards,

Customer Service Dept.

eVisaServices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just got stung with this website! Thought it was the official site and it was only AFTER i submitted my card details that I learned they were charging me 89 EUR!

Have emailed them looking for a refund and threatening them with a chargeback.

Worried about my personal details falling into the wrong hands now. Has anyone complained about this website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

They just refunded me. At least they're quick to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Can anyone confirm the actual correct site to apply for the ESTA? Is it this one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

Does anyone know if they can cancel my approved esta visa. Stupidly went through the site, got my visa, asked for and was refunded the total amount.

So I have the visa, can confirm my application on the real esta website but never paid for it.... was refunded the complete amount from the non official site

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

connundrum wrote: »
    We're travelling to America and I was in a rush to get the ESTA done and in my haste I googled and scrolled down to www.esta.ie and quickly input all data - the form looked similar to the ESTA form I'd filled out a few years ago.

Anyway, very quickly after clicking the (Goddamn) pay now button did I realise that the whole site was a con.

So, I've handed over basically every personal detail barring my blood type, and have paid handsomely for it with my VISA card.

So far I've been on to the bank and they've put the transaction under investigation and have asked me to provide documentation to back up my claim (grand).

I've been on to the data protection office to see what can be done about my data - they can't help. I've tried calling the US Embassy to inform them of this site, but can not get past their automated system.

I am raging about this, and I'm usually so careful with everything.

How can the .ie site be registered in this fashion? I thought the 'rigorous' application process for .ie domains is supposed to help with this crap. And how do google allow it to rank 2nd? Bah

Can anyone help, or advise?

The whois info thrown up for the site is pretty useless IMO?

https://who.is/whois/www.esta.ie

I almost fell for this, was doing the ESTA last month for the family, filled it all in, only when I got to the end and it asked for $94 dollars per person, rather than the $14 that is the official charge, did I realise my error. Luckily, I didn't pay and went to the official site.

There are other sites that do this for EHIC cards that charge you too. I don't think it is illegal, so I think you may just have to bite the bullet. Maybe try the consumer association, they won't be able to shut it down, but they will be able to publicise it. Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

This post has been deleted.

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Hi.

Stupidly fell for this scam website.

I'm now worried because I haven't received a confirmation email from them and therefore have no reference number etc. to look for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev_12345

Hi NufcNavan

I got caught just today with the same site.

Emailed for a refund and waiting on reply.

Did you receive the payment confirmation email? I didn't get one either, but can see transaction on my bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It says this at the bottom of

www.esta.ie :
    Legal Disclaimer: This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization.

We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States.

Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kev_12345

Thanks. I stupidly missed this as I was rushing to submit application and distracted I didn't scroll to bottom of the website, so totally my own fault, however I never received confirmation email for the application and consider this poor service. Poor service is stated as a reasonable claim for refund under their refund policy. Waiting to hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

kev_12345 wrote: »
    .... however I never received confirmation email for the application and consider this poor service.

The official ESTA website doesn't send you a confirmation e-mail either so easy on the high horse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

coylemj wrote: »
    The official ESTA website doesn't send you a confirmation e-mail either so easy on the high horse stuff.

What's with the attitude? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

I really don't understand why anyone thinks this is a scam or are surprised when they use it. It clearly has the below on every page on its website.

"Legal Disclaimer: This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit."

I guess even now in this day and age people still just sign up and provide details to any website that asks, without looking into more detail about who they are dealing with. No wonder there so many actual scams out there, seems like it'd be easy to extract information from a good few people.

Advertisement