Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

:D

GlsO4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Young guns saying that even with good news wilshere is out for 6 weeks. End of the season it's looking like.

On the other hand chamakh is coming back early from the acn, woooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wilshere = TV this year around. We'll see him for the last two games of the season.

The last two years have really been banging your head against the wall stuff for us. A bit of respite would nice.

Dear Football Gods,

We would be most obliged if you could supply one of the following [in order of priority] (i) Champions League (ii) 4th place (iii) FA Cup.

Many thanks,

Long suffering Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Young guns saying that even with good news wilshere is out for 6 weeks. End of the season it's looking like.

On the other hand chamakh is coming back early from the acn, woooooo!

Hooray!!!! :rolleyes:

Hopefully he gets lost (just until February even) somewhere on the way and Wenger has to sign a (capable) replacement for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    Brilliant. He's the glue that's holding our midfield together IMO. Hopefully he's had a decent rest because we need him to play every game.

Nice simple play, keeps posession and gives both Walcott and Ramsey a dig out while also letting both stick to what they're good at. Basically he's the one balancing our midfield at the moment and ensuring that we dominate posession.

If he and RVP were to stay fit, I can see us putting together a run to overtake Chelsea.

Oops. For some reason typed Walcott instead of Song there.

Obviously it was an error because Walcott has been poor recently regardless of who's on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think wenger will use the ox as an extra central midfielder in wilsheres absence from his comments this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think wenger will use the ox as an extra central midfielder in wilsheres absence from his comments this morning

Yeah that'd be worth a shot, although it keeps Walcott and arshavin on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Just read the little article on the arsenal site about Wenger praising kos, saying he's one of the best in the league this season. I know many here like him and would probably agree but has he got any notice outside of arsenal fans? Even that thread about team of the season so far, he doesn't even get considered for a bench place for non arsenal fans? I dunno i guess people still think our defense is sh!te therefore anyone playing there must be too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Koscielny is good enough but he did play at Old Trafford when the defence shipped 8 goals. He has improved this season but he needs to bulk up a bit, that said I wouldn't have him a team of the season ahead of Vermaelen or Kompany.

I thought he looked very poor last year remember the Carling Cup final, he lost us that imo. He has put it behind him now though.

• Advertisement

Typical penny pinching, the fact he hasn't bought anyone this month is a disgrace. And then he will blame injuries once again, like he already has despite the fact he won't buy or loan anyone.

He would rather move Chamberlain out of his position and play the ****e like Arshavin and Walcott, then actually going and buying a proper quality player to improve the side.

Thank **** his days at the club are numbered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

There's a lot of rumours regarding Eden Hazard floating around today.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

DB10 wrote: »
    Koscielny is good enough but he did play at Old Trafford when the defence shipped 8 goals. He has improved this season but he needs to bulk up a bit, that said I wouldn't have him a team of the season ahead of Vermaelen or Kompany.

I thought he looked very poor last year remember the Carling Cup final, he lost us that imo. He has put it behind him now though.

He's big enough for his role tbh.

I no Verm is the fan favourite but I think kos is hanging a better season so far

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Thank **** his days at the club are numbered.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The board ovb love the job he's doing so they won't fire him. The only way he'll be gone is if he decides he's had enough.

I'd love to see some money spent but i do see that buying "ready made" players does hurt the progress of our youths. I thinki my main gripes with Wenger are he doesn't seem to have such an eye for the youth players anymore, he puts too much faith in some players who really don't repay it, he is far too stubborn to alter his tactics even though the player that those tactics were built around is gone.

Overall I don't really want Wenger gone, I dont see many replacements who could do what he's done with the limitations he's been under. What I want to see is Wenger opening up to some other points of view, and a change in his damn tactical set-up. These things and a few changes in staff and we'll be right back up there challenging for titles.

newbie2 wrote: »

When is there not? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »

I will eat my hat...and i don't even own a hat. That's how confident i am that no hat eating will need to take place.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The board ovb love the job he's doing so they won't fire him. The only way he'll be gone is if he decides he's had enough.

I'd love to see some money spent but i do see that buying "ready made" players does hurt the progress of our youths. I thinki my main gripes with Wenger are he doesn't seem to have such an eye for the youth players anymore, he puts too much faith in some players who really don't repay it, he is far too stubborn to alter his tactics even though the player that those tactics were built around is gone.

Overall I don't really want Wenger gone, I dont see many replacements who could do what he's done with the limitations he's been under. What I want to see is Wenger opening up to some other points of view, and a change in his damn tactical set-up. These things and a few changes in staff and we'll be right back up there challenging for titles.

Tbh I've wanted Wenger gone for a long time. I have gone into why in detail before and won't now, but suffice to say, I cannot see us winning another trophy while Wenger remains at the club.

The Wenger of now is not the same as the Wenger pre 2008. The difference is so vast one might think it was a different man. Wenger has become bigger than the club sadly, he is accountable to nobody. He even played a part in choosing the club chief executive who he should be accountable to.

Wenger would rather do the opposite to the teams weaknesses, and lose games, then actually listen and win, just so he can prove people wrong.
    Fact is he is hanging by on his reputation alone, he is a big name. If Moyes spent 54m pounds like Wenger did last summer, I am very confident Everton would be ahead of us in the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

If Moyes spent 54m pounds like Wenger did last summer, I am very confident Everton would be ahead of us in the table.
    Bad comparison, you fail to point out that the net spend of both Arsenal and Everton last summer were pretty much exactly the same. The fact of the matter is that there is no way Arsenal would have spent 54m if they didn't bring in 61m+ from sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

It was a net -£20m he spent. But meh, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The bit in bold is what gets me, a lot of people go on about our lack of money and Wengers under financial constraints, yet every transfer window well hear from the board that funds are available for players transfers if Wenger wants them. Yet very few happen so if were to believe the board its not there fault at all its the managers,ok maybe the board are lying to the fans but in that case why doesnt Wenger come out and say look ive no money to spend and be honest about it? Because as far as I can see if we take everyone on there word the board are giving funds but Wengers to stubborn to admit hes made mistakes a bring in the players that could make the differance.

So for me im taking everyone on there word and in that case not only do our tactics, and motivation fall on Wenger so does our last of activity in the tansfer market along with the ridicilous wages we have some players on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The Carling Cup was awful and there were another couple of poor games as well, but in general he was pretty solid throughout, especially as he had to cope without Vermaelen and it was his first season in the Premier league. I thought he was under-rated last year. Rather than remember the Carling Cup final, I prefer to think of his amazing performance in the 2 games with Barca. He really showed what he was capable of against the best opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Agreed, Koscielny has been at least in the top 3 players of Arsenal's Season. Despite mistakes last season, I felt he was constantly developing and adapting. I don't mind giving players like him bedding in time, as long as he's trying and improving which he clearly was.

Him and Verm could be a central defensive partnership to envy for years to come, injuries not withstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

ok maybe the board are lying to the fans but in that case why doesnt Wenger come out and say look ive no money to spend and be honest about it

Wenger has always operated behind a smokescreen...from protecting players who screw up, to the board...nobody knows what's going on behind the scenes. It would not be in Arsenal's interest to admit they have no money to spend...you risk players looking to leave..clubs looking to poach and that's just the football problems. Admitting to having no money would cause a lot of business problems also.

What I'm saying is...the only ones who know what's going on are Wenger and the board, everyone else can only rely on their words and actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone on t.v. today before the Liv v Utd game while talking about Ferguson stated that he gave players a chance to prove themselves but if they didn't he got rid of them. Ferguson never put up with mediocrity for long. That cannot be said for Wenger. He stands by useless players and that is what is dragging us down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I no Verm is the fan favourite but I think kos is hanging a better season so far

They're two different players, it's why Vermaelen is a corner back right now. Koscielny would be better at LB but less better than Vermaelen would be at CB next to Per. If we had two Koscielnys we could basically through 5 pub players in and be sorted. Ball winner/tackler at centre back and the other Koscielny running down wingers. It would be awesome. Actually **** it, 4 Koscielnys, that's what ya want.

But yeah, he is awesome and I hope he gets the credit he deserves. If he made 5 straight-up ****-ups a year that led directly to goals it still wouldn't go halfway to cover what he saves. As I keep pointing out, last season while Vermaelen was out while it was Kos and Djourou at CB they went something like 15 games unbeaten.

I really look forward to the next FIFA game. As soon as there's a counter-attack just switch to Koscielny and slide tackle like a ****in boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Someone on t.v. today before the Liv v Utd game while talking about Ferguson stated that he gave players a chance to prove themselves but if they didn't he got rid of them. Ferguson never put up with mediocrity for long. That cannot be said for Wenger. He stands by useless players and that is what is dragging us down.

There's a theory that gets mentioned by pundits/football writers sometimes that part of arsenal's problems is that wenger never changes his coaching staff - he even persuaded pat rice to stay on for another year - whereas ferguson has changed them several times.
    rice & primorac hace been there for years and are thought to offer nothing different to the thinking of wenger

regarding kocielny that mix up in the CC final has actually helped him - he even said himself that he started to concentrate more/work harder after it - every cloud and all that nonsense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

When we have sagna, santos, gibbs, et al fit again what would be your back four?

Sagna, Kos, Verm, Santos.

Thats leaving out jenkinson, djourou, mertesacker, gibbs.

Imagine when Wilshere comes back next year too?
    We'll be brilliant....!!!!

When we have sagna, santos, gibbs, et al fit again what would be your back four?

Sagna, Kos, Verm, Santos.

Thats leaving out jenkinson, djourou, mertesacker, gibbs.

Imagine when Wilshere comes back next year too?
    We'll be brilliant....!!!!

You're forgetting RvP, Ramsey, Arteta, Arshavin and Walcott will all be injured....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Would like to see us line up as such today....

Woj
    Yennaris
    Djourou
    Vermaelen
    Miquel
    Coquelin---Song
    Oxo
    Arshavin
    Henry
    RVP

Walcott needs to be dropped to hopefully knock the prima-donna 'I can do no wrong' attitude out of him and he also needs to be dropped coz he's just not good at football tbh.

Mertesacker needs a break as does Koscielny. I know Arteta could be back but wouldn't like to see us risk him in this game, especially not now we'll probably be without Jack for the rest of the season.

Would like to see Arshavin get a start centrally, I know he's been poor, but Ramsey needs a break and hopefully a good game in the hole for Shave means we can give Ramsey a couple of games rest that he badly needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is the match on TV today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Quazzie wrote: »
    Is the match on TV today?

ESPN @ 4.00

Frisbee wrote: »
    Would like to see us line up as such today....

Woj
    Yennaris
    Djourou
    Vermaelen
    Miquel
    Coquelin---Song
    Oxo
    Arshavin
    Henry
    RVP

Walcott needs to be dropped to hopefully knock the prima-donna 'I can do no wrong' attitude out of him and he also needs to be dropped coz he's just not good at football tbh.

Mertesacker needs a break as does Koscielny. I know Arteta could be back but wouldn't like to see us risk him in this game, especially not now we'll probably be without Jack for the rest of the season.

Would like to see Arshavin get a start centrally, I know he's been poor, but Ramsey needs a break and hopefully a good game in the hole for Shave means we can give Ramsey a couple of games rest that he badly needs.

He definitely won't be leaving that many out as much as they may need rests. Is Sagna back today?

Noo wrote: »
    He definitely won't be leaving that many out as much as they may need rests. Is Sagna back today?

Realistically it's just Kosc, Mert and Ramsey being kept out.

I left Walcott out not because we need to keep him fir, but rather he's playing absolutely shít and doesn't deserve to be starting. Sagna and Arteta are still not fully fit so it's just a case of not risking them.

I don't think he will go with that team, but I'd just like to see us try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,222 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If Wenger names Walcott in the team today then he has lost the plot.
    This lad is just not good enough for Arsenal. We'd be better with just 10.

That reminds me of something from the RTE lads a couple seasons ago.

Graeme Souness: Its harder to play against ten, than against eleven.
    Eamon Dunphy: Then why doesn't everyone just start with ten?
    Graeme Souness: Well.....ehh...

It was quite funny seeing Souness completely lost for words so soon after making such a confidant statement :pac:

He's a hugely frustrating player, that's for sure. Still 4 assists and 3 goals is surely more rewarding than playing with 10.

Yep looks like Sagna is starting today :).

Yep looks like Sagna is starting today :).

Yeah I've never gotten this "risking players" malark, if they are back in full training and pass a fitness test then they are fine to play, they're gonna have to be brought back for their first full game at some stage. Like with verm last week.

Anyways welcome back chewbacary, you've been missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd definitely start him since Gervinho is at the ACN.

• Advertisement

My bad look like I got it wrong Sagna not starting, but at least he made the bench.

My bad look like I got it wrong Sagna not starting, but at least he made the bench.

Haha well i still stand by my statement! Is the team out?

Edit: oh i see the team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Good result today but kinda makes me even madder when I think about it. The 2nd half display shows what Arsenal can play like if they got their finger out and tried. Just dont see it very often.

Any way, as I said good result and will be playing the winner of Sunderland v Boro next round. With both Manchester teams out could be a trophy we could win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

jonny666 wrote: »

Any way, as I said good result and will be playing the winner of Sunderland v Boro next round.

Home or away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We're away in the next round.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Any way, as I said good result and will be playing the winner of Sunderland v Boro next round. With both Manchester teams out could be a trophy we could win!!
    Still Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in it. Hopefully they either get knocked out in the next round, or draw each other there after. We could do with a handy-ish run for a change. If we avoid those three teams, we shouldnt have many problems (in theroy).

• Advertisement

Hopefully Boro. The further we can keep our players from Lee Cattermole the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Still Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs in it. Hopefully they either get knocked out in the next round, or draw each other there after. We could do with a handy-ish run for a change. If we avoid those three teams, we shouldnt have many problems (in theroy).

All teams I reckon we could take on our day. We could take City on our day too. UTD on the other hand are just a nightmare for Arsenal. I never feel confident against them.

Wengerust have said some harsh words at half time
    And credit where credit is due Walcott was very good second half too

Big result after that awful 1st half. With the squad slowly getting back to full strength, let's hope we can really kick on from here.

Wengerust have said some harsh words at half time
    And credit where credit is due Walcott was very good second half too

yes, I wonder what the result would have been if we'd started with 10 men.;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement