Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

Just finished The Riftwar Saga. Really recommend it, even if some parts of the plot seem a bit flimsy. First proper series I've read on my on my Kindle, it passed the test with flying colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

'Nine Princes in Amber' - Roger Zelazny. Only decided to read it so I could fully understand the Amber rpg. Can't put it down now. It's an amazing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

ixoy wrote: »
    I got up to Book 5 and then couldn't find any more of them so left the series. Bizarre nonsense. You can see Hubbard's hatred for psychiatry very evident in the series though.

Book 9 was even more anti-psychiatry than the others, and didn't have Soltan Gris really which was a shame. Not as good as I remembered the series, but still a decent read I feel.
    Started Fistborn: Final Empire after all the positive comments on here, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.. I want to get it read before the movie arrives. I'm just over a third through and enjoying it so far - closest thing out there is "Battle Royale".

I enjoyed it and the Battle Royale comparison came to mind straight away as well. It's entertaining but not overly complicated. Unfortunately the sequels didn't live up to the standard IMO.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the film.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just finished The Drawing of the Dark. A good read. :)

Have gone back to SF with The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth.

Haven't read vintage SF in a while so will have to see if I can get past people not having mobile phones. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Reading 'Johannes Cabal - The Fear Institute' which I mainly picked up due to the cover, turns out it's book 3 of a series but no apparent need to have read the first two/major spoilers in this that I can see.

A very entertaining read, if you like your humour deadpan and your main character to be a complete ba$tard, this will be right up your street.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Watcher of the Dead" by J.V. Jones, the fourth book in the Sword of Shadows series. I'm only a small bit into this far but I'm warming to it already. It's fairly bleak and harsh and that rawness is working so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finished Kraken, bit of a mess at the end but it was enjoyable.

Decided to re-read The Name of the Wind. 5 pages in and I'm falling in love all over again.

Finished Kraken, bit of a mess at the end but it was enjoyable.

Decided to re-read The Name of the Wind. 5 pages in and I'm falling in love all over again.

Jeeezzz... rather you than me. Once was more than enough :D

I've just finished re-reading 'The Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. Very funny. Got 'Moving Pictures' lined up next. Just about the only discworld novel I haven't got round to reading yet.

Mistborn: Final Empire was fairly good, while probably continue with the series at some stage, but for now, back to some classic sci-fi.
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, interesting so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

mcgovern wrote: »
    Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, interesting so far.

Waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon next week. Really interested in reading the inspiration for the Stalker games. Ordered Eve Templar One as well, have enjoyed the Eve books so far. Sort of hogging the middle ground between hard sci-fi and popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Philistina

I have just finished "Of Blood and Honey" by Stina Leicht. Until I get my copy of "And Blue Skies from Pain" I get distracted by "Little, big" by John Crowley. :)

JD1763 wrote: »
    Waiting for my copy to arrive from Amazon next week. Really interested in reading the inspiration for the Stalker games. Ordered Eve Templar One as well, have enjoyed the Eve books so far. Sort of hogging the middle ground between hard sci-fi and popcorn.

It was interesting, not sure I could read a full length novel by them though (the ebook had about 170 pages).

Now reading Islands in the Net by Bruce Sterling.

Finished Abercrombie "The First Law" trilogy and really enjoyed them. Glokta has to be one of my favorite new characters in a long while.

I haven't read much Sci-Fi recently but thinking of getting back into it. Any recommendations for an easy going re-introduction? I'm thinking something light enough (spaceship battles maybe?) rather than diving into hard sci-fi!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nine Princes In Amber, it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just finished The Catcher in The Rye, the second time I read it in under a year. Last summer I read it on holiday, and then in February we were told in school we would be studying it! I was incredulous, and though the next month and a bit would be completely boring, but infact I enjoyed the book the second time more... Its such a classic book, and I think most of my class atleast related to part of it, even though the protagonist is basically clinically depressed

"An Autumn War" by Daniel Abraham, the third book in his Long Price quartet. Set 14 (or so) years on from the second book, I'm so far (14%) enjoying catching up with some very well rounded characters. Good writing.
    shaneor wrote:
    I haven't read much Sci-Fi recently but thinking of getting back into it. Any recommendations for an easy going re-introduction? I'm thinking something light enough (spaceship battles maybe?) rather than diving into hard sci-fi!
    Can I recommend Neal Asher (mcgovern will back me up)? Lots of high-tech battles, nasty aliens, snarky AIs, and some excellent action sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Neil Asher all the way, started reading him on the advice of Ixoy on a different thread, love him. A series which ive enjoyed just as much is Richard Morgan's Kovacs trilogy, its futuristic noir and very enjoyable.

I started the Hunger Games yesterday, finished it this morning and have just started the second one. Really nice easy read and enjoyable.

Can I recommend Neal Asher (mcgovern will back me up)? Lots of high-tech battles, nasty aliens, snarky AIs, and some excellent action sequences.

Looks interesting. Where's the best place to start? Gridlinked looks like his first one.

The only thing putting me off is how many books there are in the series, I already have enough on my to-read list :D

shaneor wrote: »
    Looks interesting. Where's the best place to start? Gridlinked looks like his first one.
    "Gridlinked" is the best place to start. There's 5 books in that but it'd be easier to point you here. You'll see some books are part of a series and others are stand alone but set in the same universe. There won't be too many connections in there but then you shouldn't read "The Technician" (for example) before the Agent Cormac series...

• Advertisement

Yep, would definitely recommend Neal Asher's Polity books. You'll fly through them all once you start!

Just started the 4th in the Wild Cards series, Aces Abroad. Am really enjoying these novels. They're a great little diversion from the usual fare.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Nine Princes In Amber, it's class.

It certainly is...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

buyer95 wrote: »
    Just finished The Catcher in The Rye, the second time I read it in under a year. Last summer I read it on holiday, and then in February we were told in school we would be studying it! I was incredulous, and though the next month and a bit would be completely boring, but infact I enjoyed the book the second time more... Its such a classic book, and I think most of my class atleast related to part of it, even though the protagonist is basically clinically depressed
    Not sure why this is here... but I hated Catche in the Rye. On The Road, ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Starting Feist's Chaos Wars after reading others. Enjoying them but thought the demon wars was the weakest of the lot.

Finished Islands in the Net, which was pretty good. Sterlings view of what the Net would be like wasn't spot on, but he got most of the effects of it right I think, which was pretty good for 24 years ago!
    Since I brought the missus to see The Hunger Games on Friday, I'm starting Catching Fire, to see if the parts that I thought shouldn't have been left out of the film, have any bearing on the second book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Wasn't hugely taken with Asher, to be honest...would always recommend Iain M Banks ahead of him. The Player Of Games is little short of phenomenal.

Wasn't hugely taken with Asher, to be honest...would always recommend Iain M Banks ahead of him. The Player Of Games is little short of phenomenal.

Banks is very good as well, but can be harder to get into, especially for someone trying to ease their way back into sci-fi. Asher is more accessible I think, and easier reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Banks is a more innovative writer but OTOH good ol' Neal whips out a new book every 6 months or so....
    I like 'em both :p

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Islands in the Net, which was pretty good. Sterlings view of what the Net would be like wasn't spot on, but he got most of the effects of it right I think, which was pretty good for 24 years ago!
    Since I brought the missus to see The Hunger Games on Friday, I'm starting Catching Fire, to see if the parts that I thought shouldn't have been left out of the film, have any bearing on the second book.

Finished Catching Fire, a lot less action and a lot more, "maybe I love Peeta, no, maybe I love Gale, no, maybe I don't love anyone" and assorted other feeling sorry for her self monologues. Still, they are quite short and 2 down, so going to read the third next to finish them off.

Advertisement