Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Eir should do a Tv distribution deal with Eleven Sports.

That might keep their UFC fans happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

the big losers here are the Eir broadband customers who have been using sky boxes for FTA without a sky sub for the eir sport pack ( me included with two sky boxes)

kooga wrote: »
    the big losers here are the Eir broadband customers who have been using sky boxes for FTA without a sky sub for the eir sport pack ( me included with two sky boxes)

Yep, plus they are currently in HD as well. For next season you'll be paying for BT plus another fee for them in HD. Unbelievable tbh that Sky can still get away with flogging HD as some sort of premium extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Yep, plus they are currently in HD as well. For next season you'll be paying for BT plus another fee for them in HD. Unbelievable tbh that Sky can still get away with flogging HD as some sort of premium extra.

I doubt if Sky can charge for the BT channels to be in HD. They'll be sold as a hd package only. BT won't waste transponder space broadcasting in sd.

Now TV may well be the best option next season if it carries the BT channels.

I can't see people not currently subscribed to sky signing up to pay for these. It is a big outlay with sky's basic tv charges.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Freesports has appeared on Sky ROI EPG #429 tonight. No announcement so may be a mistake, but if it is for keeps, its interesting timing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

icdg wrote: »
    Freesports has appeared on Sky ROI EPG #429 tonight. No announcement so may be a mistake, but if it is for keeps, its interesting timing.

It's showing on the Sky+ app too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

HD version of freesport is listed as coming to Sky and Freesat expected by end of 2018

There was a test HD channel operating a few months ago that you could manualy tune on a sky box
    This test transmission has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

FreeSports HD is exclusive to Virgin Media UK unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Great news for Irish fans of ice hockey.

So it’s official. A pleasant surprise (and one I’m particularly surprised eir is happy to go with).

http://twitter.com/freesportsuk/status/1059842858738479104?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

SetantaGo's online service looks like it's been pulled. Hasn't worked for the past week.

I presume it will come to freesat too.
    It would make sense to have reruns of pro14 games on the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I presume it will come to freesat too.
    It would make sense to have reruns of pro14 games on the channel.

It's been on Freesat for a while now

joe_99 wrote: »
    It's been on Freesat for a while now

HD hasn't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Been illegally streaming all my PL matches for the last 3 or 4 seasons now so I haven’t been keeping up with who has the rights to everything. What subs would someone need now in Ireland to watch all the available PL matches and the rough cost?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Been illegally streaming all my PL matches for the last 3 or 4 seasons now so I haven’t been keeping up with who has the rights to everything. What subs would someone need now in Ireland to watch all the available PL matches and the rough cost?

Thanks.

One way is get your broadband with Eir so you get the matches on BT (well until the end of this season anyway) and buy a Now TV Sports package for €39 a month. That'll cover all PL and CL/EL matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Dindane wrote: »
    SetantaGo's online service looks like it's been pulled. Hasn't worked for the past week.

I thought it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Thanks.

Sky Sports and the Eir Sports package are needed to watch the Premier League in Ireland this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

Dindane wrote: »

I thought that at the weekend. Couldn't get it on chrome for the Arsenal/Liverpool match. Didn't spend too much time on it.

Tried again last night and I could get it on Safari.

My eir card on old sky box isn't working tonight.
    It says go to sky.com/quickfix.

Has anyone lost the channels like this before?

I went into the myeir app and paired the card again but it says it could take 24hrs.

• Advertisement

I doubt if Sky can charge for the BT channels to be in HD. They'll be sold as a hd package only. BT won't waste transponder space broadcasting in sd.

Now TV may well be the best option next season if it carries the BT channels.

I can't see people not currently subscribed to sky signing up to pay for these. It is a big outlay with sky's basic tv charges.

I was taking a guess based on their current charging structure in the UK via Sky. This will probably change when the wholesale Sky/BT deal starts early next year over there. At the moment after initial discounts, BT channels in SD are £27.99pm, in HD £34.49.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/sport/sky/
    My eir card on old sky box isn't working tonight.
    It says go to sky.com/quickfix.

Has anyone lost the channels like this before?

I went into the myeir app and paired the card again but it says it could take 24hrs.

Eir/BT channels ok here on a Sky HD box. Always worked since initially activated via Eir online account.

confirmed by a516 digital this is great news - Italy v Georgia this Saturday at 1.55pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

kooga wrote: »
    confirmed by a516 digital this is great news - Italy v Georgia this Saturday at 1.55pm

I had a look at it, the picture quality is appalling, it's very poor SD quality.

They had plans to go HD. Then the Pro14 deal happened, and suddenly getting Premier Sports 2 on air became the priority.

There will be a FreeSports HD on Virgin UK, so it’s not inconceivable that it may happen at some later stage.

I agree, it’s very bad quality. But look on the bright side, if you don’t have an eir Sport sub, this channel is giving you a chunk of their content for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

They had plans to go HD. Then the Pro14 deal happened, and suddenly getting Premier Sports 2 on air became the priority.

There will be a FreeSports HD on Virgin UK, so it’s not inconceivable that it may happen at some later stage.

I agree, it’s very bad quality. But look on the bright side, if you don’t have an eir Sport sub, this channel is giving you a chunk of their content for free.

True, even bad SD is a start, as you say, hopefully it will go HD on satellite at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,841 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im kinda lost as to what FreeSport will actually be showing live. Looking at their website Pro14 is listed but will that just be repeats of games and not live? I cant tell as there are no Pro14 fixtures for the next couple of weeks and their TV listings dont extend that far anyhow

There is an international break in rugby at the moment. Italy v Georgia is on Saturday at 2pm. There’s also the Copa Libradortes final later that day and live NHL on Sunday.

Be warned, their advance schedule tends to change a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

I was taking a guess based on their current charging structure in the UK via Sky. This will probably change when the wholesale Sky/BT deal starts early next year over there. At the moment after initial discounts, BT channels in SD are £27.99pm, in HD £34.49.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/sport/sky/

Have to say, BT prices are very expensive in the UK - is that actually more than Sky Sports? I always thought they were more a value proposition to Sky Sports, clearly not anymore.

Signed up with Eir Vision this summer, and have been enjoying have legit access to a decent chunk of sports coverage hassle free. Looks like it will be back to finding streams again next year, or just not bothering at all really. Their loss!

muffler wrote: »
    Im kinda lost as to what FreeSport will actually be showing live. Looking at their website Pro14 is listed but will that just be repeats of games and not live? I cant tell as there are no Pro14 fixtures for the next couple of weeks and their TV listings dont extend that far anyhow

since the start of the season they have showed one live pro 14 game per round for example last sunday it was Cardiff v zebre which overlapped the two irish games in SA

• Advertisement

The BT Sport UK prices are substantially cheaper with BT Broadband. I’m not sure it’s really a guide to what pricing will be like over here. At the moment Sky Sports is €40 and Eir and BT together is €27.50. I’m not sure I could bear another €35 on top of that for BT alone. The obvious casualty is eir Sport, but then I’d lose the Pro14.

Advertisement