Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭fman

They seem to have the weekend games listed on Onefootball. I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the site but looks to me like Saturday's games are listed.

It still feels like a placeholder. Much like the french league there could be a proper deal done before the leagues come back after the international break. Serie a though will be odd with TNT having those 2 games a week locked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah, I can see that now. They've put it up since I checked this morning. The matches are available to watch on the Serie A Pass. I can't see any information on how to get it or how much it costs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Now fairly clear that the information that TNT would broadcast the Chelsea v Servette game was indeed given out in error and it will be live on their clubs site PPV only:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/how-to-watch-chelsea-vs-servette

The problem is that it was given out on TNT’s official website and taken at face value by other media outlets and has been repeated. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TonyK45

!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Premier using the world feed commentary tonight for Young Boys v Galatasaray in the CL.

Hopefully they keep this going forward

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Advertisement

They didn’t last night, they had their own commentary.

Meanwhile I see Premier’s current schedules prioritise Laliga (who are playing an almost full gameweek - exempting Betis whose game against Getafe has been postponed due to a Conference League game - on a European match night which UEFA at least used to frown upon). Right now they’ve no Champions League game on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Of course this is Premier who make a virtue of “schedules subject to change”, and nobody’s really being inconvenienced by it (at least if they have Prime Video) but could they not put the Laliga on Premier 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

out of curiosity if you are a ps roi subscriber can you watch via the other channels ps gb (ex Viaplay) on your sky box . Ps 2 seems to be the same across the two territories

The reverse is possible , or is that because I’m in NI and I ember in the past have eir sports 1 on my epg. But I stand to be corrected on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Young Boys vs. Galatasaray

- Steve Wilson and Alan Smith.

Thats the world feed used by Premier last night. Not a fan of Sky’s Smith but I do like Wilson.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

it used to be possible, I suspect if it’s possible one way it’s still possible the other.

On Tuesday night, for Lille v Slavia Prague, it was Premier’s own commentary, Con Murphy and Kenny Cunningham (who was double jobbing on the studio panel too).

• Advertisement

It looks like it's the same again for Serie A this weekend on OneFootball. All games free, except for the two being broadcast on TNT.

And icdg as soon as you've said it, they've updated.

Tue 27 Galatasaray v Young Boys (which is the Prime (UK) pick also)

Wed 28 Red Star v Bodo - (which RTÉ have relegated to the News Channel, because they are showing Para Olympics)

What this means for Premiers is that La Liga will go to Premier Sports UK.

Premier have also confirmed the PL fixtures for Oct.

5th Chelsea v Forest

19 Man U v Brentford

26 Villa v Bournmouth

You’d almost think Michael O’Rourke was reading this thread!

Gives more credence to my theory that RTE and Premier are tied to showing the same games on Wednesday, but I’ll come back to that maybe in the Champions League thread after some of the group stages, sorry I mean the League Phase, have played out.

There’s some suggestion Viaplay’s deal to broadcast European Qualifiers and Nations League football wasn’t part of the sale back to Premier Sports or that the rights have been handed back and there’s now no UK broadcaster for those games. Odd situation if true but right now they are not in the Premier Sports schedule for 5th September…

I was just thinking the same - so England and Wales are ok with ITV and S4C respecitively, but that leaves N. Ireland and Scotland without coverage!

I've been noticing for the past couple of days, they are filling the schedule with La Liga 2, and a couple of 8pm games from Top 14 Rugby (Sat & Sun evening). I initially put it down to a scheduling mistake - but it's got this late - they've now missed the deadline for the printed weekly tv guides - hmmm?

The Top14 is back that weekend but Laliga 2 is an odd one, I guess they have the rights but I’d have to think the interest in that particular division either here or in the UK would be limited at best.

The journalist, James Horncastle, said on The Totally Football pod, that the Serie A Pass on One Football will cost €80 for the season. He also said that it will all be free again this weekend

It was also said on that podcast, that Ligue 1 are launching their own streaming service via their website, with access to all games, for €10 a month.

Post edited by Acosta on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That Ligue 1 service didn't show games here that are in the UK blackout window. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

Eleven Sports did the same too when they had the rights to various leagues in Ireland.

I sent a Facebook message to them at the time. Basically they said they were working on it but in reality they were just too lazy to seperate the streams for the two states.

• Advertisement

Here is Premier Sports' live output (everything else is recorded) for the International Break week-end. It can only lead me to conclude that the RoI website is wrong. Why would you duplicate La Liga 2 on both Premier Sport 2 and Premier Sport 1 RoI and not show Top 14!

Friday, September 6, 2024
    01:00 Argentina v Chile - World Cup Qualifier - Premier Sport 1
    20:00 Tenerife v Santander - La Liga 2 - Premier Sport 1
    Saturday, September 7, 2024
    02:00 Brazil v Ecuador - World Cup Qualifier - Premier Sport 1
    13:30 Bayonne v Perpignan - Top 14 Rugby - Premier Sport 1 UK
    15:15 Granada v Deportivo - La Liga 2 - Premier Sport 2
    17:30 Gijon v Real Oviedo - La Liga 2 - Premier Sport 1
    20:05 Bordeaux v Stade Francais - Top 14 Rugby - Premier Sport 1
    Sunday, September 8, 2024
    16:00 La Rochelle v Toulon - Top 14 Rugby - Premier Sport 1 UK
    17:30 Real Zaragoza v Elche - La Liga 2 - Premier Sport 2
    20:05 Vannes v Toulouse - Top 14 Rugby - Premier Sport 1

Post edited by TonyK45 on

I don't know what I was thinging when I posted the PL games for October -

of course they can't pick Chelsea v Forest on Sat 5th Oct - because it's moving to Sunday 6th - and I knew that already - my brain wasn't switched on that day. Just because Premier say they are going to show doesn't mean it to be so.

Likely to be Arsenal v Southampton instead - sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

interesting the ps uk website can’t be accessed in roi - and why on the Irish website no listing for ps2

And the reverse is not true - you can access the RoI site from UK!

RoI Website now corrected with Top 14 on both Premier Sport 1 UK and RoI

Expect changes if a last minute deal is done over the Nations League. Not looking good at the moment. Can’t believe this particular package of rights was somehow overlooked in the sale - it makes absolutely no sense that Viaplay would have held onto them when it was clear that they were exiting the UK market and had no platform to utilise them. Can’t say UEFA will be happy if there’s no cameras at Hampden Park or Windsor Park on Thursday night either - it will mean no coverage for the visiting countries (Poland and Luxembourg respectively) either.

Post edited by icdg on

Last minute deal done by ITV to show both. There would have been cameras there anyway, becuase the whistle to whistle coverage is not done by rights buyer - rather it is managed by the rights selller. e.g Sky or TNT do not provide match coverage of the Premier League - this is the responsiblity of the Premier League itself - which is all mangaged by Stockley Park. What the rights buyer does is provide their own commentary team and pre-and post match TV coverage.

Premier are tied for Tuesday games to the Amazon Prime deal for the UK. Which is first pick of the Tuesday night game. So whatever Amazon pick for the UK, will be the Premier Sports game in RoI. You could be right on the Wednesday games with RTÉ.

So far amazon have picked

Milan v Liverpool - (as have Premier - confirmed)

Arsenal v PSG

Arsenal v Shaktar

Liverpool v Leverkusen

Man City v Feyenoord

That’s not always the case (and isn’t for UEFA) and depends on the sport and competition. There are competitions, such as the Olympics and Formula One, where what you outline above is indeed the case, and the organisations concerned have their own fully fledged in house broadcarting organisations (eg OBS or FOM). For most sports however, that is not the case, and the domestic rights holders are the host broadcasters. For the Premier League this is Sky, TNT and the BBC, and they do indeed produce the broadcasts of matches (or contract someone else, like Sunset and Vine or Whisper or the like, to do so).

Premier League Productions do not produce Premier League match coverage. They are responsible for the “world feed”, that is a feed with added PL branded graphics and commentary, which is made available to overseas broadcasters. They also go beyond most leagues in providing an “enhanced world feed”, with PLP branded wrap around studio coverage and programming made available. As far as I know the only other league that does that is Laliga, who have Laliga TV in both Spanish and English.

Most sporting organisations do not have the resources, or the know how, to produce television coverage of a match. Those that do (like Olympics or Formula One) are very much a minority. The fact that some sports require broadcasters to use branded match graphics isn’t indicative that the competition organiser is producing the match at all.

• Advertisement

Wednesday Game now confirmed both Premier Sports and RTÉ - Celtic v Slovan

Premier are also showing Atalanta v Arsenal on Thurdsay - so 3 picks for them in one week.

What we have now is over-kill with the Celtic game on three channels two of which are on Sky Sports Extra;

and five games on free-to-air (RoI only) four on Virgin and one on RTÉ.

Doesn’t that give more credence to the “RTE’s rights are tied to Premier’s” theory? All four games we know about being simulcasts. The other alternative is that UEFA are picking the top picks, but if they were, I reckon Man City v Inter would have gotten picked instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Gold7

Virgin Media More are also Showing Scotland v Poland for VM Customers, ch 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Gold7

Sorry VM More doesn't seem to be showing Scotland v Poland

It might be on ITV4, given the schedule change came so late they might not have requested the block?

Virgin TV Irleland have three different listing schedules for Virgin More - none of which they are sticking to.

One list they summitted to the UK/Irl site for TV listings (this what updates your Sky/Virgin boxes) and appears in TV listings magazine (You have the option to add this channel to the Radio Times listings)

One list is on the Virgin App TV Guide

and yet another is on Virgin Anytime TV Guide

All three are different and wrong!

• Advertisement

Another interesting development is that Viaplay have decided to put all the Nations League games on their YouTube site for free! (Viaplay International)

But although they hold the rights for both UK and Rep. of Ireland - they are restricing access only to those with a UK IP address!

There appears to be no commentary on any of the Viaplay games on YouTube.

They may not in this case - the first 2022-24 deal, done by Premier, did include non-exclusive rights in Ireland (shared with VMTV).

But what got us (or the UK anyway) into the mess in the first place was that this new deal, 2024-28, was done by Viaplay Group in Stockholm rather than Viaplay UK in Dublin (yes, Viaplay UK was entirely based in Ireland). And Viaplay never had any concrete plans that we know of to enter the ROI market - they left Premier with their residual Irish operation - and from what I can see they never bought any ROI rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭fman

Stories from various sites today that George Hamilton has gone to Premier, specifically mentioning their UEFA games.

They’ve been busy on the media offensive today at Premier. As well as the widely reported George Hamilton story, another RTE alumni, Ryle Nugent, has a substantial interview with the Irish Times (leaky paywall). Not much new save for the fact that they want to give Connacht’s European Challenge Cup campaign better coverage than it has got of late.

Nugent appears to be running Premier Ireland now, I knew he was heading up the Asian operation alright.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/09/11/rugby-enters-new-phase-as-premier-sports-gains-blanket-coverage-of-irish-provinces/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Stewball

Are Premier adding another channel on the Sky EPG?

they are launching a rugby channel in November/December, but no details of platforms/availablity nor is that likely for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surely this will give him the opportunity to reprise his most iconic bon mot, with somebody other than Real Madrid armoured up of course

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ZaK23-54

is there a shortage of good soccer commentators at the moment?
    Any suggestions to replace George at RTÉ?

He has already been replaced. By Darragh Moloney. He was replaced about three years ago. He was still there, doing mainly WNT matches. But as the senior commentator, he had fallen out of favour for a few years.

But this isn’t really the thread to discuss George Hamilton from a leaving RTE perspective.

The "Serie A Pass" on One Football still hasn't materialised. All the matches this weekend are PPV (€4.99)

TNT should have kept some of the European football it dumped and instead shed some of the pointless 1 and a half hours of filler they broadcast before EPL matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am after purchasing now tv with hd boost for 15eur p/m. Am I right that the extra sports package will just have 2 premier channels, so a good chance that some of the urc rugby games won't be shown.

How much is the urc season pass and is there an app for lg tvs or is just chromecast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The EPG for next weekend shows URC getting preference over La Liga. The two channels have two live URC games on Friday at the same time for example.

There’s always been some URC games not shown, despite the initial commitment to show all games. The Irish provinces games are nearly all covered, and when they aren’t, it’ll usually be in circumstances where RTE or TG4 are covering the game. I don’t think there was any game involving an Irish team that didn’t get any TV coverage between Premier and RTE/TG4/BBC combined.

When the rugby channel arrives, sometime around the start of December, it should hopefully mean all games get covered from then on, and better coverage of the Top14 too.

TLDR; I wouldn’t bother with both Premier Sports and URC TV. By all means go with URC TV if you’ve no interest in anything else on Premier Sports but there’s not enough of a gap between the two to justify paying for both. URC TV is €60 for the season, there are no smart tv apps but you might be able to cast/airplay from a mobile device.

Also do remember Premier Sports has other rugby; the Top 14, Champions Cup, and European Challenge Cup, none of which you’ll get on URC TV.

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement
Advertisement