Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There is nothing on longwave that doesn't go out on FM anymore apart from Mass, They could easily put the Mass on one of the FM networks if there was a demand for it.
    what fm network. having it on the longwave which can easily target the irish in britain is the best way. compared to some of the things RTE have spent money on over the years that didn't bare fruit, this is something worth spending the money to keep it on air until such time as suitable easy to use technology is fully and widely availible.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Radio_Fan_67

what fm network. having it on the longwave which can easily target the irish in britain is the best way. compared to some of the things RTE have spent money on over the years that didn't bare fruit, this is something worth spending the money to keep it on air until such time as suitable easy to use technology is fully and widely availible.

Not another deluded Digital Radio Mondiale fanatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There is nothing on longwave that doesn't go out on FM anymore apart from Mass, They could easily put the Mass on one of the FM networks if there was a demand for it.

If thats the case, then Lyric would seem to be the ideal place for Mass.

Not another deluded Digital Radio Mondiale fanatic
    impossible to be deluded as i never even mentioned Digital Radio Mondiale. so i'd suggest you keep your silly little failed insultes to yourself. good man.

and anyway i was responding to a poster who was claiming that the lack of DAB radio coverage in the republic of ireland was going to disadvantage longwave listeners.

• Advertisement

and anyway i was responding to a poster who was claiming that the lack of DAB radio coverage in the republic of ireland was going to disadvantage longwave listeners.
    you wrote what you wrote in reply to my post. no point in backtracking now

you wrote what you wrote in reply to my post. no point in backtracking now

Yep it did read like you were hinting at Digital Radio Mondiale. apologies if i was wrong.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

i did not make any serially inaccurate claims so nothing to be called out on. move on

Yes, you did. You have repeatedly said the BBC "wanted" to close down longwave, when this hasn't happened.

You are confusing reality with your opinion on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

impossible to be deluded as i never even mentioned Digital Radio Mondiale. so i'd suggest you keep your silly little failed insultes to yourself. good man.

Just out of interest, what suitable technology did you mean, if not DRM? If neither satellite nor internet are a solution, I don't see where they can go from here.

L1011 wrote: »
    Yes, you did.

no, i didn't.
    You have repeatedly said the BBC "wanted" to close down longwave, when this hasn't happened.

they do wish to close it eventually. just because it hasn't happened so far doesn't make it less true. the reason they haven't closed it is because people rely on it and it is politically sensitive, + its other uses.

wrong. no i'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

they do wish to close it eventually. just because it hasn't happened so far doesn't make it less true. the reason they haven't closed it is because people rely on it and it is politically sensitive, + its other uses.

Prove it.

All they've said is they can't keep the current TX running indefinitely.

wrong. no i'm not.

You've done this all thread. Starting from your opinion of someone being "entitled" to something was turned in to a decree that they were entitled, and so on.

Your opinions are opinions - not facts. Stop presenting them as such.

Prove it.

i'm not going to waste my time.
    All they've said is they can't keep the current TX running indefinitely.

right so.
    You've done this all thread.

i haven't.
    Starting from your opinion of someone being "entitled" to something was turned in to a decree that they were entitled, and so on.

wrong again.
    Your opinions are opinions - not facts.

how do you know what they are or aren't.
    Stop presenting them as such.

no i won't, because i haven't being doing any such thing. you don't get to tell me what to do. especially as you are the one twisting things.

i'm not going to waste my time.

Because it is, again, your opinion and that's all.

You cannot go declaring your opinion as fact - repeatedly - and then try to claim its off-topic when you're told you're wrong.

You're still doing it - insisting that your opinion on entitlement is fact. Its not, its your opinion. You really, really need to begin to understand this concept.

Far too much bickering in this thread. At the end of the day, all we can do now is wait until 2016-2017 and see what happens.

Because it is, again, your opinion and that's all.

is it?
    You cannot go declaring your opinion as fact - repeatedly - and then try to claim its off-topic when you're told you're wrong.

i haven't. you can't go around making up stuff and twisting peoples points and disrupting.
    ou're still doing it - insisting that your opinion on entitlement is fact.

no, i'm not.
    Its not, its your opinion.

you don't seem to know what it is . i'd suggest you give up.
    You really, really need to begin to understand this concept.

i all ready do. you don't get to tell me what i understand and don't, only i know what i do and don't understand. now as i said, move on

you can't go around making up stuff and twisting peoples points and disrupting.

Where, precisely, has this happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Far too much bickering in this thread. At the end of the day, all we can do now is wait until 2016-2017 and see what happens.

But what can possibly happen? LW isn't going to stage a miraculous comeback, elderly expats aren't going to become any more tech savvy. So what's going to change by 2017?

Are we going to wait, as Brian D'Arcy suggests, until enough old people die and it's not as much of an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Yes, you did. You have repeatedly said the BBC "wanted" to close down longwave, when this hasn't happened.

The BBC have been attempting to shut the BBC Radio 4 on LW 198KHz frequency for quite some time. They have tested the reaction by making their intentions known on Radio 4 LW (LongWave) and after many complaints were received they were later forced to reassure listeners (particularly those who were likely to be adversely affected by such a move) that it "signalled the beginning of the move away from it" and it has a few years to run on LW yet. Most intelligent people know that this would have happened much sooner only because the complaints received raised valid concerns for those who would have been most negatively affected.

Below are a few samples of media coverage around 2011 on the matter:

http://www.u.tv/News/Radio-4-controller-reassures-listeners-over-stations-future/9d3dd4eb-0eac-46ed-af96-6a057c0bbfe2

http://www.newstatesman.com/broadcast/2011/10/long-wave-radio-service-bbc

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bbcs-test-match-special-faces-84681

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/posts/radio_4s_longwave_transmitter_and_cuts_to_bbc_radio

http://www.ex-bbc.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1318238625

The latest time frame for RTÉ Radio One going off on LW 252KHz is now apparently May, 2017

The BBC have been attempting to shut the BBC Radio 4 on LW 198KHz frequency for quite some time. They have tested the reaction by making their intentions known on Radio 4 LW (LongWave) and after many complaints were received they were later forced to reassure listeners (particularly those who were likely to be adversely affected by such a move) that it "signalled the beginning of the move away from it" and it has a few years to run on LW yet. Most intelligent people know that this would have happened much sooner only because the complaints received raised valid concerns for those who would have been most negatively affected.

http://www.u.tv/News/Radio-4-controller-reassures-listeners-over-stations-future/9d3dd4eb-0eac-46ed-af96-6a057c0bbfe2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/posts/radio_4s_longwave_transmitter_and_cuts_to_bbc_radio

The Mirror article is just sensationalist nonsense.

Another link is just an article explaining about the valves and another link is merely a message board which is quoting the article about valves.

Nothing new to see there.
    When i did a search earlier to see if i had missed all the "public outcry", those were what i found along with Digital Spy posts. Didnt thankfully come across the silly Mirror link.

• Advertisement

The latest time frame for RTÉ Radio One going off on LW 252KHz is now apparently May, 2017

See you again then so :)

If we don't meet on a similar thread on this very topic between now and May 2017, then we may otherwise get to debate in other thread topic on another broadcasting issue :)

No - they've been stating the not indefinite life of the transmitter - which is what I said and what the reliable links there say too.

There's even specific quotes in those articles saying they don't want to close it!

Maybe RTE and us skeptics were wrong and maybe RTE 252 does have 1000s rather than 100s of listeners in the uk ?

I wonder why RTE waited untill this year to close longwave ? They would have gotten away with it easier back around 2011-2012 when the country didn't have a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I wonder why RTE waited untill this year to close longwave ? They would have gotten away with it easier back around 2011-2012 when the country didn't have a pot to piss in.

Think you have answered your own question there🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Infoanon wrote: »
    Think you have answered your own question there🎅

?????????????????

Maybe RTE and us skeptics were wrong and maybe RTE 252 does have 1000s rather than 100s of listeners in the uk ?

I honestly do not know if there is any independent reliable source of audience figures available for those who listen regularly to the Radio 1 via LW 252KHz service in the UK. One would hope that the final decision regarding the latest proposed close down of LW 252, which is now scheduled to take place in May 2017, is made based on highly accurate information.

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas and all the best for 2015! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

It would be very interesting to know how many people actually listen to longwave 252 in the uk and how often they listen.
    Pretty much every day for 20 years. Holidays and 567am excepted.

• Advertisement

The DG of RTÉ, Noel Curran mentioned something about a special focus group examining various cost saving measures across the entire RTÉ organisation which includes the possibility of putting either all or part of the RTÉ Montrose Campus Headquarters on the market and looking at any other assets of notable value too. This report became more urgent in nature due to the current government's decision to kick the so called new "Broadcasting Charge" concept off the agenda.

Perhaps the fast tracking of the shut down of RTÉ Radio One on Longwave 252KHz announced publicly last September may have been just one of several items contained in an interim report of cost saving measures.

I would not be surprised if other cutbacks are announced in other areas too in due course.

Advertisement