Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the womens mini Marathon be banned

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

ixoy wrote: »
    Actually they don't allow that anymore. Someone asked about this and she was annoyed that men couldn't participate in any way as it was meant to be ultimately for charity (as it's definitely not an actual marathon).
    exactly
    I dont want post what the site says because it explicitly denies usage of content but your right it says something along the lines of

the event is strictly female, males are not allowed

not allowed, whats that all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

There are lots of 10 k runs in Dublin city that men and women can sign up for and they don't attract 40,000 people! It's promoted for women and makes a lot of women get off their asses for the first time. I think part of the attraction is the fact it is a women's event. I bet a mens only event wouldn't attract 40,000 men so stop moaning about it and sign up for one of the other 10k races that happen over the summer if you feel really left out ;)

Altough I do agree with the name of it, if another perosn asks me did I do the marathon at the weekend I'll scream....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Calling it anything "marathon" should certainly be stopped. Only two distances can reasonably have that in their title, the marathon distance itself obviously, and a half.

Maybe the "A bit less than a quarter of a marathon only for people in dresses" might be a bit catchier for the future events?

There are lots of 10 k runs in Dublin city that men and women can sign up for and they don't attract 40,000 people! It's promoted for women and makes a lot of women get off their asses for the first time. I think part of the attraction is the fact it is a women's event. I bet a mens only event wouldn't attract 40,000 men so stop moaning about it and sign up for one of the other 10k races that happen over the summer if you feel really left out ;)

Altough I do agree with the name of it, if another perosn asks me did I do the marathon at the weekend I'll scream....

Yes there are plenty of other 10km runs but none are across the city centre I have no problem with these women running around a track, but if they are going to block the city centre for a day I think it should be for a non discriminatory event,
    if twas the other way around would you be so obliging and say no carry on lads, we all know no such race would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Rob_l wrote: »

the event is strictly female, males are not allowed

That didn't work so well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56116630&postcount=883 (photography forum)

In addition to the marathon (and begrudgingly the half). the word marathon is legitimately used in ultramarathons, which are technically anything longer than a marathon but most people start counting at 50km.

• Advertisement

That didn't work so well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56116630&postcount=883 (photography forum)

In addition to the marathon (and begrudgingly the half). the word marathon is legitimately used in ultramarathons, which are technically anything longer than a marathon but most people start counting at 50km.

well if you check my first post I give the definition of a marathon as

1. Sports
    a. A cross-country footrace of 26 miles, 385 yards (42.195 kilometers).
    b. A long-distance race other than a footrace: a swimming marathon.
    a. A contest of endurance: a dance marathon.
    b. An event or activity that requires prolonged effort or endurance

I think your ultra marathons count as a test of endurance but I would certainly say a 10km race does not come anywhere near an endurance race

Yes there are plenty of other 10km runs but none are across the city centre I have no problem with these women running around a track, but if they are going to block the city centre for a day I think it should be for a non discriminatory event,
    if twas the other way around would you be so obliging and say no carry on lads, we all know no such race would be allowed.

I don't know if anyone has ever proposed a men's only veriosn it and I don't know how this veriosn was founded in the first place, but somebody thought it would attract a lot of people and it does, perhaps it's in the city centre because it's so big and it's not feasible to have it anywhere else where transport links aren't as good.

That's not actually the definition you gave in the first post but if you want to bring endurance into it, then I'm afraid a 10 km has to count as an endurance event. It doesn't matter if you base your "endurance" on muscular or cardiovascular, 10 km is an endurance not strength/power event. Look at the fist versus slow twitch muscles of runners, there is little common ground between a 100m sprinter and a 10000 track runner. There is significant similarity between a 10000 runner and a marathon runner, Indeed most of the great marathoners came from the longer track events.

That said, the name "marathon" has come to mean a running event of 26.2 miles endurance and to equate that with a 10 km run, undermines the efforts of those who do the real race. It's slightly different for something like marathon swimming because there are no assumptions about the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I don't know if anyone has ever proposed a men's only veriosn it and I don't know how this veriosn was founded in the first place, but somebody thought it would attract a lot of people and it does, perhaps it's in the city centre because it's so big and it's not feasible to have it anywhere else where transport links aren't as good.

They've had half marathons in the Phoenix park, so I don't see why they couldn't have this little stroll there too.

The problem with the ignorent walkers insisting on remaining at the front happens every year, they'll even try make their way in front of the elite runner group (you have to qualify to get in that group to prove you're fast enough to not get in the way of those behind). Next year they should just issue cattle prods to select runners within the crowd to keep things moving.:D

farohar wrote: »
    They've had half marathons in the Phoenix park, so I don't see why they couldn't have this little stroll there too

I was referring to the number of people (40,000) not the length of the race :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

They shouldn't ban it no, but to make things equal women should be banned from taking part in it too.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    They shouldn't ban it no, but to make things equal women should be banned from taking part in it too.

+1

I was referring to the number of people (40,000) not the length of the race :p
    A papal mass in 1979 saw almost one in three citizens of Ireland assembled in Phoenix Park to see Pope John Paul II celebrate mass.
    http://www.phoenixparkbook.com/history.htm

The road through the Pheonix park, that they use for the half marathon, would also be wider than some of the roads they use for the minimarathon, so I can't see how the numbers would be an issue.

Be honest, you ladies just want to be able to windowshop at the same time, hence strolling instead of running.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭marylou82

Ah yes I would agree if it was only pert bottomed girls allowed to run but this is not the case, the odd mess you say :eek:

Firstly Irish guys are hardly oil paintings..Im sure you're no George Clooney.

Secondly..this race raises loads of money for charity, whats the big deal?? Givin out about traffic disruptions, come on.WALK for god sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I literally cant believe that some posters are being so *petty*
    Who gives a flying fukk what it's called?
    It's a fun event raising money for charities ffs.
    Lighten up for the love of God and stop trying to find fault with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭marylou82

+1

marylou82 wrote: »
    Arrr... 'tis true...:(

When dealing with the stragglers at the tail end of the "race/run" just fit these and you should be fine anyway.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Be honest, you ladies just want to be able to windowshop at the same time, hence strolling instead of running.:D

That makes more sense than anything else in this thread.. Period!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

But they'd potentially double their charity collectings if they allowed men...

Maybe there should be a men's mini marathon then, sponsored by Guinness or Rambo or something to even it out.

Maybe there should be a men's mini marathon then, sponsored by Guinness or Rambo or something to even it out.
    Could end it right outside the brewery and have cans (packed in ice) for sale outside, all the thirsty lads after the run = serious income for Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'd be all for it if they had to run in their underwear.

marylou82 wrote: »

Secondly..this race raises loads of money for charity, whats the big deal?? Givin out about traffic disruptions, come on.WALK for god sake.

Fristly no Im no George clooney otherwise my name would be george clooney

secondly I would have walked but I wasn't allowed enter the big walk through town

Its a sexually discriminatory event

its false and misleadingly named

And Im not finding fault with everything Im finding fault with this particular race

the moonwalk is what you need!

Emmm... no... have you seen some of the ones at the end of it, sure there may be plenty of young ladies, but there are plenty of severly overweight and elderly too don't forget the odd lad in drag too, there are limits to what I can block out and repress, this could scar me for life. Also with Irish weather being what it is I think only those with a smurf fetish would be able to enjoy it most years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Of course there should!
    I propose that the route runs from Darndale, through Sheriff Street and finish in Ballymun.
    Help ye run a bit faster guys ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I run half this distance as a warm up in the gym.

Using the name marathon devaules the effort of those who've ran the 26 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

industria wrote: »
    That makes more sense than anything else in this thread.. Period!

Jaysus don't bring PMS into it. They'll go mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Emmm... no... have you seen some of the ones at the end of it, sure there may be plenty of young ladies, but there are plenty of severly overweight and elderly too don't forget the odd lad in drag too, there are limits to what I can block out and repress, this could scar me for life. Also with Irish weather being what it is I think only those with a smurf fetish would be able to enjoy it most years.

Ah sure I'm cool with whatever they look like.

Everyone has their own tastes, I'll look at the ones I like, other guys can look at chubby ones etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Been telling everyone that you did a "marathon" at the weekend then I guess?

Advertisement